New on ABC News Nightline: “Eating Really is Rocket Science”

Well they may as well have. Not that there’s not some — a tiny little bit — of valid info in this seven minute video, but it’s just so damn muddled, so inconsistent, so many fucked & wrong messages that I have to conclude it’s an overall disvalue. Two thumbs down, way down…All this does is make people give up.

Please don’t fall for the silly delusion that a piece like this in some way — in any way — represents real progress toward an insanely fulfilling, sustainable nutritional lifestyle based on Real Food. Where it’s not a step backwards, it’s no help at all.

And wait till you see what the Total Fuckers at some stupid weight loss camp give a poor fat kid for lunch: "a veggie burger, baked beans and 4oz of leek soup." Yea, there’s a sustainable diet for life that’s gonna make him and fat kids all over just jump the right up shouting "Sign Me Up, Mom!" Stupid, stupid fucks. And evil. I hope the crooks — who charge "thousands of dollars" — get a particularly nasty case of salmonella.

An hour or so ago I was in a pretty good mood.

And don’t even get me started on the "First Lady;" even beyond the obscene presumptuousness of such a collectivist non-concept — my wife is the First Lady — she’s somewhat genetically blessed. If the considerable fat in her ass was more displaced, few except the completely hopeless would think she had any room to talk.

…Oh, and shit oh dear why not: Audrae Erickson, Ignominious Pres. of the Corn Refiner’s Association, is just a high priced whore. Spreading legs — or butt cheeks for that matter — can be a metaphor.

Update: This is how bad it is and it’s going to get worse now that everyone has to pay for everyone else’s "health" care: Supreme Court nominee Kagan Declines To Say Gov’t Has No Power to Tell Americans What To Eat. So there’s your daily Leviathan and your "Land of the Free" update, all in one.

1. Alex on June 30, 2010 at 18:05

Love how fired up you are about this. That’s where I am now. A year ago I used to really pity the morbidly obese. But I just can’t deal with their incompetence and stupidity any more. You don’t need the government to tell you that eating unprocessed (real) food is the silver bullet for obesity.

• Richard Nikoley on June 30, 2010 at 18:14

Yea, I’m all for redemption. More than happy to congratulate on the back end.

But what really is burning my ass lately is the way these reports paint a picture of enormous expense, complexity and exert guidance when the real problem is easy to see. In one good tidbit, Jamie Oliver demonstrates.

• chris on July 1, 2010 at 16:12

“A year ago I used to really pity the morbidly obese. But I just can’t deal with their incompetence and stupidity any more.”

Alex, Overweight people are confused. This video demonstrates why. My progress, fat loss, paleo-enlightenment took a good while. It was a long time before I could eat a (natural) high fat meal without feeling somewhat funny or guilty(?) about it; even though I’d realized/learned that a high fat, moderate protein, lowish carb diet is the ideal diet for the human animal.

When I see obese people I feel great compassion. They are slaves to food as was I. They don’t know that they can eat to satiety, IF effortlessly, and workout when they feel like it, and loose fat! And even if you tell them this they can’t believe it. I had a hard time believing it even as I was physically transforming myself.

Richard’s vitriol is properly placed when he calls-out the low-fat, whole grain nutritionists. Fat people deserve our compassion and help.

2. Austin on June 30, 2010 at 18:26

You know, I get fucking pissed at people who ask me how to lose weight and then disagree with me when I tell them to just eat real food and exercise some portion control. Because they think thats too simple. And there are fat people who can tell me with a straight face that eating only 2 meals a day will slow down my metabolism after hearing about how I eat. Really?!

There seems to be a mix of receiving bad information combined with self-delusion going on with these people

3. James on June 30, 2010 at 19:21

Make no mistake, none of this is incompetence.
    Eating real food and being healthy makes a lot of sense, but it doesn’t make the sugar/grain/medical/pharma cartel a lot of dollars.

• Dave C. on July 1, 2010 at 11:05

If everybody started eating real food, and got healthy, our economy would collapse. Do your duty to Americah, and eat corn!

4. Dave, RN on June 30, 2010 at 19:21

What really pisses me off are the dieticians. I put a bit of a rant on my facebook about eating real food and a dietitician jumped all over me, asking me who I thought I was telling people how to eat and and how I’m unqualified and we need 60% of calories from carbs blah blah blah. Morons.

But you know if you make it sound compliacted, then someones going to make lots of money off of it, which is probably the point.

• Austin on June 30, 2010 at 19:39

I’ve actually seen overweight registered dieticians employed in hospitals and giving out advice on healthy eating in magazines and newspapers. With their photos plastered on the articles.

But I guess anything is possible if Dr Phil can get a weight loss book published.

5. Richard Nikoley on June 30, 2010 at 20:28

I wanted to make this bit a bit harder, so those who commented and if you’re getting notifications, see the two pareas I added at the end.

That is all.

6. Lute Nikoley on June 30, 2010 at 21:10

That good old saying applies here. You just can’t fix stupid. But some of us try.

7. JUPITER on June 30, 2010 at 21:22

Putting vitamins and fiber in garbage, i thought they were already putting vitamins and fiber in garbage, i hope they f”ing choke on the fruit loops.

8. Austin on June 30, 2010 at 22:11

Here’s some stupid from my end of the woods. The article, and the comments are…..interesting.

9. Zach on July 1, 2010 at 00:16

“a veggie burger, baked beans and 4oz of leek soup.”

personally i think that sounds delicious, but i suppose my eating habits aren’t exactly normal. anyways, i didn’t think the video was all bad, guys like robert lustig and michael pollan are both great sources of nutritional knowledge who knew way more than your typical dietician. the only part that made me extremely angry was the asshole trying to help get Fruit Loops promoted as healthy. Of course, the first things he says are that it’s “low fat and low cholesterol”. That dumbass is about 50 years behind in the field of nutrition. What kind of sick country do we live in in which the idiots like him get to advise citizens on what constitutes healthy

10. Karen DeCoster on July 1, 2010 at 02:51

Calling Audrae Erickson a “high-priced whore” is priceless. When I blog about the evils of HFCS, she sends me emails, and then she sends large packets to my home containing the government’s bullshit literature/studies.

11. Aaron Curl on July 1, 2010 at 04:07

“God gave us fructose”….bitch is crazy! God or whomever gave us fucking cocaine and marijuana also…..should we all be doing drugs? I guess if we all did cocaine (aren’t cocaine addicts skinny?)we would be skinny….just might work.

• Dave, RN on July 1, 2010 at 08:34

The bottom line is that God gave us free choice… to do it right or to totally screw up. Food-wise, the powers that be have chosen the “totally screw up” option. Which matches nicely with “the love of money is the root of much evil”, since it the $$ that’s driving the crappy food market.

Yea, there are a few of us Christians in the paleo world. It’s not inconstant. The Garden of Eden was not a vegitarian paradise, as many think, and when Cain and Able offered their sacrifices to God, Ables meat was accepted, but God rejected Cains offering of grain!

12. JP on July 1, 2010 at 06:26

Scientific foods for the non scientific crowd. The last 30 years have been disastrous but hey, let’s keep it up!

13. Dan on July 1, 2010 at 08:24

“Why is it Americans keep getting fatter in spite of government efforts….” Apparently, no one considers the possibility that it might be BECAUSE OF government efforts. The government alows, subsidizes, even promotes processed food. The government’s dietary recommedations are total B. S.

As Ronald Reagan said, “Government is not the solution to your problems, government is the problem.”

14. Janey on July 1, 2010 at 10:22

Would have been a great post, if not for the incredibly misogynistic comments re Audrae Erickson. Why can’t you see a woman you dislike and disagree with as a jerk? Or a sellout? Do you have to go straight to “whore” and “spreading legs”?

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 10:29

You know what Janey?

Even more than I loathe stupidity, I absolutely detest playing the victim. But since you’re apparently too ignorant to understand that males can be prostitutes too, here’s a post where I call a bunch of men whores.

Now shut the fuck up, you poor little baby.

• Janey on July 1, 2010 at 10:46

I never said males couldn’t be prostitutes as well. I just said your use of those slurs against a woman was misogynistic. Own up to it. And while you’re at it, see if you can manage to say anything coherent without resorting to childish namecalling.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 10:47

Go fuck yourself, Janey.

• Janey on July 1, 2010 at 10:48

And, BTW, your temperament and apparent mental state are a less than stellar advertisment for the benefits of a paleo diet.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 10:51

What did I just say? You aren’t fucking listening, are you?

Now fuck off. I mean it.

• Janey on July 1, 2010 at 10:58

Well, thank you for this most elegant, intellectual exchange. I will now take my leave, per your courtly request.

Keep it classy, dude. You’re a charmer.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 10:55

“temperament and apparent mental state are a less than stellar advertisment for the benefits of a paleo diet.”

And BTW, that’s the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever heard. But what does one expect from a dipshit who sees “misogyny” everywhere she looks? Every person I’ve ever known to use that word regularly is a person I have soon enough found to possess an entitlement, victim mentality and ultimately unworthy of anything but scorn.

Ultimately, I wouldn’t trust them to go get the mail.

• pecanmike on July 1, 2010 at 11:32

Now that was fun.

• MC on July 1, 2010 at 13:02

I’m going to agree with Richard on this one. I didn’t think “misogyny” when I read what he about her. Had it been a dude, I’m sure he’d have called him a whore and mentioned him taking it up the ass or something.

I’m sure Janey would not have jumped to the defense of the dude though.

• Tracy on July 8, 2010 at 08:40

I’m a chick and completely agree with you, Richard. Honestly. Whore = sellout and a whole host of other meanings. I hate when ppl get all bent out of shape over words… they’re WORDS, ppl. But maybe I’m just being a bitchy cunt. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on July 8, 2010 at 08:46

Laf!

• Chaohinon on July 1, 2010 at 10:48

Audrae is someone responsible for KLLING PEOPLE with misinformation and ignorance, and is doing it all on the backs of taxpayers.

It’s not just a matter of different opinions. She and her ilk are pure evil. Even if Richard were 100% wrong about everything, at least he isn’t using government violence to propagate his views.

15. jon w on July 1, 2010 at 10:32

have you seen the tanning tax?

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 10:45

Yea, I’ve seen a bit about it and it’s nonsense crazy, or course, but not something I’ve been inclined to take up, yet.

• Dave, RN on July 1, 2010 at 10:58

When/if you do, here’s a great study showing that there are far greater risk factors than tanning, like blond or red hair for example:

Table 2 is the most telling.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 11:49

Hmm, I just might have to take a close look at that. Lots of things pop out.

• Dave, RN on July 1, 2010 at 11:59

When I first saw it a couple of weeks ago on the study site that it’s on (Cancer Epidemiology and Biomarkers and Prevention), it wasn’t watermarked “Embargoed, not for further distribution”. I don’t know why that changed

The conspiricy theorist in me wants to say that “Embargoed, not for further distribution” means “we prefer that the general public no see this”.

And you may have seen this, but if not, it’s fodder for the future:

bit.ly/9UAqZl

Given the info there, it’s no wonder the ADA want’s to feed carbs to diabetics…

• Jakob Dodd on December 23, 2010 at 10:06

i work in the industry & i think it’s silly, what did they tack on like an extra $2? i just recently started tanning only occasionally cuz i like being in the warm cozy sunbed, but i’ll be damned if they convince me im going to get cancer. & i’d like to not pay MORE to get it. if it truly did cause that!

16. Derek S. on July 1, 2010 at 10:52

I’m totally on board with giving hell to the “authorities” or those in positions of influence who mislead the ignorant masses, thereby increasing their ignorance even up to the point of death. They deserve all they get from us and more.

However, I fervently disagree with attacking the victims themselves. Everyone on this site was, at one point or another in the past, a part of the ignorant masses. We all had to come out of our own various forms of slavery in Egypt and make our way to the promised land, so to speak.

If you’re honest with yourself you’ll admit to having been complicit in your own previous ignorance. No one forced those wheat buns, fries, sodas, bowls of cereal, pizza, donuts, etc, down your throat. You did it willingly and with gusto. It wasn’t just the fault of the “authorities”…it was a partnership between the two of you, acting in agreement toward the goal of ruining your health. You were skipping merrily down the road to death together, arm in arm. Admit it.

My point is that to get a reprieve from your early death sentence, and then to turn around and start shooting at the people who are still on death row is merciless, cold and above all, ignorant in the extreme. We didn’t come by the knowledge of proper nutrition by accident, but neither did we come by it totally of our own accord. Someone, somewhere, helped us by informing us and by leading us to a greater truth than that which we already thought we understood. If that someone, or group of someones, had turned on us after discovering the truth for themselves and degraded us, belittled us, or otherwise condemned us, we would never have come to the place we currently find ourselves.

Why not take the high road? Instead of degrading the “stupid”, the “fat”, the “obese” or the “ignorant”, have patience with them and try to inform them more than just one single time. How foolish we are if we had patience with ourselves for decades before coming to the truth and yet judge someone to whom we’ve only offered the truth once or twice? What hypocrites. We can do better.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 11:42

I agree with you to large extent, Derek and of course, that a lot of what this blog is about.

On the other hand, facts need to be faced. In all cases we are talking about people who are fat, obese, or overweight. In many cases we are talking about ignorance. In a few we may be talking abut abject stupidity and various synonyms, but that certainly doesn’t apply by and large.

And I suspect that in most we’re talking about some degree of laziness, gluttony, and outright evasion of facts. It’s really important to come to grip with the facts. It’s what I did and I’ve called my former self all sorts of names and they were true.

But as I said somewhere above, we are certainly into redemption around here

• Derek S. on July 1, 2010 at 13:10

Agreed…that’s one of the reasons I’ve been reading your blog for about a year now. I was mainly referring to one or two comment posters above…not to your blog posting. Personally I grabbed hold of the truth with both hands when I discovered it and have not let go since. I just realize that I had to come to a point in life where I was finally tired of my old self and honestly wanted the truth before I could see it. Once I wanted it, there were people (like yourself) out there willing to help and not degrade me for not coming to the truth sooner. I say we give the “fat fucks” the same chance we gave ourselves…that’s all.

17. pecanmike on July 1, 2010 at 11:42

And by the way Richard I started reading you on January 1, am 47, and have lost 35 lbs without really trying that hard and fell better than I have in years. The news programs that say somehow these fat fucks are predestined to be obese makes me crazy. This in only making the problem so much worse. But you know what, no one forces you to stick that shit in your mouth. Even if the government is feeding us a line of shit, come on, figure it out. It only makes sense.

Anyway, in your own kinda twisted way you are really doing a great service.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 11:51

And I intend to keep it as twisted as possible.

Congrats to you, man.

18. John on July 1, 2010 at 14:28

I too am tired of the bullshit that people use as excuses to lose weight. If we(the people here reading this blo g(or others)) can find the answers, others can to. All they have to do is look. I stumbled on MDA looking for a home made jerky recipe, found this site and between the two have lost more than 30 lbs in 4 months. But just like in one of the above posts , Austin’s I think, people don’t want to believe that its this easy to be healthy.

If it takes any effort no one can be bothered because its too hard, too expensive, too confusing.

I am scared shitless to see what its going to be like in 30 yrs.

Keep up the great Blog Richard. Especially with the passion and emotion.

19. Lute Nikoley on July 1, 2010 at 15:00

As for me, there is no turning back. I am just plain old having too much fun. Camping for 2 weeks, 24 miles from home. Doing some work to earn some money, relaxing as much as possible and eating real, good food, drinking some beer, wine and Belvenie, oh yeah also a martini (gin) a day. Life is good with reduced weight, off of most meds. Keep it up Richard, it helps to beencouraged daily. For those who know about this eating real food lifestyle and ignore it because of their hangups with paleo, will continue to be fat and unhealthy. It’s their fault for being, yes ignoramuses.

20. Gia on July 1, 2010 at 15:56

Wow – watching those people eat in that video made me sick. I could use it to curb my appetite, for certain.

Richard – love your blog… and your exquisite use of the word f*ck!! Audrae Erickson is not a scientist, how would she have any clue about the similarities of fructose/glucose??? She’s an economist, like so many that dictate the dietary needs of the populous from Washington.

Glucose molecules bind completely differently than fructose molecules. I know that, and I’m blonde even…

Thanks for all the really great information here. I’ll enjoy coming back to peruse.

Found an interesting article that completely contradicts that video, but does show that weight loss is like rocket science: http://bit.ly/d5tvzX

“Fructose is not a direct energy source for muscles and the brain as many of its producers claim. These tissues rely on the hexokinase catalyzed phosphorylation of glucose for energy metabolism. They do not take up fructose from the circulation since they lack both fructokinase and GLUT2. Fructose does increase hepatic fatty acid production and serum lipids and these can be utilized in muscle. However, dyslipidemia is not a desirable situation. Sorry, but you do not become stronger and smarter by eating fructose. ”

Gia

21. JLL on July 2, 2010 at 02:22

As much as I like Jamie Oliver as a chef, he’s a completely wrong person to promote healthy diets. He has no grasp of what constitutes a healthy diet or how to lose weight, other than to “avoid sugar”. And yet he encourages home-made breads etc.

In his TED Talks, he says to the audience that “your children will be the first generation to die younger than their parents”, which is a lie. Despite the obesity epidemic, lifespans are going up.

We need facts, not more lies, to counter the current lies.

22. Joseph on July 2, 2010 at 08:32

Here we go, folks! The next American revolution will occur as people hide in the mountains, roasting illegal grass-fed meat, washing it down with illegal raw milk, and using their government corn rations to start the cooking fire. We’ll have a barbecue to replace the Boston Tea Party. Who’s with me?

23. Jakob Dodd on December 23, 2010 at 10:01

i applaud the family at the end for trying. i’ve been “trying” & i’ll be motivated but then only drop a lil & overcompensate by telling myself i deserve a treat. then gain it all back. but it’s a vicious cycle because then my brain is not worried about eating whatever i want, since i know i am strong enough to get up & go burn it off. how do i break that pattern? how do i shut off the craving for food? maybe taking fructose out is a good goal to aim for. maybe less packaged salt, fat, & sweets will do the trick. all i know is i believe that giving martin’s approach a try & logging my calorie intake every day i will HAVE to find that balance & figure out how to get down to 135 [from nearly 170, lots of water weight due to artificial testosterone & a poor relationship with food. i don’t control cravings, or portions] so my plan is to fast 3 days of the week to start, resistance train 2, cardio 4… so much of my training will be done fasted, hopefully that maximizes results quickly. will log & summarize every 8 weeks.