Quick Update

So in order to really get this book project off the ground, I’m using a cool application called Scrivener. Now while the book is not at all going to be just the blogs I’ve written, a lot of them are useful — posts and comments — and so I’m pulling them into the app one by one. Plus, that will for the first time provide me with an all-in-one document with every post in chronological order.

Tedious.

It turns out that in the first year of blogging about my fitness path, I posted 75 entries, and this was combined with at least 200+ of unrelated posts. So, I’m up through May, 2008. Only a year and nine months to go. But it’s going to get far more tedious, especially beginning in September of 2008 where I went full time at this.

Anyway, very busy, but thought I’d just check in.

1. Organic Gabe on January 26, 2010 at 16:03

Yes, slow and tedious, but you are doing the right thing to get the message out about a very important health matter! You have my full support, if only in spirit… Best wishes for a successful outcome!

2. Heather Lackey on January 26, 2010 at 16:47

I <3 Scrivener. I ditched my PC and got a Mac just so I could have Scrivener.

3. Guy on January 26, 2010 at 18:49

I’ll have to check Scrivener out. I’m needing something like this. Although the Melville reference is discouraging.

4. Marc Abel on January 26, 2010 at 19:33

Richard,

One thing I would be interested to read about either in your book or here on your blog is how your family reacted to your change in diet. Much of my family remains skeptical and some of my early attempts to get my wife interested in this dietary lifestyle missed the mark a bit.

I am hopeful that with more time they will see the benefits in me and come around.

-Marc

5. JB on January 27, 2010 at 04:33

Hi Richard,

Good luck with the book. Looking forward to seeing what you come out with.
    As for the blog post to Scrivener work, I know that Scrivener can do imports, and that it’s relatively easy to create a script to dump all of the posts from WordPress as text files. If the cut and paste gets to tedious, you may want to give it a try.

jb

• Richard Nikoley on January 27, 2010 at 09:36

Yea, the problem with imports is that it does it by URL and so it’s html and it brings the whole damn page in, images, sidebar & all. Then I’m stuck with copy/paste of the text any way to get it into the draft folder, which is text file. In the end, I have to copy/paste text, so I’m just doing it right up front.

I’ve got a good system going though, and should complete that initial tedium today or tomorrow.