Primal Chili Dogs

Have a craving for a chili dog? I sure do, now and then. For some reason the combo of a grilled all beef dog, chili, fresh onion and cheese is pretty alluring. You can click for a bit better image but this one was taken with a phone camera, so it’s not up to the typical standard around here.

Primal Chili Dog
Primal Chili Dog

It was pretty simple to put together.

Ingredients

• La Cense grassfed all-beef franks
  • 1 pound grassfed ground beef
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • 1 regular can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 4-6 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
  • grated cheese (this was a raw milk cheddar from NZ)
  • sour cream
  • romaine lettuce

Cook the ground beef by itself in your eventual cooking pot until done. Add the stock, 2/3 of the chopped onion, tomatoes and sauce. Bring it to a boil and begin to reduce it. When reduced some, begin adding chili powder to taste and to consistency so you end up with a nice thick chili.

Grill your franks, plate two romaine leaves with the stems and tops opposite one another, add the franks, and top with chili, fresh chopped onion, cheese & sour cream.

Enjoy.

1. Primal Toad on July 10, 2010 at 18:31

That looks and sounds delicious! I LOVE applegate farms 100% grass fed hot dogs. The are great on the grill or broiled in the oven and go great in big ass salads.

2. Grok on July 10, 2010 at 18:51

I’m going to need a minute alone….

3. Katelyn on July 10, 2010 at 18:54

How are the grassfed franks, Rich? Did you know that Applegate Farms Organic Beef Hot Dogs are grassfed? I can find those at Whole Foods. When I first went ZC I tried there natural chicken, beef and turkey franks (organic beef, some spices) and all were very good.

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2010 at 19:03

The franks are really tasty. I always get at least 4 packs when I do an order.

100% All Natural Grass Fed Black Angus Beef
      No Antibiotics
      No Hormones
      Lower in Fat, Lower in Calories than Grain Fed Beef – A 6 Ounce Beef Loin from a Grass Fed Cow may have 92 fewer calories than a 6 Ounce Loin from a Grain Fed Cow
      Higher in Omega-3 – 3X Higher than Grain Fed Beef
      Higher Levels of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) – 5X More than Grain Fed Beef
      More Vitamin E – 5X More than Grain Fed Beef
      More Beta-Carotene – 4X Higher than Grain Fed Beef

I once had a brand of all beef franks from WF that was “gluten free,” but then when I got it home realized it was super low fat. And it taste like it.

Oh, also, La Cense all beef Polish kielbasa is excellent too.

4. Kelly the Kitchen Kop on July 10, 2010 at 21:04

We buy the Applegate hot dogs, too. I love letting the kids eat as many as they want and not having to worry about any of the crap in conventional hot dogs. I called Applegate, thinking it was too good to be true, and assumed they were grass fed but not grass finished. Thankfully I was wrong, they’re grass fed AND finished! I can even get them at our local store. 🙂

Kelly

5. Bay Area Sparky on July 10, 2010 at 23:50

The La Cense hot dogs are quite sausage-like. Definitely toothsome and flavorful. Way beyond even the German Skinless hot dogs I usually get from our excellent butcher shop. Among the best hot dogs you’ll ever taste.

6. Lute Nikoley on July 11, 2010 at 00:47

I love the franks from Lacense and also the polish sausage. Sometimes when I feel hungry, I’ll just cook up a frank and rat it with some mustard. Mmmm mmmm mmm. Open Soace Grass Fed Beef is where I get all my roasts, steaks and ground beef, they are right here in the Central Valley and deliver right to my house.

7. William Marcum on July 11, 2010 at 01:48

Looks like a winner, you should try out doing chili dogs ontop of roasted sweet potatoes, found the idea on http://www.health-bent.com/proteins/chili-cheese-dogs was amazingly good.

• Richard Nikoley on July 11, 2010 at 06:47

That looks like a damn good idea, William. In fact I have thought of a few things sweets (I prefer the whites) would serve as a good base for.

8. Anna on July 11, 2010 at 08:21

Typo alert (that is too funny):

“Cook the ground been”

9. Kate on July 11, 2010 at 09:26

Richard,

could you please tell me what brand of NZ cheese you used? I’m from NZ and I’m having a hard time finding any raw dairy…

• Richard Nikoley on July 11, 2010 at 09:36

I don’t have the wrapper any longer, but it’s from a chain here called Trader Joe’s which you may have heard about on the various blogs.

10. […] Primal Chili Dogs – Free The Animal Biggest class yet – 18 people @ Thursday's 5:15pm. It couldn't have gone any smoother. […]

11. Janet on July 12, 2010 at 00:39

How funny that you managed to get Raw milk cheese all the way from New Zealand. I live in NZ and I have never seen raw milk cheese ever.

12. Dan on July 14, 2010 at 18:11

I want to shove my face in that and inhale.

13. Hillary on August 12, 2010 at 11:50

Another source for grassfed beef is at http://www.tallgrassbeef.com. I can get some of th eir products in my local (Chicago area) supermarket and all are very tasty. They have hot dogs and bratwurst as well as the standard cuts of beef. Tallgrass ground beef is the only one I buy – makes great hamburgers or meatballs.

14. […] Chili Dogs on a Low-Carb Day […]

15. CrossFit Peachtree | CrossFit in Buckhead | CrossFit in Atlanta | CrossFit in Midtown | Personal Training Atlanta | Atlanta Strength and Conditioning Coach | CrossFit Football in Atlanta | Atlanta Speed and Agility Training on December 15, 2010 at 08:35

[…] Chili Dogs on a Low-Carb Day […]