Der Spiegel International

I’m going to leave up the original Google "translated" version because 1) it’s pretty funny and, 2) there are funny comments to go with it. Instead, I’ve put a note over there linking to the international version.

Modern Day Flintstones

A Stone Age Subculture Takes Shape in the US

By Philip Bethge

A modern-day Stone Age subculture is developing in the United States, where wannabe cavemen mimic their distant ancestors. They eat lots of meat, bathe in icy water and run around barefoot. Some researchers say people led healthier lives in pre-historic times.

Go have a look.

1. John S on February 11, 2010 at 09:12

Ah, now that we can see a proper idiomatically translated version, the condescension is much clearer.

2. MaLo on February 11, 2010 at 09:39

I just can’t believe how much press John Durant is getting from this NYTimes article! While I was happy to see him on the Colbert Report (he did look smart and said a good amount of paleo keypoints) I can’t help myself but think that it is widely undeserved for 1 major reason: aside from being a slightly more attractive version of the Geico caveman, he hasn’t done ANYTHING! He has no real website, he didn’t do any research, he didn’t put up a plan… Same with De Vany (Paid subscription!) and Erwan LeCorre (Fitness business!): I couldn’t care less about these guys!

Can we talk about you or Stephan from the Whole Health Source blogspot or Hyperlipid who are providing people with real, interesting, insightful and free information, please?

• John S on February 11, 2010 at 09:55

Almost nothing becomes popular in the media unless it’s presented by telegenic people. Paleo/Primal would catch on much quicker if we simply hired a cavalcade of hot young shills to charge their way through the media.

• Paul C on February 11, 2010 at 11:37

With no money to be made by anyone, the media would quickly realize stories about eating real food, stopping use of soap and shampoo, and exercising without use of contraptions would kill their advertising income. Maybe the message will go mainstream when journalism is subsidized.

3. Matthew Odette on February 11, 2010 at 18:00

On a smaller note, Vlad Averbukh (also featured in the NYTimes article) had his picture and a Paleo blurb posted on the San Francisco Chrinicle’s ‘Day In Pictures’ :

Every little bit helps.