Weekend Inspiration: Michelle Matangi and The Primal Blueprint on New Zealand TV

How about Mark Sisson’s The Primal Blueprint showing up on a New Zealand morning news show featuring one of Mark’s big success stories? I checked Mark’s results pages to see if Michelle Matangi was already there and she’s on page one about halfway down with lots of photos. She’s has also shown up here a time or two in comments. Here’s the before & after they showed on the program.

Michelle Matangi Before After
Michelle Matangi, Before After

And now go take a look at the program. It’s a real hoot with an obviously overweight female host trying to hide her horror over Michelle’s advocacy of arterycloggingsaturatedfat and then the idea that she doesn’t need carbs and in particular, from hearthealthywholegrains.

In the end, to my eye, Michelle ends up looking like a competent success story who could help others, whereas the dumbshit conventional "wisdom" regurgitator comes off looking like the ignorant puppet she is.

In fact, Michelle can help others and has set out to do so via her own blog: Primal Journey. Go give her a visit and tell her how great she did in that interview.

1. Janet (Pantry Bites) on April 24, 2010 at 12:38

I live in New Zealand so I know how much New Zealand as a nation embraces the low fat whole wheat diet. I think Michelle did a great job trying to de-mystifying the fat phobia and focus on real whole foods.

One of the best selling magazine here is the Healthy Food Guide which promotes low fat, whole grain diet. Check it out at http://www.healthyfood.co.nz. It’s definitely challenging standing up against magazines such as this.

2. Spencer on April 24, 2010 at 14:10

Haha! Lol’d when the host asked her if she ate biscuits. She sure looks like she enjoys her hearthealthywholewheatgoodies..

Good on you, Michelle!

3. Jamie on April 24, 2010 at 14:27

Ditto what Janet said… as a university trained nutritionist in New Zealand, I am way out in leftfield from my profession by actively prescribing primal diets. And Michelle’s awesome success story speaks for itself as to why I do! Well done Michelle – you are a true inspiration. Will be sure to get your story & photos up on my blog soon!

4. Michelle Matangi on April 24, 2010 at 14:38

Wow Richard, thanks so much for posting this!! It was truly awesome to be able to shed some light on the Primal Blueprint and hopefully inspire others to change their lives for the better. Thanks Janet, I used to read that magazine, not anymore LOL. Spencer the funny thing is before the interview in the green room she was eating a biscuit! Jamie that’s awesome that your a trained nutritionist teaching the Primal way, awesome stuff!!

• Richard Nikoley on April 24, 2010 at 16:41

Michelle:

Your progress and that of the young woman right above your transformation on Mark’s pages is truly astounding.

You are a most spectacular abasador, not only for paleo / primal, but for women in particular.

• Michelle Matangi on April 24, 2010 at 16:59

Thank you so much Richard, it’s so wonderful to be able to inspire others as you do also, your transformation is incredible and I love reading your site. I do hope that women come to realise that eating fat is crucial to great health.

• Richard Nikoley on April 24, 2010 at 17:50

You must get on Oprah. It’s a fat chance, but everyone ought to drop a suggestion on Oprah’s site.

I’m going to. You never know.

• Michelle Matangi on April 24, 2010 at 18:04

Imagine that! I love Oprah 🙂 And your right you never know, I had no idea I would be on TV!

• Sue on April 25, 2010 at 06:24

Well done Michelle. Tried to comment on your site but it doesn’t seem to work for me anymore.

• Michelle Matangi on April 25, 2010 at 12:42

Thanks sue, I’ve tried to fix it now so there shouldn’t be a problem, sorry about that.

5. Prue on April 24, 2010 at 15:07

Well done Michelle. You totally outshone her with good health and commonsense.
    Jamie – I’d like a link to your blog please. We have a low carb/primal/paleo site here in NZ and all are welcome. http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz

• Jamie on April 25, 2010 at 12:57

Prue…. go for it!! I’d by honored.

• Jamie on April 25, 2010 at 13:00

Sorry – forgot the link! http://www.primalmuse.blog.com

6. Austin on April 24, 2010 at 16:57

Great job Michelle. Your story on Mark’s Daily Apple was one of those that helped to keep me going when I was trying to lose weight last year.

And, I’ve seen more fat RDs than I care to count.

7. Lou on April 24, 2010 at 21:02

you never know. Oprah did say something about vitamin D being good for you. The problem is that people around her can screw things up. Oprah is the queen when it gets product on the market.

8. Gina on April 24, 2010 at 22:42

Amazing Michelle what a spokeswoman for the real food way of living. Congratulations and best wishes with your new business!

9. Michelle Matangi on April 25, 2010 at 12:44

Thanks Prue, the look on her face was priceless, the face I saw that wasn’t on camera anyway lol
    That’s awesome Austin, so stoked!
    Lou I can just dream 🙂
    Thanks Gina for your best wishes!

10. TrailGrrl on April 25, 2010 at 12:56

Great interview. Thanks for posting the link Richard. Way to advocate, Michelle. She did look appalled about the bacon, and the lack of biscuits (she means “cookies,” right? not like biscuits and gravy). People have a hard time getting around the grain issue… even that whole grains aren’t great. They always want to say you need fiber.

TrailGrrl

11. Chris Sturdy on April 25, 2010 at 13:53

“But don’t you need carbohydrates?” LOL! Good job Michelle! Way to represent!

12. Rick on April 25, 2010 at 14:52

Great job! You had that interviewer turning green with envy!

13. golooraam on April 26, 2010 at 17:55

one word: ‘yowza’!

great job

14. Lovely Lentilla on April 27, 2010 at 07:38

You did so well Michelle, I wanted to comment at your site, but had difficulties for some reason, so I hope you don’t mind Richard, if I post my congratulations here.
    There were some moments in that interview which if you hadn’t kept your cool so brilliantly, it could have gone badly, but you were fantastic.

15. Elliot on April 27, 2010 at 09:03

My wife sent this video, which is anti-Paleo propaganda. It isn’t even funny because so much of it has no basis in reality.

Anyone know how to reply to that video with a link to this?

• Richard Nikoley on April 27, 2010 at 09:16

There’s a comment reply form on YouTube.

But I wouldn’t waste my time. The guy is obviously a deranged, abject moron. That, or a good actor.

• Elliot on April 27, 2010 at 13:18

I thought about the possibility of this being a double-reverse parody, but then I saw this guy’s other videos about the supremacy of raw veganism.

You’re right about the comments. So many articles on diet or politics or other subjects have comment sections which are flooded by abject ignorance and stupidity. It’s like shouting down the surf.

I just wonder what drove this guy to spend so much time putting on makeup, buying a steak he won’t eat, and so forth. Bizarre!

16. Michelle Matangi on April 27, 2010 at 16:22

Thanks so much to all of you and your wonderful comments, it’s great to have soo much support!!

17. Flying Burrito on April 27, 2010 at 18:58

Eloquent and well said, Michelle, especially responding so clearly and emphatically that it is a “lifestyle” not a diet! I can’t count how many times I have had to politely redirect the tendency for most people to incorrectly pigeonhole my Paleo lifestyle into some quirky fad…but there’s strength in numbers and our numbers are growing, right (or more specifically, grokking? Ho-ho.)? And there’s nothing better than showing not telling–people can’t believe it seems as though I’m doing absolutely nothing and just magically losing the blubber and appearing to materialize into fit shape and that very fine space cadet glow of being healthy and energized. It is a little like magic, isn’t it?! Just finished The Primal Blueprint myself…

• Flying Burrito on April 27, 2010 at 19:04

Is it okay to say here that another cool byproduct of living Paleo is not just getting in good shape but also having good (or better) skin?