Sunday Rock for the Countrys

Well, I saw Crazy Heart yesterday and was left a bit wanting. I dunno. I like the title track enough — got it in the library now — but I could just think of so many western ballads that are so much better. Plus, Jeffie boy just couldn’t muster that much sympathy with me. Glad he got it together, though. On the bright side, if he can get chicks looking like that….

So hey, here’s a better country ballad, by Willie Nelson, with a little latin salsa thrown in for spice. Bet you listen twice. Its that good.

This is from Willie’s album — his best in my view — Teatro. And that’s Emmylou Harris singing close backup harmony. Pure gold. It’s very rare when I like virtually ever track on an album, but I sure do with this one.

1. Lute on February 28, 2010 at 18:51

Right after this post I am downloading That album. Of course I don’t have to tell you the fan that I am of country music, well most of it anyway. I have some Willie Nelson on my iPhone/iPod already, so I’ll just have more.

2. Bay Area Sparky on February 28, 2010 at 19:06

Great Sunday Rock, Richard. Teatro is arguably Willie’s best album. Daniel Lanois did such a masterful job as producer as he did on Emmylou’s album, Wrecking Ball.

Heard mixed reviews on “Crazy Heart.” Not sure if it’ll measure up to Robert Duvall’s performance in “Tender Mercies.” Guess I’ll have to see for myself.

3. Rob K on February 28, 2010 at 19:55

Willie Nelson chose well when he chose Daniel Lanois to produce that. It’s magic. You should look into Daniel Lanios’ own albums if you haven’t already.

4. Trish on February 28, 2010 at 20:03

I would sell my left boob to look like Emmylou Harris. And Willie = The Man.

5. Flying Burrito Nola on March 1, 2010 at 17:13

Greetings all. Have been reading this blog surreptitiously for several weeks and it’s been like a breath of fresh air and virtual camaraderie in the previous isolation (and subsequent revelation) of my own little caveman study, where I have used myself as a Guinea Pig for almost a year–and the results are so absolutely conclusive (as many of you know). There is energy, clarity, fat keeps disappearing all by its magical self and I’m never really hungry anymore…that part is actually a strange byproduct. There is really sustaining energy, real fuel in the former slag heap now! Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and kick my old self awake.

But it all started really many years ago when I would walk through the aisles of my local grocery store and just always have all these little alarms go off–this sneaking sense that 80 percent of the food stuff in the grocery store was really somehow non-nutritive poison. I’d think, that box of cereal there tastes kind of good but always kind of makes me feel lousy, or that can of soup there doesn’t really taste like a good meal should. I’d look at rows and rows of “groceries” and walk up and down each and every aisle with micro-explosive panic attacks going off in my head that something just wasn’t quite right here, vaguely remembering how much of this stuff ultimately never really made me feel all that good and always thinking that something seemed wrong with this picture spread out like a false wonderland before me. Many times I would walk out with nothing and remain hungry and confused. It’s just I felt like every time I ate this or that packaged thing, I would still feel hungry or like something was missing. I often dreamed of home-cooked meals of a fine roast and vegetables or a baked chicken (you’d think I would’ve rented a clue) but indoctrination and laziness always caused me to look the other way for some pre-packaged food stuff I could quickly throw in the microwave or eat immediately (even though I cooked professionally for five years!). It started becoming a sort-of personal, secret torment. And I could never lose that extra twenty or thirty pounds no matter what I did, no matter how hard I pumped the bicycle or barbells.

Years later, I came across a journalistic expose by Gary Taubes, “Good Calories, Bad Calories”. Something about Mr. Taubes’ massive tome convinced me that he was about to crack it wide open. Here was the empirical evidence re-sampled and free from the maws of corporate grocer lobbies, political influence and self-interest. Really, people like the Inuit can eat whale fat and NOT get fat and die (so to speak)? When I finally got to the last chapter that revealed Taubes’ conclusion, I was so startled that we all had been so misled for so long by the lie of the ridiculous “food pyramid,” and the erroneous concept of “low fat,” etc, that I felt like “Neo” after he had taken the red pill from Morpheus that psychologically revealed the construct of The Matrix (“take the red pill…and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes”). It has really felt like that, your eyes suddenly open and you look around and see mankind with all sorts of modern ailments like diabetes and simple reoccurring illness like the common cold and the flu, so to speak, getting fatter and unhealthier eating all kinds of junk and processed stuffs masquerading as fuel when the reality can be so much different. Others can say this better than I can.

Forgive the protracted soliloquy and I don’t mean to hyperventilate. I just wanted to say thanks to Richard Nikoley very much for filling the vacuum and speaking so eloquently for the rest of us and providing such an excellent, erudite forum with which we can all connect and share our Paleo experiences. I, for one, will never look back! I’m looking down at my feet and my toes now wriggling happily with the 30 pounds of less weight to carry around that I lost effortlessly over the past year. Another side effect is that my emerging arthritis has completely disappeared, which is great news for an artist who works 24/7 with his hands. Anyway, I feel like you are speaking for many of us, Richard. I really appreciate your blog, I got you bookmarked.

PS. Love Teatro, have had that for a long time. Saw Emmylou Harris with Daniel Lanois, it was magical. Ricky Lee Jones was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen also–back in the early days.

6. Flying Burrito Nola on March 1, 2010 at 17:21

PS. I’m six feet tall and at my heaviest, weighed 250 lbs. I now weigh a lot less but it’s not really about that, it’s really kind of everything else. I also agree about the hair and shampoo thing. Stopped using soap to wash the hair about three weeks ago. Works…and no more Winter dandruff.

7. Guy on March 2, 2010 at 18:03

Thanks for posting that video. I’ve decided Willie is the only performer worth my time and money to go see in concert. Seeing him at a club in NYC, standing just a few feet away, was just an amazing experience. If anyone has a chance to go see him (no matter the venue), do so. He plays practically every song of his every show. Just an awesome performer.

8. Chasity Hitec on March 7, 2010 at 04:30

This might be a weird query, but I am a vegan, and am trying to find trainers (sneakers) which do not contain any animal suffering. I gather that many trainers contain either ingredients which have been tried out with lab rats, or are manufactured with animal products. Are there trainer brands that are entirely artificial?