More Publicity for the Paleo and Evolutionary Fitness Way

It’s Art and his wife this time, local news.

You can read the story here, and then get a good belly laugh at dozens and dozens of illiterate and incoherent moronic commenters. It’s been a while since I’ve seen this much stupid in one place.

Later: I almost forgot. Art and Loren Cordain are featured in EXCELENT article on paleo in Cycling Weekly. Art has provided open public access to the PDF.

1. isaac on February 9, 2010 at 11:57

I really liked this comment:

“IF ITS SUCH A GOOD DIET, HOW COME ALL THE CAVEMEN DIED????????????? “

• Richard Nikoley on February 9, 2010 at 11:58

I mean, the enormity of the utter stupidity on display there is just beyond belief.

• Organic Gabe on February 9, 2010 at 15:40

You are 100% right Richard. It is mind boggling. Very, very sad.

• arlojeremy on February 9, 2010 at 16:17

I can’t believe the religious fundies hijacked the thread. Whether it’s dietary ignorance or scientific ignorance, they “succeed” on both counts.

• ken on February 9, 2010 at 19:13

there are some seriously ignorant fuckers in Utah.

• applesauce on February 9, 2010 at 19:40

No wonder it was Odumbo Vs. Insane McCain in ’08.

• Scott Miller on February 9, 2010 at 19:50

Yes, most of the replies just confirmed my take on the American educational system. It’s crap. No child left behind is NOT working! 😉 And once that fix that train wreck, we clearly need an expanded program: “No adult left behind.”

• MarkD on February 10, 2010 at 16:22

I’m English and so have only an outsiders opinion on the American educational system and the religious views of Americans. However, I am utterly dumbfounded by the views expressed on Richard’s link. Are these people serious? Do many Americans really believe that the world was created by GOD only a few thousand years ago?

• Richard Nikoley on February 10, 2010 at 16:31

MarkD

Millions. Tens of Millions.

Yea…

• MarkD on February 10, 2010 at 16:34

Then may the “Great Sky Fairy” protect us from American Christians.

• Travis on February 10, 2010 at 10:49

Yeah, I had to stop reading the comments. Why did I even start! :-))

2. Patrik on February 9, 2010 at 12:41

I have to say, that Art de Vany does himself no favors by running shirtless in the desert.

Not to say he doesn’t look great, especially at 72, but this simply feeds right into the media making a caricature out of him to sell airtime. Same with the feats of strength such as pulling the Land Rover.

• Richard Nikoley on February 9, 2010 at 12:46

Yea, I think having a shirt on for the run would have been a better choice, and there should have been more focus at the gym, demonstrating the sort of weight he can move.

• Kurt G Harris MD on February 10, 2010 at 19:26

@Patrik

I am with you here. A bit of paleofantasy can help motivate and inspire, but maybe we should work on controlling the message more. Some of this recent attention (eating raw meat in NYC and climbing around like a monkey, etc) makes us look like we are aspiring to ridicule.

Now, some will say I am jealous, as no one has yet offered to interview me about my caveman lifestyle or film me pulling my Porsche 911 with a rope. But I actually have experience with local media in my area and it has never been worth it. My office staff is instructed to rebuff media requests, as I do not trust any but the most carefully selected outlets to communicate my business’ message through.

3. Kari on February 9, 2010 at 12:42

My goodness – I can scarce believe they can waste so much time with comments\arguments that the earth is only 6000 years old….

I do agree – enormity of stupidity (nice wording btw) is breathtaking and giving me a headache.

Let the people live miserable and die sick if they want.

I’d rather live Paleo and be happy, healthy and longlived. (I know.. It’s so odd! – but yeah 😛 )

• Skyler Tanner on February 9, 2010 at 14:10

Well they are in Utah.

4. Patrik on February 9, 2010 at 12:46

I went and read the comments….in doing so, I suffered some serious brain damage reading the rants of barely literate. Painful.

5. Chris W on February 9, 2010 at 12:49

I found the reporter to be almost as stupid as the subhumans populating the commentary section.

What could have been an interesting and educational segment featuring an original, intelligent and accomplished man was turned into a piece of yellow journalism. The tone was condescending with a “come see how crazy he is”-undertone.

6. Jimmy Moore on February 9, 2010 at 12:50

Did anyone else see the Mickey D’s ad at the beginning of the video segment? 😀 Irony!

7. Stephen on February 9, 2010 at 12:56

I actually enjoyed the comments. Stupid people entertain me.

8. Patrik on February 9, 2010 at 12:59

The TV segment and the comments on the article remind that sometimes the (lone) smartest person in a room full of fucking idiots is considered to be the real idiot.

I wrote a report for work once, at the next meeting I was mocked by my boss and my colleagues for using a couple of words that they had hitherto not known. They accused me of intentionally turning to the thesaurus as to seed my report with “big words” in order to impress my colleagues and the client.

Fact is, these “big words” were anything but. Any literate person who enjoys reading would know them and make use of them when appropriately. But for that day, as they were projecting their own mental limitations upon me, I, ironically, was the Big Dummy and subject to ridicule by the whole company.

Same thing with the idiots in the comments and Art de Vany. Art is so far out in front on these morons, that he is isolated and therefore HE IS THE MORON from their POV.

Ironic and painful. C’est la vie.

• Chris W on February 9, 2010 at 13:11

…and then they had the “expert”-“established science”-guy come in at the end of the segment to smirkingly validate the mob’s conclusions without actually pronouncing a single sentence of substance.

A victory for mediocrity.

I hope Art didn’t set himself up for this by insisting on pulling cars.

• Dave, RN on February 9, 2010 at 14:07

I feel your pain. I used to get made fun of all the time in jr high and high school for using “big” words. Especially once I moved to Texas. Not that there’s any connection. Probably a coincidence.

• arlojeremy on February 9, 2010 at 16:21

EXACTLY. I worked a stint with a moving company and cut myself on a serrated box edge. The mocked me, asking why I didn’t just say sharp. Because serrated was the best word, and I know it, so why aren’t I going to used it? Ugh.

Another example is simply having a good memory. I’ll remember something that I don’t even really have a particular interest in, but if I use that knowledge in a coversation, I’m label as being a stereotypical person who likes that particular thing. Furstrating!

• Kurt G Harris on February 10, 2010 at 15:05

It’s an idiocracy out there, Patrik. Pearls before swine.

Semper Fi

9. djinn on February 9, 2010 at 13:44

I’ts funny, I’m the same age as Art, similar fitness level, eat an equally paleo diet and my girl friend says I’m better looking. How come the media hasn’t said stupid things about me?
    Richard – I like your style of take-no-prisoners insightful commentary. Thanks for your good work.

10. Heidi on February 9, 2010 at 13:57

My head almost exploded at the amount of stupidity on that one webpage. You were not exaggerating.

Art and his wife look fantastic!

11. Dave, RN on February 9, 2010 at 14:12

It’s a shame that people like Art are looked at as a media curiosity or just plain crazy.
    I just spoke to a co-worker who asked about the paleo thing and she reported to me that she read the websites, but decided that it was just too hard (“I can’t do that”).
    And so it goes. like my mom sues to say “I can’t never did anything”.

12. Richard Nikoley on February 9, 2010 at 14:22

I just added an update to the post. Art & Cordain are featured in a Cycling Weekly article on Paleo:

Very good article.

13. m on February 9, 2010 at 15:09

the comments are hysterical. I can’t believe the whole first is taken up with a discussion of creationism. I also love the comment that cavemen ate dinosaur meat.

• Guy on February 9, 2010 at 15:22

No kidding, man!

But, I would love to find a source for some good pastured dino!

14. Mike on February 9, 2010 at 15:14

Wow@ those comments. Just…wow.

Art rocks. If I’m towing my shiny Landrover around the warm climate of St. George when I’m 70, I’ll know I’ve done something right. Until then, I’ll continue to tow a 15 year old F-250 around the cold climate of Alberta. 🙂

15. John S on February 9, 2010 at 15:39

If I felt like it was worth it to respond to any of those imbeciles I would create an account there and go for it…but stupid is usually an incurable disease. Between the bible tards and the “cavemen died at 30” tards, it’s pretty much just an infinite facepalm for me.

16. arlojeremy on February 9, 2010 at 16:35

I feel really awful when I read such ignorant threads. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry!

“If you really want to eat like the cavemen you will need to find a source of some tasty brontosaurus meat. Good luck with that.”

Or…

It’s missing a vital piece: grains. Our teeth and digestive tract are designed for rough grains…

Or……

He needs to put a shirt on! I don’t care how could shape he is in its gross! I’ll bet he still hasn’t found an answer for his impotence!

But I digress… sigh.

17. Jeff Montgomery on February 9, 2010 at 19:12

I tried this out about a month ago when I read your progress report (H.T. Diana Hsieh at NoodleFood), and it works great.

My reasons for trying it: dry skin in the winter, to the point of waking up at night, and the fact that the idea makes sense: why wash off all of the oil your body is producing to protect itself? Why put stuff on your skin and hair that has scary warnings on it? Being an Objectivist, I’m hardly a technophobe, however I decided to try letting my body handle what it was *made to do* for a change. I do this in other areas of my life, why not soap and shampoo?

Results: a month later my hair is soft but not oily (once it’s dry), the dry skin is almost totally gone, facial skin is great — smooth and not oily at all. I changed to Burt’s Bees deodorant (the yellowish tea tree one) and I like the scent. I do notice a scent from my hair late in the day or after exercise, but it is mild and used to happen before.

I also have to say, I really like the sensation of just washing my hair with hot water and hands or a washcloth. I do miss the scent of some soaps, and the slippery feel of soap which makes it easier to pass the washcloth over the skin. However, I think I can find a workaround for that, and/or some essential oils for a mild scent when desired.

I’ll keep going with it. Thanks for the great idea,

Jeff Montgomery

P.S. – One time while trail running in the mountains I ran with a spear in my hand after I heard howling that sounded like wolves all up and down the valley. I imagine if I do that now, I’ll *really* feel like a cave man 😉

18. Corey on February 10, 2010 at 06:40

Try living here!!

I didn’t read the comments, but from your replies I know all I need to know.

When I tell locals about “how I lost the weight” (after they ask) it just so happens that their favorite excuse not to do it is some religious doctirne that “admonishes them to eat meat sparingly”. Not sure why that would preclude a person from eating paleo, but maybe that’s why most of them are obese.

One friend that I was helping along suddenly had a “come to Jesus” after losing about 35 lbs. She came to my house to tell me that she couldn’t violate “the Lord’s principles” anymore…HAH! She ballooned up and is heavier now than when she started…guess her Lord knows what he’s doing…especially if he wants to harvest some fat believers!!

(NO I am not too popular in some circles around here, but I like it that way.) Wackos.

19. John Sifferman on February 10, 2010 at 08:32

I think that was quite a good news clip – good general overview, a mostly unbiased perspective, and having outside parties confirm that there’s something to this Primal thing. That’s a rarity when it comes to health topics in the news.