Happy Birthday to the Doggie

I’ve been playing around with a new camera, today. The Panasonic LumixDMC-GF1. I got tired of crappy photos, had been thinking about getting a digital SLR, but settled on one of the new bread of Micro Four Thirds cameras. Interchangeable lenses, but with an SLR sized sensor and a small size owing to no mirror. With the "pancake" lens I opted for to start with, the low light cababilities are very impressive. Here’s Rotor, 11 years old today. Click for the larger quality version.

Rotor
Rotor

Yep, 11 years old, and nobody can believe it. He weighs 80% of what he did several years ago, is way more agressive, jumps around like crazy, and just refuses to act his age. Folks: get your dogs of grains, sugars, and non-foods. While I don’t do perfect (we feed Evo, plus he gets lots of chicken & beef stock & liver), it’s damn good. Here’s another.

Rotor Again
Rotor Again

The camera also does impressive depth of field shots, automatically.

Auto Depth of Field Demo
Auto Depth of Field Demo

Well, I’m looking forward to creating some good photographs for the blog. Still a lot to learn but this camera makes it fun and easy.

1. Jeanie Campbell on January 11, 2010 at 18:59

Our dogs and cats were paleo before we were – Nature’s Variety. It’s a raw meat diet with no grains, but has ingredients that mimic what an animal would have in it’s intestines, etc., if it were caught and killed in the wild. Exceptional food. The dogs also get RAW chicken wings. Their teeth are so white, the vet is in shock! Raw bones will not splinter, only cooked ones.

2. Nancy on January 11, 2010 at 18:59

Happy Birthday dear Rotor, you’re such a special guy, I love you.

3. Suzan on January 11, 2010 at 19:04

Happy Birthday to Rotor! You are so right about a dog’s diet. I home cook for my dog (grain-free, grassfed beef and veggies) and she is happy and healthy.

Nice camera shots. Have fun taking pix.

4. Nancy on January 11, 2010 at 19:05

We feed raw party wings, gizzards, liver, heart, marrow bones, hamburger, turkey tails, pig feet, chicken necks, chicken feet, tripe and anything else I can find. The Mexican market in Gilroy has a fantastic mix of beef bones that has some meat attached, the dogs will do circus tricks for those. I want to feed some fish for balance but am not sure how I want to go about that. So for now I buy can fish from the $$$ store, Jack Mackerel is especially good. I am planning to join the SF co-op for feeding raw, it’s human grade food very cheap so we can use it for ourselves as well. I’m not sure if I’m ready to go completely raw but am having fun experimenting, and my dogs are VERY happy about it.

5. redcatbicycliste on January 11, 2010 at 22:04

Do you have any photos of your dog from several years ago when he was heavier, not paleo? If you do, can you post them; I’m interested in seeing the change. Thanks.

• Richard Nikoley on January 12, 2010 at 08:19

There’s a good one I’m thinking of but I’ll have to locate it. If I can find it, I’ll post.

6. Debbie on January 12, 2010 at 10:19

Rotor looks great! My two dogs get Evo Innova grain-free dry kibble topped with a little bit of plain canned pumpkin, and some lightly cooked meat I buy from a farmer (beef ground up with bones, blood and organs). Willow is almost 14 and still seems fine and peppy, and has dropped her weight from 50 pounds (FAT – on the high carb, low fat diet my vet wanted her on) down to 35 (the weight she was as a young and fit dog). Sadly Bran does not see to have responded as well, and in fact is suffering from an aggressive nasal cancer that may kill him even though he is only 6.

7. Jennifer on January 14, 2010 at 01:29

Hi Richard,
    In that close up photo it looks like your gorgeous dog has cataracts forming, as happens with dogs at that age. My dog has this and the holistic vet added a few supplements to help slow the progression. 250mg Vit C, 1/4 human dose of B complex and 1 gram Fish oil, all daily (this dose is for a 13 pound maltese terror :-). I read in other posts that you add a few supplements to your dogs diet, so thought I’d mention this in case it is of interest to you. What a beautiful dog you have!
    Jennifer.

• Richard Nikoley on January 14, 2010 at 11:52

Yea,, I think it’s just a light trick, cause I asked the vet about this and he said nope. Plus, Rotor has excellent sight. He sees dogs coming way far away and seems to even be better than before.

While I don’t give them a gram a day, I give them some fish oil, cod liver oil, d3 and k2 a couple of times per week.

8. Callie on June 15, 2010 at 01:42

Hi Richard,
    What doses of those supplements do you give your beautiful dogs? I am trying to make my dogs diet more nourishing traditions style, but haven’t found anything online for this.
    Kind regards,
    Callie.

• Richard Nikoley on June 17, 2010 at 17:11

I add about 2k vitamin D to food both of them consume over 3-4 days, but only every 2nd to 3rd can. Also I add in a 1 gram gel cap of Carlson’s cod liver oil as well, and about 5mg of Thorne K-2, MK-4.

9. Callie on June 18, 2010 at 02:53

Thanks so much Richard. You are a gem.