Panties in a Bunch “Paloes”

I gave it a shot. Toning it down. It’s just not gonna work for me, folks. I’m going to have to be myself. That doesn’t mean a "Fuck You" in every post, but just the self-imposed exile has taken a toll.

Judging by these collectivist panties-in-a-bunch "paleo" fans, I’m completely attracting the wrong kinds of readers, now. I’ll be happy to go back to hundreds instead of thousands & tens of thousands just to be rid of morons who want me to be some sort of Frankensteinesque version of a Fucking-Paleo-Obama, or some form of incomprehensible shit. I quote from comments.

Pussy #1, using a "man’s" name ("John"):

Your plea sounds more like the call of a cult leader. Or a sissy bitch who needs backup.

He’s evidently overwrought over the fact that I was on vacation and rather than spend the hours per day I normally do (over years and hundreds of posts), I called in a favor from readers. Oh, fucking woe is me.

And pussy #2, another "man" who calls himself "Kevin".

Notch one more up for paleo advocates who think your approach Richard is loud mouthed, arrogant, childish and naive.

And won’t you note that the both of them are basically anonymous. They have no website link, no profile, no email address. They’re…pussymen. They want to comment and critique that which they add nothing to, nor pay for, but they’re unwilling to suffer any consequences for their actions whatsoever. Pussies.

The moratorium on f-boms has come to an end. I’m clearly attracting the wrong kinds of readers. I always wanted this to go a particular way, and things are getting off track. My fault.

And here’s the deal: I loath paleo pussies (read it, you two). And, I’m all for slitting throats & eating livers. I meant it when I said this about our inner Animal.

No quarter, no mercy, go fuck yourselves.

The last thing this blog will ever be is a comfortable place for paleo tea & crumpets, for people who like to verbally masturbate in public. That would be unnatural, unnanimal.

1. Brett Legree on February 19, 2010 at 03:28

Oh yeah… now you’re talking.

Funny, eh, how these assholes – no matter where you find them – never have the fucking guts to leave any contact information.

The internet, a haven for the false brave.

I always figured people can find you (eventually) if you write something on the web, so might as well have the balls to put your name to it.

2. Andy on February 19, 2010 at 05:33

Ain’t nothing better than straight-up honesty. If that means cursing, so fuckin’ be it! Readers like me come here because the passion behind the content is so damn clear that I’ll even take stuff I disagree with and chew it over.

Rock on, dude.

3. Ryon Day on February 19, 2010 at 07:42

What about tea and Paleo Crumpets, made from Almond Flour?

As always, keep up the great work, Richard!

Ryon

4. Patrik on February 19, 2010 at 11:19

@Richard

The worst thing you could do is try to please everyone. What happens inevitably?

1) No one is happy
    2) Least of all (and most importantly!), yourself

Keep on keepin’ on!

5. Brett Legree on February 19, 2010 at 14:37

PS – I’m pretty new here, about two months, so I didn’t know I was getting the “watered down” version!

The “full strength” version is much, much better… fuck yeah…

6. Claude on February 19, 2010 at 01:42

right on Richard! Be yourself all the time, they usually make for your best posts!

7. KDC on February 19, 2010 at 01:50

Richard – congratulations! You’re back. You’re f-bomb hiatus lasted longer than most “go to gym-get healthy” New Year’s Resolutions!

Isn’t it great – being attacked by no-namers who have no opportunity costs in doing so? Their names have no identity, no purpose, no value – so they suffer no consequences and put nothing on the line.

I was having Nikoleyian F-Bomb withdrawal symptoms……I was starting to swear on my blog to make up for it.

8. Sarah Madden on February 19, 2010 at 02:18

Fuckin’ A Richard. Glad to have the uncensored you back.

9. Jeremy Hopkins on February 19, 2010 at 02:53

Fuck censorship.

This was the first paleo blog I stumbled upon. While sometimes people swear and carry on to get attention I could tell from the start you dropped those bombs due to passion, not to be an attention whore. In the last 5-6 weeks of going paleo I feel incredible, like given new life.

Thank you Richard for being the first stop in my journey and a place to constant come back to. I love the unfiltered information you give and the unheld emotion you show.

If they don’t like it, fuck em, the internet is a big place, no one is forcing them to read.

10. Lucky on February 19, 2010 at 03:01

Fuck Yeah! I’ve been reading your blog for months, and when you began the moratorium I thought WTF?! I want my information real, unadulterated, uncensored, and definitely de-pussified!

Rock on!

• Michael on February 20, 2010 at 03:45

Lucky, I didn’t know you were so feisty. I like it!

11. TPSW on February 19, 2010 at 03:09

Nice to see the Michael Savage/Ann Coulter of the Paleo world is back. While I am a less assertive, mostly lurker in that same world I think that you are very important to the Paleo message. I have gathered that you are not religious so don’t take offence when I say that you are like a John the Baptist, he was in people’s faces too. Anyway, keep it up, stay in their faces and never back down.
    BTW, has anyone told you that you resemble Jean Reno (see “Leon, The Professional” ? This…is for…Matilda.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 10:27

Jean Reno, eh? Nope, nobody ever told me that. Not even when I was living in France. But thanks. I happen to be a big fan of his acting and films.

12. Brian on February 19, 2010 at 03:27

I prefer the non-edited version. The right word in the right situation is a beautiful thing.

13. Frank Rigney on February 19, 2010 at 04:00

The problem with today’s world IS pussymen. If you speak your mind you’re a caveman. If you like drinking you’re an alcoholic. If you’re Tiger Woods and have the ability to have sex with 99% of the women you run into you’re a sex addict. Fuck ’em all.

14. Tony Adams on February 19, 2010 at 04:14

Raaaawrrrrrr! … ahem, I mean bravo!

15. Wendy on February 19, 2010 at 04:19

I have been following your blog for just a short while, I guess while you decided to clean up your act. I think you have a lot to offer to the low-carb blogging world and I have appreciated your articles.

You have the right to express yourself however you wish, but I also have the right to take my leave. I don’t think the colorful language is necessary. You are intelligent and articulate, but you do what seems right to you. I’m going to unsubscribe. Best wishes on your paleo journey.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 09:52

You are exactly right, Wendy. That’s the adult approach.

Hey, no way I can possibly be all things or even most things to all or even most potential readers. So, best move is to just let it flow and let the chips fall as they may.

Best wished to you too.

16. Nigel on February 19, 2010 at 04:33

You can’t please all of the people all of the time. That said, you’re not running this blog to please people. There’s just too much stupid out there!

17. Skyler Tanner on February 19, 2010 at 05:25

I just came here to say fuck.

18. Alan on February 19, 2010 at 05:46

Welcome back, we missed you.

19. warren on February 19, 2010 at 05:50

when adressing the problem of the diseases of civilization we need many voices to call attention. Your voice Richard, is loud and full of the fire that forces one to pause and fucking listen. May agree their is a problem but when seeking solutions we dont need relativism. I watched that Oliver video and liked it but when I saw Ted had Ornish qued up to watch next i got angry. Work up the crowd for a “food revolution” then hand them the little red book of nonfat religion. Fuck ambiguity.

20. Bill J. on February 19, 2010 at 06:06

Cool. Do your thing, Rich. Nobody else can.

21. Nancy on February 19, 2010 at 06:13

Richard, I read your blog daily. I enjoy reading the comments and lately found myself being slightly irritated by some folks but then lauging and thinking, why are anal retentive people so damn stupid? The ‘ARs’ are the same commenters as your ‘pussies’. So thanks for that post. It was a great way to start out the day with a very very good belly laugh!

I guess it’s not out of the realm of possibilities that it’s a deliberate disruption.

You do good work.

Nancy

22. Glenn on February 19, 2010 at 06:25

Welcome back Richard.

Let ‘er rip!

23. Alex on February 19, 2010 at 06:27

“Pussy #1, using a “man’s” name (“Joe”):”

I’m pointing out that his name is actually “John” just to see whether or not HTML is allowed in comments here.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 09:56

Thanks Alex. I fixed that.

24. Dave C. on February 19, 2010 at 06:41

Maybe those guys are closet vegans, with chronic low testosterone levels. 🙁 hehe

25. vivian on February 19, 2010 at 06:42

Richard, be yourself. It’s the only thing that works in the long run. I love your blog either way!

26. Tara on February 19, 2010 at 06:48

Good for you. Things are so much better when we can be ourselves. Anyone who is offended by the word fuck is also probably offended by the thought of eating poor, defenseless animals, primal sex and sweating. LOL I would have to say that this lifestyle probably isn’t for them anyway. Nothing feels as good as dropping an F-bomb in polite company. That’s right, bitch, I am who I am. Don’t censor me.

27. Jeanie Campbell on February 19, 2010 at 06:59

Jesus Christ already! Glad you’re back, Richard. Go get ’em.

28. Dave on February 19, 2010 at 07:09

The language never bothered me, but I liked the clean version as a place I could send people to help convert them. I can’t do that anymore. Oh well.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 09:58

Yea, Dave, that was actually the primary reason for cleaning up the act. But hey, I just gotta do what I do. You can send people over to Mark, Stephan and plenty of others. If they stick they’ll find out about this place soon enough and can then go with their own preferences in the matter.

29. Nicole on February 19, 2010 at 07:22

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time, and have yet to comment until now. WELCOME BACK!! I am thrilled that you are no longer going to tame down your thoughts (and language), which make your blog as great as it is!

30. Ian on February 19, 2010 at 07:25

I can get tea & crumpets paleo many places, I like tea and crumpets, but I also like raw, warm, bloody liver paleo too… keep cutting them up!

31. Heidi on February 19, 2010 at 07:40

Haha, Richard, you rock! Welcome back!

32. Rachel on February 19, 2010 at 07:43

I vastly prefer the uncensored you. It’s YOUR blog. You do it for you. The fact that so many of us benefit is a nice side effect, but not the primary purpose. You can’t “convert” people (not that you’re interested in doing so.) People will change if and when they want to. If a few four letter words scare them off, they likely weren’t that interested to begin with.

33. John Durant on February 19, 2010 at 07:45

Kick ass, Richard!

34. pecanmike on February 19, 2010 at 07:53

Be yourself. I read various sites about the paleo lifestyle but I always seems to click yours first. Feel free to kick ass.

35. Brian on February 19, 2010 at 07:59

I fucking love a well placed F-Bomb!
    Bring on the throat-slitting, liver eating, and fashionable intestine neck ties!

36. Swede on February 19, 2010 at 08:05

Good to see this Richard

You expose a big problem that I see in the US today: people place WAY too much value on words. Why is fuck so offensive to people? Sure it started off as a reference to sex, which makes many Americans very uncomfortable because religion has tried to control our sexual urges and make people feel guilty for having them. But aren’t we more liberated now? Fuck has become such an all-purpose word. It can be a noun, verb, adjective, adverb or interjection. What other word can you say that about? When you’re in a pinch and can’t think of the right word, fuck will often suffice nicely.

37. Laura on February 19, 2010 at 08:48

Don’t like the f-bombs, frankly, but the passion behind it? Oh yeah! You’ve great stuff to say. You fire us up. You expose the stupidity.

Welcome back.

Oh, and only wimps can’t look past offense to see wisdom. So, let those who camp on offense move along their merry way.

38. Buckeye on February 19, 2010 at 08:50

The Dude abides

39. xtremum on February 19, 2010 at 08:55

I’ll be honest I don’t care either way, I’m not offended and the information is top notch which is what I’m more worried about. I noticed the posts with people expressing offense and outrage beacuse you called someone a pussy. Since when is that so offensive? Anyway I agree about lettin’ out the inner animal…I seem to remember similar sentiments on Art’s site about this a few years ago. One final thought…not to diss other paleo blogs, but some others are pretty bland intheir presentation and I think if the owner/blogger was replaced the readers wouldn’t notice. Free The Animal has always had your voice coming through loud and clear, and that is one of its strengths in my opinion.

40. Anthony Z on February 19, 2010 at 08:55

Awesome, Richard! Glad to have you back!

Hey, you gave it a shot. But in the black hole that is the blogosphere you cannot tread lightly. Too many posers and anonymous wimps doing the hit-and-run posts.

You gotta give it to the world straight, my man. If they are not grown up and mature enought to handle it, they can go somewhere else!

41. Matt Perry on February 19, 2010 at 08:58

Hey its your blog, do with it what you want.

For what it’s worth, toning it down has nothing to do with language IMO. The general perception is that people who react strongly and get personally offended by completely innocuous internet debates are generally wrong. It’s widely seen as the “losers” last mechanism of defense in an argument. So even when someone who is generally “right” on the issue exhibits that defensive behavior, people intuitively turn off to your message regardless of the quality of content or strength of the argument. In a sense it’s the difference between providing a resource for everyone (“toning it down”) versus preaching to the choir (Only people who feel exactly the same way you do will even bother reading scathing rants). Just some food for thought.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 10:08

Matt:

Yes, definitely “preaching to the choir” is a huge aspect in all of this. But the choir is growing and that’s part of the point, too. So, part of what I do is just about me. I simply enjoy it as a primary aspect and the fact that tens of thousands are coming to read my “childish” ranting & raving for whatever their reasons is a good side benefit. Is suppose that for some it’s a vicarious outlet for their own rage and frustration in seeing so many friends and loved ones harmed by all the stupid out there. For others who agitate in their own right, maybe FTA is their pep talk place. Others come for the comments and discussion and that’s cool too.

And some just stumble in and stick around.

• freeagent on February 19, 2010 at 11:43

Fuck yeah Richard!…….would not have the same effect if I just wrote yeah richard.

42. Deb on February 19, 2010 at 08:59

43. Judy Cairns on February 19, 2010 at 09:00

Welcome back! I like you just the way you are, f-bombs and all.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 10:11

Thanks Judy. Nice blog. I just added it to the roll.

44. Vendo on February 19, 2010 at 09:09

“I did think it was unnatural and maybe even unhealthy for a former Sailor to try not to drop an F-bomb when it was clearly the proper response! Welcome back!”

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

45. Suzan on February 19, 2010 at 09:21

F-bombs don’t bother me. I don’t care for tea and crumpets. I do like strong coffee, hang gliding, and independent thought. Carry on.

46. Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 09:44

You have no concept of “gentleman.” The first thing, the most important part of a gentleman is his integrity & honor, and willingness to stand up for what he sees as right, damn the torpedos.

You’re just a pussy who’s projecting.

47. trinity on February 19, 2010 at 10:15

I work with a great teacher, and her motto is “I am not nice, I am real, and real is nicer.” She is hardcore and kicks my ass all the time, and I am a better person for it.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 11:05

Reminds me of a good friend who often comments that “everyone is ‘playing a role’ nowadays.”

48. Krys on February 19, 2010 at 10:17

I just have to agree with everything people have said, welcome back and fuck ’em if they don’t like it! It’s your blog, do what YOU want. We are who we are, and why should you censor it for anyone?
    Grok on!

49. Tim Starr on February 19, 2010 at 10:42

Maybe we should re-do the lyrics from “Team America: World Police”: “Paleo – Fuck Yeah!” I’m also rather partial to that movie’s theory that the world is divided into dicks & pussies, we need both, but I’d rather be a dick.

It’s especially amusing that “Kevin” has a Facebook profile putting him in Ireland, where every other word is “fuck.” Perhaps he’s reacting to that?

50. Tim Starr on February 19, 2010 at 11:01

Kevin: So, if Lysenko’s career had lasted until he was a septugenarian, you’d be calling for him to be respected, too?

51. Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 11:18

I’m buddies with Robb Wolf and have read his stuff on Campbell. I don’t see Robb showering the guy with respect.

At any rate, even if he did I’d have to disagree. Hopefully Campbell will kick it, soon, so I can call for pissing on his grave.

No respect, no quarter, no mercy. He’s a liar, a fraud, and he’s harming people by his lying & deception which, if you read the Masterjohn and Colpo reviews of the China Study, it’s intentional. It’s not a simple matter of being right or wrong or mistaken. It’s a matter of a dishonest agenda, and just like that other fraud, Ancel Keys, T. Colin Campbell should go down in utter, merciless shame for all time.

In a rational world, his descendants would change their names.

Fuck T. Colin Campbell.

52. JD Moyer on February 19, 2010 at 11:27

I still say take the high road — ignore the name-callers and get back to the Paleo posts!

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 11:34

Well JD, I think you’re offering a false alternative. I intend to take the high road of brutal honesty.

53. Travis on February 19, 2010 at 11:35

I like the blog in your natural writing voice, so the hell with trying to please the PC tea-coszies-and-warm-pastels-let’s-obfuscate-our-real-feelings crowd. Some people are just too damn sensitive. Stay original.

54. Jeanie Campbell on February 19, 2010 at 11:48

Ack! Richard, don’t paint all us “Campbell”s with the same brush! I married my wonderful husband and quite like the name. I admit this fraud is an embarrassment as a human being, but not as a Campbell. You know I love ya, man!

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 11:55

Indeed, Jeanie. It’s a fine name and the person who counts, anyway. 🙂

55. Henrico Otto on February 19, 2010 at 12:16

The problem isn’t with your language per se, it is with your failure to engage intellectually and the lack of any curiosity as to why others might disagree with you that that language represents. This becomes particularly offputting as you hold yourself out as having greater knowledge etc. than folks who — even if they may have reached the wrong conclusions — are vastly more sophisticated in their understanding of the relevant studies etc. than you.

You are a fat guy who lost some weight and glommed on to a simple idea about the intersection of evolution and diet. There are a bunch of subtle issues to deal with in that intersection but you have used name calling and bravado as a substitute for serious investigation. It is as if you not only practice a caveman diet, but also caveman thinking.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 12:48

That’s just a lie, Henrico; or, you’re simply ignorant and haven’t bothered to read the hundreds of posts that prove otherwise before strutting yourself out to criticize. (There are more than 800 posts on various aspects of diet, workouts, fasting, saturated fat, cholesterol, supplements like D & K2, and on and on.

Here’s the deal: I never fucking lie. Never. That somehow offends people.

• Henrico Otto on February 19, 2010 at 12:58

The fact that a number of folks “your” side — i.e. paleo — think you are offputting is feedback.

The posture that it is somehow some obviously inflated and overstated “heroic” fact about yourself — that you “never fucking lie. Never.” — that offends is an ostrich-like response to that feedback.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 13:17

“The fact that you have a lot of posts on topics says nothing about how you engage on those topics.”

And you’re lumping then altogether and that’s just bullshit. And, I still think you’re lying & bluffing. I doubt you’re read more than 10% of what’s here.

I listen to all feedback, Henrico. Some I choose to ignore, such as yours.

Thanks for sharing, and do have an ice day.

• Henrico Otto on February 19, 2010 at 15:18

I just responded to your comment “lumping together” your “800 posts.”

Your comment about “lying and bluffing” is bizarre. I expressed a view about your behavior. What could the “lie” be? That I don’t hold that view? I did not say I would do anything, so what is this “bluff” that you imagine?

I point that out only because I think that sort of response from you underscores the point that your response to criticism seems to be to lash out and accuse others of malevolent motives, rather than trying to understand why you are getting the response you are getting.

• the shmaltz on February 19, 2010 at 13:48

Right-on Henrico. You hit the nail on the head…I feel exactly the same. I also agree with Wendy. Richard, you have the right to conduct your blog the way you want, and I have the right to unsubscribe – which I have done. I’ve been an avvid reader of yours for just on 2 years. I am in awe of your passion and effort you have put into this project of yours, but sorry, you don’t do it for me any more. I’m ashamed to say that your tone is getting to be similar to those frothing-at-the-mouth vegans out there, and that’s a shame. Just my opinion and I have the right to express it, just as you have the right to express yours. Richard, I wish you well in the future, but I’m going to get my paleo fix in another neighbourhood. Regards.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 14:25

Smaltz:

Look, man, I’m old and experienced enough to know and accept that people come & go for a whole number of reasons and nothing’s gonna stop that — and me too with other blogs, even if it’s just time limits and I have to choose what to read over something else. The worst thing I could ever do is overreact and boo hoo about it when people see themselves to the door.

Moreover, I always have the option of quitting too. The last thing I’d want to do is the same thing all the time, or the same thing everyone else does.

• silverbenz on February 19, 2010 at 14:27

If by “vastly more sophisticated in their understanding” you actually meant “eloquent in their ability to apply confirmation bias unreservedly” then I’d have to agree with you. I don’t think anyone can dispute that ‘statistics’ can, and invariably will, be used to ‘prove’ that black is white by some people (Keysian Analysis?) – that just seems to be the way things are. Just because somebody can use a scientific vernacular to ascribe corollaries incorrectly doesn’t make them right, or worthy of respect.

I’d also have to disagree that Richard doesn’t engage in his chosen topics intellectually. FTA was one of the first blogs I discovered when researching ‘paleo’ subjects and I found a number of obviously well-researched articles here to help in my own understanding. Often, when speaking on a subject for which considerable science exists, Richard will link to more detailed posts or articles for anyone wanting to dive deeper, but still displays a solid understanding – in my view – of the subject. I have a fairly tuned bullshitometer and I wouldn’t still be here if I found Richard’s information consistently triggering the alarm bells.

In the end, eating real food ‘feels right.’ I don’t think anyone can argue against that with any credibility at all.

• Henrico Otto on February 19, 2010 at 15:39

I don’t equate understanding with eloquence, but do find offputting that serious people are dismissed as idiots on these pages simply because they disagree. By serious people I do mean people who actually engage in science and, yes, statistics.

Statistics can be misused, but I think it would be wrong-headed to stake the paleo case on a rejection on statistics as a method and on what “feels right.” If paleo is the correct way to go, it should stand up to scientific, including stastical, scrutiny. I think it will, but a number of well-documented human biases make our “feelings” poor guides on the issue — not the least of which is confirmation bias — though I agree they are data that should be attended to in this area.

And I wouldn’t stake the case of Mr. Nikoley’s purported intellectual engagement on the notion that “those high fallutin’ statistics” don’t mean anything anyway.

I agree that Mr. Nikoley does link to articles etc. But the issue here is how to arrive at a view when the scientific community is itself having a dispute. Mr. Nikoley links to the studies etc that support his view (and mine) and then calls everyone else an idiot. To my mind that does not reflect an intellectual engagement in the disputed issue.

It is sort of like a non-physicist coming to some view about the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, starting a blog about it and linking to folks (maybe even physists) who agree, and then calling all the Copenhagen interpretation physicists “fucking idiots.” OK. Maybe you’d happen to be right about MWI, but not for the right reasons and certainly not as a real engagement with others.

Mr. Nikoley has picked a side in the diet wars — I happen to be on the same side — but saying that serious folks with alternative views should “fucking go fuck themselves” is — as many others have noted — just childish.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 16:04

“people are dismissed as idiots on these pages simply because they disagree”

This is absolutely not the case and never has been.

If you were to pay close attention I reserve the vulgar dismissals for a certain category:

violations of established principles, like evolution. If evolution is true in the main, which it is, then these people are simply wrong. Being wrong is fine, but being wrong in direct nonsensical contradiction of principles is intolerable.

Look up Cordain on the blog as an example of someone I [used to] disagree with about saturated fat. Even though he was wrong, which he has now admitted, I only ever expressed frustration with him. He was paying attention to the principles, he was just interpreted them wrong. He never got the treatment. It’s not like he was pretending we just dropped out of the sky 6,000 years ago and have physiologies unique among all species of animals.

There are others, two. Hell, I even praised some raw vegans once for demonstrating they could benefit T2 diabetics.

But hey, focus on whatever you want.

• Henrico Otto on February 19, 2010 at 16:21

Of the many folks you have vulgarly dismissed (your words, with which I agree) I can’t think of one who denies the truth of evolution.

The issue is what implications that general theory has for human diet today, but principally as a program and framework of scientific investigation. It is not like the proper diet simply reads off the theory of evolution without more — all sorts of evidence bears on the issue and needs to be incorporated into our understanding. The notion that it is as simple as “Darwin was right, eat meat” ignores all the important scientific work and investigation that needs to go into backing up that claim.

This isn’t theology.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 16:30

Oh Jesus Fucking Christ on a banana peel.

We need fucking white coats and fucking studies to know what to fucking eat, and to know whether Real Food is better for us than processed industrial crap or a fucking chimp diet?

Jesus….

• Henrico Otto on February 19, 2010 at 17:44

If you want to hold yourself out as intellectually engaged dismissing the “fucking white coats” and “fucking studies” probably isn’t the way to go.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 20:59

That’s pretty lame. Looks like I’m on the verge of finally shutting up your nonsense. Shit, I’ll just quote the whole lame thing.

“f you want to hold yourself out as intellectually engaged dismissing the “fucking white coats” and “fucking studies” probably isn’t the way to go.”

Well guess what? I have no less than a half dozen or so white coats who answer my emails, MDs & PhDs. Why?

Can you guess?

• Henrico Otto on February 20, 2010 at 04:57

You have pretty weird standards for intellectual engagement, now it is something like: “people with MDs & PhDs answer my emails, actually as many as 6 of them.”

• Travis on February 20, 2010 at 13:08

Henrico,

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that you live only in your intellect and do no rely on your instincts very much. Many of us feel better eating this way and that’s enough for us. I’ve done a lot of reading on this subject as well as on the flip side — vegetarianism. I tried to be a vegetarian years ago to get off of the SAD and it did not work for me. My body feels best following a paleo-style diet, which we each tweak to work for us. I don’t blindly follow Cordain’s or the Eades’ advice or that of anyone else. I’ve found what works for me from a several sources and I’ve relied on how I feel to direct me.

I go with my gut instinct in life and guess what? I’m an academic! I’m a scientist. I’ve had enough experience in life to tell me that academic inquiry is indeed a valid means of seeking knowledge; however, it isn’t everything. It’s simply one means of examining the world in an attempt to gather nature’s secrets. For me, to only live in that academic frame of reference means I’m missing some part of my humanity, the part that’s the animal, which is alive, well, and very tuned in.

Sometimes, primal gut instinct triumphs over the circumlocutions of the never-ceasing internal monologue of words and symbols we all experience. Shut off the language, and listen to those other thoughts sometime from deeper in your brain, from the older part of your mind. It’s far more developed than the outer layers. It’s the part that tells you to run from the alligator, not stand around debating which species of alligator is confronting you and whether or not its brain has changed much in the last one million years. Truth is not provided only by studies in academic publications.

Finally, Richard writes a blog, which means it’s based on his opinions. Richard’s blog has provided a lot of useful information. There’s plenty of intellectual content here, but perhaps it’s not in the staid form that you’re accustomed to.

• Henrico Otto on February 20, 2010 at 17:20

Travis,

I agree with much of what you say about how to approach issues of diet etc. But the sort of approach you describe is an openness to evidence and feedback; it does not fit well with going around calling everyone else — including serious folks who study the relevant issues — “fucking idiots.”

56. jon w on February 19, 2010 at 12:34

woot, welcome back. didnt care for the watered down version.

57. Robin on February 19, 2010 at 12:57

Seriously, anyone too delicate to hold up under a few f-bombs and strongly expressed verbal opinions would have been selected out of the gene pool back in the paleo days. If you don’t like what Richard has to say or how he says it, no one is forcing you to stick around. I for one vote you off the readership.

58. Chris on February 19, 2010 at 13:53

heh….welcome back….

With 73 comments so far, I think this is an endorsement!

59. Andrew on February 19, 2010 at 14:58

I for one love your style and passion for Paleo, tell it as you see it and swear away if that’s how you want to write, it’s your blog.

60. Laurie on February 19, 2010 at 15:26

Haha, OK, but I will have to stop reading this blog at school during planning and save it for home 😉 I grew up with a Dad who had been a WWII sailor in the Pacific for the duration. Have to say he never used F-bombs, but I certainly heard every other variation of cursing you can think of. He was a colorful guy and I appreciate that type of personality. Carry on!

61. Tim Starr on February 19, 2010 at 15:46

The world’s full of old people who believe crap, spout crap, and live by that crap, but it’s still crap. Some of them do “scientific” studies & publish books full of crap. Some of them are unwilling to ever seriously consider the possibility their crap could be wrong. There have been entire pseudo-sciences devoted to crap, such as phrenology. There’s no reason to respect crap or crap-peddlers. It’s uninformative to simply call it crap, but once you’ve shown it’s crap there’s nothing wrong with expressing your evaluation of it.

62. Inga on February 19, 2010 at 17:24

“The one thing I always try to keep in mind when I blog is that this is serious. I’m not playing around. People are being maimed & murdered out there by white coats, food & drug companies and their whores in the media. We’re in a fight for our lives.”

And that there is why I keep coming back. Colourful language or not, the main message is Richard is angry, and passionate. And very articulate. I’d not go so far as to say the F-bombs were essential to the text, in fact I dont think they are, but if they are essential to Richard then I have no issue with them. While I often gloss over yet another long and tedious MDA post, I always read the FTA posts and often read the comments.

Do what you need to do to get your message out there. The world is a better place because of it.

63. Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 17:57

“but if they are essential to Richard”

For better or worse, they seem to be. It’s a big part of what keeps me in the game.

Glad to see someone who really gets it.

BTW, I agree with you: they are not essential generally. Just my weakness.

64. BMcD on February 19, 2010 at 20:49

Your passion and style are the reasons I turn to your blog first. Always. And there are a lot of paleo blogs out there. In fact, it attracts a lot of people, even the douche bags who can’t help but try to annoy you. The world is a better and more honest place when you drop F-bombs.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 20:55

After a long day, and while sipping some Royal Crown Canadian (remember the “ever seen a grown man cry” ads from way back?), I really appreciate that.

Thanks.

65. Kim Williams on February 19, 2010 at 22:40

Towanda! Fuck yeah.
    Long time lurker, but I want to say how much I appreciate the blog. New to all this, but I am learning so much. Thanks for your unvarnished passion.

66. Janice H on February 20, 2010 at 05:04

I actually was never a big fan of the F bombs BUT I do have to say that when you had the watered down version of your blog it didn’t feel right anymore. I felt you weren’t being true to yourself and what makes you, well you. And yes, I started missing the Richard that used to be on here.
    So welcome back. We all have the capability of clicking off of here if we’ve had enough or are offended but I do love the fact that I always know where you are coming from. Gotta love that.

• Heather Lackey on February 20, 2010 at 10:35

I agree – it didn’t feel right, and it wasn’t because the “fucks” were missing. I’m glad it’s back to business as usual.

67. Ross on February 20, 2010 at 19:25

To quote the ever-handy-with-a-word Gus Grissom, “Fuckin-A!”

68. Diana on February 25, 2010 at 10:09

Richard
    Just want to agree with mostly everyone else…you are at your best when you are true to yourself!
    As one who is not very easily offended, and who drops their share of F-bombs daily, I am happy to see you being you! Keep up the great work!

69. Helen on September 13, 2010 at 12:21