Getting Crazier and Crazier

Admin note:

Well, according to Sitemeter and Google Analytics, I broke 100,000 visits for the month of January and 200,000 page views, a huge all-time record buster. That was sometime in the wee hours of last night.

Onward & Upward, I suppose. I’m now working on my book in earnest and have committed myself to four hours of — hopefully uninterrupted — work per day.

Any suggestions for a title that captures the essence of the "Animal Model" I espouse?

1. Owen on January 25, 2010 at 11:04

Richard,
    I can’t imagine what captures the essence better than ‘Free the Animal’ itself.
    Sums it all up for me…
    Hope you sail through the writing process.
    Cheers.

• Grok on January 25, 2010 at 14:40

+ 1 from me. In the spirit of the lifestyle… Keep it simple 😉

2. Jimmy Moore on January 25, 2010 at 11:05

Animal Unleashed

3. caphuff on January 25, 2010 at 11:31

Eat Real Food (Mostly Animals)

• caphuff on January 26, 2010 at 09:43

adding: agree Free the Animal is best, of course. Anything else is just a subtitle.

great blog, btw.

4. Skyler Tanner on January 25, 2010 at 11:43

Eat More Mostly Real Free Animals

• Skyler Tanner on January 25, 2010 at 11:44

I have a london broil waiting in the Sous Vide rig at home…don’t mind me.

5. Anthony Z on January 25, 2010 at 11:48

“Express Your Primal Self”

“Express Your Primal Genes”

And going out on a limb here, “Free the Animal: Expressing your Primal Genes for Health, Vitality, and Attactiveness” 🙂

6. Ben Wheeler on January 25, 2010 at 11:51

I think keeping “Free the Animal” in the title some how would be good. It also catches the eyes of a different audience. One thinking that you mean NOT to eat animals. I definitely vote for keeping that incorporated some how.

7. Judith on January 25, 2010 at 11:55

Yes, what’s wrong with “Free the animal”? It’s a great title!

• Marnee on January 25, 2010 at 12:31

Yeah, it’s prefect.

8. Mallory on January 25, 2010 at 13:35

I think you should call it free the animal!!!!!!

9. Mark on January 25, 2010 at 13:58

“Free the Animal” is great but that will get changed by the publisher to

“The Free the Animal Diet: A modern guide to effortlessly lose weight and improve health by eating the diet you evolved to eat”

Unless you go the Colpo route and self-publish…

• gallier2 on January 25, 2010 at 14:09

Hey, he even managed to get published in Germany.

10. san fran J(formerly Minneapolis J on January 25, 2010 at 14:37

Free the Animal

11. Chris on January 25, 2010 at 15:00

The title is obvious; well done on the growth of the blog;

12. Michael on January 25, 2010 at 17:42

Do what Tim Ferriss did with his potential book titles and test them via google adwords. That is how he came up with the title “The 4-Hour Workweek.” What people say they would buy and what they actually buy are two different things. As with all things related to marketing: test! test! test!

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2010 at 18:22

I so agree with you, Michael. One must be humble when it comes to selling. Tim — whom I’ve met recently — had a great presentation at LeWeb. Highly recommended.

Oh, yes, I often churn and churn over what he’s done. I’m reading 4-hr for the second time in the expanded edition. Thing is, I’ve had the income stream for years. Now I’m learning how to use it and there are some BIG personal changes I’m in the process of making.

• Michael on January 25, 2010 at 22:19

Richard,

That sounds very exciting. I hope you blog about some of what is going on. If not here maybe in the comments section over at Tim’s site, or perhaps doing a personal case study via youtube.

There are some big changes in store for me this year as well because of Tim’s book.

• Scott Miller on January 27, 2010 at 09:07

Here’s the thing, when Ferriss tested his book titles, he didn’t already have a website. In Richard’s case, he has an establish site, and therefore I strongly recommend sticking with the name, Free the Animal (and then have a subtitle that better explains the diet). What you DON’T WANT is two brands that do not connect, as is the case with Mark Sisson, who titled his book The Primal Blueprint, yet his website has a different title/URL, Mark’s Daily Apple. This means he has two brands to promote and connect, which is a hassle. He’d be MUCH BETTER OFFER by just having a single brand. But, unfortunately, Mark’s Daily Apple is not a good name for a book. If I were him, I’d have re-branded his site to PrimalBlueprint.com before the book came out.

Always better to have one powerful brand, than two brands that in essence distract from each other.

• Richard Nikoley on January 27, 2010 at 09:44

That’s a good point, Scott. I was listening to Ferriss’ presentation at LeWeb yesterday and came to the same realization. What a huge advantage I have with an established & growing blog.

I’m going to have to think long and hard about how to use it to promote the book. Well, I suppose this is step one of that process, getting lots of input.

Thanks, all.

• Michael on January 27, 2010 at 21:23

Still, in my opinion, you need to test. Maybe its a good fit, maybe it isn’t. On the surface the name of your blog and subtitle would be excellent for the book, but who really knows.

Ferriss’ first book may not have had a growing website and blog but now he does have one of the top blogs in the world, and yet his second book is not being called “The 4-Hour Body” or something like that which I think was his initial inclination. The title (Becoming SuperHuman) has no tie-in with the 4-Hour brand and my guess is he came to that conclusion by testing his assumptions.

So no matter what we think sounds good or might work we should always test and see what people actually buy. Today it is very easy to do.

just my .02,

Michael

13. Troy on January 25, 2010 at 18:24

i think there are already enough books out there talking about the same thing… no offense… i don’t know what exact angle your going to come from… but its all the same.. eat real food.

troy

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2010 at 18:58

Troy:

That’s my job. If nothing else, you might find it better than anything else to steer newbies to.

That’s my approach. I want it to be fully accessible to newbies, and that’s section one. Section two will delve into the science and in particular, problems. See some of the latest blogs. But it’s not going to be a science book at all.

Then there’s the mind, and nobody has addressed that very well, or at all. How do and should wild animals think? That’s going to be the most fun and challenging part to write.

It will be unique.

• Paleo Pete on January 26, 2010 at 02:01

There are also an infinite number of bars and pubs, virtually identical. For whatever arbitrary number of reasons, when a new one opens, some people will start going there. There can be an infinite number of books on the same topic. There are also an infinite number of “eat real food” blogs, yet richard’s is doing well. Basically what I’m telling you is to eat a dick sandwich. People like richard’s blog for whatever reason, maybe they’ll like his book too. Hopefully he keeps the disturbing libertarian crap out of the book though.

14. Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2010 at 18:26

I’m pretty surprised at how many think FTA is a good title on its own (and it’s my pref too). While I thought and thought about that for weeks, I chose it without input.

What most of you don’t know is that I actually came up with “Feed the Animal.” But when I went to register the domain it was taken. I thought for a few seconds, and here we are, and I’m glad it worked out that way. Free is much wider integration than Feed.

• Aaron Blaisdell on January 26, 2010 at 09:42

Serendipity is the spice of life and a great source for creativity. Congrats on your continuing, mushrooming success.

• Organic Gabe on January 26, 2010 at 13:04

Yes, Free the Animal is a great title. Good luck with the book!!

15. Eric on January 25, 2010 at 22:10

Richard,

Before perusing the comments here, I thought to myself – “It’s got to be titled ‘Free The Animal'”- and I see several others agree. Think of it like a self-titled album! You can worry about titles for a follow-up book. You’ve already got this one covered!

Eric

16. Paleo Pete on January 26, 2010 at 02:03

Richard, when you asked what you should title the book, it was very very obvious to me immediately that it should be titled exactly the same as your blog, and I was confused why you were contemplating what another title could be. Don’t fix what ain’t broke, it’s very difficult to come up with 1 compelling name and you hit a home run already.

17. Travis on January 26, 2010 at 09:01

Keep it the same: “Free the Animal”. It’s direct, simple, and appealing.

18. Dave, RN on January 26, 2010 at 11:07

I’m not so sure about the “Free The Animal” title. If you’re looking for converts, it doesn’t speak to the subject. We know what it means, but just perusing the book aisles, you’ll think is some left wing, liberal , even vegetarian book about freeing animals, rather than freeing your own inner animal by EATING them! So maybe something closer, like “Free Your Inner Animal”. Of course then it sounds like one of those men-only gather in the woods and beat drums groups.
    So, maybe something that describes: 1. The problem (diet, and how we’ve all been mislead by Conventional Wisdom)) and 2. The solution (diet, and changing your food paradigm). Something along the lines of “The Great Diet Deception and How To Overcome It”. Lame, but you get the idea…

• anand srivastava on January 26, 2010 at 23:41

I guess that is where the graphic of the Grok (possibly killing something 😉 on the cover page would help.

19. Quick Update | Free The Animal on January 26, 2010 at 14:37

[…] in order to really get this book project off the ground, I'm using a cool application called Scrivener. Now while the book is not at all […]

20. pauline on January 27, 2010 at 04:23

I think your website is great but Free the Animal as a selling title for a book is too confusing I think. When people do websearches for diet, weight loss, nutrutio ]n they seldom search “feed” or “animal”. So you may get lost in the online search phenomena. Altho things do expand virtually by word of mouth. feeding the animal as a title can be misleadinge . Bringing out the animal in you, eating animals, these words could mislead, and its often in the first sentence or chapter or search that you lose your reader or buyer. A lot of us have come here via Art de vany’s site or while seeking paleo lifestylesonline. I know the gut reaction is Free The Animal cos those who are here love the site and keep coming back – maybe keep the name in the sub-title.

21. arlojeremy on January 28, 2010 at 13:51