More Barefoot Options

This is just a superlative video demonstrating the folly of ever wearing shoes — for any application — with a mattress of padding under them.

How did we ever get so soft? Now that I typically wear nothing but simple protection I find the padded shows just a bit pathetic. Well, perhaps it’s a necessity when carrying around 100 extra pounds of lard.

Learning the Skill of Barefoot Running from Terra Plana on Vimeo.

Learning the Skill of Barefoot Running from Terra Plana on Vimeo.

Well, I can hear the gasps over the $160 price tag (yea, whereas I don’t particularly flinch over the 80-90s, this is a pretty penny), but just to acknowledge the great video, this came by way of an email from Terra Plana which I gladly subscribe to.

It’s about the EVO.

1. Jae on July 6, 2010 at 18:19

Surely Mr. Saxby knows a lot more about running than I do, since I don’t know much at all. Still, the jumping and squat drills after the 3:50 mark made me want to gouge my eyes out. He’s instructing the guy to rise up onto the balls of the feet, letting the knees come forward. The back is able to remain vertical because of this, which is what he wants to teach. But isn’t there a better way to teach this without putting such shear force on the knees? The jumping drill from box to ground is particularly egregious IMO.

2. Jae on July 6, 2010 at 18:25

I do want to say though that the improvement by the end of the vid is very good. 🙂

3. Mike Gruber on July 6, 2010 at 19:20

8 ounces? For WHAT?

When I was still running, I did 60-80 miles/week in racing shoes, which typically weigh anywhere from 4-6 oz and cost around $100. These had no arch support and very, very minimal padding. I wore various Adidas models, because that’s what fit me best. They are just as minimal as the Terra Plana shoes, probably better designed, and significantly lighter.

Maybe “VEGAN” materials are heavier. 🙂

4. Phil Johnston on July 6, 2010 at 21:08

I’d like to know what the measurable difference is between a $160 pair of Terra Plana and a $50 pair of Chuck Taylors.

5. Steve on July 7, 2010 at 01:14

No need for any expensive shoes. I’ve been using normal “water shoes” for a few years, they typically have thin but durable rubber soles and spandex fabric and work fine, for usually no more than $20. I have a pair of Ahnu Delta which cost maybe $25 at REI, a black pair of Speedo ones that were probably $15 on sale, and I see other types all the time at sporting stores like Dick’s for $15 or less often.

• Richard Nikoley on July 7, 2010 at 06:26

I have a pair, but they have to be worn in the water or my feet sweat purposely.

6. Aaron Curl on July 7, 2010 at 02:39

For me, I hate sandwiching my feet into any conventional shoe with a toe box at all. After wearing Vibrams for about the last 3 months everyday, when I do put on a normal shoe I can’t stand it! I want to be barefoot or in Vibrams.

7. Paleo Quick Notes on July 12, 2010 at 02:53

[…] clear that my lower body muscles and joints are hit in ways that they are not used to, but probably should. Great […]

8. Going barefoot « Primal Kiwi on August 9, 2010 at 19:07

[…] I came across this problem and its answer about a month ago thanks to Richard Nikoley. He posted a video on his blog from Terra Plana that demonstrates what we are doing wrong while we run. Basically our […]