Have a craving for a chili dog? I sure do, now and then. For some reason the combo of a grilled all beef dog, chili, fresh onion and cheese is pretty alluring. You can click for a bit better image but this one was taken with a phone camera, so it’s not up to the typical standard around here.
It was pretty simple to put together.
- La Cense grassfed all-beef franks
- 1 pound grassfed ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 regular can chopped tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 4-6 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- grated cheese (this was a raw milk cheddar from NZ)
- sour cream
- romaine lettuce
Cook the ground beef by itself in your eventual cooking pot until done. Add the stock, 2/3 of the chopped onion, tomatoes and sauce. Bring it to a boil and begin to reduce it. When reduced some, begin adding chili powder to taste and to consistency so you end up with a nice thick chili.
Grill your franks, plate two romaine leaves with the stems and tops opposite one another, add the franks, and top with chili, fresh chopped onion, cheese & sour cream.