Protein Power #FAIL

From my friend Julie, who did the paleo meal for Bea & I last summer.

Power Protein
"Power Protein"

A bagel, apple slice, and grapes. Oh, yea, and a hard boiled egg….one hard boiled egg. Man, what Protein Power.

I could have also titled it Starbucks Fail.

1. Julie on April 12, 2010 at 22:53

I got such a kick out of this! I mean…a bagel?? Seriously??

2. Dave C. on April 12, 2010 at 19:10

Yeah, I think Starbucks #Fail would have been more appropriate. The first thing I thought when I read the title was that you were ragging on the Eades for something. But, well that wouldn’t seem probable, knowing your relationship.

3. Taylor O on April 12, 2010 at 19:14

They put a small thing of peanut butter in as well for the bagel… hence “protein.”

Let’s give them a hint if it had to be absolutely had to be prepared ahead of time:
    -Grass Fed Organic Beef Jerky or better yet, no fruit pemmican
    –Pasture raised chicken egg patty
    -Small packet of almonds
    -Very small amount of berries… like 3

Instead it’d be a whole lot better if it was just freshly made with real ingredients right there. Put that ‘advanced’ supply chain to use and deliver some quality food not crap.

4. Danielle on April 12, 2010 at 19:25

They must still think corn is a vegetable.

5. GIGI on April 12, 2010 at 20:23

OMG That’s the funniest thing ever! Wow, and people WONDER why some people are so uneducated in the nutrition department!!!

6. scott miller on April 12, 2010 at 21:40

Starbucks called it Power Protein, and your headline reads Protein Power, which is the name of Dr. Eades’ book. When I first saw your headline on FB, I thought, “Whoa, another blog war!” 😉

7. Gina on April 12, 2010 at 22:48

Confirmation!
    I often think everyone “gets it” well as we can see Starbucks needs a *little* more nutrition education. Any volunteers? 😉
    Seriously though….imagine if they “got it” and offered a few selections someone like me could grab in a pinch!

Like how about a blueberry Pemmican with my latte breve grande!

8. Chris Sturdy on April 12, 2010 at 22:49

But hey, the bagel is “whole wheat”. That’s a good thing, right? ;^)

I think I’ll stick to the coffee and cream on my Starbucks visits. Lots of cream.

• Dave, RN on April 13, 2010 at 11:14

I asked for coffee with nothing but cream, and lots of it at a Starbucks in California (Huntington Beach) a few weeks ago. My mistake was looking away when they made it. It was just a cup of coffee piled high with whipped cream from an airesol can.

• Gina on April 13, 2010 at 12:10

you need to order a “Breve” 🙂

• Chris Sturdy on April 13, 2010 at 13:03

I was just at Starbucks (in St. Albert, Alberta) on Sunday night and asked for lots of room for cream. The barista gave me a grande in a venti cup (nice) and then I asked for the real (18%) cream that they had hidden away in the cooler, not the half and half they had out, and filled up the last inch of so of the cup with it. No one really gets what I actually mean when I say “lots” of cream. Gotta do it yourself.

• Gina on April 13, 2010 at 15:32

and what I do love about Starbucks is they are happy to accommodate you! Cream, room, hotter and so on with out batting an eye. I don’t get that everywhere 🙂
      They may not *get it* but they sure don’t mind making what you ask for.

9. Nathaniel on April 13, 2010 at 00:07

I have just one thing to say…

“Where’s the BEEF?”

Oh wait, meat isn’t fashionable these days. I just made a faux pas.

10. Aaron Curl on April 13, 2010 at 03:24

Come on there’s probably 8 grams of good protein and low fat in that bage…..lol…nevermind the 40 some carbs. I haven’t eaten a bagel in over a year….don’t miss em either. Most CW Starbucks goers will be jumping all over that awesome protein pack before they go to the gym and do some obsessive cardio, and then load up on some pasta to “refuel”……lol

11. suzan on April 13, 2010 at 04:55

From your headline I thought you were talking about the Protein Power diet.

They should have added another egg and left out the bagel.

12. Tim Rangitsch on April 13, 2010 at 05:36

Above link has the nutritional breakdown.

And I’d wager more than one Starbucks customer will not eat the yolk either!

13. Nicole on April 13, 2010 at 05:59

While I agree that considering a whole wheat bagel a protein source is comical, if you read the label in the photo, it also contains cheddar cheese.

I remember when Starbucks had one of those trays with cheese, an artichoke heart, olives and salami. The only thing I didn’t eat from that was a little packet of breadsticks. That was, of course, discontinued. It sold out at my local Starbucks every day, generally by 10:30. Obviously, they didn’t want to keep selling that!

14. Monica Hughes on April 13, 2010 at 07:21

This drives me nuts and you took the words right out of my mouth. I have once stopped to buying the “protein power” plate just for the eggs, while in a rush, and threw practically everything else out: obviously the PB and bagel.

15. Monica Hughes on April 13, 2010 at 07:35

What’s even sadder than the protein power plate, though? The fact that it is IS the healthiest thing other than coffee that is sold at Starbucks. And THAT is what is really pathetic.

• John Campbell on April 13, 2010 at 10:29

You are right. That’s why I love to run on fat. Intermittent fasting is a way of life for me. I never need a snack. If a good one is available – great – indulge. But a cup of coffee keeps me going with lots of heavy cream. In Canada, coffee cream which is 18% fat, is more available – half n half almost seems like milk to me now. My preference is whipping cream.

The ability to run with no food is great for traveling – airports have expensive junk and even a full day of traveling requires only coffee or tea. But always cream! I should carry a thermos of whipping cream – if only there weren’t those damn liquid restrictions for carry-on.

16. Organic Gabe on April 13, 2010 at 08:16

Sad, pathetic and idiotic.

Having said that, businesses rely on “supply and demand” – how many people would grab a low-carb snack plate versus how many would take the low-fat plate …

17. Bonnie on April 13, 2010 at 08:41

Hah. This reminds me of my boss, who is newly pregnant, fat, and worried about gestational diabetes. She recently attended a low-carb information seminar where they cooked and served vegetable lasagna, a potato dish, and fruit tarts! I did venture to ask why they would serve and discuss only foods which are basically carb-only at such an event, but it didn’t seem like she or her husband understood the question…

18. Dave, RN on April 13, 2010 at 11:30

I just snuck a look at one of our employees “Lean Cuisine” frozen dinner. She’s trying to lose weight… She eats one of these every day. I stopped where it said “55 grams of carbs”.
    I’ve come to the conclusion that *most* people won’t learn on their own and choose to believe marketing, usually as a way of justifying what they want to eat, as opposed to how they should.

Richard, one of these days, do a rip roar’n smack-down on the ADA diet. I was on their discussion board (just try’n to help you know) and suggested to a newly diagnosed type 2 to adopt a paleo diet. I was called a “dangerous extremest” by others on the board…

19. Travis on April 17, 2010 at 13:38

If anyone ever puts together a Paleo lifestyle book of jokes, that picture should be in it! :-))

20. Blog-watch: protein on May 27, 2010 at 13:03

[…] for a bit of comedy, somebody sent Richard Nikoley a photo of the Starbucks “Power Protein Plate” containing a small piece of cheddar cheese, a slice of apple, a hard-boiled egg, some grapes, a […]