The Bavette Will Be My Downfall!

Once again I’ve wasted time trying to find Mark Sisson’s blog about flap steak or bavette. Wanted to give him credit, which this is, but also a link, which I can’t do. Alas, it was in one of his Insider emails. A stern email to Mark will follow! :). I am totally and completely in love with this cut of meat. For my money, this is the best cut of meat, ounce for pennies, bar none. I used to love grilled tri-tip roasts as the best flavor for dollar. This beats it hands down for my taste buds. Onward.

Last night. I grilled it this time, just like the first time (link above). From La Cense. Hope you’re not hungry. Click to get HQ.

Grilled Bavette
Grilled Bavette

Notice how it’s fall apart tender, which you can actually see in the photo, owing to how it’s separating from the slicing.

Did a beef stock reduction with butter and then added some crème fraiche I had in the fridge for a bit creamier texture. I’ll tell you what, it took a rare level of chivalry to give up my last slice to Bea for her lunch. You must try this.

With Sauce
With Sauce

For the side dish, I did a three-fat veggie sauté: butter, tallow, bacon drippings.

Sauteed Veggies
Sauteed Veggies

Crispy!

1. Flying Burrito on March 23, 2010 at 20:24

I agree. Have been going back to this cut again and again for a couple of years now…it’s a great value and a lot of people overlook it.

2. Mike M on March 23, 2010 at 23:14

Wow, I have never even heard of that cut of meat. Looks delicious. Thanks!

3. Chris on March 24, 2010 at 00:37

Did you really have to post this so I would read it at the end of a 40 hour fast! 🙂 Looks amazing. If I wasn’t 5,500 miles away I would be knocking on your door fork in hand.

4. Chris P on March 24, 2010 at 03:48

The inside looks like a perfect uniform temperature (from the color). Did you use the Sous Vide Supreme for it before throwing it on the grill?

(BTW I just got 40 lbs of grass fed beef yesterday from a South Dakota farmer. Includes this cut. Can’t wait.)

• Richard Nikoley on March 24, 2010 at 10:58

I think I’ve done four bavettes by now, two I did sous vide and two grilled, including this one.

5. Steve on March 24, 2010 at 04:38

Looks great. Pity it’s such a lean cut of meat.

• Richard Nikoley on March 24, 2010 at 10:58

I like both fatty cuts and lean cuts for different reasons & applications. A good filet steak is lean, but I love the taste & texture. Brown some butter of make a sauce and you can get plenty of added fat.

6. Lucky on March 24, 2010 at 05:02

Beautiful presentation. Those veggies look fantastic, cookbook perfect. You have a great eye for food photography and your recipes are always intriguing – I hope there’s a cookbook in your future. I know I’d buy it!

7. Zach on March 24, 2010 at 07:38

I’m originally from California, now living on the East Coast. I’ll take your word on the bavette, haven’t tried it, but I also really dig the tri-tip. I would be that many people reading this post haven’t tried tri-tips either, they’re almost impossible to find here on the East Coast, and I think most of my friends think it’s some sort of made-up California meat cut. In any case, I’ll look for both cuts as Spring is indeed upon us, and it is time.

8. Aaron Blaisdell on March 24, 2010 at 08:21

Yeah, I had the same experience searching exhaustively through Mark’s website for the flap steak reference only to discover that it was in the Insider email ONLY. I did manage to track down the email, and then some flap steak from my grass-fed vendor (J and J’s Grass Fed Beef). Cooked it in the Sous Vide Supreme finished with a quick sear in the cast-iron skillet. Served this and a chuck roast to Mark and Carrie and some other friends who were in town (including Brent Pottenger) but forgot to reprimand Mark for the lengthy fruitless search though his blog.

9. Mark Sisson on March 24, 2010 at 09:34

I may have to rethink this Insider thing… 😉

10. Matt on March 24, 2010 at 10:45

That looks really good! I haven’t ever tried it, but I like cheaper cuts of meat. Not sure why I didn’t see Mark’s email on it. Aaron’s culinary skills sound like an awesome way to go…

11. TrailGrrl on March 24, 2010 at 17:08

Love the flap or skirt steak. Got a grassfed one in the freezer right now. Usually the farmer I get my grassfed meat from runs out because some other lady buys it all. But I got some last month at the winter market. Thank God there is a Market on Easter Saturday, and the in May the regular weekly market will start back up.

I also get it cheap at Mexican market or carniceria. And they make a great Carne Asada at the taqueria attached to the store. It’s a HUGE piece of steak and I always get it with extra avocado on the side. I always feel on top of the world after I eat that combo.

Tonight I had some stir fried filet mignon with an entire avocado that was just perfectly ripe (for a change!). Ahhhhhh.

Do you marinate before you grill it?

TrailGrrl

• Richard Nikoley on March 24, 2010 at 18:00

I’m not a big fan of marinade, except for some particular cuts like Korean beef short ribs. I prefer dry rubs and even so, I’m particular about where i use those.

In so many cases, a bit of salt, pepper & garlic is all you need,

12. Melissa on April 8, 2010 at 20:37

ahhh mmmmm this looks good!
    *writes down recipe for future reference*
    Just started reading your blog and I”m loving that you have lots of food suggestions and recipes on here!

13. CarolineK on April 22, 2010 at 17:04

Just purchased some flap steak from Costco. Can’t wait to make it tomorrow night!