Odds & Ends, Links & Have It Your Way

We’re headed off to SoCal shortly to pick up some family, drop off the dogs with other family, and then head on over to Las Vegas for a few days. Reno is my hometown so I’m not really much into the gambling scene, although I finally played some poker on a cruise ship last June, enjoyed it, so might give that a shot. Otherwise, it’ll be a time to eat, enjoy the lights, maybe take in some movies, and I’ll be seeing Carlos Santana live. Beatrice got me tickets for my birthday.

Here’s some around the Interwebs stuff.

~ Dr. Eades delivers on a long awaited post dissecting Anthony Colpo’s rabid insistence that the quantity of calories is the only thing that counts and not the quality. I’ve promised my own post about Colpo on a related but different matter. I hope to get to it soon.

~ Jamie Oliver at TED: “Teach every child about food.” I only got a chance to see part of it yesterday but it has been highly enough recommended out & about that I’m not going to delay sharing it.

~ I’ve posted a lot on Vitamin K2 (MK-4) going back. I’ve also linked to Chris Masterjohn’s must-read Activator X article a bunch of times. Now he has out another article on Price’s Activator X / K2 (MK-4): Cure for Cancer: Activator X May Be the Missing Link. This is why my core supplementation is a bit of omega-3 in a combo of fish, cod liver, and krill oil (about 2.5g total per day), vitamin k2, vitamin d, and now iodine.

~ Regular readers and commenters Aaron Blaisdell and Brent Pottenger, along with Seth Roberts (who has also commented here and linked from his blog) are up to something pretty big: In Summer 2011, The Ancestral Health Movement Will Converge on UCLA for a (Pre) Historic Event… Go take a look at the tentative list of panelists, of which I’m proud to have been included.

Finally, find at least one restaurant where you can have things your way, all the way. One thing that weighs on my mind is that I eat out fairly often, especially for late breakfast or lunch. I typically ask for my eggs to be done in butter, and I pass on potatoes almost always because of the frankenoils they use. However, Gunther is always willing to do it my way. My eggs get cooked in real butter and the German style potatoes (boiled, sliced and then fried with onion) get done in bacon drippings. Just this morning

Burger Eggs
Ground Sirloin & Eggs

Probably light blogging next week, but we’ll see. Depends on what strikes my fancy.

1. Nigel on February 13, 2010 at 15:01

You wrote:
    That’s not quite right. AC is insisting that body weight is determined by (kcals in)-(kcals out). Wellbeing, body comp, bloodwork etc are still affected by the source of the kcals.
    I’m reading GCBC but it hasn’t changed my mind about the carbohydrate hypothesis. I think that Taubes et al should read my metabolic pathways book.

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2010 at 15:25

I have that book (based on your recommendation, I think). Haven’t dug in yet, though.

BTW, what do you make of Dr. Eade’s response at the 3/21 1:28pm comment here:

• Nigel on February 13, 2010 at 18:35

Interesting!
        1) “In order to lose weight, one must create a caloric deficit.” i.e. calories count.
        2) “Eating a very-low-carbohydrate diet ensures that insulin levels stay low. Unless insulin levels are up, it’s almost impossible to store fat in the fat cells. With high insulin levels fat travels into the fat cell; with low insulin levels fat travels out. So, it’s pretty safe to say that the fat isn’t stored.” i.e. calories don’t count.

Have you read my replies in the AC anti-metabolic advantage dismemberment thread starting at Nigel, February 9, 2010 at 10:25 am?

• gallier2 on February 14, 2010 at 03:22

What’s so complicvated to understand that both 1) and 2) are not contradictory. You’re right to say that “calories do count”, but it’s only a consequence not a cause. The whole calories do/don’t count is only a dispute about causality. You and AC (and conventional “wisdom”) posit that the calories drive weight loss/gain (and only that) and Taubes/Eades/Richard posit that food composition drives calorie ingestion which then will drive weight loss/gain. This whole conundrum is only a dispute about priorities and making the calories in/out message the most important point is counterproductive for several reasons: the calorie count of food is extremely unreliant (food composition varies, the calorie values of nutrient are approximation (did you know that fats have between 7 and 9.6 kcal per g depending on their length/saturation?), the endogenous contribution to the calorie count is unknown etc.. Making it the main point is like judging the quality of a furniture by the amount of heat it generates when burning. So first concentrate on the “real needs” of the body and as an afterthought the quantity eaten.

• Nigel on February 14, 2010 at 05:18

Hi again gallier2.

I fully agree with you that what we eat has an affect on our appetites and it’s our appetites that dictate how many kcals we eat (unless we’re locked up). Counting calories is usually a futile exercise. Exercise can also be a futile, er, exercise (if we over-eat more kcals than we exercise-off due to the exercise).

The dispute is over whether body fat can materialise from nothing (when in caloric deficit) or dematerialise to nothing (when in caloric excess). Taubes et al say that it can. I et al say that it can’t.

Hormones can certainly re-distribute body fat such that a person can be skinny above the waist and fat below the waist or vice-versa. However, net body fat storage is controlled by more than insulin alone. If you eat a load of dietary fat, the body can store it as body fat without raising serum insulin. Lucky people get a lot of thermogenesis from dietary fat so they can eat loads without gaining weight. Unlucky people (usually women, for some reason) don’t & can’t.

I did know that SCFAs have only ~7kcals/g.

Cheers, Nige.

• Nigel on February 14, 2010 at 08:17

gallier2.

The amusing thing is that we all agree that low-carb diets are great for certain people. It’s the biochemistry where we disagree. People have reported getting fatter on low-carb diets if the kcals were too high (anecdotal evidence, I know) so a hypothesis that states that this is impossible cannot be correct. I’m reading GCBC but it’s hard going. I’ve read Toban Wiebe’s Notes.

I suffered from compensatory hyperinsulinaemia for the best part of 42 years on a high-GL carb diet, so I know what eating too much refined starchy carbs can do.

Nige.

• gallier2 on February 14, 2010 at 07:07

I didn’t think the message of Taubes was what you think it is. I’ve read GCBC, I’ve red all the Eades Blog+comments (not his books), I’ve read a lot more but I don’t think it was the message. It was quite obvious to me that compensatory mechanism are put in place by the body when the “real” calorie needs of the body aren’t met, a conservation program if you will, the immune is slowed down, the body gets sluggish, the brain gets slower, muscles atrophy (so less need) which put the body in an anormal “slow” state, but as it is a chronic state we tend to get used to it and take it as the normal state.
        This is the reason why I think that this calorie in/calorie out and hormone antagonism (AC/Nige vs Eades/Taubes) is completly unecessary because it comes from a mutual misunderstanding of the points they make. IMHO it’s only a matter of emphasis.

• Nigel on February 14, 2010 at 01:52

There’s an 8 hour difference between where you & I live. My last reply was typed at 02:35 which is why I kept it short.
        You may find the following interesting, if you haven’t already seen it. It’s BioVisions by Harvard University.

• Future Primitive on February 14, 2010 at 15:52

That metabolic pathways book looks pretty cool, Nigel!
      Can’t wait to get it.

• Nigel on February 15, 2010 at 09:48

The 2nd edition I currently have was published in 1999. A lot has happened since then, so I’ve just ordered the 3rd edition. Sod’s law states that a 4th edition will now appear!

2. golooraam on February 13, 2010 at 13:34

where is this restaurant that will do this for you?

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2010 at 13:37

Sorry, forgot to add the link, which I’ve done. It’s in San Jose, CA.

3. MarkD on February 13, 2010 at 14:01

Jamie Oliver is a famous TV chef here in England. A few years ago he used his celebrity to highlight the governments stupid policy of outsourcing school lunch production to the lowest bidder. As part of the same scheme he attempted to teach the British public how to cook proper food.

It’s no surprise that Jamie failed in his attempt to teach “us” to respect and cook real food, but he is my hero just for trying.

Cheers – Mark

4. Chris Sturdy on February 13, 2010 at 19:06

Nice looking breakfast! I made a dinner for the family similar to this the other night consisting of a mess of bacon (done in the old cast iron pan) and a half dozen eggs cooked in the bacon grease. Yum!

5. Aaron Blaisdell on February 13, 2010 at 19:32

Yes, we have, and he is a bit ambivalent at the moment but we may change his mind before summer 2011.

And for the record, it’s Brent, not Brett, Pottenger (grand nephew of the great dr. Pottenger and his cats).

Ciao,
    Aaron

• Aaron Blaisdell on February 14, 2010 at 08:34

Excellent suggestions! We will add it to our long-term agenda. The Ancestral Health Symposium will only be the first of hopefully many steps along this health care and management journey. Tinkering as we go! Perhaps we should put a section on the Ancestral Health website for people to contribute comments, questions, and suggestions.

6. mezzovoice on February 14, 2010 at 01:41

I never expected the Germans to be praised for the cooking but am all the more pleased!

• gallier2 on February 14, 2010 at 06:49

German cooking is incredibly diverse and rich, you only need to remember the past. The problem is that the influence of french and italian food (coming from big tourism) has been so big that even Germans have forgotten about it. My wife, coming from Gabon in Africa prefers largely German cuisine to French (we live in east France and have extended contact to Germany and Luxembourg). She doesn’t especially appreciate the finicky, very small portion, of the typical french cooking. The simpler, more integrated, long cooking geran dishes is more of here liking.

7. Philip on February 14, 2010 at 02:21

Here in Romania potatoes cooked like that are called country style potatoes, you cook the boiled sliced potatoes with onion and bacon and perhaps some paprika. I like your post on lard, we rendered up some pig fat from the Christmas pig but next time would do it with water.

8. William on February 14, 2010 at 21:25

If Richard’s post about Whole… er, Half Foods didn’t piss off enough of our community of paleos, look what Mass… er Taxachusetts genius “progressives” have come up with. http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/12/cambridge-plans-taxes-veganism-climate-change/

9. William on February 14, 2010 at 21:30
  10. mezzovoice on February 15, 2010 at 00:36

I know something about German cooking, being German myself. It’s just that outside of Germany a lot of people seem to think that we live on wurstel (which should be Würstchen) and sauerkraut…and that you can only ingest this kind of fare while wearing lederhosen and a Bavarian hat. Oh and braided hair and dirndls for the females among us.
    I have seen the bit about vegetarinism and environmental damage. It more than time somebody knocked some sense into the soypushers. More power to the telegraph’s elbow.

11. Aaron Griffin on February 15, 2010 at 11:08

Richard,
    How much Vitamin K2 do you take per day? What’s a recommended dose? I can’t find any of this bottle. The stuff I bought is a different MK (MK-7 I think) and is 90 mcg (assuming micrograms) per pill, but it lists that as 112% of the RDA (noting also that the “recommended value not established”).

Mind helping us out with dosages?

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2010 at 13:00

I use 5mg MK-4 caps from Carlson:

Life Extension also has one that’s a combo of some k1 and k2, 1mg MK-4 and 100mcg MK-7

• Aaron Griffin on February 16, 2010 at 13:09

Doing some poking around it looks like 100-90 mcg of MK-7 is the norm. The difference betweeen MK-4 and MK-7 is still unclear to me, but apparently[1] some of the experts agree that the form isn’t important, really.

Some posts there recommend up to 45mg of MK-4 though. Yeesh

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2010 at 13:26

Bid difference is that 7 has a way longer half life than 4.

• phil on March 28, 2010 at 11:06

Richard,
        I was watching the new Jamie Oliver show about Huntington, WV. I was wondering if you got a chance to see it. I believe it would be a good rant for you.One of several things are worth writing about ,but the Insistence that he include a bread even though he already had rice as a food for the meal is bureaucracy at its worst, because they do not recognize that bread and rice are high glycemic carbs. Pizza for breakfast was also an eye opener.
        Thanks