How to Eat Out With Care

Headed off to the cabin in the mountains in a bit. Sometimes that brings on a blogging whirlwind ’cause I love it. Haven’t been up there since Xmas/NY, and had a tree take out power (like, the whole junction box, meter & pole) in the interim but the insurance Co treated me very well and the repair by phone went off without  hitch.

with so much rain, lately here in the Bay Area when the sun finally came out all I wanted to do is go have lunch whilst bathed in rays, on a patio at a nice place. Rive Gauche, AKA, Left Bank was the place. Santana Row was the location.

A couple of oysters to start, served in the French manner, with red wine vinegar (my favorite).

Huitres
Huîtres

You can make a nice vinaigrette with the vinegar, a bit of garlic, horseradish, lemon & chopped shallot. Yum.

After that, a salade frisée with a light creamy bluecheese dressing, and crumbled bluecheese on the bavette grillée.

Salade de Bavette Grille
Salade de Bavette Grillée

A tout a l’heure.

1. Lute on March 12, 2010 at 14:43

You shoulda called me, i’ve got that $50.00 gift card for Left Bank, you know. I would have made the trip.

2. Sylvie O. on March 12, 2010 at 15:20

I always found that French restaurants have the best choices for paleo eating. And they’re really the pits for vegetarians!

• Richard Nikoley on March 13, 2010 at 09:13

That’s sounds like two feathers in the cap for French restaurants, Sylvie. I wonder what the rate of vegetarianism is in France as compared to other countries.

Ah, Google…

Less than 2%, compared to like 10% in Germany & Italy. USA is like 3.7%

3. Chaohinon on March 12, 2010 at 17:02

Damn, this makes me miss working in my aunt’s French/Creole fusion restaurant. That food was absolutely bangin’, and mostly primal-friendly. A shame that place had to go under.

4. Matt on March 13, 2010 at 15:27

Richard,
    when are you going to set up a sj/bay area meet up. you frequent some of the same places that I do (and I would assume others). it would be nice to get together for a meal, cook-out, park workout, etc.

• Richard Nikoley on March 13, 2010 at 15:32

Matt:

Good idea, and I’m willing to take lead. Hit me up in the spring. Would be great if we could pool knowledge to come up with an open space where we can run around barefoot or Vibramed, tossing Frisbees and whatnot.

I’ll bring the scotch.