Sunday Afternoon With Scotch & Doggies

First of all, I’m going to be blogging about a crock pot brisket & fennel. Most amazing smell as this is cooking, ever. Can’t believe it. See the last post on grassfed beef.

So as I’m enjoying that smell, perhaps Rotor & Nanuka ("Nuke") are too because they’re so friendly. Perhaps they’re more interested in plate dregs than chicken jerky or dried liver pieces.

A coupla pics. Click for the large.

Mee 7 Doggies
Mee & Doggies
More of Me Doggies
More of Me Doggies

Maybe some rock later. No guarantee.

1. troglo on March 7, 2010 at 17:41

You (and the dogs, and that great bust) look amazing!!

• Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2010 at 17:44

And that bust would be Aphrodite, acquired in Olympia in Greece in about 1991.

• troglo on March 7, 2010 at 17:48

love goddess…you the king

2. Benjamin Skipper on March 7, 2010 at 18:38

Adorable dogs, but where are the Vibrams?!

3. Woody on March 7, 2010 at 19:42

Where is the scotch that the headline promised? I could go for some scotch right now.

4. Duncan on March 7, 2010 at 23:32

Richard:

Why you so angry all the time?

And why all that howibble language?

Where’s the joy in your life?

Oh yeah – and where the fuck’s the scotch, man?

5. [C] on March 8, 2010 at 01:32

Cute dogs! Looking forward to that post about the crock pot brisket! Love your blog btw. ^_^.

6. Tami on March 8, 2010 at 02:33

You´re looking great! Be careful not getting too thin. Which scotch?

7. Heidi on March 8, 2010 at 03:31

Great photos, Richard! I must say, I love everything about this pic … that awesome BUST, your dogs, and how healthy you look! Give em a scratch for me!

8. Real Dog on March 8, 2010 at 07:09

These two little critters sure look like big rats. How can you call them dogs and not be ashamed of yourself? Or did you think that if you bought two oversized rats that would somehow equal a real dog? May I suggest that it’s time for a small and cute double-rat-roast paleo style? If you prefer them sous vide I am even sure they are an excellent fit for your plastic bags because of their size impairedness. I should stop now, these thoughts make my mouth watering.

9. Chris P on March 8, 2010 at 07:57

Ok Richard,

New to this site and have read a lot of the older posts. I’ve got a pretty good idea of what you eat and how you cook it. (Set myself up with a SousVideMagic a few weeks ago, and your sous vide help has been great.)

What I’m not yet sure of is what you (and other paleos) DON’T eat, or eat in small quantities.

Partial list of what I’m pretty sure you and other paleos don’t eat:

1) Processed food products.
    2) Wheat products.
    3) Soy products.
    4) Cane sugar products.
    5) Corn syrup.
    6) too many overall carbs.

Unsure of other things.

Peanut butter?
    Corn Oil?
    Canola oil?
    Artificial sweeteners? (pretty sure it’s a no on this one.)
    Anything else.

Thanks.

• Patrik on March 8, 2010 at 18:27

@Chris P

Don’t think of Paleo in terms of a list of foods one should or should not eat. Think of Paleo as broad set of meta-rules that describes why we should favor some foods and avoid others.

This post at PaleoNu – should be helpful to you:

• Chris P on March 8, 2010 at 19:07

Thanks! Will look at. Been doing a version of paleo for a few days (rather than just low carb) and feeling very good so far.

10. Larry on March 8, 2010 at 08:45

Off topic, but I think fans of this website will love these photos:

• Travis on March 8, 2010 at 17:17

Cool link, thanks!

11. Aaron Blaisdell on March 8, 2010 at 19:46

Richard, don’t be a pussy. Post some pics of the scotch!

12. Duncan on March 8, 2010 at 20:54

Richard,

One of your dogs endorsing this product?

Where “The ancestral diet meets modern nutrition.”

• James on March 9, 2010 at 08:18

I’ve been able to pick this up at Petco for my Boston Terrier.

• Richard Nikoley on March 9, 2010 at 10:29

Duncan:

They’s both been on Evo for probably three years, now with amazing results. The 11 yr old male is like an active young male again. I rotate between the red meat, white meat and now fish kibbles and they also get the canned, mostly the duck & venison. I also give them been & chicken stock.

• Duncan on March 9, 2010 at 15:52

Great!

Just had an Australian Shepherd pup kinda foisted upon us. One condition I had if we were to keep him was that, as well as the training, we feed him properly.

Took delivery of the red and white meat kibble yesterday and now transitioning the doggie off the high carb corn and soy junk he came with.

Good to hear your dogs are thriving on this stuff and thanks for the other recommendations.

13. John Venlet on March 9, 2010 at 07:55

Richard, the brisket sounds delicious. When we prepare one over here, we pour some Good Seasons Italian dressing on it, toss it in the oven at 275 and let that thing slow cook for about 5 or 6 hours.

Upon completion, and after the brisket has set for a bit, it’s sliced in 3/8 inch thick or so slices, loaded on to the finest baked buns I can get my hands, and then topped with homemade slaw, swiss, onion, ‘maters, or whatever suits your fancy. Commece chowing down.

I’ll have to give your preparation a go. Oh, and you’re right, the smell of a brisket slow cooking is almost torture, to both dogs and man.

14. Richard Nikoley on March 9, 2010 at 10:46

Hey John:

Here’s how the brisket came out.

Even though I don’t do bread anymore, usually, I have had both pulled pork sandwiches and shredded beef BBQ, both with the slaw. Yes, amazing.