Halibut – For The Helluvit – Sous Vide

So on the OEvolve list (note: As I’m a human-animal anarchist, I’m only a lurker there, per the membership guidelines) one person had posted an experience with halibut sous vide; Diana, list owner, tried and liked, and so I embarked this afternoon to collect suitable halibut. Click to see the big’n.

Halibut Steak Sous Vide
Halibut Steak Sous Vide

130 degees, for an hour. I had no big salt to do a brine in advance, so I sea salted heavy, for 30 minutes, rinsed, salted lightly, then sliced a lemon thin, with two slices on each steak, and sprinked with a bit of rosemary & thyme.

In the meantime, the veggie medly you see is lots of Kaerygold Irish butter (unsalted). On low. At the end, fire ‘er up, and add a three-finger dash of almond meal; stir fry it. There you go. Done.

For the sauce, it was a super large pat of the same butter, a 1/4 tsp of tarragon, and a big tsp of full fat FAGE yogurt. Bring to a boil, immediately turn off. Done. There was a bit of juice in one of the vaccum sealed bags that I added and refired for a second or two.

We’re gonna watch 24 in a few. I’m gonna do nut soup for that, with  a spot of pineapple this time. What is it? I’ll tell you one of these days.

1. Diana Hsieh on January 25, 2010 at 21:33

So…. how did you like the halibut?!?

• Richard Nikoley on January 26, 2010 at 07:45

Oh, did I forget? Well, it was really, really good and Beatrice loved it as well. Not sure if I like it as much as the salmon, but it was great and especially considering that I don’t often do halibut because it’s sometimes dry, big win.

I did turbo in the SVS a few nights ago and while super tender and moist, it had a bit of a fishy taste I wasn’t thrilled with.

The fish market where I got these steaks also has Chilean sea bass, so that’s probably next. I’ll have to try swordfish too — another that can come out dry.

2. Organic Gabe on January 26, 2010 at 13:01

Looks great, Richard.
    I like any kind of seafood. My wife an I eat fish 2-3 times weekly.

3. Guy on January 26, 2010 at 18:43

I still can’t get fish right in the SVS. I did a big salmon filet for 45 minutes at 140 degrees and it was just okay. Maybe I should go lower.

Oh, but I did shrimp according to the SVS and they were to DIE for!

I’m doing a lamb roast for 24 hrs now, so I’ll see how it goes. Did a venison loin roast for that long and it was amazing! Keep up the Sous Vide posts!

• Richard Nikoley on January 27, 2010 at 10:06

Yes, you want to do your research on the internet for cooking temps and times, not go by the book. They had to put the higher temps in that for liability reasons. 130 I think is too much.

I discussed some of the temp issues on this post:

Try your salmon at 120. Betcha like it.

• Guy on January 27, 2010 at 19:25

Thanks Richard. The 30 hr lamb roast at 134 was spectacular!

Really, fellas you can thrill and amaze the ladies with your culinary skills with a Sous Vide Supreme. If only I had one of these back in college…. “Hey baby, wanna try some chops that will blow your mind…”

• Richard Nikoley on January 27, 2010 at 19:27

Damn, Gut, now you’ve got me imagining what could have been.

No matter, though, I waited and ended up with a damn fine one.

Never marry before 40.