Blog Sucks, So Here’s Lucinda Willams

Ha! Well continuing on the theme for now (it’s not going to suck for long, and I only judge by my own standards — but thanks to those who’ve contradicted me).

Moving on, here’s what I’m listening to as I’m cooking, right now — ahi grade beef filets for Bea & I, sous vide, rare, later to be seared — and I’m doing a demi-glace. (yea, pics…OK) Later, we’ll do the American Idol Results (yep, basically watched every episode of every season — I love, celebrate and honor dreams). Lee or Crystal. For the first year ever, I’ll be totally happy with either. Argument for both: Lee for amazingly best improvement ever; Crystal for finding (again) who she really was at the end (and — who she was — was amazing to start with). I never vote, anymore. But I’d have had to vote for both of them.

Some country I just love, and this is one. Lucinda (HT: my buddy Robert, for turning me on to it, whom I just stood up for a Giants game in SF, Lincecum pitching, even).

Just trying to keep you guessing. Maybe…Arabic Rock next time? They’ve really got "the beat," you know. Check it out.

1. Anthony Michael on May 26, 2010 at 18:47

I’m digging the eclectic music links lately, Richard. Good stuff.

Can’t believe you aren’t going to see the Gyros tonight–with Lincecum pitching! Oh well, you can always Tivo it and enjoy the seared filets and AI combo. Enjoy!

2. Hans Keer on May 26, 2010 at 22:25

J’ai envie. You could say: “I feel like” 😉

VBR
    Hans from France

• Richard Nikoley on May 26, 2010 at 23:53

Actually, far closer would be: “I have a passion to…”.

Agreed?

• Hans Keer on May 27, 2010 at 00:16

I would say that the French “j’ai envie” is still a rather neutral expression without too much excitment. J’ai envie d’aller à l’école. J’ai envie de manger.

I would translate “I have a passion to ….” like this “je suis passionné de ….” or “je suis excité de ….”

But I’m not English or American, perhaps the problem is that I do not understand what it is exactly what you want to express.

• Richard Nikoley on May 27, 2010 at 07:32

No Hans, the opposite. I’m American but lived in France and that was one of those oft used phrases that was strange to me for the very reason that we use the concept of envy in a very different way.

Kind of like jealousy, but actually, more destructive in intention, typically.

Anyway, it was something that I got used to using while at the same time, always felt a bit odd using it. Of course, not the only thing. The verb “regarder” comes to mind, as do a few others.

At any rate, “I feel like” didn’t cut it. Perhaps, “I’d like,” but I can’t recall “je voulerai” — which isn’t even exact — voulour: “want” — being used that much. Then again, it has been 18 years since I moved.

• Richard Nikoley on May 27, 2010 at 18:00

Hans. Sorry. Stupid argument on my part. Have edited the post but left your comments intact.

• Hans Keer on May 27, 2010 at 21:52

No worries Richard. I envy you for you succedful blog :). VBR Hans

3. Robert C on May 27, 2010 at 18:12

Well, you did well missing the ballgame. Very lackluster play although any game in that ballpark is an event. Had a great time in spite of your absence.