Extreme BBQ: Chicken, Beef AND Pork

Yesterday we had some friends over, plus my parents and as I’ve said before: there’ll be no bread, pasta, rice, beans or other such cheap fillers but I’m gonna fill you up with meat.

So how about this? Click for the high res version.

Extreme BBQ
Extreme BBQ

Actually, the chicken is roasted is the oven, freeing up the grill for the tri-tip and the country style boneless ribs. On the side I had SOGs excellent paleo BBQ sauce made with my variations (including a whole jalapeno pepper, this time). I first detailed the process back here. I improved on the process this time. I first essentially boiled the garlic, onion and pepper in a cup of the beef stock until the ingredients were completely soft, and then I blended it all into a puree into which I added the tomato paste and the rest of the stuff. Came out nice. It blows my mind that the chief ingredient in nearly all commercial sauces is sugar (HFCS, usually). Below is about 2 1/2 cups and it has 2 tbsp of molasses. That’s it.

Paleo BBQ Sauce
Paleo BBQ Sauce

Other items on the menu were a simple romaine lettuce salad with parmesan cheese, EVOO, apple cider vinegar & citrus. Dessert was a platter of watermelon, red grapes, strawberries and black plums.

For drinks I did Paleo mojitos. Basically follow the standard recipe and substitute coconut water for the cane juice. That way you end up with a slight sweetness but nothing like a typically over sweet mojito.

That was mid afternoon (first meal of the day for me) and by about 9pm I was a bit hungry, thinking about describing my omelet preferences earlier and so decided to do a 3-egg toasted onion omelet. Here’s how the onions ought to look in butter and on low heat (be patient) when you toss in the eggs.

Toasted Onions
Toasted Onions

And then you toss in the eggs and do your omelet thing (I prefer using a fork, particularly in a non-stick pan). Here’s a photo just before the flip.

Toasted Onion Omelet
Toasted Onion Omelet

I was so anxious to dig in that it appears I forgot to get a final shot.

1. David Csonka on October 4, 2010 at 10:15

Your blog title should have been “Feed The Animal”

2. Katelyn on October 4, 2010 at 10:22

Hey, where was my invite? 🙂

3. Ann on October 4, 2010 at 11:14

I diiigg this. Tonight I made slow roasted mallard duck w/ roasted brussel sprouts + celeriac. Fried the ducks in goose fat first to brown then slow cooked in home made poultry stock (carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay, thyme) & citrus (orange, lemon + zest). Mmmmm…….I <3 paleo food + checking out steaktehbook.com.

4. Vegan Warrior/Stud on October 4, 2010 at 11:25

By contrast, I ate 4 twigs and a bowl of raw millet yesterday. Then my friends and I had a group cry and hug over the plight of the wolf.

🙁

• Richard Nikoley on October 4, 2010 at 15:05

Vegan Warrior:

Ha, you do have a good sense of humor – rare for a vegan, I think. 🙂

Well, hopefully the group cry/hug didn’t get this intense:

• Vegan Warrior (stud removed) on October 4, 2010 at 17:37

LOL, that HAS to be a fake. Tell me that’s fake.

• Richard Nikoley on October 4, 2010 at 18:34

OK, it’s a fake.

Nothing wrong with a little white lie from time to time.

• VeganWarrior on October 4, 2010 at 19:44

Dammit, I actually wanted it to be real.

Oh well.

• Richard Nikoley on October 4, 2010 at 22:13

Don’t confuse exactly where my white lie was.

5. Sol on October 4, 2010 at 11:39

Just wondering did’t see any mention of sous vide cooking method lately. gave up on that?

• Richard Nikoley on October 4, 2010 at 15:06

No, just that it’s more of a winter thing for me when I can’t grill outside. As it turns colder, expect to see a lot more sous vide.

6. Lute Nikoley on October 4, 2010 at 12:30

Great BBQ, Richard, I enjoyed it very much, and used up all the BBQ sause that was put on my plate. I ate Chicken, pork and beef. And lets not forget Julie’s dish which was awesome.

7. Check the links… | Pure Spontaneity on October 4, 2010 at 12:49

[…] I can’t resist a good BBQ (link). […]

8. Mallory on October 4, 2010 at 14:11

fooooooodgasm….yum. i never thought of deep frying onions in tallow. i must try this. ive always hated BBQ sauce BUT if we are talkin primal drinks this one is FANTASTIC

– can of coconut milk
    – cup or 2 of pineapple(other fruit to cut carbs)
    – cup of nut(usually almond) milk
    – cup of ice
    – cup(i mean jiggers…ok however drunk you plan to get…) of rum/spirit

garnish with lime, somehow it works with the lime well

9. NomadicNeill on October 4, 2010 at 16:43

Isn’t this way of eating the ultimate bachelor food!

Anything that only involves 1 or 2 pans is good in my books. 😉

10. AndrewS on October 5, 2010 at 07:43

Nonstick pans are evil and have caused both the disappearance of seven species of freshwater fish and an increase in the global temperature of 2.5 degrees.

In addition to nasty soaps & shampoos and aluminum-based antiperspirants, I’ve also stopped using heavy-metal based cooking equipment. Nonstick is nice, but I’d rather not have aluminum scrapings in my food. Obviously I have no idea if nonstick coatings are a *serious* threat, and proper utensils remove most of the concern. What are you using?

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 08:18

My primary cookware is Al-Clad stainless steel. I don’t have any nonstick pans. I also have a large cast iron and a steel wok.

11. CrossFit Peachtree | CrossFit in Buckhead | CrossFit in Atlanta | CrossFit in Midtown | Personal Training Atlanta | Atlanta Strength and Conditioning Coach | CrossFit Football in Atlanta | Atlanta Speed and Agility Training on December 15, 2010 at 08:35

[…] BBQ Protein Gluttony […]