Links & Quick Hits

~ I’m working up a post now on Intermittent Fasting, weight loss, muscle gain and its relation to “slowed metabolism” and “low body temperature.” As you might suspect, I laugh. I laugh a lot. Here’s a couple of things to give you a head start and get you thinking.

Increased p70s6k phosphorylation during intake of a protein–carbohydrate drink following resistance exercise in the fasted state. To summarize, post-workout muscle biopsies revealed much higher levels of the goodies that stimulate muscle growth in those doing resistance workouts fasted than those doing them fed. No surprise there, when one understands that animals don’t hunt on full bellies.

Study on fasting and dieting suggests why diets fail — and why a weekly fast might work. Basically, this suggests that since people don’t seem to automatically overeat the day after a fast but gain back the weight slowly, over 10 days or so, that a weekly fast might just be the ticket for sustaining weight loss over a long period.

~ Vitamin K2 has been one of my favorite topics for a long time. Here’s new evidence that higher vitamin K intake is tied to lower cancer risks.

In general, the researchers found, the one quarter with the highest intakes of vitamin K2 were 28 percent less likely to have died of any one of the cancers than the one-quarter of men and women with the lowest intakes of the vitamin. That was with factors like age, weight, exercise habits, smoking and consumption of certain other nutrients, like fiber and calcium, taken into account.

Of the one-quarter of study participants who got the least vitamin K2, 156 — or 2.6 percent — died of one of the four cancers. That was true of 1.6 percent of participants with the highest intakes of the vitamin from food.

When Linseisin’s team looked at the cancer types individually, there was no clear link between either form of vitamin K and breast cancer or colon cancer. However, greater consumption of vitamin K2 was linked to lower risks of developing or dying from lung cancer — a disease for which smoking is the major risk factor — or of developing prostate cancer.

Of the one-quarter of study participants with the lowest vitamin K2 intakes, 47 — or 0.8 percent — developed lung cancer, versus 0.4 percent of the one-quarter who got the most vitamin K2 in their diets.

When it came to prostate cancer, there were 111 cases among the one-quarter of men with the lowest vitamin K2 intakes, and 65 cases in the group with the highest consumption.

K2 has been on my short list of supplements for a couple of years. I now take the LEF K2 Complex product and the results have been far superior and more consistent to any of the others I’ve tried.

~ Underground restaurants, i.e., operating outside the law? You bet. It’s catching on and I love the idea.

~ This is really just more moronic than anything political. Here’s House Representative Hank Johnson expressing concern that the island of Guam might “tip over and capsize” with the addition of 8,000 US troops and their families.

What a dummy. Certainly, if he had any brains, the much longer term concern would have been Guam floating away. 🙂 And here you thought Idiocracy was just a movie. I’m sure everything will improve, though, right after the next election.

~ Heading off for Spring Break tomorrow and will probably be gone a week. But I should have no problem getting a couple of posts up, at least.

1. Jeanie on April 2, 2010 at 10:35

OK, Richard, you’re making fun of me, but I can take it. I, for one, intend to vote in November.

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2010 at 12:12

No, not at all Jeanie. If I’m making fun of anyone, it’s all of us.

My favorite question to always keep in mind as concerns voting is: “what if they held an election and nobody showed up?”

• Michael on April 2, 2010 at 15:39

Not to defend the guy but by any chance could he be trying to use metaphor? If so, he obviously failed but I am having a hard time believing he meant that literally, but who knows? Also, I hear he has hepatitis C, which apparently has caused him to blather on almost non-sensically at times. If that is the case, why is he still in office?

Anyways here is a little more insight into the Hepatitis C thing:

2. Mark on April 2, 2010 at 11:06

Hi Richard, do you mind elaborating on how you’ve noticed a difference with the LEF K2 product? Any thoughts on why it’s superior to others? I’ve been taking Thorne Research’s K2 for a while (pretty sure I learned about it from you), but perhaps it’s worth trying something else when my current supply runs out. Thanks!

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2010 at 14:14

Sure. As I’ve written in other posts on K2 I first tried the Green Pastures Butter Oil, then the Thorne, then the Carlson 5mg caps.

I saw results with all, principally soft skin over night, very smooth teeth, diminished calculus buildup & plaque even if I didn’t brush (that’s the most profound effect) and much thicker and stronger finger & toenails.

Since I’ve been on the LEF product, however, the smoothness of my teeth and resistance to any kind of deposits has been through the roof, even if I go a day ot two without taking it, which I do with all my supps, intermittently. Could be the bit of the Mk-7 subform in it, or perhaps the K1 even.

See the comments that begin right here on Stephan’s blog.

3. Carla on April 2, 2010 at 11:11

Idiocracy is one of my favorite movies and I actually consider it a documentary more than a comedy. I also never realized how stupid Congresspeople were until this year. Also I heard that Seattle or Washington state I am not sure which but I have a feeling it is Seattle, has passed a law in which you cannot smoke in a public park. We need to find hobbies or some other time consuming activities like basket weaving for these elected half wits.

4. Suzan on April 2, 2010 at 11:16

I don’t know what’s worse, the ignorant voters, or the politicians they elect! Idiocracy was a lame movie but so true in many ways… Love the underground restaurants. Very cool.

5. Elliot on April 2, 2010 at 12:00

Call me obtuse, but I’m not sure why the underground restaurants are any big deal. Are they selling foie gras or trans-fats, or anything else a regular restaurant can’t sell?

I’m all for subversive disregard for laws where there isn’t a real victim (vice or regulatory). I’m just a bit confused here.

6. Daniel Woelfel on April 2, 2010 at 12:03

The best part about the Hank Johnson story is the response he put up on his webpage:

“The subtle humor of this obviously metaphorical reference to a ship capsizing illustrated my concern about the impact of the planned military buildup on this small tropical island.”

7. Scott Miller on April 2, 2010 at 13:40

I have to believe that Hank was being funny, talking to a naval man, and using the metaphor of capsizing. It’s actual pure genius that he sold his seriousness so well that there’s now the questioning of his intelligence.

BTW, I don’t know what party Hank is with. So not taking sides here…just calling it like I see it.

• William on April 2, 2010 at 14:11

“Frankly, if I had his job, I would find ways to have fun like this too, given the total boredom of what these people do all day.”

Have you not seen the “boring” arm-twisting from Pelosi, Reid and other thugs from both Congress and the White House, Scott? We just had the largest invasion of privacy ever imposed upon us by the federal government, and you say these people are bored? Geesh, you will probably fall asleep from boredom if they inflict more harm from cap and trade. You know, more tyranny in order to save “Gaia.”

• mark on April 6, 2010 at 16:42

Please don’t have “fun” on MY dime.

8. Karen on April 2, 2010 at 13:53

I think it looks like someone needed to take Hank to the hospital!

• AJP on April 2, 2010 at 14:30

Hank has been ill.
      From Wikipedia “In December of 2009, Johnson revealed that he had been battling Hepatitis C for over a decade. He said that he had been declared free of the virus, but his liver suffered damage which has resulted in long-term health issues.”

9. Lute Nikoley on April 2, 2010 at 14:26

I’ve been taking Carlson K2 MK-7 Menatetrenone 5 mg, which is 50x higher dosage than LEF Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7) 100 mcg. And, is Menaquinone the same as Menatetrenone? Please explain.

Have a great time down in Vista. See you sometime after you get back, or at Delta Bay camping.

Loved New York, but everything is quite a bit more expensive. $14 for a martini, $7 for a light beer. But still we all had a great time.

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2010 at 15:04

The Carlson product is MK-4, 5mg. The LEF product has 1mg of MK-4 and 1mcg MK-7, reason being that 7 has a significantly greater half life in the blood than 4. Even at 1mg of MK-4, it’s still significantly more than you can get from food.

Menaquinone is the designation for K2 in general. Menatetrenone is the name of the specific MK-4 subform.

10. Andy on April 3, 2010 at 16:24

I’ve been pretty happy with the Carlson K2 caplets, but ordered the LEF stuff today (for $4 more, it’s worth a try) while re-ordering my Vit. D supplies.

‘Course, at nearly 90F here in New Hampshire, I was getting plenty of sun-based D today!

11. Lou on April 3, 2010 at 05:31

Obviously, Hank didn’t say it right but it does make him look like ignorant. I’ve heard worse like that congresswoman from Houston saying we sent people to Mars. Anyway, it’s a shame that Hank is suffering from liver disease. It’s not pleasant to have after seeing a neighbor die from it.

Now you got me very intrigued over K2.

12. Hillary on April 3, 2010 at 08:03

I really do not think he was joking. I personally love some good deadpan humor, and that was NOT it. He honestly thinks islands float. Twenty bucks tells me this is not the first completely asinine thing he has said “on the record.”

• gallier2 on April 4, 2010 at 01:41

While the extrapolation of tipping the island if 8000 more troops are stationed on that island is definitly asinine and by seeing how he struggles with the numbers for the dimensions one can conclude that he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you would be surprized to learn that some islands do indeed float. Atolls (and only atolls) do in fact float as their sweet water reservoir provide the lift. Here a link where you can read the details
      The article was written in the context of the doom “predicted” by AGW proponents for island states like Tuvalu or the Maldives concerning sea level raise.

13. Susan on April 3, 2010 at 09:21

Richard, do you share Stephan’s concerns about supplementing K:

“I don’t support K2 MK-4 supplements because the manufacturer has not been able to assure me that they aren’t contaminated with unnatural isomers created during synthesis. Natural MK-4 is in a trans configuration, but synthetic may include both cis and trans.”

I know someone contacted Thorne about the unnatural isomers, but what about the LEF product? And, what the hell does that mean anyway?

• Richard Nikoley on April 4, 2010 at 12:20

I saw that in a comment, Susan, but haven’t looked into it.

Not sure what it means.

14. Lute Nikoley on April 3, 2010 at 16:33

Likewise here, been using it for about a year. Just today I oedered
    4 bottles of the LE F? Of course I had to cause gotta do like my son
    says, right? Just kidding, I owe my good health to his advise, not the
    bonehead dtrs.

15. Chaohinon on April 3, 2010 at 17:30

I didn’t watch the video, but maybe Hank was being metaphorical?

Stationing troops in the middle east, for example, is precisely the reason we’re so vulnerable to “terrorism”. They’re just stirring up the hornet’s nest.

I’d like to think that by, “tip over and capsize”, he means Guam’s citizens would get pissed about us planting a military force in their backyard (as they very well should be). But then again, I don’t have much faith in politicians being this smart about foreign policy…

• mallory on April 3, 2010 at 18:23

we didnt have troops in the middle east pre 911 when we got attacked. i’d say we are suseptable. now, im nt saying throw all troops over there but a middle east without some control is asking for attacks again. the “good” citizen over there are more than happy to have trops over there. thetaliban muslim terrorists oer there hate it, despise our troops, and plant car bombs and shrapnle everywhere. they are doing more harm to their own citizens terrorizing than our troops will ever do. they brought it on themselves

• Chaohinon on April 4, 2010 at 01:33

You are partially correct in that it isn’t link JUST to stationed troops. However, the middle east has suffered years, decades, of bombings, economic suffocation via embargoes, and U.S. funded overthrows.

Oddly enough, that kind of stuff tends to make people mad. I mean, if I lived in Nazi Germany or Stalin’s Russia, I wouldn’t hesitate to rig car bombs and cut off testicles. It’s a natural result of desperate people being pushed against a wall.

And I mean, 8000 troops on a little island? I hope the people of Guam have fun dealing with a bunch of drunken soldiers.

• Chaohinon on April 4, 2010 at 01:44

Also, when you blow up a school, a church goes up in its place. Using violence against people literally causes them to devolve, intellectually and morally. They’ve become precisely the monsters that “we” forced them to be.

• Lute Nikoley on April 4, 2010 at 08:07

The 8000 additional troops are not for the protection of Guam. The place puts them a little closer to the hot bed of the middle east.

And of course every problem around the world by fanatic dictators is the fault of the U.S.A. even when they are being liberated from murdering tyrants. How utterly stupid.

• Lucy on April 5, 2010 at 10:10

You really should watch the video. It’s one of those things that’s so ridiculous, you want it to be a metaphor, unfortunately on the video Hank uses some pretty specific, non metaphorical hand gestures to illustrate the capsizing.

16. 04/05/10 – on April 4, 2010 at 22:15

[…] Free the Animal – Links & Quick Hits […]

17. Eugene on April 15, 2010 at 09:09

FYI, you can buy Super K at iHerb for a pretty good price of $19.50, plus $5 off if it’s your first order and you use the code KOG379.