Feelin’ Alright, Paleo Style

Now how damn long do you think I had to search to bring this to you cavemen & cavewomen? Hah! I’m proud of at this point. If you check out some of their other UTube selections, you’ll see they perform shirtless often. And even rock stars today are lean. (Can you be a fat Rock Star, or is that what’s coming next?). Here you go, new study: "Lean Rock Stars associated with regular consumption of drugs & alcohol."

Written by Dave Mason, made most popular by Joe Cocker…but Grand Funk Railroad did it best, in my view. I just love the blues-i-ness of it. You know, the roots of rock & roll are in the blues, just like the roots of country are to be found in folk. I’m not a big country fan, and hence, I’ll take Dylan any day.

Alright, with that Dylan reference, let me toss up another one, altogether different, the Traveling Wilburys, Handle With Care. Watch George Harrison and especially, Roy Orbison, steal the show. This one’s in a link, cause the embedable one was shit.

There, I got off cuss word. I contemplated a birthday dispensation f-bomb, but I’ve successfully resisted.

1. Todd on January 30, 2010 at 05:26

Richard, I’m loving these videos! You always get my Saturday morning started off on just the right mood. These two are my favorite yet. Love the Wilbury’s! Here’s some HQ live Roy Orbison (ACL – 1982):

2. Jim Purdy on January 29, 2010 at 17:49

Richard, congratulations on sticking with your new policies:

HFCS (He Frigging Ceased Swearing)

BPA (Beats Profanity Anyday)

The 50 Best Health Blogs

3. Karen DeCoster on January 29, 2010 at 18:56

One of the premier rock bands in the history of the world. (Yet still unknown to most.) Brewer and Farner are hometown daddies. My mother found this album and took it from me because of the nudity! She also despised the cover of my album, Aerosmith, “Get Your Wings,” because Steven Tyler had that prominent bulge showing………prude!

• Richard Nikoley on January 30, 2010 at 10:25

She’d a flipped over Sticky Fingers. eh?

Agreed about GFR. One of the best rock bands ever and so under appreciated.

4. Tin Tin on January 29, 2010 at 20:07

“Lean Rock Stars associated with regular consumption of drugs & alcohol.”

Hate to spoil the theory but, Elton John, Meatloaf, Elvis & Jack Black to name a few?

• John Campbell on January 29, 2010 at 20:32

Jack Black? or do you mean Frank Black? The latter is more of a rocker – and pretty good in my estimation. The former is chubby too, but more of an actor?

Keith Richards is a tribute to the resilience of the human body.

• Todd on January 30, 2010 at 05:09

John Popper and Mama Cass also come to mind….but certainly these are exceptions.

5. Tinmittens on January 30, 2010 at 00:40

Feelin’ Alright—a very good song. Dave Mason, Grand Funk Railroad, and Joe Cocker all good. Don’t forget Traffic and the Black Crowes’s versions also.

6. Organic Gabe on January 30, 2010 at 04:58

I like it. Good band, for sure.

7. Lupe, aka Ms. Sat Fat on January 30, 2010 at 07:11

I cleaned Terry Knight’s (GFR’s manager) teeth once, about 20 years ago, when I was a new dental tech. He had a serious cross-bite, but was a great patient. He kept *me* laughing the whole time, even though I was causing him some pain with my poking and prodding! I guess that’s neither here nor there, but it’s my one brush with fame, ha ha.

8. Ed on January 30, 2010 at 08:14

I once saw a VH1 bit on GFR, and they said the 1971 Shea Stadium concert was nearly halted because there was so much jumping and stomping in unison that NYC authorities feared that the sympathetic waves would collapse the stadium. Dude, THAT rocks!

9. Ned Kock on February 1, 2010 at 07:57

Richard, sorry for going off topic, but I believe you mentioned vitamin D supplementation in a previous post.

I did some digging, and it seems that our body’s design strongly favors sunlight exposure, due to the long half-life of vitamin D and a few other related biofeedback mechanisms. I added a post with more details here:

Maybe you could explore this issue in a future post. I think it is important for various reasons. For example, some of the paleo diet problems reported recently here might possibly be seasonal, related to vitamin D deficiency in the winter.