Simple: Filet & Veggies

This sort of thing is probably my favorite meal. This time, I pan fried the filets in cast iron with ghee. Brown all over, then cover for a couple of minutes per side, then keep turning & browning until your desired doneness is reached. These thick ones take a while, but they’re also pretty forgiving. Notice how the butter from the vegetables loves the sauce reduction and vice versa. Animal fats are such nice & loving people. And we love them too around here.

Filet Veggies
Filet & Veggies

Veggies were fresh, put in a covered sausepan with a hunk of butter on low until soft. Simple pimple. Sauce was beef stock reduced, couple tbsps of butter, sprig of fresh rosemary, clove of crushed garlic & a few crushed blackberries. Once under boil for a while, strain, reduce, and thicken with a dash or two of potato starch if needed.

Oh, almost forgot dessert.

Eggs Butter
Eggs & Butter

1. Colton on February 23, 2010 at 14:33

I love that you have Kerrygold butter in the background! That stuff is amazing! Glad that the Irish still make butter the way it was meant to be.

2. golooraam on February 23, 2010 at 15:09

the only butter I now use… I cook only with that and Range Brothers Leaf lard

3. LX on February 23, 2010 at 15:26

Well, this certainly solves a huge problem for me: how do I enjoy my butter (and I do enjoy butter) without any of that nasty bread . . . . .

• Richard Nikoley on February 23, 2010 at 16:16

Man, you can do so much with butter. Put it in celery just like they do with PB or cream cheese. Cucumber slices are good, too, as well as using butter lettuce as a wrap for a good chunk of this butter. You can also use thinly sliced ham, turkey, chicken, roast beef and roll up a good chunk of butter.

List goes on and on.

• Matt on February 23, 2010 at 17:06

I do the hard boiled egg with butter salt and pepper thing too. I bring a doz eggs and a block of kerrygold to work. Flying the freak flag high as Dr Harris says, but they’ll be the freaks with their Lean Cuisine Santa Fe “Chicken” in due time.

• Kevin on February 23, 2010 at 18:43

I butter cheese if its texture will stand up to it. Also, I’ve discovered, since I can only get unadulturated cream at considerable expense or with some trouble, that pouring hot tea or coffee over a nice lump of butter is a pleasant way to get outside the stuff. Bonus: goodbye, chapped lips, if drank consistently over the course of a few days.

A vegetable is only as good as its ability to deliver butter. Had bread been invented (or discovered?) in a world without butter, I wonder if it may not have caught on…

I’ll be sure to try a cucumber slice spread with butter. Or, more likely, slices.

• Heather Lackey on February 23, 2010 at 20:19

It tastes pretty good off the side of a butter knife, too.

4. Organic Gabe on February 23, 2010 at 15:26

It may be simple, but it’s good 🙂

5. Jeanie Campbell on February 23, 2010 at 17:37

I’m making my own butter, now, with really good cream. It’s very easy, too! It’s not quite as expensive as Kerrygold that way, but we keep Kerrygold around anyway. As Homer Simpson says, “Mmmmm, butter…”

6. Alex on February 23, 2010 at 19:13

zOMG! Arterycloggingsaturatedfat!!!!

7. Feb 24 – CrossFit Estero « on February 23, 2010 at 20:14

[…] Free The Animal […]

8. Pam Maltzman on February 23, 2010 at 21:59

I’ll vouch for the goodness of Kerrygold butter. We used to have a Grocery Warehouse in my town here, and a few years back I got a bunch of Kerrygold on sale! Stuck it in the freezer. They also had Anchor (New Zealand) butter. It may be pasteurized, but it’s still good.

Since I haven’t gotten either of those two brands in a while, there are a few other acceptable brands I use, and stock up when they’e on sale. The 99 Cent Stores sell Danish Creamery Butter for $1.00 for 8 oz., or $2.00/lb. Trader Joe’s has their own brand which is not too much more expensive. Challenge Butter is also decent. These days I only get unsalted butter, so that I can use sea salt for everything that needs salt.

9. Pam Maltzman on February 23, 2010 at 22:01

You can also just put a few tablespoonfuls of butter in a small dessert dish and eat it that way. Can also do that with homemade mayonnaise (using coconut oil mixed with olive oil). It’s that good.

10. Steven on February 24, 2010 at 06:45

Would anyone me able to give me a comparison between the Kerrygold and this:

Are they remotely similar?

I have not been able to find the Kerrygold anywhere around where I live so I have been using it. In general I find the stuff pretty fantastic but if I need to not be using it then so be it.

Thanks in advance!

• Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2010 at 08:51

That and their regular organic butter is what I was primarily using before I came upon Kerrygold. I think it’s a good product.

• Steven on February 24, 2010 at 09:04

Richard,

Thanks for heads up. I am trying to get a local store to stock the kerrygold but as of yet no luck. But feel better on this choice now.

11. Pam Maltzman on March 1, 2010 at 19:48

Trader Joe’s stocks Kerrygold, maybe some of Whole Foods markets do too.

I will also vouch for the goodness of Organic Pastures’s raw butter. It’s great, and it’s what I’d exclusively use if I had no bills to pay. Last time I checked, it was about $10.00 per pound, a little too pricy for me right now. But the taste will knock your socks off.