Administrivia

First, I’m working on Part V of my series on Saturated Fat & heart Disease. This one is about the "science" and it’s a bit complex so I don’t know whether it’ll be up later today, tomorrow or Monday, but it’ll be up.

Second, I have to admit that while using Twitter has been a pleasant surprise, that has not been the case with Facebook at all. Unless someone is a family member or close personal friend it’s just unwieldy. Plus, just like anyone I don’t necessarily want all of my personal life that I would share with my real life friends and family up for display.

So, enter the Free the Animal "Fan" Page on Facebook. It’s the perfect solution, not only for me to communicate with readers, but for them to more effectively communicate back and with each other in that medium. I’ve declared it a success because in only two days since I created it, it already has a fan count about equal with the number of Facebook friends. So go check it out and feel free to add to it with your Paleo updates, links, food & other photos, or use the discussions feature.

Finally, I will be "unfriending" all those who aren’t my family and personal friends, so when you suddenly can no longer access my personal profile and updates, that’s why.

1. Sharon on January 9, 2010 at 11:45

I completely agree with you on Facebook. I just don’t get accumulating this pile of “Friends” that are not really friends.

I particulary hate it when people ask me to be their Friend but don’t bother to contact me to tell me who the heck they are. They just assume I will remember them from 20 years ago.

Or if I then contact them to say hey, tell me a bit about what you’ve been up to for the last 20 years and they don’t reply back. That is not a friend!

It has been useful for getting in contact with people I have lost touch with. But I don’t have any Friends ’cause I don’t see the point!

I can see the point for exactly what you have said Richard – family and real friends so you can share news or photos.

• Richard Nikoley on January 9, 2010 at 11:57

Yep. I had accumulated around 260 friends and while I love my readers and their comments here and the emails I get, it’s just incongruent to wade through all the status updates and comments just to get to the ones from the people I know personally and have affinity with beyond Paleo. So, I ended up hiding most people’s updates which then defeats the whole purpose of the thing.

Now I’m a happy camper. Incidentally, I got this idea from the way Tim Ferriss set up his fan page.

2. Nigel on January 9, 2010 at 12:51

As you’ve discovered, Friends & Fans are two different things entirely! I never accept friend requests from people that I don’t know. I personally prefer Facebook to Twitter.

3. Greg Smith on January 9, 2010 at 13:25

I use Facebook for personal friends and people I know, twitter is for everyone else. Facebook is trying to push everyone to the twitter model but I think Fan pages are better for that.

4. Sean on January 9, 2010 at 20:34

Do you have any info on the ‘parental’ essential fatty acids? I’ve only seen Brian Peskin talk about it; he references a number of studies, but I’m curious if there’s anything really there.

• Richard Nikoley on January 10, 2010 at 08:21

Well I’ve written a good deal about omega 6 to 3 ratio and how in natural diets the ratio runs anywhere from about 1:2 for the Inuit up to about 4:1. Modern diets are typically 15:1 to 30:1. n-6 is inflammatory and n-3 anti-inflammatory, so it’s a kind of yin-yang thing you want to keep in relative balance, so I don’t use vegetable or seed oils, avoid processed foods as much as possible and I supplement with about 2 grams of salmon oil and 2 grams of cod liver oil per day.

I’ve never heard the term ‘parental’ used, and I’ve never heard of Brian Peskin. But I did find this:

5. anand srivastava on January 12, 2010 at 00:29

I hope you do add some information on Leptin Resistance and Glycation. The two very important pieces of information, that the low carb and low carb paleo community misses.