Criticisms of Free the Animal. Want to Chime In?

Email in this morning from reader Kirsten. I replied, indicating I thought her criticisms had some justification and wanted to know what others think.

I’ve been reading your blog for about as long as you’ve been a paleo writer–came to it from Art, I think–and I love your recipe tips and general enthusiasm. You’re one of my regular reads.

But I have to ask: What’s with the bombast and righteous anger lately? Where’s the paleo playfulness? I thought it was the vegans who were supposed to be angry!

Really, who cares if some people think differently? Isn’t that part of the fun–that we’ve lucked into something that works better and makes us healthier than all the professional nutritional advice out there? Let them eat cake/wheat/canola oil! Who cares? You can’t save the whole world.

In my humble opinion, we don’t need paleo fundamentalists–we need paleo joyfulists (or whatever). Who needs the extra stress of trying to force people "out there" to conform to something we know works? Isn’t that the kind of chronic stress the paleo lifestyle is designed to avoid? Why spend a minute of your time caring? Focus your attention on your family, your workout, your hobbies, your cooking. Go look at the mountains, or play, or listen to some good music, and just let all that other stuff go. You’ll still be just as interesting if you’re not fighting.

(Not that you asked for my advice. I know it’s worth about what you paid for it.)

BTW, I like the parenthetical remark. Why? Simply because I put a lot into this (way more than apparent from posts alone, really), it’s my deal, and criticisms are something I pay attention to when offered properly, such as this.

Before I leave it to you guys to hash out in comments and I hope it gets lively, here’s my perspective. While I want to please as many people as possible as much of the time as I can, it’s a losing strategy today. I think you’ve got to find what’s fun, and I just like exposing stupid. I like exposing murderers. I like exposing maimers. Especially, I like exposing cloistered "authorities," who due some credential or degree get to vomit their conventional "wisdom" to whores in media (redundancy alert!) who lap it up like starved dogs.

The second thing that weighs on my mind is that I simply cannot do "10 things to…." I can’t. I can not. "I’d rather stick needles in my eyes," to reference Jack Nicholson from Terms of Endearment. Plus, there are bloggers who are really, really good at that and the foregoing is not a criticism at all. I read those things. I get value and you should be a part of it too. It’s just not me.

For better or worse.

1. Patrik on March 3, 2010 at 15:23

Richard,

Speaking for myself, I find your candor and sincerity refreshing, your alleged “anger” doesn’t bother me in the least. Fact is, the world isn’t rainbows, unicorns and sunshine all the time.

Keep on keepin’ on.

2. Deb on March 3, 2010 at 14:14

I like Kirsten’s “paleo joyfulists” phrase … and I also agree with a lot of what she says. She makes a good point about not minding if other people think differently. But from what I see, Richard, you go after, not the people who just think differently, but those who are disseminating incorrect, harmful information. And there are tons of targets out there.

Like Kirsten, I read FTA regularly, because you’re a refreshing, no-BS voice in the paleo world.

That said, yeah, I think the tide has gotten a bit high lately. Return with me to the ’70s and the days when women who were tired of second-class status and wanted things to change right now were accused of being angry and humorless. Despite the fact that men are less likely to take criticisms like that to heart, it is something to consider when you want to win people over to your side. Our side.

But I figure this isn’t a permanent trend. I mean, you still give us great recipes and photos — not a lot of bombast there. And you’d probably get bored with constant, unrelenting anger anyhow.

Like your other readers, I really appreciate the time you put in that we don’t even know about. And I really value that you not only have an open mind about fitness, but about folks who want to comment here. You set a really good example that way.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 14:23

Here’s what I’ve found that I’m pretty damn sure about: get my anger and rage out in the posts, recover in the comments.

Of all the shit I’ve tossed, the stuff I regret the most is in comments and I don’t want to do that anymore. Posts are general. Comments are personal.

3. djinn on March 3, 2010 at 14:26

To paraphrase jerome in a recent comment, (I’m too lazy to go look it up and quote him). Ridiculing
    and exposing fools is not the only way to advance the paleo message; but it’s one way. If it’s what you’re best at, then you are doing your best.

A broad spectrum of styles is probably good in the paleo-blog community. I happen to think we should have one like you. (two might be overkill)

4. Natalie on March 3, 2010 at 14:26

I have noticed your really angry, sarcastic tone of late, but because I’m not in that angry place myself, I’ve just been kind of cheerily rolling my eyes, going ‘That’s Richard!” and moving on. I personally like your bile, but when it’s well thought-out, expressed well and it means something. Not when it’s just throwing mean names around. I personally would love to see a return of your positive, playful posts interspersed with some ofyour trademarked pith. Not that I think you’re doing it wrong now. Mix it up a little, that’s my two euro cents.

5. Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 14:32

“That’s Richard!”

Clearly, Natalie, you’d get along well with my family.

• Natalie on March 3, 2010 at 15:37

Ha! They must have learned early on that it’s best to let Richard rage? 🙂

6. JUPITER BOONE on March 3, 2010 at 14:34

I sleep well at night knowing that everytime a CW moron pops his head up with more bullshit that FTA is there to give it a good hard smack in the face. There are many paleobloggers out there that post on all the good things ( not that you don’t Richard ) but we need them all, positive and negitive. Keep up the good work and don’t stop calling out all the idiots that are wrong.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 14:39

When I was a political blogger, I was fond of channeling Billy Beck (Google) in that “I love it when a commie gets it in the teeth” (dem or rep commies – not a lot of difference.

Now, I love it whet nutritionists, dietitians and white coats in general get it in the teeth.

What I didn’t write in the post but might should have is that we’re fighting for lives, here. So, in some respect, I see my mission as a bit different. And I go about it in the way I do.

• Jamie on March 4, 2010 at 00:54

Hey!! Not all nutritionists need it in the teeth Richard! Just most!

I agree with a couple of the sentiments expressed here already. I like to read across a broad range of paleo bloggers & I get value from each & every one of you. Mark Sisson is the easy going fun guy that everyone loves. Stephan Guyenet is the nerdy guy that everyone turns to to get the good oil on a topic. And Richard Nikoley is the grumpy old guy that gives everyone a good kicking when they deserve it! And I like that about you. No need to change.

I’ve just started my own blog this week & have listed many of you as my inspiration. This whole blogging gig is way harder than I’d think, so mucho respect to you & the others for sharing a bit of yourself – warts and all.

7. Amy on March 3, 2010 at 14:40

I don’t know, I get very frustrated when people tell me to just relax, to not let something bother me. If something bothers me enough to freak out, it’s because I’m very passionate about it. I could go my whole life not caring enough about anything to get worked up over it, and sure, maybe it would be better for my health. But a life without passion is not the life for me.

I think some people are natural ragers and others are naturally mellow. Naturally mellow people look at a natural rager and are concerned. They think we must be terribly stressed and unhappy because that’s how it looks to them. They don’t realize that ragers LIKE raging, it makes them happy.

So keep raging! I can tell it makes you happy. And I’m shaking my fist in the air with you.

• JUPITER BOONE on March 3, 2010 at 14:47

I to have been known to “go off” as my wife puts when i try to tell people that this is a healthy way to live and they refuse to beleive me and tell me this is just a fad diet that will pass

8. Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 14:47

“But a life without passion is not the life for me”

Me either. I adore love & hate. It’s two sides of the same passionate coin. Indifference? Now that’s different.

As to your second para, I have long believed that a person’s natural facial expressions can be deceptive. I have a decided natural frown, even if I’m totally happy inside. Others have a natural smile and might be on the verge of suicide.

But you’re right. I’m generally happy with the blogging. Sometimes I get up in the morning and think less of last afternoon’s blog than I thought at the time. But I usually just live with it. Second guessing yourself at every turn can be worse than anything.

• Deb on March 4, 2010 at 08:33

“As to your second para, I have long believed that a person’s natural facial expressions can be deceptive. I have a decided natural frown, even if I’m totally happy inside.”

Totally agree. My face does that, too. We can’t all be porpoises.

9. Suzan on March 3, 2010 at 14:50

Well, I think we’re all adults and are free to do what we want, at least for now. I like this blog a lot. I’ve had a complaint or two, and I voiced it once. But it’s your blog. Do what you want.

Here are my thoughts, FWIW:

Rage with class, and don’t stoop to the level of some on the other side who resort to personal attacks and outright deception. You have to remember that Americans have literally been brainwashed by the media and public policy for at least 30 years. Seriously brainwashed. That’s a lot of damage to undo, and it will take time and patience, whether we like it or not. Meanwhile people are dying from this ignorance, I know…makes me mad, too.

I understand how sheeple ignorance triggers righteous rage. We had to kill our TV, and end friendships because of it. A little righteous anger is good for the soul, a lot might not help the cause in the long run. I guess balance is the key, something that the Pollyanna sheeple or the fear mongers don’t possess. Something to think about.

10. Nathaniel on March 3, 2010 at 14:54

Personally, I like your style, Richard. I’ll just repeat what I commented yesterday, since it is so eerily appropriate to this post.

Every community needs a fiery, charismatic everyman, who wears his heart on his sleeve, to rally behind. And for the paleo community, I think that is you. Keep sticking it to all the ignorant fools.

• C. August on March 5, 2010 at 08:57

Hear, hear!

Just like I love reading Billy Beck when he kicks a rotter in the teeth, I appreciate your well-placed rage. Keep up the good work.

11. Organic Gabe on March 3, 2010 at 14:57

I think your posts are fine the way they are, really. There is nothing wrong with exposing the stupid …

12. Secret Caveman on March 3, 2010 at 14:57

I enjoy your blog. But, sometimes I’m afraid that our way of life will catch on with the masses. The problem is, we can’t feed the planet on Paleo right now. All the natural forests and wildlife have been destroyed by clear-cutting grain pushers. If everyone woke up tomorrow, we would be in trouble and only the rich could afford our diet. Let’s not rock the boat; let them eat their cake. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 15:56

Secret: Read The Vegetarian Myth. From that and other things I suspect that if current cropland were turned back to grazing land with millions of ruminants (cattle, sheep, buffalo, elk, deer, and so on) restoring topsoil we’d find a way. And plus, we might relearn how to use every centimeter of the animal.

• Heather Lackey on March 3, 2010 at 19:55

I do have faith in the cleverness of our species to solve problems and overcome the seemingly impossible. We have a bit of history of it.

13. Alex on March 3, 2010 at 15:01

I do think you tend to waste a lot of time and energy on idiots who really aren’t worthy of that kind of attention, especially T. Colonic Shitbag over on Amazon. But, it’s your life, your site, your blog.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 15:57

“I do think you tend to waste a lot of time and energy on idiots who really aren’t worthy of that kind of attention….”

No shit. You’re right about that.

• Matt on March 4, 2010 at 04:38

My first thought was this amazon thing was dumb. Then, I read the entire discussion. Not only is T. Colonic Shitbag completely disseminated there is a wealth of good info. I firmly believe in winning as much as you can. The benefits of fighting hard are sometimes not apparent to the fighter. I think if you brought the same intensity to someone at the grocery store, Kirsten would be exactly right. If you give advice to a limitless audience on the internet you are opening up yourself to criticism. Kinda like standing on a soap box preaching. So I don’t feel sorry for a people giving advise that have trouble supporting their own arguments. Maybe they need to reflect more and do some reading. That is one thing I enjoy reading about on this blog. Richard you have shown yourself to be a person who reflects on and thrives to learn. So be who you be.

14. Nathaniel on March 3, 2010 at 15:05

Don’t forget, entertainment has its place, too. I’m sure that is a primal principle. I enjoy reading Richard bash on T. Colin Campbell and Elaine Magee. It is entertaining, if nothing else.

15. Dave on March 3, 2010 at 15:08

Well, personally I’d like to see you return to return to libertarian blogging. Funny, though, that the type of bile that makes you you is expected in the political world and barely even turns anyone’s head (except to score cheap points by painting the originator of said bile as a bigot of one form or another), while when applied to a subject that kills as many people as most wars it gets all sort of underwear bunched up.

16. Dave Mc on March 3, 2010 at 15:12

@Richard

“What I didn’t write in the post but might should have is that we’re fighting for lives, here.”

Goddamn right. Anyone who doesn’t get angry isn’t paying attention, or hasn’t seen someone they love deteriorate following ‘expert’ advice.

Keep it up, Richard. I don’t think there is anything ‘fundamentalist’ about giving morons in positions of authority a richly deserved kick in the teeth for the shit they spew.

And more f-bombs, please.

Dave

17. Nathaniel on March 3, 2010 at 15:14

Good observation, Dave.

Personally, it seems to me that the paleo/primal world is mostly led by technical-speaking scientist/doctor academic types, or somewhat image-conscious fitness guru types.

I definitely think there’s room for one person to be crude and outspoken, opinionated and blunt.

Richard has great personal charisma and I think that is evidenced by the number of people that comment here.

Richard, don’t change.

18. 1. N-KB3 on March 3, 2010 at 15:24

Dude, keep it up. I need a good rant every now and then. It keeps ME motivated.

You can only be yourself and if we don’t like it sometimes, we can tune in another blogger.

CJ

19. Christoph Dollis on March 3, 2010 at 15:36

You’re certainly prolific.

My favourite thing is the recipes, and the vitriol.

If I had a suggestion, and more for the benefit of your female readership than for me, it’s to keep making strong devastating criticism where appropriate, with less name-calling. It may feel good and it adds little, and alienates more than a few who are on your side, plus makes it easier for defenders of the person you’re criticizing to dismiss you.

So less calling people [redacted] idiots†, and more showing how they are [redacted] idiots and letting us draw our own conclusions.

† For what it’s worth, I haven’t excelled at doing this personally. If you make it work, Richard, let me know how.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 16:06

I get it, Christoph and in fact that’s mostly my druthers most of the time.

But aren’t there a lot already doing that? I can go to any number of blogs and fill in the blanks. But this is about the only place you can come I’m aware of where I fill in the blanks.

But maybe it’s too much?

• Suzan on March 3, 2010 at 16:27

You have an established and distinct voice in the Paleo world. Criticize, rage at, and tear apart their opinions/findings/conclusions/message as passionately as you wish, but attacking the person themselves is getting down on a level that might someday be difficult to rise above.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 17:14

Suzan:

Playing the devil, per my casper-the-friendly-ghost tatoo, isn’t that kinda what everyone does?

See the only real reason I do this is Google. Ya think these egotistical morons who get called upon over and over to comment don’t google themselves or have google alerts? I do, so I know how damned efficient it is.

I sleep better knowing they’re getting up to a really bad day. I’m mostly concerned about making it real enough that the vitriol can’t just be dismissed out of hand. Perhaps I should alwasy take care to give links and or other references?

But like a dear friend of mine always says, which I’m only applying to my targets: “I’m not happy until you’re not happy.”

• Suzan on March 3, 2010 at 17:49

Hey, I say if you’re happy, we’re happy.

• Suzan on March 3, 2010 at 17:52

I meant to add that, yes, a lot of people do this but you still have your own unique voice. I don’t think you should stop being angry and frustrarted over the sheeple, but I just think that name-calling can come back at bite you in the arse eventually. I worked on a Prez campaign a couple of years ago (not O or McLame) and I saw it happen more than once to very smart, dedicated people.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 17:53

You know I don’t mean you.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 18:02

Ah.

Well, I’d count it an honor to have one of those fuckers come after me. I spend an average of 250k per year on legal fees, just to do business. Can’t even begin to explain. I’m a weird one. I pick fights with attorneys general for sport. Luckily, I can keep the money coming in sufficient to fight. (unrelated to what follows, which costs nothing).

I’ve been threatened with lawsuits well over 100 times. I’ve been actually sued in real court (not small claims) maybe a couple of times, going all the way to trail. Won one, lost one I was prepared to lose

Careful of living your life in fear. That’s just what they want. My standard first response to a treat or challenge is a big black marker FUCK YOU right on their letter, faxed back. I’ve done that more than I can count, and you’ll love yourself for the doing. I LOVE that. It works, folks. Don’t live in fear. You’ll be surprised how much that parasites will avoid the fearless.

• Suzan on March 3, 2010 at 20:09

Yes, I knew you weren’t referring to me.
      Fear is a great motivator. People shouldn’t succumb to it.

• djinn on March 4, 2010 at 07:56

Damn right! To see the same effect on a smaller scale, stop by PaNu and search on
      T. Colin Campbell. (we may be a little less emphatic, but ve haff our vays, also.)

• Christoph Dollis on March 3, 2010 at 17:57

“But maybe too much?”

I think it depends what your reader is looking for.

For a politics of nutrition blog, it’s awesome.

For people who love righteous confrontation for those leading people astray to their deaths, it’s wonderful.

For those who are looking for recipes and personal health tips on a genuinely semi-paleo basis, it’s fun, a little distracting, and more time-consuming.

One thing I’ll note is that in any group discussion, there are different personalities involved. Those that are more strident and pure in delivery offend even some on their own side, but they also normalize a lot of the persuasive arguments that would otherwise seem extreme to someone who hasn’t formed an opinion and is trying to.

In other words your approach — added to the milieu — helps move the primal ball down the field.

So don’t stop on my account. Secret Caveman may feel differently.

My answer to him is, “Just get rich then.”

20. Justin Wehr on March 3, 2010 at 16:29

I prefer you remain critical of veganism (or at least of nutritionists) because I happen to be mostly vegan myself and subscribe to your blog only because I recognize the confusion in nutrition and like to hear dissenting opinions. Who cares if you come of as mean or disrespectful because it shows you have a strong opinion, and people gravitate to strong opinions, especially with a subject as murky as nutrition.

21. Chaohinon on March 3, 2010 at 16:52

I actually find the LACK of anger most people show towards social problems to be really disturbing. I’m absolutely at my wits end with seeing people shrug off police brutality, governmental regulations that create artificial scarcity and poverty, empire building, sexual discrimination, etc. These things should absolutely be painful and infuriating to anyone with a healthy mind.

As Bakunin said, “To revolt is a natural tendency of life. Even a worm turns against the foot that crushes it. In general, the vitality and relative dignity of an animal can be measured by the intensity of its instinct to revolt.”

So it seems to me that anger towards injustice and lies can only be healthy, blood pressure notwithstanding. This kind of rage is both a sign of personal dignity as well as compassion for others caught up in the mess.

A woman who doesn’t defend her children from an abusive stepfather cannot be said to have their best interests in mind, for example. Whereas if she were to clock him over the head with a vase, the people chiding her for “not being more tactful” would be the ones who look like fools.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 17:31

Chaohinon:

The reference to a commie notwithstanding (look, I get the rebellion & outrage, but trying to make ants & bees out of us is just stupid), I did get a kick out of what I saw on your blog, Gamma Central.

“The name comes from an old behavioral experiment Michael told us about. There were scientists experimenting with rats, to verify their behavioral models. They expected the usual “alpha” and “beta” groupings – the beta rats being basically followers, taking the leftovers from the alpha rats. The alphas establishing territories, taking the choicest mates, and generally lording it over the betas. But then they found something else: there were rats that established territories and picked the best mates, but did not attempt to dominate the betas. They called them gammas. So, that’s why we call our system Gamma Central; it’s an interaction center for Gamma humans. Gammas are not content to be followers and work to get the best out of life. But they have no desire to rule others.”

I’m an anarchist and that’s exactly how I roll. I’ll do my damnedest, but I’ll be dammed if I’m going to put a gun to anyone’s head. But that extends, principally. It’s like an anonymous commenter wrote many years ago on USENET that I’ve never forgotten:

“Is your desire to help people great enough to actually help them, or only so great as to attempt to force others to help them.”

And thus, I never darken the door of a voting booth, never will. But I help where I can, including the efforts I put into this blog.

• Michael on March 3, 2010 at 22:35

Whoa!!!

That belongs in the hall of fame of quotes. Seriously. Into my viral sig tomorrow though I fear the meaning will pass over the head of most folks.

• Heather Lackey on March 3, 2010 at 20:36

> I actually find the LACK of anger most people show towards social problems to be really disturbing

Yes. I’m kind of disturbed by the flip side of that coin, too, where people are momentarily indignant, long enough to copy and paste a chain Facebook status message (“93% won’t do it. Will you?”), at which point they can feel good that they’ve done some small thing to “help the cause.” Or online petitions–another way to do “something” by doing all but nothing. Carbon offsets. Awareness ribbons. Buying pink shit in October. Cheap and easy feel-good bullshit. Writing a blog post in your own words to express ideas and opinions you’ve processed in your own fucking head–if nothing else, that’s going to do a lot more for someone’s psyche than copy/paste bullshit and shoving mass-manufactured rubber “cause” bracelets on their wrists.

So keep on blasting away at the idiots and assholes, Richard. It’s good to be around people who aren’t going to stand for it.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 12:06

“Yes. I’m kind of disturbed by the flip side of that coin, too, where people are momentarily indignant, long enough to copy and paste a chain Facebook status message (”93% won’t do it. Will you?”), at which point they can feel good that they’ve done some small thing to “help the cause.” Or online petitions–another way to do “something” by doing all but nothing. Carbon offsets. Awareness ribbons. Buying pink shit in October. Cheap and easy feel-good bullshit. Writing a blog post in your own words to express ideas and opinions you’ve processed in your own fucking head–if nothing else, that’s going to do a lot more for someone’s psyche than copy/paste bullshit and shoving mass-manufactured rubber “cause” bracelets on their wrists.”

Heather, no wonder you blog. Excellent rant there. And I agree. I absolutely LOATH and DETEST all that shit you’re referring to. When crap like that hits my inbox, instantly deleted. I ignore all “join the cause” requests I get on Facebook.

22. Skyler Tanner on March 3, 2010 at 17:04

Richard,

I’d like you to be more pretty. Get to work on that. 😉

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 17:20

Skyler:

Is the word ‘gaytard’ au courant chez Lyle? 🙂

• Patrick N. on March 3, 2010 at 17:52

C’est vrai que ‘gaytard’ sonnerait bien sur le site de Lyle. C’est en plein son genre. 🙂

Patrick

• Skyler Tanner on March 3, 2010 at 19:01

You know the typical forum post right after such a comment:

“No homo.”

Such is life on the Internet.

23. Frank on March 3, 2010 at 17:30

I’m a big fan of “keeping it real”. Do you really want to be the “posterboy of paleo”? In this, the age of political correctness and the pussification of America I personally find your blog a breath of fresh air. Mainly because I myself have the same temperament towards people that are dumb/wrong/ignorant/need things sugar-coated. I say stay the course. If saying fuck or being a cock makes people become vegans than fuck ’em. More meat for the rest of us.

/rant

24. mehitabel on March 3, 2010 at 17:32

I’m not a fan of f-bombs, but there are so few words that we all understand.

I’m a fan and reader of Richard’s and welcome the viciousness.
    It just seems toning down passion is not the way to good art or good work or any kind.

The initial post states “Really, who cares if some people think differently?”
    People’s lives are compromised and shortened because they are listening to The Doctors, Dr. Oz, Biggest Loser, AHA, ADA, et. al. spouting “low-fat, whole grain” mantras. All things in moderation–heart-healthy margarine on your low-fat whole grain bagel. More fruit and veggies–more juicy, sweet, sugary apples, pears, grapes, melons–get your healthy fruit and starch sugars. Want some more in half an hour–have some!–you need five servings a day–sweet fruit sugar and comforting starches. Just steer clear of that saturated fat.

And we’ll all pick up that multi-trillion dollar medical tab.

Parts of our society are making big money keeping people sick.

It is not hyperbole to say we are the fucking resistance.

• Aaron Curl on March 3, 2010 at 19:00

“And we’ll all pick up that multi-trillion dollar medical tab.

Parts of our society are making big money keeping people sick.

It is not hyperbole to say we are the fucking resistance.”

AWESOME!…all I can say

25. troglo on March 3, 2010 at 17:40

Don’t change. Then again, i’m here mostly for the food porn.

Yeah – sometimes I think that we’re mostly converts hanging here (I’m not sure of that?) and that there’s less of a need to point out the obvious (attacking mainstream advice and such) here than in your other missionary ventures such as Amazon’s forums and all that…

Still you gotta keep the rock in there, I’m not sure I know anyone else in the paleosphere (apart from Dr. Harris, maybe) who tells it like it is with a knife between the teeth.

• Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 17:46

“sometimes I think that we’re mostly converts hanging here (I’m not sure of that?) and that there’s less of a need to point out the obvious (attacking mainstream advice and such) here than in your other missionary ventures such as Amazon’s forums and all that…”

Good perception, and always on my mind.

26. Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2010 at 17:43

“t just seems toning down passion….”

I get that. The one thing I do get. If I lose passion, this whole thing goes away. My fault, but shit spewing is a passion.

“Parts of our society are making big money keeping people sick.”

That’s the truth. THE. TRUTH. Now, how friendly ought I be about that? I’m fond of telling my close personal family and friends that in an old, rational society, people like that would just disappear.

And no important questions would be asked.

27. Angry Monkey on March 3, 2010 at 17:53

A bit ironic that you get an email from someone saying “who cares if some people think differently” and then you’re told how you should behave, what we need and what we don’t need.

In my humble opinion, people should practice what they preach.

28. Robert Muir on March 3, 2010 at 17:57

Follow your passion and be true to your inner genius. Period. If you haven’t checked out Gary Vaynerchuck’s new book, do so. Despite your “admitted” mistakes, (I think because of them), you’re doing everything right!!!

While I’m not crazy about ad hominems, it would take a saint to avoid them with some of these clowns.

29. Aaron Curl on March 3, 2010 at 19:09

I don’t know what keeps you going. I have only been into paleo about 8 months and am getting tired of telling people Im not going to have a heart attack because of all the saturated fat and no, I don’t need 2 plates of pasta everyday so I have energy to run. I’m glad you’re here though, because on the days I get real sick and tired of CW I come here and you get me all fired up again….Thanks!

30. Allison on March 3, 2010 at 19:22

I agree with most sides here: we should be joyful, but we should also be righteous and preach the religion of paleo/low-carb because it is the right thing to do. I agree that there is no grey here: it’s black (sugar/refined wheat/random carbs that mess (want to use a stronger verb, but choosing to be polite here) with insulin and metabolism OR white none of that stuff (see previous parenthetical) which does not. I have become an evangelist for this lifestyle and it has literally changed my life. My head is more clear, I don’t feel tired all the time, I don’t get those random carb crashes–I just feel better overall. And that’s only after a couple of months. And, the couple of times I’ve slipped and had a lot of carbs, well, let’s just say that I paid a price that I’m not ready to duplicate over and over.

I think it’s great that you are so passionate and am grateful that you are out there debunking what passes for “nutrition” advice out there. You are providing an incredible service and, I believe that in time, we will be proven on the right side of the low far vs. low carb nutrition battle. And, it is a battle. It’s practically like the Crusades.

31. Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 10:34

I do have a question for Richard.

Calling someone a fucking imbecile, etc., and criticizing them strongly in order to make them look like the fool they may well be is one thing.

Individual readers may disagree about how tasteful that is, however it certainly isn’t immoral if we’re just expressing our opinion strongly with the understanding the other person is free to do the same.

• James on March 4, 2010 at 10:38

What if someone was making their living by shooting them from rooftops? Does your empathy not reach anywhere beyond just those in white lab coats who are dishing out disinformation that is KILLING PEOPLE for profit?

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 10:53

Yes, James, obviously.

I don’t call for anyone to get a disease and die. Can you not see how doing so is unhelpful in reaching out to the general public, and for that matter, not turning off people who agree with the logic behind natural-living as humans evolved?

Further, that it is immoral for a human being to wish others painful death?

Dean Ornish, M.D., may well be mistaken. I think he is. (Yet he advocates “real food” at least, as oppose to candy bars and Slurpees.) And his mistakes, like any doctors, may have negative consequences on people’s health and survival.

But must we overlook those calling for him to suffer harm because of his mistakes? Or are you seriously advocating that Dean Ornish is knowingly killing his patients so he can make a few extra bucks selling his books?

Do you actually believe that? If so — do you expect to convince any reasonable member of the public of that?

• James on March 4, 2010 at 10:59

Well, yes, and yes.

• James on March 4, 2010 at 11:00

…and yes and yes.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 11:05

I think you’re fooling yourself, and wrong, but if you actually believe that then I can understand your position.

For myself, I understand that the vast majority of people, including medical doctors, disagree with my beliefs on diet because — while they’re informed by millions of years of human evolution — the idea is new to most people and to medical science, whereas the competing ideas are popular.

So I will not call for misguided doctors’ painful deaths and I will criticize those who do.

• James on March 4, 2010 at 11:15

Well, I think your wrong, not so sure if your fooling yourself.
      Do you really think it’s an innocent mistake that the FDA doesn’t allow manufacturers to list starch on the nutrition label, itemized right beside sugar and fiber? Read that again….the FDA DOES NOT ALLOW manufactures to put the word “starch” anywhere within the borders of that nutrition label. I see, this hell-hole of a healthcare crisis couldn’t have been purposefully engineered because there are just too many coincidences. Got it.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 11:27

I don’t think Ornish if willfully, purposefully killing people for profit.

I don’t think he cares, because he lives in a cloistered, protected world where he can largely escape the consequences of his general malpractice. In a rational world where people met out their own justice Ornish wouldn’t dare advocate what he’s advocating.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 11:22

“Can we agree that actually wishing our “dietary opponents” for lack of a better term come down with fatal diseases is beyond the pale and commenters should refrain from expressing such thoughts here?”

Absolutely not. It’s all part of the fun & profit.

Sorry, I’m just not squeamish about that sort of thing and I have a huge streak of Blood Lust in me. I just direct it properly.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 13:12

It seems to me the point of a health writer is health, not wishing others death and illness, even if they’re misguided.

I can’t imagine in a million years someone like Gary Taubes hoping — and publicly wishing — their critics get ill and die, or get chewed up by a carnivore.

George Washington’s doctors bled him to death. They were ignorant, perhaps stupid. They committed malpractice. But they weren’t intentionally so, and that’s an important difference.

I’m sure Washington’s character was such that he wouldn’t have wished them harm.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 13:17

“I can’t imagine in a million years someone like Gary Taubes hoping….”

In fear of stating the obvious, I’m not Gary Taubes. I could wish to be a reincarnated George Carlin, however.

“Blood lust should be directed to those who are trying to harm one or others: al Qaeda, murderers, burglars, etc.”

See, I just don’t give a shit, Christoph. I really, really don’t. Fuck ’em, and may they die a thousand deaths.

“Not doctors who are mistaken, yet in the throes of conventional wisdom which has not yet turned.”

Well I’m not out there wishing torture on _everyone_. Being pelted publicly with rotten tomatoes and or bullshit pies? Yea, at minimum.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 14:08

“I could wish to be a reincarnated George Carlin, however.”

Amen to that.

32. James on March 3, 2010 at 19:43

The anger is justified because the grain/industry cartel is using misplaced public trust to push horrible lies onto unsuspecting lemmings who are slowly killing themselves by the millions by eating an unnatural diet, creating a healthcare crisis that threatens to bring about a socialized medicine that mandates we all consume the poison grains and pharmaceuticals.

• Aaron Curl on March 3, 2010 at 19:57

Well said James! I truly enjoy this blog and all the wise readers!

• Heather Lackey on March 3, 2010 at 20:49

That’s it in a nutshell–well put!

33. James on March 3, 2010 at 19:44

“grain/pharma cartel”

34. Karl on March 3, 2010 at 20:41

It really all depends on how you want to grow your audience. Agnostic recently had a great post about this issue and Adam Smith’s Theory of Moral Sentiments- basically we get less visibly angry when bystanders know less about the situation because their first thought seeing a stranger yelling at the top of his lungs is that it makes them uncomfortable and that he’s nuts. If they know the whole case or the person maybe they can sympathize with the yeller and then the yelling won’t both them and they may even agree.

It’s up to you whether you want your readers to have to learn more about you and paleo to become comfortable with the blog. I agree with virtually all of your curse laden posts and I know where you’re coming from, so no problem here and I’m a big fan. On the other hand if you want to be appealing to anybody who happens to stop by, then you need to tone it down. Despite you knowing as much as anybody out there about nutrition and exercise, I wouldn’t send a newbie here first since that type of display will strike most people who don’t know the background as disproportionate. They’ll just turn off without giving you a chance.

No right or wrong there really, it’s just a matter of how people react to emotional displays. It’s really up to you about whether you see this site as learning and entertainment for the already committed or a way to introduce SAD eaters to a new way of life. It’s your site and as you said they’re lots of people doing the friendly intro thing right now. For what we pay for this :), you ought to keep it as something you enjoy.

Selfishly I would like to see your site be more beginner friendly, but that’s just because you do such a great job with presenting new information and it would be more of a one stop shop without the pit bull posts. It’s a great blog whichever way you go so I’m not worried about how you decide.

That post by the way: http://akinokure.blogspot.com/2010/02/why-online-comments-are-negative-and.html

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 12:07

Super well reasoned food for though, Karl. Thanks.

35. JLB on March 3, 2010 at 21:26

I vote to let the diplomats be diplomats and the warriors make war.

• Steve Cooksey on March 4, 2010 at 08:38

EGGZactly JLB… I agree.

• jerome on March 4, 2010 at 11:36

Perfect, JLB. True aphorism quality.

36. William on March 3, 2010 at 22:59

Bombast and righteous anger? Like Richard, I am a former Navy man who doesn’t flinch an inch when I hear an impassioned argument against the so-called “experts. In addition, having been raised by a former Marine who happens to be an atheist, and another parent who was agnostic, I pay no attention to sanctimonious religious types, nor do I succumb to the peril of our age, political correctness. So why would I express anger? Because for decades, I, like so many of us of the paleo set were duped by social engineers. During those decades, I could not for the life of me figure out why I felt like shit all the time. No matter how hard I exercised, or how much my diet lined up in accord to the SEE’s (Social Engineering Experts) my weight inched in the opposite direction of desire. My joints hurt, my heart raced. I felt anxious, I felt depressed. Shortness of breath was “normal.” How could this be? After all, my diet and exercise program(s) matched what was known as common knowledge for a healthy life. To put it bluntly, we were all fucked over! No, I have no problem reading Richard’s “give the sons of bitches hell” attitude.

Finding this blog has taken me back to my youth, quite literally. The plan was simple: Eat a diet higher fat, and moderate protein diet, and run from carbohydrates like there is no tomorrow. Throw in some high intensity training a couple of times a week and voila(!) a transformation for the better takes place. How simple can it be?

Kirsten sounds like a very nice lady, but if she is offended by Richard’s occasional polemic style, perhaps the more ,”boy next door type,” Mark Sisson would be more to her liking. Meanwhile, bombast and righteous anger works just fine and dandy for me.

37. Pam Maltzman on March 3, 2010 at 23:50

Personally, I don’t care if you ridicule people who deserve it (white coats who prescribe SAD, statins, etc.). What has gotten me upset a few times is when you have more or less ridiculed someone like me, who basically agrees with you.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 12:11

Yea Pam, You may not have caught it where I always said that the most regretful things I’ve written are going off on readers.

Posts, no usually because those are either general or directed at your Usual Suspects. So bu giving myself more freedom on the actual posts it’s way easier to keep it real and civil in the comments.

38. redcatbicycliste on March 3, 2010 at 23:52

Someone mentioned [in the comments above mine] that perhaps your use of “bad” words are putting women off.

I am a woman, and I do not find your “bad” language usage offensive.

I once heard a radio interview of Julie Andrews (you know, the actress/singer from the movies Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music), wherein she talked about her grandchildren’s discouragement of her using the word “fuck” so much. Can you believe it? Mary Poppins, Maria, using the word “fuck” in her day-to-day language. Now, if Julie Andrews has no problem with peppering her conversations with “fuck”–a woman, because of the roles she plays and that she is, supposedly, a prim-and-proper English woman–why the fuck should anyone give a fuck that Richard uses that word and like in his [paid for by him] blog.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 00:27

Julie Andrews seemed very naughty. Yes — I can imagine it.

And have, many times.

j/k

39. Britney Spears on March 4, 2010 at 00:48

In general, you’re awesome. You remind me a bit of steroid-guru Anthony Roberts in your scorched earth approach, which is refreshing and funny. Dunno if you’re an ENTJ but you seem to have a visceral ENTJish contempt for bullshit/mindless groupthink/stupidity and an appreciation for intelligence.

All the paleo/LC blogs are written by individuals with distinct personalities; I’m glad Sisson is Sisson, you are you, Jimmy Moore is Jimmy Moore, Michael Eades is Michael Eades, Ornish is a pasty grumpy sickly fuck who looks like he was nursed on a pickle…Ooops. I did it again.

• Don Wiss on March 4, 2010 at 04:43

When Ornish dies I hope he dies from one of the diseases of civilization that his diet causes.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 10:29

When the time comes I hope Dean Ornish dies as painlessly as possible. I cannot do not join you in hoping he comes down with a particular disease in order to make a point.

Likewise, I hope doctor Ornish isn’t wishing heart disease upon you. (I’m sure he isn’t.)

• Don Wiss on March 4, 2010 at 13:49

Well, not every disease of civilization is a long and painful death. With a heart attack he could be dead in five minutes. And by wishing he die this why, it can be construed that I don’t want him to die of an accident or be murdered. They could be a very painful ways to go.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 10:47

Don, I’m a big fan of your website. It’s an awesome compendium of information. I regret having to criticize your comment in as strong as terms as I did. Yet that was my reaction.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 11:19

I’d like to see him become food for a carnivore.

And, yes, I mean it. I have no problem in the world wishing pain, suffering, torture and death on those who deserve it.

Fuck ’em.

Now if Chubby Face (Ornish) just minded his own business I’d be happy to leave him to his chubby face diet.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 12:19

“Dunno if you’re an ENTJ”

Well I had to look it up, so I don’t know what that counts for… 🙂

• Duncan on March 4, 2010 at 18:39

“All the paleo/LC blogs are written by individuals with distinct personalities; I’m glad Sisson is Sisson, you are you, Jimmy Moore is Jimmy Moore, Michael Eades is Michael Eades,”

Yeah – Richard is the vinegar to the others’ EVOO and the douchebags called out here deserve a good dressing down.

Bill Hicks referred to himself as Chomsky with dick-jokes. Richard, you’re Devany with f-bombs. Keep up the good work.

Oh – and speaking of fucking funny:

“Ornish is a pasty grumpy sickly fuck who looks like he was nursed on a pickle…Ooops. I did it again.”

Top notch, Britney!

40. William on March 4, 2010 at 02:05

How do you solve a problem like Julie? How do you deal with a gal who says fuck all day long? Hahahahaha! 😉

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 10:47

I’m sure there’s a way.

41. jr on March 4, 2010 at 03:48

Why don’t we all hold hands and sing. Richard, can we get some AC/DC in the queue? how about “It’s a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll” from youtube. bagpipes and guitars on a flatbed truck, from back in the day. Put some balls in this shit. Still try your recipes and love it

42. Suzan on March 4, 2010 at 04:51

Look, I’m all for righteous anger and passion. That is a good thing. Raging against the system must be done. F-bombs are fine. Anger at the media and public policy is a good thing.

However, I think that there is one point that shouldn’t be missed in all of this. What is your purpose? What do you want out of this blog? Do you want to help people know the truth about food/eating? Do you want to rage against the system and have no regard for changing individuals?

These conventional wisdom folks have spent thousands, or owe thousands, on getting an education in health care that taught them erroneous, harmful nonsense at best, deadly bullshite at worst. Now they are out in the world spewing it. Why not attack their education, and what they are spewing, instead of calling them names? Many of us came from that low-fat/high-carb camp before we went Paleo. Were we all idiots, imbeciles, shiteheads? There are a lot of smart people here who were brainwashed and misinformed, but aren’t stupid. We simply were blind and had our eyes opened when we learned the truth. Would we have learned as much if the folks teaching us called us names all the time, instead of berating what we thought we knew to be true? I don’t know. I think that if I’d been belittled and berated personally, I wouldn’t have stuck around and learned so much.

I really don’t see how calling people names will help them learn the truth. Raging, expressing frustration in a colorful way, Fbombs etc., against what they say might.

Do you see the difference?

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 12:27

“Do you want to help people know the truth about food/eating? Do you want to rage against the system and have no regard for changing individuals?”

Yes. Yes. No.

“Many of us came from that low-fat/high-carb camp before we went Paleo. Were we all idiots, imbeciles, shiteheads?”

Well, I was. A particular fault, I suppose, is that I have zero sympathy for people’s poor widdow feewings when I’m simply holding them to the same standard as myself.

Shorter version: a fucking idiot is a fucking idiot. If you find that describes you as it described me (in diet, fitness, health, well being) then just get unfucked. Piuting is really unproductive. Plus, I don’t give a shit about it.

“I think that if I’d been belittled and berated personally, I wouldn’t have stuck around and learned so much.”

And that’s a fault you might ought want to examine because what you’re saying is that you’ll ignore reality if it doesn’t come to you on a silver platter or otherwise how you want it presented.

Reality just is. A is A. A is also fuckin’ A, whether you like it or not.

• Flying Burrito Nola on March 4, 2010 at 18:51

Had to weigh in too…A does equal A. Notwithstanding, Ayn Rand did get a couple’a things right. Great thread, great fraternity (and sorority). And to digress, Cristoph Dollis’s Julie Andrews comments cracked me up–yes, I must not think bad thoughts…I thought she was the hottie in “10” not Bo Derek (no offense to Ms. Derek).

43. Cynthia K. on March 4, 2010 at 06:21

I don’t mind the angry tone. On several occasions I’ve found myself getting what I call Vicarious Venting.

We are a minority and regardless of how peaceful or vitriolic we present the message, it is disregarded, ridiculed, and denied. The anger is not inappropriate to the situation in my opinion.

Thanks for all the work you put into these posts. It’s a great resource for us all and you give it freely. Go ahead and give it with whatever tone you choose!

44. jerome on March 4, 2010 at 08:12

Richard, I’m very impressed with the quality of the people who comment here.

You must be doing something right!

45. Steve Cooksey on March 4, 2010 at 08:14

Nothing against Kristen’s comment… BUT she does NOT daily deal with attempting to help people who are lied and deceived EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I received a message from a T2 Diabetic lady, … “my CDE is Harvard trained…. she said we need 100g of carbs for body functions”….

I SHIT YOU NOT!!! ………this is NOT ISOLATED…. as Richard points out… people are harming, maiming and KILLING innocent people with their advice.

I TOO love to “play” , joke and have fun…. BUT there is a time for that and a TIME TO CALL PEOPLE OUT for what they are…. charlatans, snake oil salesman.

Major Props Richard.

46. shannon on March 4, 2010 at 08:29

I agree with Kristin. This blog is very informative, but the level of insult hurled at people who happen to think differently is over the top. You don’t have to refer to their mouths as “pie holes,” for example. That’s just unnecessary.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 10:37

Far be it for me to criticize a lady who has the dreamiest names ever devised.

And your point is well taken.

However, in the specific example you gave, “pie holes”, don’t you think that’s actually quite humorous due to the spot-on accurate pun?

• shannon on March 4, 2010 at 11:40

Glad you like my names. They are family names.

What’s the pun in “pie hole”? I guess I’m missing something.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 13:06

I meant name, Shannon, singular.

• Aaron Curl on March 5, 2010 at 04:45

A pie hole….a pie is a sugary..high carb treat that the SAD followers eat. hahahaha pie hole…funny….get it yet?

• Frank Rigney on March 4, 2010 at 08:32

Shut your confection orifice shannon

• Deb on March 4, 2010 at 09:15

Let’s not turn on each other, buckaroos and buckarettes.

• Frank Rigney on March 4, 2010 at 09:18

I thought it was funny, yet borderline offensive 😮

• shannon on March 4, 2010 at 09:51

I thought it was funny too.

• Dave Mc on March 4, 2010 at 09:11

“I have thought about unsubscribing several times because I felt stressed after reading your blog. It sounds as if you’re shouting, and it’s kind of scary.”

Now that is some funny shit.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 10:38

I consider Shannon’s remarks to be quite genuine and sincere from her perspective.

47. JLB on March 4, 2010 at 09:12

What’s with the “helping”? People make their own decisions. If a person will stand or fall depending on the persuasiveness of my argument rather than the actual evidence at hand they had better prepare to insert a swivel in their shoe so they can change directions with each new piece of rhetoric.

48. golooraam on March 4, 2010 at 09:27

this may have already been said, and this isn’t a comment on you per se, but…

in my opinion, the reason why some vegans are so ‘nazistic’ about their views is because inherently they are attaching dogma and righteousness to something that is metabolically unnatural… ergo, they NEED dogma and religious fanatacism to adhere to such an eating method, which is really an ideology… they have to use their mind and conscience thought to push an unnatural eating method…

on the flip side, meat eating (obviously) is obvious to us! steak tastes great? of course! saturated fat is satiating? of course! we don’t need dogma per se because it’s like saying you are passionate about breathing… breathing is obvious… so should eating paleo, or primal, or real foods, whatever spin we each take…

the only conscience decision we make is to retrain our taste buds to know what real food tastes like and what real satiation feels like… after a healthy meal, I feel nourished and happy, but not self righteous… unlike some of my vegan friends – like winning an Academy Award or something

basically, a relaxed attitude is not our right, but our default…

however, I APPLAUD YOU RICHARD because you expose elements I (we) don’t see that are trying to take my saturated fat away from me….

because of that, I should not take for granted that even though eating Range Brothers Lard off the spoon is my business, there are many in society who think it is not just my business…

thanks again, if someone pisses you off, keep hammering at em until they can say the following, and this is the ultimate test:

Bacon and Eggs Three Times A Day Is Healthy

that is the test

(disclaimer, assuming the eggs are organic and pork pasture raised but I digress)

All the best,

Jay

• gallier2 on March 4, 2010 at 09:49

Comment win!! We can go home now…

49. Pharm on March 4, 2010 at 09:29

I wish that I could agree with Kristen and often try to by focusing on me and what works for me. But then I go to work, or the grocery store, or to the gas station, or really anywhere people might be and am reminded that the information we have found and successfully used NEEDS to be distributed to everyone. Needlessly people are getting sicker and sicker and it is difficult to watch idley from the sidelines when you know you could be of some help. It is extremely frustrurating to fight the CW. I see it everyday in my professional and personal life. As a health care professional, I am equally frusturated at the mis-information I was told to believe and perpetuate. As a patient it is infuriating to have had solid clinical information “withheld.” And if you don’t think other people’s poor lifestyles will not affect you in the long run, you are mistaken. Our healthcare system and financial institutions can not withstand the increasing burden if the present level of disease continues. It is affecting you today, be it increased health insurance premiums, decreased social/municipal services to shift money into chronic disease care, as well as decreased access to neccessary medical care, etc. So I want to not care about what other people do, but for me I can’t and it is aggrevating. If you need to blow off some steam, as well as demonstrate passion, do so as you see fit. I get it, and will continue to read and refer people.

• James on March 4, 2010 at 10:30

Those who complain about shouting in regards to the crime that’s being carried out by Big Grain/Big Govt./Big Pharma are ridiculous actually. If someone is being murdered in the street and a witness looks over at them and screams “CALL 911!!”, these people are liable to say, “Excuse, you, but your tone I can do without”.
      Absolutely pathetic.

• Pharm on March 4, 2010 at 13:49

The sad fact is that all the ambulances will probably be busy attending to someone for a disease of civilization. The production of health care wokers (even if the education sucks) is being way outpaced by the production of disease by lifestyle. I am not opptomistic about our future.

50. JLB on March 4, 2010 at 10:01

People have the right to be wrong. The only thing I find disturbing is looking to one of the root causes of the problem [nanny state] as a solution to the problem. It’s frustrating when people don’t agree with your obvious brilliance but such is the price of liberty. The vast majority of misinformation [some deliberate and some probably well intended] was distributed by a population who held the belief that the people needed to be “helped” and “managed” ie herded like cattle [and then, ironically, fed like cattle as well]

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 12:35

“It’s frustrating when people don’t agree with your obvious brilliance but such is the price of liberty.”

I get where you’re coming from, JLB, but just to clarify, it is precisely liberty that I am fighting for, because it does not exist, anymore. It’s merely an illusion.

But nobody, anymore, is willing to risk taking their own chances. Nope, everyone wants the safety of the collective. Everyone wants to live at everyone else’s expense — like cannibals, and where does that ultimately lead? — and so liberty and freedom is an illusion.

And because there is no true freedom and liberty is why lies can persist for so long, institutionally supported, and where does the money come from to finance these institutions?

It’s a vicious circle of deception, fueled by an illusion of freedom and liberty.

51. Eric Kawaler on March 4, 2010 at 10:27

Your style is what attracted me here. To be perfectly honest, I followed the link from BoinBoing about the no poo thing. I also had been feeling unhealthy and dull for quite some time. Your exposing of the truth, wit and occasional shit flinging is part of what keeps me coming back (not to mention the food pron and music). I now feel a hundred times better and my wife and kids thank you for it.

52. Lute Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 11:03

The following is a reprint from a reader letter on the Opion Page of the Modesto Bee, written by Carol Stroud, R.N.. Totally ignorant.
    “Healthiest people don’t eat meat”
    “In response to “Article is propaganda for vegetarianism” (Jan 15 Letters): All the vegetarians I know are healthier than their peers who eat a hamburger and french fry diet. If you research the charts, most people get way more protein than needed, which accounts for all the kidney problems and dialysis. The kidneys which have to excrete such an excess of protein are failing.
    When I was an athlete I was told not to eat meat, so I ate fruit, veggies and pasta. The healthiest people I know are vegans. If you want meat, eat small amounts of beef or chicken.
    Meat, an acidic food, can contribute to a plethora of conditions, e.g.: osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, cardiac bypass surgeries, gout, obesity, breast and colon cancers, high blood pressure, bowel problems and low tryptophan levels, causing depression. The meat industry is big business and not interested in your health. Ask a vegetarian if they have many health problems–it’s very unlikely.”

My comment: So, she believes that a diet of nothing but carbs is the way to go for good health, crap. She also failed to mention large Agri business as noit being interested in our health, but oh yeah she can’t do that because the grant whores of most medical researchers is paid for by them and the pharmaceuticals. How many people will take this advise because she is an R.N., so she ought to know, right? How many people will die at an earlier age because this this kind idiocy?

Lute

• Carla on March 4, 2010 at 12:45

People like her make me really mad especially with all those kidney lies. When I knew I had some kidney damage if I had followed the Paleo or low carb diet I think I could have saved my kidneys, instead I listened to retards like this RN and avoided meat and focused on grains and carbs and now I am getting close to needing dialysis. I subsequently found out at fructose and insulin are very damaging to kidneys and protein does not damage kidneys. The problem is when the kidneys are damaged they cannot properly process excess protein but they did not cause the damage the grains/sugar/carbs did.

People such as her need to be called and asked where is the evidence? I have done the research and know there isn’t any.

53. Paul C on March 4, 2010 at 11:07

My building anger comes from two sources. Anger at myself for not opening my eyes sooner, and anger at authority for fooling me longer than the average age of a caveperson.

Now that my eyes are open, and now that I have personally experienced drastic health improvements (studies be damned, my single data point feels great), I feel obligated to fix the problems. The problems that extend to society are especially dangerous and evil, with crap-food induced disease affecting everyone, healthy or not.

My goal now is to find a way to channel my knowledge, abilities, and anger to make a difference, without being dismissed as a food-crazy.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 11:13

Hear, hear, Paul C.

• James on March 4, 2010 at 11:23

It’s hard not to be food-crazy when you have to read bullshit headlines like this on a daily basis.
      Absolutely murderously criminal…. http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/636547.html

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 13:43

I agree it’s profoundly stupid, but being wrong isn’t criminal.

There are — and were for the past decade — people who for reasons which escape me believe that mankind is appreciably warming the planet.

I have looked at the core science, regularly, for years and thought the arguments in favour of Anthropegenic Global Warming were irrational. I have been a staunch opponent of this notion, and always at the same time open to being persuaded, yet finding little to do so.

Why does this matter? Anytime you spend trillions of dollars on an unnecessary plan to solve a non-existent problem (when the true danger to mankind”s advanced civilization and population is another ice age) you take that money, that growth away from where it would do the most good.

The price of food has risen, for example, because of a ridiculous emphasis on growing ethanol crops. This has caused some people not to be able to afford food. This is bad.

Likewise, if the world had proceded with Copenhagen and other absurdities real people would have suffered and/or died.

Yet for all that, former University of East Anglia’s Climactic Research Director Phil Jones was grilled the other day before a U.K. Parliamentary Committee which started mainly sympathetic to him and ended mostly skeptical. He committed, in my view, scientific fraud.

If statutes of limitations hadn’t expired, he ought to have been charged criminally for violating the U.K. Freedom of Information Act.

Should he suffer serious consequences for his part in deleting data, withholding data, etc.? Yes.

BUT… should other scientists who, perhaps largely relying on his work and the work of other charlatans such as Michael Mann at Pennsylvania State University… were simply mistaken… suffer criminally?

I think not. Damage to their reputations for being so wrong and gullible is what they deserve, and it’s what Dean Ornish deserves.

It may well be what your family doctor deserves.

Remember though — Richard Harris, M.D., respected mentor at PaleoNu.com — Michael Eades, M.D. — and others, including the ER docs that recently wrote to Richard… supported conventional wisdom once upon a time.

They did harm to their patients as a result.

Should we have wished them ill, or convinced them, or if they refused to change, used them as an example of what is wrong while maintaining our dignity by not wishing them personal harm?

I for one have been wrong many times. I’d prefer you didn’t wish my death because of that, but if you do, that says something about your character.

• Kurt G Harris MD on March 4, 2010 at 16:31

I appreciate that you think I am cool enough to be that guy in “A Man called Horse”, but I am actually Kurt Harris.

If you listen to my interview with Jimmy Moore, I described the attempted vilification of eggs and bacon early in my medical training as sounding like bullshit, and how I had escaped some ill effects of the SAD by eating plenty of meat and full-fat dairy my whole life. I only got exercised about things once I read GCBC, and only then, armed with the science to support what I felt intuitively, started preaching.

Although I can’t say I preached against the neolithic agents my whole career, I can honestly say I never once advised a person to take a statin or cut back on saturated fat.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 18:41

You’re right, of course, Dr. Harris. That aspect at least of conventional wisdom you didn’t buy, and I was wrong to say you did.

I assume you, like everyone, may or may not have bought into some bit of conventional wisdom or other, but since I don’t know for sure, I’ll shut the heck up about it.

One thinks a bow hunter (sounds like a pretty damn awesome sport/livelihood to me) wouldn’t be the first person to jump on the low carb bandwagon.

I mostly had Dr. Eades’ in mind due to a recent post of his where he talked about his switch from CW to low carb/high fat, and his fears along the way.

Apologies.

• Aaron Curl on March 5, 2010 at 05:01

100% agree with you. I followed the SAD to the tee. Close friends would often ask me for advice on nutrition because I somehow remained in great shape. So, I was giving many people bad advice….don’t wish death upon me please…for I have seen the paleo light…I repent all my CW!

• Carla on March 4, 2010 at 12:38

I need one of those animated graphics where there is a picture of said idiot with a large hammer hitting him upside his head repeatedly.

54. cjlizzard on March 4, 2010 at 11:21

i totally agree with her, the anger is a total turn-off and as a result ii only read you once in a blue moon

• James on March 4, 2010 at 11:24

Only hurting yourself, friend.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 11:32

Well James, I think that if the style here turns people off that they definitely ought to consider looking elsewhere or curtailing their frequency.

That’s probably the more healthy approach and doesn’t bother me a bit.

• shannon on March 4, 2010 at 11:43

I thought you thought Kirsten’s criticisms had some validity and that you really wanted some feedback. If you just want people who dislike the writing style to go elsewhere, why didn’t you just say so?
      I feel kind of duped now.

• James on March 4, 2010 at 11:51

Of course, he did not say he wanted anyone to go elsewhere.
      Argue with Richard,but don’t create strawmen by putting words in his mouth.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 14:12

In all seriousness, I found an interesting site written by a woman born in my home town that may be temperamentally more to your liking (it’s actually on Richard’s blogroll):

There’s a lot there including a blog and a radio show. The recommendations are pretty good although Richard’s got better recipes.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 12:38

Yes please.

I am valuing all the input. I’m just saying that if the place really bothers someone that it might be more fruitful to go elsewhere. I hope they don’t, but that might be what’s called for.

• shannon on March 4, 2010 at 14:04

Ok, I’m going elsewhere.

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 14:21

Whatever, Shannon. Don’t know what you expected to get out of this, but I guess not getting it makes you feel “duped.”

So there you have it.

BTW, I’m not impressed with victimhood.

• James on March 4, 2010 at 11:46

I tend to agree, Richard.
      Of course, if you were to homogenize your communications to mimic those everywhere who have lost their critical thinking skills, then you’d be losing my readership.
      Can’t please everyone, and I think that’s the ultimate message to your complainers.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 13:19

I don’t think there’s any reason to believe Sisson, Taubes, and on and on who strongly criticize conventional wisdom and point out how this causes disease and early death (in some cases knowingly: To wit, the Coca Cola company and its awful Olympic, “Open happiness,” slogan and hideous, endlessly repetitive music that I and my best friend watched live in BC’s capital)… but somehow refrain from saying they want doctors who prescribe conventional wisdom to perish through illness or otherwise… lack critical thinking skills.

If you think so, James, you lack critical thinking skills.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 21:51

Ah, not really. I do know where Victoria is insofar as I’m sitting here.

The Olympic flame came through here earlier, the Premier and assorted celebrities had a ceremony, and Coke put on an awful display of commercial sociopathy.

• Christoph Dollis on March 4, 2010 at 21:52

Or do you need photos of me and said Olympic torch in Victoria, BC, to verify?

• Dave Mc on March 4, 2010 at 20:39

“that I and my best friend watched live in BC’s capital”

It must have been tough to see from Vancouver Island:

>;-P

Dave

• Christoph Dollis on March 5, 2010 at 21:49

Nice to meet a fellow Paleo-Victorian, Dave. I’m pleased to make your acquaintance.

• Dave Mc on March 5, 2010 at 11:48

Nope, I live here too. I thought you were talking about the Games themselves.

My mistake…

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 12:39

Right, James. And I don’t think it’s like every single one of my posts are hellfire & brimstone.

• James on March 4, 2010 at 11:30

By the way, I’m new here so I’ll be canceling out your absence, so, no worries!

• Lute on March 4, 2010 at 11:34

Yeah, and you can listen to Dr. Dean Edell, he’s all for whole grain bread, legumes and pasta. All that sugar, ughh.

55. Raj Gulati on March 4, 2010 at 12:17

Never change, Richard. Your summaries of political meddling, “breakthrough” nutritional science, and the other circus acts makes it all….bearable.

56. Carla on March 4, 2010 at 12:35

I don’t have time to read all these comments today but I will get to them. I apologize if I am saying something that has already been said. I love your anger and outbursts they make me laugh. I am originally from back east but now I live in Seattle where everyone is all nice and civil on the outside and cold, boring and humorless on the inside. So I love to come to your site everyday and get a dose of f bombs and sarcasm, it is very refreshing to me. And these people who you call out need to be called out as they are crippling our society with their smug wrong headed advice.

Please don’t change your tone and curse to your heart’s desire because you are a hoot.

57. Rod on March 4, 2010 at 12:40

How many “messages have been sent but not received due to the delivery system? I’m sure my ex had somes valid concerns about my behaviours but at the time all I could hear was the screaming.

58. JLB on March 4, 2010 at 12:51

Random thought.

It’s a little rude to come to someones “home” and criticise their “rude” language. Oh the humanity.

59. GeeBee on March 4, 2010 at 15:29

I like your attitude, your passion and your honesty. As a female, the swearing doesn’t bother me as it’s always in context. You’ve only ever made one comment that offended me (kids and Santa) but I got over it quick enough. Please don’t ever be ‘nice’ – in my mind, the most insulting compliment one could ever get. And FWIW your output over the last few weeks actually inspired me to donate recently, something I’ve been meaning to do for a while.

60. Patrick N. on March 4, 2010 at 16:40

Well this thread really looks like a thread on Lyle’s mean forum. Lots of angriness and cursing.

Richard, are you trying to emulate it ? 😉

Patrick

• Richard Nikoley on March 4, 2010 at 17:01

Well Patrick N, I’ve never taken yo for a Hit & Run kinda guy, smilie aside.

“Richard, are you trying to emulate it ?”

You know, if I was and I’m not, last thing I’d do is pussy out like Lyle and endeavor to keep it surreptitious, as he does and which he’s stated explicitly.

On the first point, how about some context? Why are my readers cursing, and do they have cause, perhaps because there’s no power? It’s easy and pussy to be magnanimous when you’re holding a gun, like politicians.

But I have to say that not figuring context & rational strikes me as rather like the “zero tolerance” movement, the thing I call “zero thinking.”

• Patrick N. on March 4, 2010 at 17:30

That’s alright, I do understand the feeling and the context. I wouldn’t describe myself as a “Hit & Run guy” though (where did that come from?). I was just saying that when I’m reading this comment section here I really feel like when I’m reading on Lyle’s forum.

I’m not saying it as a bad thing.

Patrick

61. Dan Linehan on March 5, 2010 at 00:46

This was a fun thread to read. Blogs written without passion are a dime a dozen, and if we didn’t like the no BS tone we wouldn’t be here.

On a side note, I’m going to use that legal threats fax idea. Just paid $6k in lawyers fees today too.

62. Aaron Curl on March 5, 2010 at 05:20

I think it would be funny if you tell us how many readers you lost after this post, I would guess not many at all. Some people get offended way to easily, lighten up. I honestly cannot listen to people cry about someone who comes across rude or mean. Just go crawl in bed and cry your little eyes out and don’t ever get on the computer again because the world is a cruel and harsh place. ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE! The weak and sickly animals get eaten first! Which do you want to be?

• Christoph Dollis on March 5, 2010 at 21:53

To me it’s about the signal-to-noise ratio and available time.

Given endless time, I’d love to read all sorts of aggressive diatribes on all sorts of subjects.

63. Sue on March 5, 2010 at 11:35

Richard,

When I discovered your site early last year, I found your writing pretty darned fun and different to read. I was able to get your very good take on studies that I did not know about and probably would not have understood had I read them. You have the ability to put it out there in terms that a housewife, like myself can understand. I even got a chuckle out of the occasional outbursts of profanity that you offered up. However, it seems that since you removed your moratorium on f-bombs that your swearing and agitation has really gained some momentum. I still check in on your site fairly regularly; because I really do like what you do and appreciate all the work that you put into this blog. I just never know, if after I read your post, if I am going to be more knowledgeable or just a little bit more down and maybe pissed off too.

64. Kitty on March 6, 2010 at 06:59

I have been a visitor here since Jan and alongside PaNu, fthead and Mark’s daily apple, I check your blog every day. I am attracted to your passion and unwillingness to relent against the lies printed on nutrition. I am new to this community but think that someone like you is needed. Don’t change who you are! thanks for the site and the news and the fight.

65. ttt on March 7, 2010 at 06:58

Richard,

I will be honest. I used to read your blog daily. Now I don’t. Because of statements like this: “may they die a thousand deaths”. These types of statements are much different than the Fbomb etc. They go straight to the core or spirit of what makes a person. These statements reveal ones’ love for life, humanity, and fellows.

I spent some time reading each post on here. It seems for all those that “disagree” with your style, you spend time defending it or letting them know why you are right or tell them they may want to go elsewhere. We knew all of this before? I cannot figure out why you posted the question to begin with. Is it to “know your enemy” so you can know where others are coming from? Is it to hear those who may slightly disagree with you, but overall enjoy you (these comments are much more palettable than the others)? You are frank about not caring, as nor do I, I just bump in here about 2 times a month now. If you don’t care, why post it? It seems that those who disagree have just given you an avenue by which to inform your reasons for doing what you do as you then share to the readers. Was the post to to just better help you articulate your stances when you really “don’t care” what the folks have graciously shared??

Wishing you the best,
    ttt

66. Kev on March 7, 2010 at 12:44

Richard,

I enjoy your site just the way it is, I have been eating Primal/Paleo for about 3 months now. When someone ask me about my diet and exercise choices I send them to MDA when someone tells me they are ready to jump in the water I send them here straight to the LSD Chicken post.

67. ginger on March 11, 2010 at 22:46

Richard, I love your recipes but don’t much respect the name calling. Thanks for asking – I’m still reading!