Two Gross Human Skeletons Lecture You on Nutrition

Here’s how you could look in your late 60s & 70s; with a bit of attention, especially good animal protein intake, resistance training, and if need be (as in the case of Dr. Life) some bioidentical testosterone and HgH ($$$: Scott Miller: what does it cost?).

You could look like Art, at 72. He’ll tell you himself: I’t’s not hard.

Amazing Arthur
Amazing Arthur

How about Clarence Bass, at 70?

Clarence Bass
Clarence Bass

Then there’s Dr.Dr.. Jeff Life. I have two pics, the first one that Beatrice & I saw on a billboard in Vegas a night or so ago.

Dr  Jeffrey Life Billboard
Dr. Jeff Life Billboard

Here he was a few years back, winning a Body For Life Comp, I think.

Jeff Life
Jeff Life

Or, you can look like these assholes, Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn: old human skeletons so un-virile (impotent, yet?), so unappealing. They want you to eat — because they do and misery loves company — a pea-brain (literally) diet of hominids that’s obsolete for humans by about 4 million years.

I can accept that this sort of monkey-wrenching diet could work for some people already far gone (but paleo would probably work better — just get off processed foods), but that’s only because it’s pharmacological in scope.

Here’s the effing stupid website for that video. (HT: commenter)

1. Jorge on February 18, 2010 at 22:55

Wow, that was fast ! I was just reading Chris Masterjohn’s review of Esselstyn’s book when this post appeared.

Exactly my thoughts, they look so wasted, like drappery hanging over a skeleton … just shows what inadequate nutrition can do to a body.

How anyone in their right mind can recommend no oils and no fats is beyond comprehension …

• Alex on February 19, 2010 at 05:11

I can see one possible benefit of going on a low-fat diet: If a significant amount of ones dietary fat used to come from industrial vegetable oil, greatly reducing that intake would be beneficial.

2. Michael on February 19, 2010 at 01:02

The two doctors look terrible. Does anyone think to even question the obvious or do most people think that is what we will look like when we get old no matter how healthy we eat? It is not a question of looking like a bodybuilder but rather at least looking healthy short of some extenuating circumstances.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, if it wasn’t for Clarence Bass’s exercise regimen over the years, he might look like the two docs based on some of his dietary advice I have read.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 01:17

Right, Michael. My theory on that is that he’s #1 genetically gifted and #2 his exercise regimen most likely attenuates appetite.

I think that some degree of fasting whether structured or natural trumps just about everything else and makes a lot of evolutionary sense. We had to exist on anything we could find to eat, at times.

• Elizabeth @ The Nourished Life on February 19, 2010 at 05:17

“Does anyone think to even question the obvious or do most people think that is what we will look like when we get old no matter how healthy we eat?”

Michael, from what I see this is really the way people think–I’m going to lose substantial muscle mass when I am older, I’ll probably get diabetes in my 50s or 60s (or earlier!), one of my hips will go out due to bone loss, my metabolism will slow to a halt and I’ll go up several sizes in my jeans… it’s all just inevitable, we have no control over it.

It’s amazing how little control people believe we have over our health and well-being. Over course, we can’t control every single thing that happens to us, but it’s amazing how much of an impact our lifestyle choices have on our health. If I hadn’t started eating real food and learning to take it easy, I would probably have finally given in and gone on anti-depressants (which I was dead set against doing). But thanks to everything I’ve learned I’m in a much happier place now, without any prescriptions!

3. Lucky on February 19, 2010 at 03:06

My best friend recently told me I needed to lose twenty pounds. I think I look fantastic – with curves in all the right places, with growing muscles. She – a longtime vegan – looks emaciated, bony, like a little boy with no womanly softness, no muscle definition. Her skin is pale, anemic.

Vegans are skeletons, are ghosts, with forgotten memory of what it is to be human. True compassion, I tell my friend, is caring for yourself so that you can care for others.

4. Charentais on February 19, 2010 at 06:25

Egads, that video was dramatic!

How can they say they’re bucking the status quo with their revolutionary ideas? Their ideas seem pretty conventional to me.

Oooh, revolutionary!

And is it really correct to say that the Chinese are all the same genetically? As I understand it, there are many different ethnic groups living within China. What the dickens does that mean?

5. Dave C. on February 19, 2010 at 06:39

This is a pretty dramatic difference in body composition. I’m a little disappointed that the one doctor uses testosterone supplement and human growth hormone. If it can’t be done naturally, than it really isn’t worth including in the examples, in my opinion.

• Michael on February 20, 2010 at 02:12

It seems to me that is no different than supplementation. In fact, one of the things that changed my mind about HGH and hormone supplementation was my ex-girlfriend, a die-hard follower of the principles of Weston Price, who was taking HGH as prescribed by a very well known WAP clinical practitioner, someone that many would recognize. Further some substances we call vitamins are actually hormones, but since they haven’t been vilified by the powers that be they are well accepted in conventional wisdom.

6. Dave, RN on February 19, 2010 at 07:07

Someone give me the 30 second inservice on Clarence Bass. I though he was a vegetarian. How does he fit in with the others?

At one time there was a film coming out called “In Search of the Perfect Human Diet”. http://www.perfecthumandiet.us/index.html
    It looks like it was to look at diet from a paleo point of view, but seems to have stalled as far as the release goes. If it is what it appears to be, and gets released, it might be the answer to stupid films like “Forks over Knives”.

I’ll never figure out how stupid these people can be. Can’t they figure out that you can only be a vegetarian if it’s convenient? Because once winter comes, there ain’t no veggies to eat save for importing them from elsewhere (just think of the carbon footprint). And that wasn’t an option until recently in human history. In which case it can’t be a natural diet for humans.

7. Dave, RN on February 19, 2010 at 07:10

From Clarence’s website:
    But here’s a brief summary: my eating style is low in fat (not too low), high in natural carbohydrates (carbs, the right kind, are not fattening) and near vegetarian (small amounts of meat and fish). Still there’s plenty of good quality protein for the hardest training athlete. All the macro- and micro-nutrients are there. It’s healthy, balanced – and satisfying.
    Not exactly the poster boy for paleo eating.
    I must be missing something. I lay my ignorance out for all to see. What am I missing?

• Michael on February 20, 2010 at 02:18

The problems with Clarence’s diet, in my opinion, is that it is/was to low in saturated fats. He bought into the unsaturated fat dogma which may have been the basis of many of his health problems over the last few years, but that is purely speculative on my part. However his diet has evolved over time. This is not how he ate in his early days of bodybuilding as a young man.

8. Tim Rangitsch on February 19, 2010 at 07:20

My opinion is that this the vegan/vegetarian diet, based on whole/real foods does indeed have merit in certain regards. I don’t think they are even aware that the main benefit to such a way of eating, is to eliminate sugars, industrial omega 6 oils, and other modern processed foods. These eliminations are the likely key to any success the vegan/vegetarian *whole food based* diet has. Another unseen benefit to this Veg diet would be the FASTING state in which it will put followers. There is sparse nutrition in any of these foods, and a restricted caloric intake and resultant fasting state can set the body into a conservative/healing mode. This also helps account for any successes avoiding disease, cancer among them. All this places this way of eating far above the processed foods based Standard American (Worldwide) Diet. Bully for them.

Trouble is the Veg diet is the deficiency diseases that are inevitable. Muscle wasting, bone loss, neurological degenerative disease from a lack of complete animal sourced fats and protein. While the human animal can live on the Veg diet, it can not thrive. You might not get cancer, but you are going to erode neurons, axions, bone and muscle. It is evident in that video.

Then comes the next level of problems the Veg diet will lead to. Compliance is poor, processed foods and many “veg” approved franken-foods quickly become the staple of most Veg diet practitioners (just as it does in omnivorous SAD eaters). A Veg eater can go to McDonald’s and partake in a Veg allowed order of fries, soda, and cherry pie same as the SAD eaters can, and they do. Doritos, Cheetos, and Chips Ahoy are all vegan ready. Yay, a fast food Vegetarian.

It is conceivable that a Veg idealist, afraid of red meat (for whatever reason) that can incorporate eggs, dairy, fish/seafood (somehow many copout BS artist Veg’s will eat those animal products and maintain their Veg purity identity, go figure that one out) will end up with a whole foods diet, with adequate animal fats and proteins in a fantastically short supply, yet adequate for a healthy life. Then these “Veg” fish/egg/dairy eaters would likely continue to delude themselves that they are healthy in spite of the animal sourced foods, not because of them. Ah, the frustration.

Glad I’ve got my Paleo way of eating figured out. And glad that I can see into other ideals and take from them what may work and understand what does not. I am amazed by the tunnel vision of so many experts/professionals in the nutritional “science” and policy game.

• Michael on February 20, 2010 at 02:22

I don’t think we should conflate veganism and vegetarianism. There is a huge qualitative difference between the two. Vegetarians, who consume animal products, and meats eaters differ in degree not kind. Vegans on the other hand, while often grouped with vegetarians, are actually a world apart.

To put it bluntly, there are only two types of people in the world, those that eat animal products, and those who don’t. Vegetarians belong to the former category, vegans belong to the latter, and it does make a difference.

9. Dave, RN on February 19, 2010 at 07:25

Falling in the category of I-should-have-researched-more-before-posting, here’s updated info on the “Perfect Human Diet” film.

10. donny on February 19, 2010 at 07:42

To be fair, Campbell does give a decrease in sex hormones as one of the benefits of a plant-based diet.
    He cites later menarche (as late as eighteen years) and earlier menopause as good things, causing a decrease in sex hormone related cancers. Manliness and womanliness are obviously sinful, and the penance and cure as in ancient times is asceticism.

Campbell thinks animal protein intake in China is insignificant, just because it’s low. He totally ignores the fact that this might just make it crucial.

Even the Chinese don’t really want to eat the Chinese diet. As soon as people can afford a little meat and fat, they go for it. I don’t think that’s a mistake, I think we have a genuine appetite for this stuff. The only real problem is it comes on a sesame seed bun with a side of fries and a coke.

• Paul C on February 19, 2010 at 10:51

donny,
      Are you saying sex hormone related cancers have no relation to nutrition?

I’d like to see a study of paleo-maintained bodies that have more sex hormones and test for cancer rate. I have a feeling nobody will ever fund that one, and we wouldn’t see results for 10+ years.

11. Veronica on February 19, 2010 at 08:29

If I was the average American eating a SAD diet watching that trailer and later the movie, it might be convincing. If I were to switch over to a “plant based” from the SAD diet, I might see improvements in my health and body comp. Would or could I make a lifestyle of it? Probably not, because me likes my meat and fat.

As far as judging a personal credibility on looks alone, Mark Sisson argues that point in his recent blog: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/trusting-authorities-or-not-based-on-appearance/ We really shouldn’t judge the validity of a person’s knowledge by his/her appearance – not always and not completely anyway.

Campbell and Esselstyn do make valid points as far as improving one’s health by changing one’s diet from a highly processed diet to a more natural one. They just left out two of the best food items.

12. Tony K on February 19, 2010 at 08:40

I believe that one of Dr. Life’s things is that he advocates human growth hormone.

Otherwise, point taken.

Cheers,
    Tony

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 09:34

Yep, Tony, T and HgH, I believe. I don’t know I’d classify any differently than say, taking supplement pills, especially vitamin D which is a hormone and many of us are taking far more than we could get naturally year round. It’s just that these have to be injected.

At any rate, the point I was making was the ability of having excellent gene expression and lean mass retention and even growth well into advanced age. I doubt many are going to achieve that on the prescriptions of the two skeletons.

• Michael on February 20, 2010 at 02:27

Forgive me Richard, I know how you feel about these kind of things, but I’m going to say it anyway:

“And all God’s people said, ‘Amen!'” 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on February 20, 2010 at 10:40

Ha!

13. jamesmooney on February 19, 2010 at 09:30

Dave, you are missing CB’s “hormonal help” over the years.

14. Dave, RN on February 19, 2010 at 10:48

jamesmooney, can you direct me to “hormone help”? I’ve searched his site and all I can find is info that says to avoid hormone manipulation.

15. zach on February 19, 2010 at 11:51

I wonder if they also have a psychological aversion to animal product eating. We all know people who think animal eating is moral and healthy, but they are “grossed out” by the thought of it. It’s a natural non sequitir: “eating plants is cleaner and more ungross than eating meat” to “eating plants must therefore be healthier”

16. jamesmooney on February 19, 2010 at 12:08

Dave,

Here is just one, plus I do recall YEARS ago reading his first book and his mention of this as well. I have ZERO problem with “hormonal help” and as soon as I turn 40 will be seriously looking into it myself. To my knowledge, CB is wide open about his experimentation and doesn’t hide it like some people (Stallone until he got busted).

17. Dave, RN on February 19, 2010 at 12:41

Thanks. Based on this quote from that link:

“Through a low fat, high complex carbohydrate, moderate protein, almost vegetarian diet, Clarence has been able to maintain an exceptionally low body fat.”

are we just to assume that Clarence is a statistical outlier, or am I missing the point completely?

jamesmooney, how do you intent to get your “hormonal help”? I’m 49, and although I’m in better shape than anyone I know my age, (and many younger), have been wondering about it myself and what the pro’s and cons are of what I assume to be testosterone cream/injections.

Sorry for being a little off topic. Just a rabbit trail that developed…

18. jamesmooney on February 19, 2010 at 13:06

I just posted that link for the editors note, which mentioned his early experimentation. From what I have seen, unless you are an outlier (and I know plenty of them) you don’t look like that without some help. I just remember myself calling bullshit in some of those old Stallone interviews and articles that lauded his “strict diet” and exercise and how anyone with the proper discipline can look like that. As for me, I am 38, so I will get my tests in 2 years and see what can be done through the services of a physician. I have a good idea how that will turn out, so I will go the more traditional route and get them like everyone else and take my health into my own hands. . . which is what everyone on here appears to be doing with great results! Perhaps by that time hgh will come down a bit in price.

• Richard Nikoley on February 19, 2010 at 13:18

Anyone have any idea what the costs are these days?

• Michael on February 20, 2010 at 02:36

I don’t know. Steve Maxwell looks awfully good at 57 and I’m certain he is not on the “juice”.

19. Scott Miller on February 19, 2010 at 13:17

>>> and if need be (as in the case of Dr. Life) some bioidentical testosterone and HgH ($$$: Scott Miller: what does it cost?). <<<

Taking both runs about $800 a month. Certainly not cheap, but definitely affordable my enough people to make it a worthwhile business. I only take bio-identical testosterone, as it confers numerous health benefits (for example, highly cardio protective), as well as a definitely muscle recuperation advantage. Not to mention, an overall sense of well-being. IMO, every man over 45 should be taking it. Those over 50 who start notice immediate, almost profound benefits. That's because they've gone 20+ years with declining levels, and it happens so slowly they simply don't notice, and just associate the declining well-being with getting older. I keep my levels at those of a 30-yr-old.

• DR.BG on February 19, 2010 at 17:23

I would second that! *wink* shiny sparkly skin hair eyes? X-image??!

Never do I plan on going thru perimenopause or menopause — why? We have neolithic advantages to maintain our health:
      –bioidentical estrogen E2 E3, progesterone, DHEA, T, pregnenolone (nuclear hormones)
      –omega-3 (nuclear hormone)
      –vitamin D (nuclear prohormone which increases testosterone and lean muscle mass — can you say ANABOLIC?)
      –thyroid (another nuclear hormone)

What is the cost to not address these?

Consider checking out:
      Mark Hyman MD, author Ultramind
      Cheryle Hart MD, Mayo trained OB
      Uzzi Reiss MD, author SUPERWOMAN and hormone health books (advocated by Drs. EADES)

20. Swede on February 19, 2010 at 13:20

The fighter they show in the video is UFC fighter Mac Danzig, who claims to be a vegan since 2004. Look him up and you can see what he eats. He seems pretty passionate about animal rights. He has a great physique and actually gives the diet a good name. His overall record is 20-7-1, but that includes a lot of amateur fights. In the UFC, he is 3-4. We’ll see how he progresses in the future against all the other fighters who I would imagine would never even dare to try going vegan!

21. zach on February 19, 2010 at 13:30

You’re right, these guys are assholes. A couple days unbiased research and they would happen upon anthropological evidence that obliterates their stupid claims. Weston Price alone disproves their bullshit. They want to deprive a whole class of nutrient dense foods to people based on lies and fraud.

22. Helen on September 23, 2010 at 07:09

ROFL…I just totally loved that anxiety-generating sound-track.