More Modern “Cavemen” in the News

I guess we’re just never going to be rid of that caveman archetype. Oh, well. Perhaps what they say is true, that there’s no such thing as bad publicity.

Via conditioning guru extraordinaire, Keith Norris, here’s a Voice of America segment from a few days back. Not perfect by any means, even going beyond the caveman BS, but decent nonetheless.

1. Alcinda Moore on March 12, 2010 at 08:00

Red meat? Wouldn’t Mammoth be red meat?

And, of course, again with the saturated fat!

2. Kyle Bennett on March 12, 2010 at 08:04

I think to a lot of people “leanmeat” is one word that means “any animal flesh fit for human consumption”. It’s always said in such a rote fashion.

3. terence on March 12, 2010 at 07:54

Not bad. I don’t like the last bit at the end, with red meat and fat being bad for you and telling up to load up on more fruit and veggies. Fat is good and too much fruit is not.

4. Sarah Madden on March 12, 2010 at 08:20

That stir fry that guy was eating looked very politically correct, low fat, no red meat etc..

I’ll really start to believe that things are turning around when they show healthy people tucking into fatty pork belly.

• Richard Nikoley on March 12, 2010 at 09:18

I suppose the message to send is that while yea, that stir fry is fine, so is the red meat, and the fat.

5. Shane on March 12, 2010 at 08:53

Yea, where did they draw the connection that most of the “Paleo Diet” is taken from “The Omega Diet” book? I’ve never even heard of that, not to mention it specifically says on the cover “based on the diet of the island of crete”.

There’s nothing wrong with red meat and I’d venture to say that a caveman had a better shot of finding red meat than he ever did of catching a fish.

Like you said, not very accurate, but publicity nonetheless. Aggravating though.

6. Tami on March 12, 2010 at 09:32

I was digging it until the part about the red meat. Made me want to hit my head on my desk repeatedly. Even if they want to quibble about paleo man not eating grain fed beef, what about venison, bison, grass fed beef, etc? And how in the world did they dig up the “Omega Diet” book instead of the more obvious “Paleo Diet”?

• Don Wiss on March 12, 2010 at 18:52

I do not consider her book to be paleo at all. I do not list her book among the more than a couple dozen books I list on my web page. My guess is the script authors wanted to interview someone other than Loren Cordain. Everybody interviews Loren. Ray Audette has no credentials, and lost what presence he had. Staffan Lindeberg is inconveniently in Sweden. They needed someone with credentials to make the person believable. So they picked her. A Google search finds her with a slew of credentials.

7. Dave, RN on March 12, 2010 at 10:25

Did they have to put that uninformed lady demonizing the red meat and saturated fat? That’s what everyone will remember. She ruined the whole thing. Wench.

8. Dave, RN on March 12, 2010 at 10:33

…but then again, that’s the media for you. Report on a story and twist it so it’s politically correct.

9. Kurt G Harris MD on March 12, 2010 at 10:49

The “lean meat” meme followed by mention of fruits and nuts is pure Cordainism.

And red meat and sugar are still in the same sentence?

And they quote Simopolous and she says “avoid saturated fat?”

The paleo – prefix is becoming utterly meaningless, or at least seriously incoherent.

I am starting to think “saturated fat is OK” is a better organizing principle than “paleo” when I see a video of a supposed “paleo” meal that is goitrogenic stir fried broccoli (fried in what kind of veggie oil?) and a bowl of blueberries with no dead animals in sight.

10. Paul on March 12, 2010 at 14:32

Whats up with all the “no dairy”? It’s animal fat and still better than bunch of fruits. At least for me.

11. Garth on March 12, 2010 at 15:01

Hmmm, do you think the Paleo Diet might actually be derived from the book called, “The Paleo Diet”? That actually pisses me off. Granted, Cordain is bought into the anti fat propoganda as well. So frustrating! Love it when CrossFit gets good press 🙂

12. Kevin on March 12, 2010 at 19:18

And here I’ve been operating under the apparent misapprehension that saturated fat was king, glucose being, in the absence of its sinister cousin fructose, the next best, or for that matter, the only other proper metabolic fuel. These, it would seem, are both to be avoided. Stain on me.

These people would do well to consider how their performances on the Areola or the Melinda or the Zarathustra or whatever-the-fuck the WoD is might improve if they were consuming calories of sufficient quality AND quantity to meet their activity needs, which must be quite high.

Eating a shrimp stir-fry with minimal added fat and a pound of low-calorie vegetables, with blueberries on the side as one of his main daily meals, dude’s lucky if he’s taking in 600 calories per. The vegetables appear to provide the bare minimum of carbohydrate necessary to avoid rabbit starvation. I’d like to see him keep this up for another several years.

Could be he’s eatin such meals 12 times a day, in which case I stand will stand corrected, but I eat snacks with more real nutrition (i.e., calories) in them than that.

Also, I’m not a big person. I’m an average-sized person (not America-sized average!) with a big metabolism.

I feel bad for anyone whose animal instincts mingle with his habits in such a way as to have the poor guy eat a pound more broccoli than should be necessary to stay minimally nourished when I’ll just put an extra few knobs of butter over my food. A pound of broccoli does little for me apart from loosen my stools, if you’ll pardon my saying so, but extra butter, lard, tallow, or coconut oil goes straight into the furnace. No problems.

13. […] More Modern Caveman in the news […]

14. stu on March 13, 2010 at 17:09

What was with the pull-ups? They looked like a half assed cardio routine. I’d like to see those crossfitters do dead hangs and then bring their chest up to the bar, with no leg movement. Do 12 of those with strict form, then start add a pound or two a week with a belt or vest. There is no point in doing a timed “routine” if there is no control over the form of the exercise.