Grilled Grassfed Flank Steak

Unfortunately while I do have a couple of posts in mind on more substantive matters, food preparations are about the only thing I’ve had time for lately.

If you saw my post about last weekend’s farmers market, then you saw that wonderful looking grassfed flank steak from Knee Deep Cattle Company. Well, here’s how it looks once you’ve lightly dry rubbed it with The Salt Lick, let it rest at room temp for about an hour, then grilled it on high and finally, squeezed on some fresh lime as it rests. Click all images for the hi-res versions.

Grilled Flank Steak
Grilled Flank Steak

And it’s done perfectly, to my eye. Since the thickness of the steak was not uniform I get everything from medium to medium rare.

Sliced Ready
Sliced & Ready

To plate it up, I did a mash with one white sweet potato and one plain white potato, with a little salt, pepper, butter & heavy cream.

Flank Steak Mashed Potato
Flank Steak & Mashed Potato

That’s a great way to do potato, by the way. Give it a shot. And, oh, yes, the steak was superb.

1. Jim on June 10, 2010 at 10:36

Damn, if I’m ever out in your neck of the woods can I come over for dinner?

• Primal Toad on June 10, 2010 at 12:57

Ditto!

I purchased a 100% grass fed cow a couple of weeks ago. It will be finished next week for me to pick up! I can no wait to grill steak after steak after steak…

2. Katelyn on June 10, 2010 at 12:05

Oh, man, Richard, did you post that just for me? 😉

3. Chuck O on June 10, 2010 at 13:35

Just wondering when you guy’s are grilling, are do you keep the drippings?? I was listing to Robb Wolfs last pod-cast and he talks about all the “minerals” etc, you can loose from grilling, just wondering what you guys do?

BTW..looks great! other then those spud’s! i’ve been sticking to sweet spuds mixed with whipping cream.

• Richard Nikoley on June 10, 2010 at 13:41

I don’t save the drippings. When I pan fry, then the drippings form the basis for my sauces, plus my own bone stock (just finished a new batch yesterday).

If I were to try and capture drippings from the grill it would necessitate cleaning it thoroughly after each use and I’m far too lazy for that.

4. Silviu on June 10, 2010 at 15:40

Oh Man…you are killing me with those mashed potatoes.
    I try to imagine that there are no potatoes in the world and then you post this photos with all these temptations….brrrr you make it hard for one to stay 100% paleo…but I will be strong.
    That steak looks awesome.

• garth whelan on June 11, 2010 at 04:54

Didn’t you know? Potatoes make you lose weight!

• Richard Nikoley on June 10, 2010 at 15:54

Then just do white or orange sweet potatoes. 100% paleo, and you can even be low carb if you don’t overdo it.

• chris on June 10, 2010 at 21:04

Silviu, Why don’t you eat potatoes?

• Silviu on June 13, 2010 at 15:17

Because potatoes are starchy and makes you fat…and I am fat and trying to loose weight.
        And they are not paleo either.

• Richard Nikoley on June 13, 2010 at 18:47

No, Silviu, they make _you__ fat. Having fixed my metabolism over 3 years, they are for me an insrument of leaning. No shit.

• chris on June 13, 2010 at 21:36

Silviu,
        OVER eating potatoes can make you fat, for sure. Tubers are Paleo though. Paleolithic humans most likely roasted tubers. Potatoes are tubers (granted from Peru/Chile not Africa, e.g. yams/sweet potatoes).

IMHO the recipe ought to be:
        Eat healthy meats and vegetables – only occasionally eat fruit, nuts and tubers, depending on activity level. On a day that you don’t work out then absolutely forgo the fruit, nuts and tubers.

Nothing will get you through (or refuel you after) a long hike like half a potato and 3 or 4 eggs. On days you’re not hiking or lifting then eat keto and/or IF. This plan was the key to my own 65 lb. fat loss/significant strength and endurance gains. n=1 of course…

• Richard Nikoley on June 14, 2010 at 08:30

Yep, I agree. I reserve the spuds for the post workout meals. Otherwise I’m pretty low carb. I’ve all but eliminated nuts. Fruit is also minimal.

• san fran J on June 15, 2010 at 23:01

the paleo diet is just a stupid name given to a diet that loren cordain came up with to give it some kind of “stone age gimmick”. dont get too carried away by eating that diet eat smart real food, watch the calorie intake, workout decent amount, and avoid junk calories as much as you can.

its all about the calories silviu, or to a great extent it is. potatoes are stem tubers that are not edible raw. that means they are not paleo, but their actual nutritonal compositon is similar to a sweet potato so even if the sweet potato is considered a root/paleo tuber, you aren’t going to look better by eating one over the other.

you can eat fruit and nuts in your diet too, as long as the calories are down. paleo diet is a good effective way to cut calories, but there are other foods that are not paleo that wont necessarily make you fat.

5. jola on June 13, 2010 at 06:11

Sounds delicious! Just one question – what goes into The Salt Lick dry rub? Perhaps it can be made at home?

• Richard Nikoley on June 14, 2010 at 08:28

Jola:

I think you can find the ingredients (though not proportions) at the website I linked. Out of town at the moment so don’t have the stuff in reach.

• jola on June 14, 2010 at 14:14

Thanks Richard. I tried to find them on the website but couldn’t. Will have another look, thanks anyway!

6. Wild Elk Steaks Sous Vide | Free The Animal on November 21, 2011 at 10:24

[…] flavor was quite excellent, very much like a good flank steak — flank, hanger and bavette being my favorite cuts for the sous vide method. 130F, an hour or […]