Chicken Sous Vide with Tarragon Rosemary Sauce

Last night’s dinner using the Sous Vide Supreme. Chicken was brined in a weak solution (5 tbsp per quart of water) for an hour, sealed up with a pinch of sea salt & pat of butter, like here, then cooked at 146F for two hours. Click for the high quality version.

Chicken Sous Vide
Chicken Sous Vide

The sauce was a quart of a quality low-sodium, organic, free range chicken broth reduced by about half, along with a pinch or two of a poultry dry rub mix, about 1/2 cup of chopped fresh tarragon, a small sprig of fresh rosemary and two good tbsp of butter. Then it was strained and thickened with a slurry of 1 tsp potato starch. Save a half cup of the cold broth to make your slurry (if it’s not cold it will lump up).

Once the chicken came out I saved the butter-chicken juice from the bag, laid the chicken out on a cookie sheet, brushed it with the juice and fired under the broiler for a short time — then finished it off with the kitchen torch. Tasted the juice and it was very rich, yummy, buttery so I stirred it into the sauce and it made it even better than it was.

The mash was a standard semi-lumpy mix of potatoes, butter & heavy cream. Heat the butter & cream on the stove first so it doesn’t cool off the potatoes. Also, that was just the right amount starch, or, there was so much fat in the meal that it blunted any kind of blood glucose crash. We were all drinking wine and easily stayed up until 1am playing cards, nobody showing any signs of drowsiness.

Dinner for six. Huge hit, especially the sauce. I’m gonna have to start bottling some of my concoctions…

1. Gerry on March 28, 2010 at 12:00

Just making a chickenstock, and my dinners taste nice , but got one or two tips from your meal,thanks, respect. Potatostarch never seen it, does it come in a packet or just the juice from the potatoes?

• Richard Nikoley on March 28, 2010 at 12:19

Gerry, you can get it in the upscale markets where they have the almond flour, coconut and other exotic flours like tapioca (another thickening agent you can use). It’s actually a white, dry flour and I find it excellent for thickening. Doesn’t take very much at all, especially if you like your sauces saucy and not like wallpaper paste.

2. Jan on March 28, 2010 at 14:27

Ok, dude, you’re going to have to open a restaurant. I see you’re in the Campbell area, so I’ll be a customer!

3. Ned Kock on March 28, 2010 at 16:07

Richard, the food looks good, but what about some heavy theorizing to spoil your Sunday:

And, Kurt, if you are reading this: I guess you wuz royt eh! Evil particles those chylomicrons.

• Richard Nikoley on March 28, 2010 at 16:23

I can always count on you, Ned. 🙂

Seriously, you always remain skeptical and quesioning. While in my worst moments I might want to burn your heretical ass at the stake — totally kidding, you know — in my best which is most of the time I hope, I want you to keep it up.

• Ned Kock on March 29, 2010 at 05:51

Thankfully the Inquisition is no more.

By the way, I neglected to add an important reference to that post:

Deth, R. & Disis, M. (1999, Feb 31). The origin of killer lipids: A evolutionary-theological perspective. The Lipid Review, 123(7), 77-66.

4. Mallory on March 30, 2010 at 06:58

bottling them and sending them to me oh my goodness that gravy sauce looks divine! i attempted a gravy sauce last night. i took the juice and fat from a crockpot roast and added some mashed rutabaga to thicvken and butter and salt/pepper… turned out sorta good but im a rookie at this still. the meat in the crock pot however… met.in.my.mouth. yummmmm

one question… do you puree any sauces? and if so what do you use for it? i dont know what kicthen “tool” would be used

• Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2010 at 08:59

Try letting it separate, skim off most of the fat. Get the juice on the stove, reducing and add some butter, perhaps a bit of red wine — but not too much and make sure to boil off the alcohol. Let it reduce to concentrate the flavor. Then when concentrated, add in a bit of the beef fat at a time to taste. Also season w salt & pepper. When it tastes right, thicken with some potato or tapioca flour in a slurry (good to have cold beef & chicken stock around for this purpose. I hate using water.

5. Mallory on March 30, 2010 at 10:50

ahhhhh mkay gotcha thanks so much yummy!