Dog Pile: Join the Fun

At "Livestrong."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cite high LDL cholesterol as one of the risk factors for heart disease, which is the leading cause of death in the United States. Even with these startling facts, Americans still can’t seem to shake high-cholesterol foods from their diet. Instead of trying to cut out all foods that are high in cholesterol, focus on the top five worst foods for raising cholesterol. Once you’ve stopped consuming them, you may be motivated to make healthier choices overall.

Another "nutrition expert," Jae Ireland, gets it right in the teeth when you read the comments, and I always love seeing that.

So there you go.

1. Richard on January 26, 2010 at 17:24

Sometimes I don’t know why I follow these links you post….. They just anger me…..

Beatle

2. Lyle on January 26, 2010 at 18:01

“Jae Ireland specializes in keyword research and internet marketing.”

Well, there you have it. She’s a professional internet troll.

3. Steve Cooksey on January 26, 2010 at 18:20

Richard… the first comment angered me so… I could not read anymore!!!

There are sooo many fooled by the ADA(s) and their Big Pharma / Agri-Business Paid for “science”…

Damn’t …I almost want to say “Qu’ils mangent de la brioche” or “LET THEM EAT CAKE!”

But I don’t say that… “we” can’t say that… “we” have to keep sharing and spreading the word.

Peace out my brother. 🙂

Steve

4. Stephan on January 26, 2010 at 18:34

Specializes in Keyword Reasearch? Yep, she sounds like an expert in nutrition to me…

5. John Campbell on January 26, 2010 at 19:12

Please people, we have nothing to fear from big pharma.

Big pharma – big brother – and I am not paranoid, but perhaps the time has come. Another reason to stay healthy and avoid pills.

• Dave, RN on January 27, 2010 at 10:15

John, in the homecare industry (in which I work) there’s been a big push for several years for the ability to remotely monitor a patients vital signs in their homes and have the data transmitted to the office. While this technology still relies on the patient to interact with a device in their home, I told our ownership 5 years ago that it’s just a matter of time before we have devices available to implant under the skin to gather and transmit the data… something I find frightening. What’s more scary is that once it’s available, people will clamor for it. Funny how we want our privacy, and then yet we don’t…

• Grok on January 27, 2010 at 11:41

Dave,

Before Digital Angel came out thats kind of what they were touting in their press release stuff. I immediately bought the stock with the very little money a fresh out of HS kid had.

I remember that stock quadrupling or more in a year. Wish I’d kept it. Had to sell it because I “needed” the money. Probably to buy parts for my motocross bike because I spend all my money on Minute Mart heat lamp food. 🙁

6. ken on January 26, 2010 at 20:05

Utterly ridiculous. That such a foundation would hire someone dumber than ME to pontificate on dietary matters.
    At least the commenters set it straight, thanks to your attention, Richard.

7. Michael on January 26, 2010 at 20:19

I think the author of that article is following me on twitter…hmmm…maybe she will learn something.

8. Jim Purdy on January 26, 2010 at 20:26

Aw, give her a break. She can’t possibly be any worse than all the other self-proclaimed experts like her who don’t know what they’re talking about. I take all of them with a healthy dose of skepticism.

The 50 Best Health Blogs

9. austin on January 26, 2010 at 21:20

And this is why people who’ve seen me stuff my face with eggs, bacon and butter think I’m lying when I tell them my cholesterol numbers, even though I have the doctor’s report to prove it. LOL

10. Chris on January 26, 2010 at 23:32

Do read the comments. I like that there is now a cohort of people who can get out there and challenge the conventional wisdom. We need to start fighting back more.

• Carla on January 27, 2010 at 12:48

I was thinking that also, that there are people who aren’t just lapping these lies up.

11. Grok on January 27, 2010 at 01:29

LMFAO. There’s lots of doozies over at Livestrong.

Too bad Lance can’t screen all this shit. I can’t believe he’d let it through.

12. Mallory on January 27, 2010 at 09:21

that is simply ridiculous… money making industry the statins are…

13. reinman60 on January 27, 2010 at 14:18

Unbelieveable…

My comment at “Livestrong”:

This article has to be among the “Top 5 Worst Posts on Nutrition.” I’m glad to see so many well informed commenters who reject this advice and see it for what it really is: nonsense.

I began eating a very low carb (<30g./day) paleo diet 6 months ago. My diet includes lots of good, heart healthy saturated fat and cholesterol from grass-fed beef, pastured eggs and heavy cream.

Pre paleo diet: 203 lbs. (6'1", 56yrs.)
    TG 257
    LDL 178
    HDL 54
    BP 134/82 (with 2 anti hypertensives)

Now: 168 lbs.
    TG 39
    LDL 81
    HDL 103
    BP 124/68 (no blood pressure medication)

I think the results speak for themselves. By the way, I've done this without a statin.

It seems that every week, another study is being published by heavyweight, respected academic researchers (the Krauss meta study, for example) that vindicate saturated fat as a cause of CVD and pin the blame squarely where it belongs: on carbohyrates.

The "advice" offered in this article is plain wrong, counterproductive,
    and if followed will do nothing to improve your health. In fact, it will make things much worse.

• Richard Nikoley on January 27, 2010 at 14:56

Wow and cool, reinman. BTW, no idea how your comment got caught up in the spam filter, but that’s why it didn’t post right away.

14. Grok on January 27, 2010 at 20:09

Does your girlfriend have a sister? ♥♥♥