The Food (PGP: Pretty Good Paleo)

Here’s some photos of some of the food I’ve been eating. Click on ’em for hi-res. Yes, I absolutely love the octopus. The freshness, the way it’s prepared with olive oil, makes it like lobster to me.

Very few cheats. I had a ham & cheese on a baguette and the lasagne pictured. Otherwise it’s damn well been primal except for the odd piece of crust to sop up the tasty olive oil or tomato-y sauce.

photo4
Octopus & Olives in Oil
photo5
Seafood Salad with More Octopus
photo6
Oops!
photo7
A Beautiful Setting
photo8
Tuna Tartare
photo9
Sea Bass

1. Sarah Madden on July 26, 2010 at 10:08

The food looks gorgeous, ah, I miss Italy, it is the one place I’ve gone to where it’s really easy to eat paleo.

Though I did succumb to risotto alla pescatora a few times too. 🙂

2. Sean on July 26, 2010 at 10:29

Oops made me laugh. Amazing how easy it is to eat primal even paleo in the Mediterranean. Almost as if the whole Mediterranean diet thing had been misrepresented by someone with an agenda.

3. Sonagi on July 26, 2010 at 15:59

The salads look so appetizing, a bed of greens brightened with red peppers, tomatoes, seafood, and eggs. A visually appealing and palate-pleasing dish shouldn’t be too bland or too busy.

4. O Primitivo on July 27, 2010 at 08:22

Great, real Mediterranean food! Very similar to what we eat here in Portugal!

5. Pam Maltzman on July 26, 2010 at 22:19

Back when I would sometimes go to the Todai (Japanese) seafood buffet (have they gone out of business now?), I would refer to stuff such as in your second photo as “tentacle salad.” 🙂 Mmmm.

6. Chris on July 26, 2010 at 23:22

Looks great. I was in Italy a few weeks ago – I try and go every two or three years. The thing that always strikes me the most about the food there is the depth of flavour – the fruit and vegetables in particular just taste so much nicer than the supermarket bought versions I eat in the UK.

7. JP on July 27, 2010 at 10:44

Octopus is crazy good. I cook them in tomato sauce with a bunch of veggies and what not. Delicious!

8. Paul C on July 27, 2010 at 19:35

That food looks amazing and delicious.

On the flip side, have you considered doing a post on NuVal. I saw a local grocery store converted to the NuVal system (nuval.com). The local paper had a front-page blurb and 2/3 page inside article promoting it, saying this is the seventh grocer nationally to use this program, and five health care systems in the state are backing it. It seems like it has a good foothold and it’s spreading. After reading about it, anyone here would be outraged. This is an attempt at behavior modification far beyond a nutrition label. Here is a brief description from the NuVal website.

“Developed by a team of leading nutrition, public health, and medical experts, the ONQI algorithm uses the Institute of Medicine’s Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs – quantitative reference values for recommended intakes of nutrients) and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (advice from the Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Agriculture about how good dietary habits can promote health and reduce risk for major chronic diseases) to quantify the presence of more than 30 nutrients – including vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants; sugar, salt, trans fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol.”

You can guess which nutrients are on the “bad” side and which are on the “good”.

9. Miguel Garza on July 28, 2010 at 19:42

Hey,

I couldn’t find an email address, but I’m a big fan of the site and wanted to share my sister’s primal success story. She was diagnosed with lupus, and told by doctors that nothing she did with her diet would change her symptoms. After the urging of my older brother Roberto, she is now 40-50 lbs lighter, and is deadlifting over 300 pounds. There is a great video of her at this link :

I hope you get a chance to watch it

• Richard Nikoley on July 31, 2010 at 06:07

Oh my goodness. That’s fantastic. I’m going to link it on this morning’s entry.

• AJP on July 31, 2010 at 08:24

Miquel,

What a fantastic story.
      Very inspiring.

As a side, what is the camera and audio setup you use to film that footage?
      The quality was outstanding.

Thanks!!!

• Rob Garza on August 2, 2010 at 20:09

AJP,

It was shot on a Canon T2i and a Sennheiser EW122 G3 wireless lavalier system.

• AJP on August 3, 2010 at 14:22

Thank you Rob for the information.

Again, what a inspiring story!

• Lute Nikoley on July 31, 2010 at 15:49

What a beautiful lady your sister is, God bless her. What strength and courage to defy the quacks who call themselves doctors. Sadly I think most of them know better, but give in to the pharmaceuticals and and agra. I admire people like your sister who truly have real illnesses and defy the advice of their doctors and do what they feel is the right thing to do. congratulations to her.

10. TrailGrrl on July 31, 2010 at 06:53

Looks great! We ate a lot of octopus in Galicia Spain, and it rocked. Once you got past the tentacle sucker things psychologically. They would keep bringing out plates and plates of it and bottles and bottles of wine that was dirt cheap! Had really excellent local veal too.

That sea bass looks great, even the tail and the head.

TrailGrrl

11. Lute Nikoley on July 31, 2010 at 15:52

I am sure I could tackle the octopus right now, just recently started liking calamari. But maybe someday i’ll give it a try, if it’s cooked of course. Food looks delicious.

12. Links & Quick Hits | Free The Animal on August 2, 2010 at 16:56

[…] she followed her loving brother's advice, went primal and crossfit, and, […]