Weekend Farmer’s Market Pics

I’m really happy about how my parents, having been paleoish now for going on a couple of years, probably, have followed the same path as I. Now they’re into farmer’s markets, grassfed beef, pastured eggs & so forth.

After a fairly late dinner and cards with friends, I didn’t hit the sack until 1am Friday night. Nevertheless, up at 7 and feeling like I could easily get another 1-2 hours, I headed off to Modesto to meet up with my dad. That was 1 1/2 hours in the car. Then we drove another 100 miles down to Fresno to visit The Vineyard Farmer’s Market. It was small, but nice in variety — unlike a lot of others that are vendor after vendor of fruits & vegetables. This one had two grassfed meat vendors and a pastured egg vendor. And an artisan sausage vendor. And a coffee roaster! For a pretty small FM, excellent variety in covering all the bases.

Also I’m really loving my new camera. Just took delivery on a new lens more for outdoor work. So here we go. If you click on the images you get higher quality but the same size.

P1010255

P1010256

P1010257

P1010258

P1010259

P1010260

P1010261

P1010262
Pastured Eggs (the chickens eat bugs as supposed to, not 100% vegetarian)

This final one was shot in my parents’ back yard after we got back. Some tree is blooming and the bees are taking advantage of it.

Bee
A Bee At Work

1. Christoph Dollis on March 7, 2010 at 02:21

Awesome post and pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Good on your parents for dragging you to a paleo-lifestyle.

😛

2. Alan on March 6, 2010 at 18:20

What a special time you must have had with your parents. Cherish those moments!

I went to two farmer’s markets today. One was in downtown Jacksonville FL under a bridge. The choices, in my opinion, were meager. Although I did get a dozen free range eggs and a chunk of fresh raw goat cheese–for pet consumption only. 🙂 It’s pretty darn good.

The second, located in Neptune Beach, was a bit closer to my home. The selection there seemed much better. I bought another dozen eggs–the women asked to bring the carton back next week if I’m able. I will be. 🙂 There was no meat or goat cheese. Though, I did see one vender selling soap made from goat … if only I used soap. heh I left there with a butternut squash, brussels sprouts ( like in your photograph ), broccoli, and a few other things that I can’t think of at the moment. I also purchased a bag of dried kale seasoned with cheese and other spices from a raw food vegan.

I took a detour on the way back to the beaches to a health food store. I intended to pick up a pound of packaged ground lamb and a packaged ground beef. To my surprise they had fresh grass fed beef. I bought a few pounds of ground chuck and a couple of ribeyes. I also found a couple of fresh green coconuts. My hope is to make some coconut kefir–an idea I got from reading huntgatherlove.com.

All in all, today turned out to be a pretty productive food day.

3. Owen on March 6, 2010 at 19:10

Great pics Richard…has me jazzed for FM season.
    What type of camera are you using? Those images are really sharp.
    Cheers!

4. Lute on March 6, 2010 at 19:41

Had a fun day with Richard, starting out with ham and eggs, then drive
    down to Fresno. I bought a couple steaks and ground beef (grass fed)
    also got some swiss chard and 2 doz. pasture chicken eggs. The blossom
    with the bee is a peach tree blossom. Great pictures of some really
    nice veggies.

5. Bay Area Sparky on March 6, 2010 at 20:07

In much of Cali, spring has sprung. Glad you had a soul-satisfying day.

6. Future Primitive on March 7, 2010 at 06:59

I ended up waking up pretty early this AM, so now that I’ve seen your pics, I think I’m gonna head out soon and see if Marin Sun Farms has any stock chickens (much cheaper if you’re making stock). Hopefully, they’ll have some chicken livers as well – haven’t seen any in months and months it seems.

That, and I might just have to get the ‘ol macro lens out today and do some bug hunting, myself.

-Jay

• Future Primitive on March 7, 2010 at 09:21

Just made it back! Turns out, Marin Sun has a “chicken stock” package that is loaded with parts. Prather Ranch had a chicken head package as well, so I grabbed that. Should make for a rich gelatin, I reckon. Both had chicken livers, so I stocked up. Lots of pate in my future.

Also, I had an idea to ferment some thin sliced fennel bulb (with some other appropriate flavors added) – a science project, if you will… figuring it would be tasty alongside some porchetta. Could be a disaster. Can’t wait.

7. Organic Gabe on March 7, 2010 at 07:07

The Farmer’s Market nearest to me is about 21 miles but well worth the trip.
    Great pics, Richard.

8. Rachael on March 7, 2010 at 19:59

I used my new yak tracks today, in the ice, snow and slush of Minnesota. Just saying. (Enjoy your flowers and bees, is all.)