My Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Interview with Jimmy Moore

No need to expound upon it, other than that I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to my good buddy, Jimmy. One of the reasons I have never — and never will — engage, entertain, or suffer on my blog — "Jimmy bashing" — is because he’s a superstar. You don’t like his particular food choices? So?

Has he not brought you myriad alternatives via his podcasts? Respectfully? Professionally? Yes, he has.

One of my favorite parts of the interview is at the beginning, where he acknowledges that I’m a huge fan of the show. That’s absolutely true and I’ve put some money where my mouth is (after he invited me on). These things don’t get done for free, you know. So, please, if you like this, consider financial support. I’m sure anything helps.

So, anyway, listen here.

My take, having istened to it just now in our vacation place in San Diego? Way to many "y’knows," but, I was intent, and I believe was able to cover the gamut and, I’m really happy about that. One perhaps forgets the whole scope of something like a paleo lifestyle, and it was a pleasure to hear that we covered so much ground — rather than focussing in on one or a few elements of animals. So; if you will, the wide scope covered made this a rather distictive interview in my experience.

Thank you, jimmy moore. Anything you need, buddy, let me know (and I have an idea or two for the future). Onward.

Update: Man, I’ve been totally out of the loop while on vacation in San Diego for the last 24-hours. Just getting back on line. Here’s the link to Jimmy’s regular blog entry on the podcast.

1. Jimmy Moore on April 6, 2010 at 17:09

You did an amazing job, Richard! So articulate and likeable–a great combination for a podcast interview. THANK YOU for all that you are doing. Together we WILL change this world for the better.

• John Campbell on April 6, 2010 at 21:02

You two are changing the world for the better – present tense. Big jobs take time, but the momentum is building. Keep up the good work. Truth, beauty, love and freedom are too strong to resist.

2. suzan on April 6, 2010 at 17:11

I plan to listen later on. I really like Jimmy’s podcasts. My husband doesn’t have time to read, but he has listened to many of Jimmy’s interviews and he’s come on board with Primal eating because of them. Jimmy does a lot of good for the low-carb community. I’m grateful for his work.

3. Johnny on April 7, 2010 at 08:00

I’m not sure about the conspiracy. I don’t think there is one. I doubt that they know exactly the type of diet they suggest is bad but they do it anyway just to get some money.

I mean, I have read vegetarians writing that B12 is a conspiracy by the government and meat industry to gain profit (and have a little fun killing us all off slowly with meat?) by feeding us meat and making us think we need it. They say it is so blatantly obvious a vegetarian diet is the only natural diet for humans, it must be a conspiracy. They then say the only reason we eat meat at all is because someone gains money from it and they have grown roots so deep they have poisoned us and made us addicted to an unnatural substance to the point of everyone believing it is essential and giving us flesh-addiction. Meat would be banned otherwise, it is just covered up because of money.

Pretty much the same conspiracy theory over there.

I have watched a video where Dean Ornish, Taubes and an AHA representative sit at one table and discuss nutrition. Watch it here:

If they know they are giving us bad advice and are lying with a straight face just to get money, they are some damn good actors!

4. ToddBS on April 6, 2010 at 18:26

Did I get a hint in there that you’ve attended DLI at some point? I’m a DLI alumnus myself.

• Lute Nikoley on April 6, 2010 at 22:07

If DLI stands for Defense Laguage Institute, I’ll answer for Richard
      cause I am his proud dad, yes he did, more than twenty years ago.

• ToddBS on April 7, 2010 at 04:11

Indeed it does. I was there about… oh… 17 years ago. Guess we never crossed paths.

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 19:44

21 Years ago, June-Dec, 1989.

5. Michael on April 6, 2010 at 19:04

So that’s what you sound like! Nice to hear the voice behind the words.

6. Krys on April 6, 2010 at 19:24

Absolutely LOVED the interview. I seriously could have listened to you guys talk all day long. I can’t believe you withheld using the f-bomb! LOL Great job guys! Keep spreading the word!

7. Jeanie on April 6, 2010 at 20:07

Great job, Richard!

8. Tin Tin on April 6, 2010 at 22:48

Good interview Richard. You write well, but you speak better. BTW, is it my imagination or were those awkward silences from Jimmy every time you mentioned “real food”?

• Jimmy Moore on April 7, 2010 at 06:48

Tin Tin, what’s not “real food” about eating pastured eggs, grass-fed butter, and raw cheese?

• Sonagi on April 7, 2010 at 17:02

Hmmm, maybe Tin Tin was wondering about other food items included in your diet until recently and sold via links on your page. Many people, including myself, do not consider processed food products with long ingredient lists as “real food,” whether they are low-carb or not. My comment is intended as descriptive, not prescriptive. I myself sometimes eat food out of boxes and cans that came from factories.

• Jimmy Moore on April 7, 2010 at 18:13

Fair enough. But if you’ve been following my “eggfest” this past month, then you know it has done a lot of positive change in me. Go read for yourself at http://lowcarbmenu.blogspot.com. A major paradigm shift has happened for me.

• Tin Tin on April 10, 2010 at 23:18

Jimmy, just had a visit. That’s some hard-core egg fest. Nice work!

• Jimmy Moore on April 11, 2010 at 04:53

THANKS man! It REALLY changed my life and I’m now eating only real, whole foods all the time. Still keeping my carbs reduced, but not putting artificial ANYTHING in my mouth anymore. The “eggfest” made this possible for me to change my views about food.

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 19:47

Tin Tin:

I sensed no awkwardness in Jimmy at all. In fact, we had great banter both before and after the actual interview.

I think Jimmy is on a similar self-experimentation path as many of us have done. I feel like supporting him in that. How about everyone else?

• Tin Tin on April 10, 2010 at 23:13

Richard. Fair enough. I’m more than happy to take your word for it. You were there. All I had was the podcast.

9. epistemocrat on April 6, 2010 at 23:56

Nicely done, Richard.

Great threads on self-experimentation and falsifying hypotheses.

Best,

Brent

10. James on April 7, 2010 at 01:11

Great Interview!!!!!!! Very well done!!!

ALthough I thought you’d sound more like James Earl Jones…..

• Dave, RN on April 7, 2010 at 07:43

To the powers that be, he sounds more like Darth Vader…

11. Chris - ZTF on April 7, 2010 at 05:16

Great podcast. Richard you really come across well in Audio and should definitely look into some video uploads or podcasts in the future. Also thanks to Jimmy for interviewing the bloggers this week makes a welcome change…..

12. Mark on April 7, 2010 at 05:25

I’ve been anxiously waiting to hear your interview with Jimmy and it did not disappoint! Really, this was a great podcast – it felt more natural and conversational than usual.

Great stuff Richard and Jimmy.

13. Skyler Tanner on April 7, 2010 at 06:02

Hot pocket hate out of nowhere! I love it.

Were you birthday scotch’d? This interview was much looser than your Canadia interview.

Best,
    Skyler

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 19:51

Funny Skyler, because I definitely would have had a couple fingers of scotch in me, but this was 8am, and as much as I love my scotch, I simply cannot do morning alcohol, evert. No bloody marys, no belinis, or whatever.

On the other hand, I did have lubrication for the radio interview.

• Skyler Tanner on April 8, 2010 at 06:08

You had mentioned when you announced the interview that you might have some b’day scotch. 8am is too early unless you’re Irish, then it’s merely a hangover cure.

Best,
      Skyler

14. Laurie on April 7, 2010 at 06:37

You’re interview was spectacular. What you said at the end really rang true for me- that the current diet advice and the SAD is literally killing people. Wheat is Murder. I’m a mother (charged with feeding my family) and I’m also a biochemist. Until 6/16/ 2008 after I had just inhaled Taubes’ masterpiece, GCBC, I hadn’t known any of this. I was pissed as a parent and livid as a scientist that this was all new to me. I know the date I finished Taubes because it is now seared into my brain. I’ve read truck loads of books on the subject since and I have learned invaluable things from you, Jimmy, the Good Docs Eades and Kurt Harris and the vet Peter at Hyperlipid blog and the inimitable Tom Naughton at Fat Head. OMG.
    But what I’m writing about now is that the SAD is deadly. I work in the town where Phoebe Prince was bullied to death- South Hadley MA. I will step back a moment to say that I’m convinced that the SAD exacerbates ( or possibly causes) autism, obesity, diabetes, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, heart disease, depression, mental illness, anger, aggression, Lupus, MS, hoarding behavior and dementia, to name just a few problems. I also don’t want you to think for one microsecond that I’m suggesting that the bullies escape indictment, prosecution and/or punishment. I have lately had the experience when I talk to people about what I’m about to say that somehow I’m suggesting exoneration for the bullies….I’m not , OKAY!
    I have a co-worker who lives in town (I only work in S.H.) whose daughter went to elementary school with the main girl bully, Kayla Narey. I have heard from my co-worker that there may have been some signs of problems with her early on, but nothing outstanding. But then it made me think that although it’s possible Kayla grew up NOT eating SAD that because nearly 100% of us Americans do eat SAD (and I only just stopped a short two years ago) that I would be willing to wager that she did. It is beginning to dawn on me that SAD is the real culprit. Many millions of people eat the SAD and don’t develop any of these diseases or problems and don’t become bullies who drive a peer to kill herself, but I agree with you completely……these a…holes are killing people.

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 20:07

Laurie:

My wife is a school teacher and now having eaten mostly paleoish for a while, she is convinced most of the problems at school are tied to diet. She used to suffer asthma, various allergies — like to cats — panic attacks, anxiety, etc. Now, nothing. In fact, there’s some major life events going on in her family right now and she’s cool as can be.

• Sonagi on April 10, 2010 at 08:12

I’m a school teacher, too. Agree that the SAD causes behavior and learning problems in children but wouldn’t blame the problem of bullying on SAD. Bullies have been around for a long time and are found in cultures where people eat traditional diets with less processed food. Among cultures I have experienced personally, Korea and to a lesser extent Japan come to mind.

15. Brian on April 7, 2010 at 07:05

Hmmm…is your last name pronounced “Nicolai” or “Ni-KO-Lee”? I could have sworn it would be the latter.

Listing to podcast now…

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 20:09

Brian, the former, as in Lenin. Jimmy asked me specifically in the leadup to the formalities.

16. big boobs and big tits on April 7, 2010 at 07:08

Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.

17. Brian on April 7, 2010 at 08:39

Ok, just finished the podcast. You and Jimmy did a great job. One of the best questions (which I’m glad Jimmy asked) is why you’re different than DeVany, Sisson, et al. It took you a minute or two to get there, but your answer was perfect: you’re a regular guy whereas those guys were/are world class athletes. I think this is the critical, elevating distinction to explain the success of your site. I was once 240+, too. I’m sub-200 from Paleo. I feel more kinship with you and your success because of it (as opposed to a marathoner or world class athlete who went from “A-” health to “A+” health). Going from D or F to B+ is much more difficult.

18. Organic Gabe on April 7, 2010 at 09:06

Great interview! Very well done.
    I really liked the blood pressure part because I had the same problem, which is now normal, without any more meds.

19. Cynthia K. on April 7, 2010 at 09:18

Loved the interview!!!!! I think my favorite part was when Jimmy asked you about the frequent ranting. I expected you to respond with something like, “oh, you know, I’m an intense person, blah blah” –about yourself. Instead, you put the spotlight where it belongs — on the weapons of mass destruction! The white coats, the food pyramid, the garbage that so many incompetent bloggers “parrot” as you put it. Right on!

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 20:13

And, Cynthia, I must add…that a lot of bloggers are too shy, sissy or pussy about putting it out there as I do.

• Cynthia K. on April 9, 2010 at 07:29

Absolutely! And it’s definitely past time to go on the offensive. How many people have to die? (exerting myself to keep from breaking into PP&M song…. “how many deaths will it take til they know…”)

20. Sylvie O. on April 7, 2010 at 10:30

Merci beaucoup pour cette superbe entrevue. J’ai bien aimé apprendre à vous connaitre davantage et cela m’encourage à inclure plus d’expérince personelle dans mon blog.

(now everyone: raise your hand if you ever suspected that Richard spoke French – nice little secret of his… and I’ll bet he knows all the swear words!)

• gallier2 on April 7, 2010 at 12:41

Sachant qu’il a vécu deux en France avec des militaires Français, il était plus que probable qu’il puisse s’exprimer en français.

(knowing he lived for two years in France among French military, it was highly probable that he could express himself in French).

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 20:39

Here’s the short story, gallier.

The school, DLI, is an immersion course. We were only 10 students and had six native French speakers — including an American who taught French lit a la Sorbonne, and he was acknowledged by all the French folks to be the best. He was. Tony Omera.

Lisette, she was the French hippy. Loved them all. They all spoke to us in English for the foist two hours of day one, then hardly at all, ever, for six months. They made us all les enfants.

There was no emphasis on writing and I suck at it, in French, which is why I just hardly do it. Takes 10 times as long. They said: you already know how to write. Emphasis was on 1st, listening comp, then speaking. It was enough for me to go to France, work (with help), then rent an apartment and get phone, electric, gas, etc., all hooked up and unlike my five years prior in Japan, I could actually tell a phone bill from an electric bill. 🙂 There, I was fortunate to have a landlord to raid my mailbox, retrieve and pay my bills and present a monthly detailed invoice.

It took about six months to really begin getting familiar with the language and then, Gulf War one hit and I went along on the Colbert right behind the Clemenceau to deliver trucks and other equipment to Saudi Arabia. In the end, I was 60 days at sea continuously, save for 5 days in Djibouti (good food, coffee!).

In the end, I went for two months not speaking a word of English and this really solidified the thing for me. When I got back and called family, I had some difficulty thinking. I was fully thinking in French by then, dreaming, too.

I had a wonderful time. There is probably nothing I love more in the world than a true French dinner party. There is nowhere you get _unafriaid_, frank, lively conversation like that, no matter the subject.

I left in 1992, so coming up on 20 years. I’ve been back twice (three weeks a coupla years ago). It takes about three days to get back in the swing of the language and I love it.

Some days I go on my morning dog walk and resolve to talk to myself in French the whole time. Maybe that’s why I still dream in French from time to time.

• gallier2 on April 8, 2010 at 05:00

Interesting, thank you for the anecdote. FYI I’m bilingual french and german and live culturaly between both countries. In fact I should add Luxembourg to the story as I work there at the EU Commission in the translation directorate, so multilingualism is my daily occupation. Furthermore my wife comes from Africa, so there is even more “exotism” in my life. This said, military is interesting in the fact that it represents the quintessential formalisation of a culture. I served only the 1 year I had to in the FFA (Forces Française en Allemagne) which was quite rich, my bilingualism allowed me to be valuable to Officers, who wouldn’t mingle with conscripts otherwise. This allowed me to participate in different inter-allies meetings and other manifestations.

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 20:15

Sylvie:

Mon favorite: “va te faire enculer.”

21. Laurie Lentz-Marino on April 7, 2010 at 12:50

Please, I respectfully apologize if anyone thinks I’m accusing all (or most) nutritionists and researchers and doctors of conspiracy to poison us or of being knowing killers by acting as purveyers of the current directive to eat low-fat, high-carb diets. I believe that most of them are acting to the best of their knowledge and many have no idea of the dangers. Dr Ravenskov is coming out with a new book exploring how he thinks the cholesterol myth has been able to persist against much good and compelling evidence to the contrary.
    I think the ‘cholesterol and dietary fat causes heart disease’ intractable scam doesn’t need any advocates and has no need for conspiracy to explain its continuation. It has weird propulsion and momentum all on its own. There was a probable single originator, Dr Ancel Keys, whom Dr Kurt Harris refers to as “ that homicidal fraud Ancel Keys”, but I think when it took hold haphazadly it gained a life of its own. Money, profit, new industries and grant funding and all sorts of other things kept (and keep) it humming along.
    I am also catagorically not against free markets and profits. I’m thankful for modern, western medicine and pharmaceuticals. But, as illustrated by the BIG PHARMA Vytorin scandal and the purported $30 billion in extra revenue they earned by sitting on the damaging study data for an extra 2 years after some higher-up knew about it already…..well, that ticks me off and smacks of conspiracy to commit murder.

22. John Campbell on April 7, 2010 at 14:53

Masterful interview by you both – intelligent, well paced, relaxed etc etc. I could listen to a few more hours of it.

Richard, you speak very well and you really should consider podcasts when you have the time. Cooking videos would be great. I look forward to buying your book in the future. I would be happy to support cooking podcasts as well – I dunno – subscriptions or something. I would love to get more detail on your techniques and recipes and would be happy to pay for it.

• Mark on April 7, 2010 at 15:09

I second John’s proposal – cooking videos would be great (especially those sauces you come up with).

23. Nathaniel on April 7, 2010 at 16:10

Hi Richard – I have to agree with the others here who say that you are just as entertaining in audio as you are in your blog posts – you may have a future in podcasting.

Overall, this was a great interview because you could truly sense the mutual respect between you and Jimmy. That makes a big difference.

24. Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2010 at 19:40

Greetings, all.

Man, I’ve been out of the loop on vacation in San Diego since listening to the podcast yesterday afternoon, blogging it and heading out to “Top of the Market” at the Fish Market restaurant last night with four family members driving down from Vista to join us. If you want to know, I had tuna tartar, seared hamachi, then king crab legs (and a few scotches). Ended up getting back to the hotel around 10, then heading out on my own on foot into the gasslamp and a couple more scotches at the Gasslamp Tavern.

Had to stay up until 3am until I felt digested enough to go to sleep. Got up at 8:40 in order to get to the zoo shortly after opening. I last saw the SD Zoo in ’84 and it’s a whole different world, now. Very impressive, we ended up staying almost all day, then drove up the coast until we got to Carlsbad and had to stop for oysters on the half shell and, yes, a couple of afternoon scotches….

Anyway, thank you all for your kind, kind, kind comments. I’m really blown away. You know, I really loved doing this. So, all the calls for podcasts or Utube are being considered. I’lll think about it. How about “The Scotch Minute?”

Now, I’ll go an answer a few specific questions.

25. […] Nikoley did a great interview with Jimmy Moore of “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” fame (who also just completed a temporary all egg […]

26. Ned Kock on April 8, 2010 at 09:00

Excellent interview Richard!

I personally think you are better off self-publishing your book, and promoting it through your site. With 200,000 visits or so per week, you don’t need a publisher.

Self-publishing a book with 200 pages or so in printed-online format, with entries on Amazon.com and other sites, will cost you about $1,000.

By the way, here is a request for a post, a discussion on the hormone adiponectin. I have been posting on this for a while, and I am starting to think it is as vital to good healthy as leptin and insulin:

You have been increasing your adiponectin levels big time, I would guess, in the last few years.

Very few people achieve the weight loss that you have, and maintain it.

Some do lose a lot of weight, but fall into the trap of binging on refined carbs. at a time when their bodies are very sensitive to carb. intake, putting on fat quickly and reducing adiponectin levels very fast.

27. Skyler Tanner on April 8, 2010 at 12:54

I now have a flap steak going in the sous vide magic thanks to you. Looks delightful.

28. ChrisG on April 8, 2010 at 14:19

I enjoyed this one enormously – you & Jimmy made a good team. This one was better than the radio one, probably because the interviewer actually knew what the heck you’re talking about. Talking to “outsiders” is a tougher game – it helps to have a “spiel” that you can proclaim glibly – which isn’t exactly your style, which is more thoughtful & explanatory.

Great ranting too. Nobody does that as well as you. 😀

29. Michael Patton on April 8, 2010 at 15:57

Hello Richard,
    I think what Brian said is very true. “Going from an F or D to a B+ is much more difficult.” I too am a recent convert to Paleo, 51 years old, started off at 280 pounds last September on insulin Type II with blood sugars in the 200 to 300’s before insulin. Now, 225 pounds, no insulin, feel much like I felt when in my 20’s. I love Mark’s Daily Apple and all the other bloggers. I do enjoy your blog for your humor and knowledeable posts, and you are easier for me to relate to. Thanks for all you do, it is appreciated.

30. Melissa on April 8, 2010 at 20:45

I recently started watching Jimmy Moore on youtube and I think he’s a great person.
    It’s not about perfection it’s about progress.
    So even though some people point out that they don’t like what Jimmy uses or what gets promoted it doesn’t mean that he isn’t contributing a great amount of knowledge through his podcast!
    I mean he’s interviewed people all over the scope in terms of diet and health so he’s definitely not just promoting his own policies.
    I also listened to Richards interview with Jimmy and you were great! That’s how I found this site 🙂

31. Mike on April 9, 2010 at 12:08

Love the interview. I’ve been one of those that have dropped your blog for a period of time because I thought you were too harsh, but I keep coming back out of curiosity and always find new and interesting information. I’ll buy your book, and if I don’t like it, it’ll end up in the local library.

On a different subject: I’ve noticed a correlation between paleo/primal bloggers and libertarian spirit. I’d like to see that addressed by someone. I haven’t seen any primal bloggers asking for universal health care.

• Richard Nikoley on April 9, 2010 at 12:20

Thanks, Mike. That’s why I like to mix things up.

My next post actually kicks off a multi-part series on digestion, metabolism, body temp and related areas from an evolutionary perspective rather than a thermometer under the armpit every morning. 🙂

For libertarian mentions, search that term and others like anarchism using the search function.

I hope to get part I of that series up later today.

• Cynthia K. on May 4, 2010 at 05:24

Even if Universal Health Care wasn’t about theft, which it is, I would still oppose it on the grounds that it will always be about paying for drugs and expensive tests, not health promotion and true disease prevention. But yeah – libertarianism and paleo eating have something in common: Reason. 🙂