Three Must-Hear Podcasts: Real Farming, Cancer, & Statins

Friday a bit before noon, I headed out solo on a road trip from San Jose, CA, over Donner Summit to my hometown of Reno, NV for an evening with an uncle and one of my cousins. Then I returned Saturday in time to make a party in the Marina district of San Francisco. Lots of driving; and pretty much my favorite thing to do while on the road is to catch up on Jimmy Moore’s podcasts. I’d say I listen to a good 6-7 of 10 in their entirely, which I consider to be a huge percentage.

But for those of you who don’t make Jimmy’s podcasts one of your regular sources of information, may I suggest three that you really should take in?

First up, Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms. This one is not only informative but quite entertaining as Joel is quite a character. Kind of a philosopher farmer combo. If you enjoyed him in Food, Inc., this is some of the same and even more. Especially, he goes into some detail with his continual battles with the "authorities" who would just prefer that you buy all your food from the industrial giants who keep those same "authorities" in power. In the end, it’s difficult to come to any conclusion other than this is a battle between sensible, sustainable, ecologically logical production and power and profit at any cost.

I’ve been on the trail of sugar’s role in cancer cell growth, as well as the ability of fasting to both kill cancer cells and make healthy cells highly resistant to chemotherapy for quite a while. Here’s the relevant links. So, now, go listen to the captivating interview of Dr. Thomas Seyfried, who covers both topics.

If you are on statins, have been recommended statins, or have loved ones on them, then listen to Dr. Duane Graveline describe his horrific experience and what he has since uncovered in eight years of research that’s seeming being hidden from public view, perhaps even by the FDA.

1. Organic Gabe on January 24, 2010 at 16:49

My friend was prescribed statins but after about twoo weeks he had to stop taking them. He was very weak and his muscles ached.

Good thing there is more research coming out against this big pharma darling …

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2010 at 17:39

The muscle aches are covered extensively in the interview. Worst part: the damage can be permanent as the root cause if it goes on long enough is mitochondrial damage.

2. John FitzGibbon on January 25, 2010 at 08:17

So their is actually a clinical trial thats starting up, I believe it’s at a hospital in new york. Which is looking at low carb diets as a means of battling cancer.
    My PhD research is actually on use of sugars to target chemotherapeutics to tumors.

3. Matt R. on January 25, 2010 at 08:40

My wife and I are fortunate enough to buy food from Joel Salatin’s farm every few weeks or so. He’s done a lot for grass-fed farming.

4. Nicole on January 26, 2010 at 15:49

Have you listened to either of the interviews with Dr. Nora Gedgaudas? They are quite good.

Also, you might find the two with Dr. Stephen Gundry worth listening to. I think he’s wrong about some things and right about others, but his book was worth reading. (Dr. Gundry’s Diet Evolution) He seems to believe in the efficacy of a lower meat diet that’s very high in green veggies which he says have plenty of protein.

• Richard Nikoley on January 26, 2010 at 16:30

I’ve listened to the first of both. I’m assuming they’re both in the encore week, which I’ve not gotten to yet, but certainly will. Yes, both of their first interviews were stellar.

I know I blogged about Gundry’s first interview. Not sure about Nora’s (though I’ve blogged about here book, which I’ve read and I think it’s awesome).

5. jon w on February 21, 2010 at 18:07

finally got around to seyfried. he says a ketogenic diet is terrible for your health, and if you eat a plate of lard it will do terrible things to your metabolism (apparently because he thinks lard is pure saturated fat…) wish jimmy called him on that one