Real Results: Primal in Philly

While sipping my morning coffee and checking email I came across a Google alert for "Free the Animal" that included a link to this article in Philadelphia Magazine:

PRIMAL IN PHILLY: HOW I LOST 71 POUNDS IN SIX MONTHS BY EATING LIKE A CAVEMAN

It’s the story of Timothy Haas and how he lost those 71 pounds in six months eating primally.

Timothy Haas Treansformation
Timothy Haas Transformation

How cool is that? And even more, how cool is this paragraph, from the article:

Then, at a Christmas party for my son’s Civil Air Patrol squadron last December, I started a game of keep-away with the cadets — I nearly dropped to the ground after 10 minutes. I knew I had to do something. I had a vague idea of going Atkins/low-carb again since it had worked quickly the last time, but my plan wasn’t set until New Year’s Day when my wife sent me a link to Free The Animal, an ongoing record of one man’s impressive weight loss following the tenets of “primal” living.

As I’ve always said, these are my favorite kinds of posts and make it all worthwhile. This is what it’s all about. A hearty congratulations to Timothy.

1. Chris on June 26, 2010 at 12:38

That is awesome. In six months! Absolutely outstanding.

2. The 50 Best Health Blogs on June 26, 2010 at 13:54

Those before and after pictures are awesome!

Jim Purdy

3. Aaron Blaisdell on June 26, 2010 at 14:27

Congrats, Richard, on being a continual inspiration!

4. Tweets that mention Real Results: Primal in Philly | Free The Animal -- Topsy.com on June 26, 2010 at 18:02

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Richard Nikoley, Erwan Le Corre. Erwan Le Corre said: Proof eating an evolutionarily natural diet frees the domesticated human animal from an unnecessary burden. Very cool. http://bit.ly/cDEOIb […]

5. Austin on June 26, 2010 at 18:52

I really love stories like this.

6. Michelle Matangi on June 26, 2010 at 21:43

Awesome story!! Well done Timothy your an inspiration 🙂

7. Alex on June 27, 2010 at 07:04

Look at the face! He looks so much younger. Shave that beard, and enjoy your new-found 20-25 years of youth! Again, congratulations!

8. hans keer on June 27, 2010 at 08:37

Some folks just do anything to get mentioned on your blog Richard 😉

But still ….., good job Timothy!

9. Tim Haas on June 27, 2010 at 10:02

@Everyone: Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, and especially thanks to Richard for sharing my story.

@Alex: I’ve had this beard for 17 years; I’m afraid if I get rid of it, it’ll scare the dog — and my 13-year-old.

• Alex on September 22, 2010 at 12:53

Fair enough! I guess you’ll just have to settle for the 10 years younger you look due to the weight loss!

10. Christoph Dollis on June 28, 2010 at 05:22

Timothy rocks, man!

What an inspiration.

I wants me some transformation.

11. michael on June 28, 2010 at 07:14

Thats what its all about! You were a huge influence in my weight loss also Richard.

• Richard Nikoley on June 28, 2010 at 07:37

I never tire of hearing that, Michael. Congrats.

12. G on June 28, 2010 at 09:23

Thats awesome !
    And i really love the pics : no photoshop, or shaved torsos !)

Richard keep up the great work.
    I would like to have some articles about primal muscle building pleaaaaaaase

13. Paul Verizzo on June 28, 2010 at 17:36

Great work, Timothy!

I’ve almost the exact same loss per six months if I subtract “The Stalled Out, Lost in the Desert” months while my father died, my mother had a stroke, yada yada.

Back on the drill now except I’ve added bike work almost every day and I’m losing 13-14 pounds a month, average, over the last month.

What really kicked things into high gear, I’m convinced, is doing the bike work in the AM awhile after getting up. I.e., at the end of the overnight fast. God, I long resisted doing this, but between Richard’s insistence and other sources, I gave it a go.

The first few times were brutal; light headedness, glycogen depletion, dragging. Now, it’s so easy! I think this regimen really and truly “reset my DNA” and changed my cell’s insulin sensitivity.

Bring on the ketones! Out damned fat!

14. Primal Toad on June 29, 2010 at 13:08

I read this post earlier when it came out. Very inspiring story. This is what the primal/paleo lifestyle is all about – real stories by real people living how we evolved as humans!

15. […] Real Results – Primal in Philly – Free The Animal Seriously, who doesn't love wall balls? Brian and Ant cranking out double unders […]

16. […] why not give Primal a try? And if one story isn’t enough to convince you, check here or here for further proof that these crazy grain-shunners might just be on to something. What do you have […]

17. […] Real Results: Primal in Philly […]