“We’ll See You on Friday, For Bullshit!”

A new video, less than 3 minutes long, announcing a new and very serious program.

Bullshit! from Richard Nikoley on Vimeo.

Get your submissions in by late Thursday night, please. I’ll likely record each of the BS messages from the megaphone in some sort of audio only, unless you think I ought to do them in video separately (speak!), with some weird face or comment. One BS message per article and I’ll chose which I think is the most apropos.

1. Dexter on May 4, 2010 at 16:41

I think Dr. Davis review of “heart healthy cereals” as portrayed by the American Heart Association and the USDA might be a good start.

But no more CocoPuffs as heart healthy? We are making progress.

2. Jim on May 4, 2010 at 16:25

Video is the hot ticket, but you need to kick it up a notch… look at the green screen stuff, there are some great tutorials on youtube on how to set it up and light it… the back light is important…

The difference in a good green screen and seeing your blinds and cluttered shelves is HUGE.

Once you adopt the background tech, you can then do the overlays and other fancy stuff.

Funny video, but with an awkward start. Don’t be afraid to make a 2nd take

3. Lute Nikoley on May 4, 2010 at 16:32
  4. Laurie D. on May 4, 2010 at 16:35

You’re a nut. I mean that in a nice primal nut sort of way.

5. Michael on May 4, 2010 at 18:02

Darya Pino has a “BS of the week” link but this is going a few steps beyond just providing a link. 🙂

6. Garth Whelan on May 4, 2010 at 18:17

Thanks! I’ve been wanting you to do this for a while. Just look at yahoo for most bs health advice. Looking good and nice tattoo!

7. Neil Fraser-Smith on May 4, 2010 at 18:33

OMG, what next Richard, a podcast? Love it. Well done. I can see the post in 12 months. “Let’s have a look back at that first tentative video, we’ve come a long way since then.”

8. Bay area Sparky on May 4, 2010 at 18:40

Great idea! Another reason to look forward to Fridays. And a great move for the blog.

9. Garth Whelan on May 4, 2010 at 18:53

Sorry this isn’t bs but evidence for eating meat. http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8651000/8651148.stm a group of monkeys that normally only eat grass now are living off locusts after a swarm. It seems most primates love protein and animal flesh better than plants. take that vegans!

10. slowe on May 4, 2010 at 18:56

You kill me. I think that horn was made just for you. If I see one, I have several friends that would really enjoy it as well.

Sorry no bullshit to submit but I’ll keep my eyes open. Does it have to be nutrition related? I’d love to hear you go off on so many topics….

• Richard Nikoley on May 5, 2010 at 07:46

yea, let’s keep it health, fitness, nutrition related and to keep the suspense I’d prefer the stuff to be emailed to me, not put in comments.

11. arlojeremy on May 4, 2010 at 18:59

What webcam are you using, btw?

Looking forward to Fridays now.

• Richard Nikoley on May 5, 2010 at 07:50

It’s the iSight on Apple’s 24″ LED Cinema Display. When I did the capture in iMovie I selected for it to do stabilization which I guess is why it looks like the camera is panning around somewhat. Kinda cool.

12. Jeanie on May 4, 2010 at 19:00

Too funny! Where can I get one of those?! I nominate Meme Roth for bullshitter extraordinaire. Reference Tom Naughton’s blog for appropriate outrageousness.

• Richard Nikoley on May 5, 2010 at 07:51

Looks like you can get ’em from Amazon.

13. Al Ciampa on May 4, 2010 at 19:22

You’re fucking funny as fuck, Richard!

I vote to keep the “from my home” appearance. Don’t get too technical as it goes against your sort of grain. I like and can relate to your story and attitude. As I mentioned on Dr. Harris’s blog, I’m coming out of hiding and going to begin at least commenting on the important blogs that I have been lurking on for years.

I like the Bullshit Friday’s thing, but do not have anything to offer because I usually ignore that crap. However, as part of my exercise science studies, I need to take a nutrition course, and I’m fucking certain that that will lead to as many studies, articles, and essays full of bullshit that we can all handle.

Keep on keepin’ on. Thanks for your good work.

Al

14. bart on May 4, 2010 at 20:02

make sure you sugar coat with a few F bombs 😉

15. Melissa on May 5, 2010 at 13:41

I was reading Tom Naughtons blog and he alerted me to one of biggest bunch of BS I’ve heard lately. The “Nuval” System that is suppose to help people choose foods better in the grocery store!

Check out the vid on youtube, it’s rather ridiculous!

16. Byron on May 5, 2010 at 03:10

Love that horn!
    Looking forward Friday´s BS winner. Great idea. More tech stuff would not cooperate with your authentic style. Others have enough upgraded videos but mostly no real substance.

17. Aaron Curl on May 5, 2010 at 03:31

Can I just give you a link from 180 degree health every friday for the entire next year? Everything he says is BULLSHIT! I don’t know why I read the shit…..I guess I like to get all pissed off!

• Elliot on May 5, 2010 at 08:38

Dammit, I wish I knew about that website before I created my own blog called “My Diet 180°” on my experience with the Evolutionary Fitness approach. Makes me want to come up with a new name now.

• Aaron (halotek) on May 5, 2010 at 12:26

While Matt goes a bit too far sometimes, he recommends veggies/fruit/meat/fish/tubers <— you can minimize starches if you have blood sugar problems, low polyunsaturated diet, low processed food diet. Can I be enlightened on how this is bullshit?

• Aaron Curl on May 6, 2010 at 03:42

He does? High everything diet? Milk diet? Please! He said he followed a paleo diet but had problems….he did it for a month? I takes several months to break the carb and grain addiction! Measure your body temperature and go hang out on his blog. I don’t just find one blog and worship one blog….I read many blogs and read scientific studies and have come up with what I and many others KNOW is the truth! So, I don’t need to take my temperature and eat everything all the time to “fix” my metabolism.

• Russ on May 7, 2010 at 12:42

Yes. He does. If you read more than 2 or 3 posts you would know this. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

18. Mark on May 5, 2010 at 04:59

lol. love it.

19. Ned Kock on May 5, 2010 at 06:59

This is my entry Richard – Obesity protects against disease, unless you eat butter:

However, I will say upfront that this post is a joke, so it is not really what you are looking for. It is a weird parody of academic research, which is why it is labeled “humor” and is being filed under “Abstract humor” on my blog.

In my reading of academic articles I often come across articles with a lot of problems – interpretation biases, idiotic self-citation, moronic research designs, misguided immodesty, exaggerated political correctness, fake markers of high moral standards, nonsensical quantitative analysis etc. I decided to write a short post on a fictitious study that has all of these problems (a challenge).

20. Skyler Tanner on May 5, 2010 at 07:08

Fantastic.

21. Organic Gabe on May 5, 2010 at 07:49

Great idea! I’ll be watching 🙂

22. Steve Cooksey on May 5, 2010 at 11:59

I LOVE IT!!! LOL!

….and will submit Bullshit for the cause!!! 🙂

23. John Venlet on May 5, 2010 at 12:45

Judas frickin’ priest with a bullshit gun, Richard, but that was funny. I won’t be contributing to the weekly bullshit warning, but I damn well will be stopping by for the reports, and maybe to pilfer a recipe or two, you’re making some yummy victuals.

24. Paleotron on May 6, 2010 at 07:33

You can pretty much take anything from health.com and spend a day tearing it apart, but these two articles got my BS alarm going off pretty quickly.

Article #1 is about how avoiding grains and starches will leave you depressed and fat.

Article #2 is about how grains are essential for you to lose weight.

Have fun with those and don’t break your new toy.

• Paleotron on May 6, 2010 at 07:34

It looks like @Adam beat me getting article #2 up.

25. Chaohinon on May 5, 2010 at 18:42

Will you accept things that aren’t necessarily about nutrition?

Because by far the most bullshity thing that I’ve seen lately is this ad put out by the Pennsylvania tax authorities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aD5VIGBkew

• Richard Nikoley on May 5, 2010 at 20:20

You can send stuff my way or even post to comments within reason but for the actual blog I’m going to stick to BS articles in the MSM about diet, health & nutrition.

26. Garth Whelan on May 7, 2010 at 05:40

this is about how diabetic should eat…

27. Benpercent on May 7, 2010 at 08:44

Is this in reference to Penn and Teller’s television show “Bullshit!”?

• Richard Nikoley on May 7, 2010 at 09:32

Sure, it’s a loose reference. I’m a fan of the show.

28. Simon on May 9, 2010 at 07:56

Much better Richard, but you’re eyeline still needs to be raised slightly!

Other than that, looking forward to the Bullshit series, the shorter posts are much more digestible.

What about putting up some Vimeo posts of your meals that you do? It would suit the format and be an interesting hook.

29. […] at 200 soon; I was only at 110 a month ago)I'll do my damnedest to hit you guise up with the bullshit horn sometime this weekend. I do have plenty of material. That's so easy.You might also like Friday […]