Enjoy Your Saturday Evening Folks; Here’s Some Emmylou Harris

Not exactly rock, but it is from an album named "Wrecking Ball," Emmylou Harris, from 1995. Deeper Well.

I’m working on dinner. Chicken in the brine, Sous Vide Supreme warming up, and a tarragon sauce planned with some lumpy mash. Dinner for six, tonight. See you on the other side.

1. Marc on March 27, 2010 at 22:01

Can’t beat Emmy with Daniel Lanois. Her best work.

Marc

2. Johnny on March 28, 2010 at 12:46

The music you choose is very weird. It is so odd it is almost paranormal. Your musical choices are deeply, deeply, DEEPLY disturbing.

• Richard Nikoley on March 28, 2010 at 12:51

Then don’t listen to them, Johnny. Duh!

Do you really think I give a flying fuck whether you personally like them? Uh, no. In fact, I’m rather tickled that you don’t and I’ll be really damn certain to keep it up.

Jesus. It’s sometimes such a pain to even have comments enabled at all.

3. mary lowther on March 29, 2010 at 10:04

Well, that was a nice surprise! I love Emmy Lou Harris and thought this video was great! Thanks very much. The band held back when she was singing and the whole band was fantastic, although I must say the drummer rocked.
    Mary

4. William on March 29, 2010 at 15:46

I love hybrid sounds in music, which is why my affinity for prog rock whispers with prevailing winds from the maestros to this day. And this little jewel from Emmy Lou captures that very spirit. Playing a Les Paul without country cliche licks in an otherwise country band is thinking outside the box… as they say.

Johnny, the words emanating from your fingertips makes no sense. Paranormal? Deeply disturbing” Tell me sir, did your government school matrons slip a Mickey of ritalin in your low fat milk?

5. Flying Burrito on March 30, 2010 at 21:15

Emmylou Harris and Daniel Lanois together during the Wrecking Ball tour simply can’t be understated–after the concert was over, I couldn’t even speak. It was simply so mind-blowing, dynamic and heartfelt that I stumbled out of “First Avenue” (in Minneapolis where I saw them perform), completely stoned on just the music alone–no kidding. I had nothing that night–not even a beer, I just really wanted to zero-in on a beautiful living legend like Emmylou, savor it…and Lanois blew my mind too. He made it look easy. What a talent pool. Rickie Lee Jones was like that too…and Jeff Beck…and Johnny Cash. I used to sell tickets for Daytons before they sold the racket to Ticketmaster and was a very active member of the concert committee at the University of Wisconsin between 83 and 87. I’ve seen so many formidable performers and bands I’ve lost count but it’s uncanny how you can pick-em, Richard. I don’t know you from Adam but I like your taste in music. Hey, I love Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth and Beck and Digweed too but those cats you’ve been playing rank right there at the top…along with Charlie Parker and Coltrane and everyone else that can really hit you in that sweet spot where you live. Yea, that music “is” paranormal–mind-blowing.

6. Flying Burrito on March 30, 2010 at 21:19

PS. what’s with the way hyphens are drawn on this blog (?) – there, I separated that one…let’s see if it works…