Same Shirt: Three Years & 60 Pounds Later

My friend Robert snapped the picture to the left this was cropped from sometime in the spring of 2007, nearly three years ago. The one to the right was Christmas evening, cutting up the prime rib.

It was right around the time I began this most wonderful journey, though I initially began pretty much with the intense workouts first and didn’t incorporate a decent paleo diet and fasting until about six months in.

Three Years 60 Pounds
Three Years & 60 Pounds

That’s the same shirt. The jeans to the left are 40" waist and to the right, 34s. I’ll be in 32s very soon now.

1. Andy on December 28, 2009 at 06:46

Awesome.

I’m on a closely similar track, actually: last June, I weighed right around 240 (I’m a hair over 6′) with a 40 waist and a belly and squishy round face. I started off with Rippetoe’s basic weightlifting program, which led me to read about Crossfit/Zone, which led me to Mark Sisson (and Gary Taubes), which kicked things off round about September.

Since then, I’m down to about 198, and in 34 pants. And I feel a HELL of a lot better than I have in 20 years!

And … it’s been mostly **EASY** to do. EASY! Rock on.

2. Steve Cooksey on December 27, 2009 at 16:40

Congrats RICHARD!!

Excellent work… I know your heart and lungs sincerely appreciate the effort. 🙂

Steve

3. Patrik on December 27, 2009 at 16:53

Nice job Richard! Not only is the weight-loss obvious, but you look 10 years younger as well. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if, metabolically, you are!

4. Jim Purdy on December 27, 2009 at 17:18

Paleo-awesome, dude! Congratulations!

5. Grok on December 27, 2009 at 17:21

Congrats again on taking your life back!

6. Chris Sturdy on December 27, 2009 at 17:56

Fantastic job on the transformation! The change in the way you feel is likely even more dramatic that the change in the body.

BTW: Where’s the prime rib photo? Another post, maybe.

• Richard Nikoley on December 27, 2009 at 18:06

Yea, perhaps. I didn’t take any photos. Waiting for those from my dad & others.

7. William on December 27, 2009 at 21:38

Isn’t the paleo diet wonderful? My pant size also went from 40 waist (at 270 lbs) to 34 (at 220 lbs) since I discovered this site about a year ago.

• Richard Nikoley on December 28, 2009 at 07:03

Good news for you William and do keep it up.

8. Bay Area Sparky on December 27, 2009 at 22:36

Richard,

Great metamorphosis! Hope you got lots of “skinny guy” pants for Christmas. Amazing that you can lead such a rich and hearty lifestyle that improves heart health and sheds pounds. Congratulations on turning your life in the right direction.

• Richard Nikoley on December 28, 2009 at 07:05

Nope, no new pants yet. I already bought 36s, tossed ’em and am now on 34s but they’re all baggy, now. 32s will probably be a wee bit tight until I break 170. Soon.

9. Bryan Rankin on December 28, 2009 at 04:35

I’m not sure what’s in your hand, but I think you should ‘shop in a Twinkie.

10. Skyler Tanner on December 28, 2009 at 05:54

High five, Richard.

Best,
    Skyler

11. […] doing this because I've taken off 60 pounds nice & slowly, have increased strength dramatically, and it's been not only easy, but very […]

12. Jeanie Campbell on December 28, 2009 at 10:25

Much congratulations on all your hard work. I admire such dedication – now on to quitting smoking?? I’ve heard that’s even harder to do than changing one’s diet dramatically. Good health, however, demands it. Best of luck!!

13. John Campbell on December 28, 2009 at 11:48

Rock n roll! – Nothing feels better than pruning the closet as a reminder of how far you have come.

Shopping for new duds is a shock though – a reminder of where you were and where so many people are today.

What a revolution a change in diet can make. Enjoy. Smoking? a little bit can’t hurt – I took up the pipe myself in the last year – the occasional smoke is a treat worth savoring.

14. Michael on December 28, 2009 at 13:55

Congratulations Richard! Having been there myself I know it feels very very good. Keep up the good work.

15. Sue on December 28, 2009 at 19:12

Congratulations Richard. Looking good.

16. san fran J(formerly Minneapolis J on January 7, 2010 at 00:24

look at his face………the puffiness goes away for good in the second pic.

17. Nutrition and Physical Regeneration » 10 Notable Blogs from 2009 on January 11, 2010 at 23:44

[…] Using the principles of Eat Stop Eat (a book whose basic concept both for health and weight loss I highly recommend) he went from 230+ pounds (5′10) in May, 2007, at 33%+ body fat, to 10% bodyfat today, losing 60 net pounds in the process. Got a weight problem? You could do much worse than following Richard’s advice. You can check out his transformation pictures here. […]