Back in Animal Mode

After a three day weekend in San Francisco and not even taking my Mac outta the bag, I’m back, and off a solid 9 hours of sleep.

Rarin’ to go. Lots of stuff to read from some of you — emails, comments & such. And I have a draft of a post that’ll go out later today.

Onward.

1. Aaron Blaisdell on December 7, 2009 at 10:08

Welcome back! I finally took my SousVide Supreme on her maiden voyage last night. Cooked three free-range chicken breasts with butter and herbs cooked at 140F for 90 mins. They were moist and delicious, though there was a small spot of pink still on one of the breasts. It was so easy! Can’t wait to try steak, pork chops, lamb shanks, etc.

2. Patrik on December 7, 2009 at 12:12

@Aaron

Give us more feedback. I am on the fence.

3. Aaron Blaisdell on December 7, 2009 at 12:53

@Patrick et al. I don’t have much more feedback to give. Basically, my approach to trying a new recipe is to copy and paste it from the website from which I obtain it (in this case, Richard’s post on the SVS chicken), then read over it a dozen times while I execute the steps (I’ve always been the cook by numbers type.). I basically followed much of Richard’s footsteps on this one: I placed each chicken breast in a bag with a slice of butter (the New Zealand grass-fed type I get at WF) and some thyme and rosemary–then vacuum sealed the bags (following Richard’s tip about moistening the seal). I placed it in the waterbath in the SVS when it had reached 140 degrees F. Waited 90 minutes (at which point my wife was breathing down my neck about how hungry she was), then took the bags out of the water, removed the chicken and placed it under the broiler for about 4 minutes, put on a plate and served. I forgot to add salt and didn’t have time to do a reduction (watching the 15 month old and 4 year old) so it was a little bland–though very juicy and succulent. I sprinkled on salt and pepper at the table and served with some french “fries” cooked in bacon drippings in the oven at 425 F for about 25 minutes (turned out very crunchy and tasty).

It was so easy to prepare and easy to clean up afterward.

I do have one question, though. Should I wash the bags and reuse them or do I have to use new bags every time? I washed them just in case.

• Richard Nikoley on December 7, 2009 at 12:57

I wouldn’t reuse the bags. I went and got a FoodSaver at Target and it’s SO WAY EASIER.

• Aaron Blaisdell on December 7, 2009 at 13:54

Thanks for the tip!

• Richard Nikoley on December 7, 2009 at 14:04

One other thing. I got the one I believe is made for Target — it’s black with a stainless lid and uses the rolls. The rolls are great because you can make any size bag you want, as the unit has a seal only function and then vacuum & seal. Eliminates the need for different sizes of zip bags for the handheld units.