Recent Meals and a Surpise

I’ll start with the surprise! Yesterday afternoon I had the pleasure of doing a 35 minute video interview & conversation with Mark Sisson. It’s all in split screen which has some drawbacks which I’ll write about when I publish it. So check back later for that. I’m mashing video now.

In the meantime, here’s some samples of my current meals. In this program I’m undergoing, nothing is fixed. Some days are lower in fat and higher in carbs and others, the reverse. Let’s jump right in. As always, click on the images for hi-res.

The scramble is just roast beef, onions & tomato scrambled up with some eggs.

Roast Beef Scamble
Roast Beef Scramble

Chioppino
Cioppino

A cinch to prepare. Left over roast beef with a sweet. Put the potato in the oven at 400 for an hour, and then prep your beef with a drizzle of stock in an aluminum foil wrap on a plate and put in the oven for the last 15 minutes. Talk about 1 minute prep time.

Roast Beef Sweet Potato
Roast Beef Sweet Potato

Grilled ahi tuna, and in the meantime, a chicken stock reduction with a little butter, a little slurried potato starch to thicken, and my favorite: tarragon.

Ahi Tuna Taragon
Ahi Tuna Tarragon

This one was done sous vide, 122F for 45 minutes, then seared.

Ahi Tuna Sous Vide
Ahi Tuna Sous Vide

1. Chris Sturdy on April 28, 2010 at 13:30

These all look great. It’s nice to see that I am not the only one who throws a bunch of stuff together in a pan and calls it a meal like your roast beef scramble. I did something like this about a week ago with a bunch of leftover baked sole, walleye, quinoa, broccoli and egg. It turned out pretty well but wasn’t so much to look at.

2. fireandstone on April 28, 2010 at 13:34

“This was scallops, shrimp, calamari and cod all done up in a bottled cioppino sauce I found with exclusively real ingredients. Nothing unpronounceable.”

Cioppino sauce in a bottle? That’s more unforgivable than eating a potato.

• Richard Nikoley on April 28, 2010 at 13:41

Does it help that it was imported from Italy?

• fireandstone on April 28, 2010 at 14:02

Hey now…Cioppino is a SF/Bay Area dish. You’ve lived in Monterey man, you should know better! Come back out and eat some real deal Cioppino at Phil’s Fish Market. 😉

3. troglo on April 28, 2010 at 13:44

Hey Richard

I just saw this link and thought people interested in the sous-vide method might want to check it out, it explains a great hack using a beer cooler, hopefully you haven’t seen it yet:

• Richard Nikoley on April 28, 2010 at 13:54

Saw it the other day. Looking forward to trying it out camping.

4. Ben Wheeler on April 28, 2010 at 15:12

That video will be sweet! Mash quickly!

• Richard Nikoley on April 28, 2010 at 15:22

Working on it. Mashup (not too much) is done, and now exporting to a format I can hopefully upload to Vimeo. But I’m in export hell, right now. “About an hour to go.” That could mean anything, in my experience.

5. mallory on April 28, 2010 at 18:35

wow good timin i have a big tuna steak in the fridge!

6. Bill on April 28, 2010 at 23:06

That all looks really good. If you want to save a bit more time, whole potatoes cook really well in the microwave. Prick them with a fork or knife several times, then microwave for five minutes or so. They come out really good. I like mine with sour cream and salsa. Not sure how orthodox potatoes and dairy is for some paleo folks, but it’s yummy and filling.

7. Primal Toad on May 2, 2010 at 06:51

Love your food ideas. I am also one who just throws thing together and creates meals as I go. I am becoming more and more creative and will have photos up soon!

8. Luke on May 2, 2010 at 08:55

Everything looks so delicious! I can’t wait to have a kitchen again this summer (when I return home from school ).