The US Surgeon General Regina Benjamin is a Caricature of Fat America

Last night I was channel surfing a bit, saw that Dr. Oz was on and so decided to click over to see what sort of conventional "wisdom," "health" inanity was being regurgitated at that particular moment.

I wasn’t disappointed. First, I let out a belly laugh; then, I grabbed for my iPhone to record a clip. Take a look, all 1:20 of it. There you have "America’s Top Doctor" looking more like America’s Top Ding Dong®.

Wow. You know I pay almost no attention to what’s going on on the political landscape because, well, I like to limit my exposure to toxic displays of insanity, automatic lying, and a host of other profoundly unhealthy aspects of the whole slimy and disgusting charade from top to bottom and wall to wall. "Voluminous Propaganda," I suppose I could call it.

I Googled around and found some articles written at the time of her nomination and then confirmation. Typically pussyfooting, mostly.

Well, look: if I wasn’t sympathetic to the plight of the obese this blog wouldn’t even exist. I’m here to help where I can. Part of that sympathy comes from the fact that it’s so difficult and unlikely for people to get sound health, fat loss and exercise advice. Because Fucking "Authorities" Like Mega-Ass, Fat-Faced Regina Benjamin Get To Lecture You On Matters She Is Wholly Unqualified For. And obviously she is unqualified. You literally don’t have to get up off the couch to know it. A priori.

And everyone pretends that what’s actually happening isn’t happening at all when it’s right there in front their faces. I guess it’s just such a monumental absurdity that it goes to blank-out and cognitive dissonance. You know, show & tell the lie often enough and with enough style that it becomes the "truth." Propaganda in the finest traditions. Leni Riefenstahl would be proud.

There is one upside for Regina, though. She may in fact not be pulling this off with a straight face. But you’d never be able to tell.

1. Jesrad on October 5, 2010 at 10:31

“She may in fact not be pulling this off with a straight face. But you’d never be able to tell.”
    Harsh but true. And it applies to so many more professional liars, too.

2. billthern on October 5, 2010 at 11:05

I, too, just read the GDAC critique. I am a recent Paleo convert and I’m mad as hell that we have been force-fed the SAD, the Food Pyramid, and all the rest of that crap for so long. The size and shape of our “Top Doctor” is just one more piece of evidence demonstrating the danger of the conventional wisdom.

3. David Csonka on October 5, 2010 at 11:43

I wonder what the public reaction would be like if we had a president with a waistline like Howard Taft, now-a-days. I do have to say though, it would be hard to imagine a President’s son going off to war in Afghanistan, liek Taft’s son did to WWI.

4. Bill Strahan on October 5, 2010 at 11:50

At first I thought you meant she was so fat that she couldn’t break a smile if she wanted to.

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 11:54

It’s one of those deals, Bill, where you take it however it goes for you. Of course, it’s not technically cognitive but does go to the caricature aspect of the thing.

What I was essentially getting at is the layer of fat is such a mask that she can wear any facial expression she wants and you’re not going to necessarily detect it.

• Bill Strahan on October 5, 2010 at 12:11

Like the really heavy girl at the office when you find out she’s 8 months pregnant but hadn’t told anyone..and no one noticed.

Or, going the other way, the time my dad told a friend he had lost 5 pounds and his friend said “Bruce, that’s like a 1/4 inch bolt falling off a bulldozer.”

5. Ted F. on October 5, 2010 at 11:57

C. Everett Koop was pretty fat too, but he’s 93 now so who knows.

• Chris G on October 5, 2010 at 16:57

….and he liked his cigars & whisky….

• Alex on October 6, 2010 at 07:02

One of my grandmothers was quite fat, and she lived well into her 80s. But, pharmaceutical treatment for chronic heart disease started in her 60s.

• Ted F. on October 6, 2010 at 10:13

I’m confused. Is this a comment on the efficacy of pharmaceutical treatment?

• Alex on October 6, 2010 at 10:32

There’s no doubt that modern medicine is effective at keeping people with chronic illness alive while remaining in a state of chronically poor health. And, some people might look at that as a good thing in that they figure it allows them to continue doing all the stupid shit that made ’em unhealthy in the first place and not die early from it. But, I don’t see it that way. IMO, 20 years of medicated poor health is the long miserable end of a poorly lived life.

6. Russ Taylor on October 5, 2010 at 12:00

Alright, I tend not to be one for conspiracy theories and the whatnot but you could really make an argument for this woman being put in place just to back up the notion of “You can eat crap non-foods, be chubby, and still be “healthy” and fit enough to supposedly be TOP PERSON when it comes to the health of our nation.” And it could branch off into Monsanto madness and the GMO crops that grow all over my city like a damn virus. And if you believe some of the reports, then Monsanto has used our military to spread their influence into the Middle East as well.

That said, it also probably really looked like “Progressive Change” for the current administration to have such variety in gender, race, and rolly-poly factors in their appointments.

But once again, I’m not much for conspiracy theories. 🙂

• JB on October 5, 2010 at 12:46

“just to back up the notion of “You can eat crap non-foods, be chubby, and still be ‘healthy’ and fit ”

And here ya go…

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 13:29

A shorter Benjamin: “Don’t have a conversation about how fat I am.”

7. Bubba29 on October 5, 2010 at 12:26

obesity is becoming acceptable….it is becoming the norm. howard stern was slammed when he pointed out how unhealthy it was for Gabourey Sidibe to be so overweight. it is sad but it is not seen as a problem anymore.

• Autsajder on October 5, 2010 at 17:17

because it was fucking offensive. NO ONE has the right give health advice to a stranger based on his/her looks. Did he go and said the same thing to some skinny kid eating cheeseburgers? I dont’ think so. Does he know what her blood work is? Again, I don’t think so.

I love Gabby, and she is a great role model for personal pride, self esteem and resistance against fatist, toxic society.

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 17:45

Autu-who-fuckimg ever…

Get off my bog.

And then, when comfortably situated, go fuck yourself all day long.

Don’t hold back.

Jesus fucking Christ already. Four fucking bleeding ass lame moronic comments in a row…or was it five?

Get. The. Fuck. Out of my house. Do you understand the metaphor, twit?

• Autsajder on October 6, 2010 at 08:02

With pleasure. I don’t need another arrogant asshole with a neophyte complex, I got enough in daily news. Especially not on my google reader.

And I thought paleo helps fixing psychological issues as well.

• Rosemary on October 19, 2010 at 08:38

Wow Richard, was that really necessary? I understand you are passionate about your opinions but why all the vitriol? And at complete stranger no less. On the internet. Where it doesn’t matter. What about some civil discourse? You are an intelligent man in a position to help effect change through education. You might want to think twice about alienating people and flipping out on people like some teenage child.

• Richard Nikoley on October 19, 2010 at 08:41

“was that really necessary?”

For whom?

8. Bryan on October 5, 2010 at 12:31

Hey, I’ve got a great idea. Why don’t we stick to attacking the policies instead of the policy-makers personal appearances? I like your blog, and I’m working on incorporating some of the ideas into my life. This post, though, is really beneath us all. /disklike

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 12:37

“Why don’t we stick to attacking the policies instead of the policy-makers personal appearances?”

Hilarious. Well, I don’t suppose it occurs to you, but I’m attacking policies at the fucking root, man.

But masturbate all you like.

“/disklike”

Excellent. Then a job well done, I’ll conclude.

• Autsajder on October 5, 2010 at 17:15

AGREE.

9. Tommy on October 5, 2010 at 13:33

I have to agree with Richard. She is a poor example of “the one in charge.” It’s sort of like putting a thief in charge of security. I don’t see it as an attack on a person or personal appearance at all. It is only a questioning of someone who is payed by us. We have every right to question or criticize.

I sometimes have to wonder. Doesn’t the president have the same access to the information we all have? Yes he does. Michelle Obama seems (or seemed to be) all for a healthy America for our children. I know it’s all about $$$ but when the hell will someone step up and really look at all sides of the issue? Hasn’t anyone sent Mrs. Obama a copy of GCBC’s or Primal solution or anything remotely looking at another side of the diet coin? I don’t get it. One sided research.

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 13:45

Exapand you thinking a bit, Tommy.

That would be like putting a liar in charge of the truth squad. Hell, and that’s not even a metaphor.

• bob r on October 19, 2010 at 11:16

How about a tax cheat in charge of the treasury.

• Autsajder on October 5, 2010 at 17:14

Your comparison to a thief really doesn’t stand. We can say nothing about her skills, knowledge, her diet, exercise, her philosophy or health history from the way she looks. There is nothing wrong with being a bit bigger as long as you are still healthy, strong and energetic.

The cult of lean body (which often means skinny) is horrible. HEALTH is the most important thing. And yes, you can be healthy even if overweight.

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 21:49

“We can say nothing about her skills, knowledge, her diet, exercise, her philosophy or health history from the way she looks”

1 Skills. on the subject matter, none. She’s a fat ass.

2 Knowledge. I have no doubt she has conventional wisdom down solid, and it shows. Point for you.

3 Diet. Are you kidding me? Minus two for stupid.

4 Exercise. ???? Maybe she treads for 150 cals and eats 500 as a reward?

5 philosophy. Well, not really the subject around here but I imagine she’s standard, which means anyone can be eviscerated, so long as it’s “for the children,” or some other “good cause.”

6 health history. Hope she lives long enough to cry over being such an ineffective failure, when what she could do is pay fuck-all to the administration, tell it like it is, and sacrifice her so-called standing for the truth.

10. LCforevah on October 5, 2010 at 14:10

I had no idea she was that obese, I have only seen news pictures of her face not her body.

This is what I get for assuming–I said to myself that we need more women leaders and celebrities that are not anorexic–but this is over the top.

This “do as I say not as I do” attitude pervades so many levels of our society and it makes advice from both public and private entities a complete joke.

• Autsajder on October 5, 2010 at 17:12

She’s not even obese. She is lightly overweight, nothing uncommon in middle aged women, especially with possible genetic predisposition.

NO base to make judgments about her ability to be Surgeon General

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 21:40

“She’s not even obese…lightly overweight”

You’re blind or delusional.

• Richard Nikoley on October 19, 2010 at 11:30

I never begrudge anyone defending themselves from theft.

Question is, ought a chief thief get a pass?

• Paul C on October 7, 2010 at 07:53

Genetic predisposition to accumulate fat at a higher rate than average when the insulin system is deranged. Fix the insulin. The genetic predisposition is not a bad thing, it’s a blaring siren to get hormones under control. Pretending it is something that can’t be helped is your problem, that you need to fix.

She should count herself fortunate that her body has this obvious signal, where someone like me suffers subclinically for decades until some level of permanent inflammatory damage shows itself.

11. JLL on October 5, 2010 at 14:28

“Part of that sympathy comes from the fact that it’s so difficult and unlikely for people to get sound health, fat loss and exercise advice. ”

Hmm… is it? For old people, who think the Internet is the devil’s workshop, maybe. But what’s the excuse for the younger generation? The information is out there.

I have all the sympathy for people actually *trying* to find the information, and questioning why they are not healthy while following traditional health advice.

But for those who refuse to question authorities even for a second… well, let’s just say I have much less sympathy. Ignorance comes at a price.

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 15:26

Well don’t forget, JLL, that the mainstream are now also on the Internet.

12. Autsajder on October 5, 2010 at 17:11

I found your entry and many of the commentaries extremely offensive. I found her earlier youtube message extremely refreshing, where instead of shaming and humiliating the bigger people, she emphasized health at any size. I am very strong supporter of this notion.
    YES you can be health and be bigger. She is not obese, she is slightly chubby, which is a very common thing to see among hunter gatherers with middle-aged women.

This kind of offensive and hateful fatism is just appalling.

It’s quite sad that so many paleo become some snotty elitists, looking down and disrespecting others.

I don’t know what she eats, I have no idea what her blood work is or how much she does on bench press. I can’t say it from the way she looks. NO ONE can.

if she was “skinny” with extreme triglycerides it would be all fine?

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 21:37

“health at any size”

Not possible, without qualification. Any size? Literally?

You see, I have the advantage of not being a suck-up moron given to eating bromides for lunch (Google it – bromides).

Look, I don’t know whether you’re fat and are just projecting or not. If so, just stop. Fucking stop it. She is not your friend. Yea, she’ll comfort you — ’cause she’s just as helpless ’cause she lacks knowledge or the slightest discipline needed.

Paleo is fucking easy. You can actually enjoy getting lean.

If I can get one thing through your fat head: quit thinking this approach — of toil — ought to be defended rather than smashed to the trash heap. That’s why politicians can go fuck themselves. They hurt people in fundamental ways.

You can be lean, and you need not apologize for fat asses in positions.

And if that’s not you, they that’s what you get for being more or less anon.

13. Guy_From_Amelie on October 5, 2010 at 18:24

Hey Richard- you can tell me to go fuck myself in a bit, but in the meantime…do you enjoy being a jerk?

The best part is how, when someone disagrees with you a logical fashion, you get angry and reach into your endless bag of not-so-funny insults. I can’t wait to see your angry criticisms of Jimmy Moore, who is even more overweight and a huge name in the low carb biz. When people looking to lose weight come to your blog, I’m sure these types of posts are more hurtful them helpful to them.

“Be kinder than necessary…Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle”

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 18:36

Don’t be fucking stupid, Mat, cause I really hate it when a guy does that to himself just to make a stupid “point”

Jimmy, in case you haven’t noticed, isn’t the fucking surgeon general. Of the U-fucking-S, appointed.

Rule Number one: don’t be stupid, no matter how good it may feel in the moment.

• Guy_From_Amelie on October 5, 2010 at 18:52

Hey, now you’re almost as cool as Matt Stone. Congratulations!

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 19:50

Back handed complment.

Matt has chops, no doubt, but he’s the one who needs to learn smack, from me. 🙂

14. Guy_From_Amelie on October 5, 2010 at 18:50

Your logic is almost too amazing to answer, but I’ll try.

I had thought that the Surgeon General’s duties were to advise and lead on scientific and public health issues, including tobacco control, HIV prevention, chronic disease, and other sundry issues. However, I may be mistaken. It might be that her sole duty is to get her picture taken and plastered to every wall to display her near obese BMI, which may or may not be correlated with lab results indicating unhealthiness.

In this case, her knowledge of medicine and efforts to provide affordable healthcare to the uninsured are totally useless.

And Jimmy Moore is a face of the low carb movement. Although you may be one of the many faces of the paleo movement, you appear both less knowledgeable and more mean spirited than your peers. Mark Sisson also writes in a clear and humorous fashion, Stephen Guyenet is brilliant and seems kind, and you are perhaps an okay writer who is a bit full of himself?

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 21:58

“I had thought that the Surgeon General’s duties were to advise and lead on scientific and public health issues, including tobacco control, HIV prevention, chronic disease, and other sundry issues. ”

Don’t be coy. You know as well as I do, the “America’s Top Doctor” bit and unless you’re a fucking dimwit, you know that counts for something.

Read your stupid paragraph, above, and tell me how that’s going to stack up with the average person who just knows the “Surgeon General” is the epitome, rather than a politically appointed stooge; because, well, when you’re president, you appoint stooges to make you look good. Duh.

To boil it down to the very simplest element: surgeon GENERAL. America’s chief health problem is the downstream consequences of obesity.

She’s wholly unqualified.

15. Guy_From_Amelie on October 5, 2010 at 19:04

And lastly…I do enjoy your recipes, especially Meatza. And anger against people who are ill-willed, I appreciate. But being a total jerk when you don’t have to be is my biggest pet peeve, and you seem to have that in spades. Ad hominem attacks against commenters is also not the coolest thing in the world.

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 20:30

I never shy away from a well placed ad hominem. The difference with me is I’ll admit it.

• spencer on October 5, 2010 at 21:01

I gotta admit, I get a kick out of watching people like you flinging shit in the faces of these PC moral fuckheads expecting people to give a rat’s ass about how “outraged” they are.

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 21:14

Well thanks, Spencer. Some is for entertainment value, but not when I’m digging deep.

16. LAM on October 5, 2010 at 19:05

There are plenty of people who eat what we would consider crap and are lucky enough to not be overweight (there are also plenty of people who’ve been fat for so long that even when they switch to doing all the right things, their bodies are just to wrecked to recover fully, so they look “unhealthy” to us), so whether it’s one of those lucky thin types or Dr. Benjamin we’d still be hearing the same bullshit message about “health.” The focus on her looks, I think, detracts from your overall point.

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2010 at 20:36

No it fucking doesn’t Lam..

Her looks, i.e., body composition IS THE FUCKING point, and all of, it totally. I don’t give a shit if she’s a fucking genius. Maybe she is. Fuck the fat bitch the same.

Jesus I have some fucking dumb ass commenters.

Look, disagree if you like, but it was a simple fucking post. At least you could figure out what Im talking about.

• LAM on October 6, 2010 at 06:56

So if the SG were a thin person advocating a low-fat vegan diet you would say it’d be ok?

• Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2010 at 07:51

No, of course not. The point is the caricature aspect. Being obese is merely the vehicle for that caricature in this particular case.

I’m not making fun of her because she’s fat and in fact would be delighted to help her out with that. I’m making fun of the fact she’s the SG

17. Elisabeth on October 6, 2010 at 00:45

If we weren’t in such dire straights, I could feel more sympathy toward a fat surgeon general. In fact, I probably wouldn’t care. But we are in trouble here. Benjamin herself pointed out the problems of obesity and the ensuing illnesses, then she said that one could be healthy at any size. That doesn’t make any sense. While it may be true that some people live a long healthy life regardless of fat, that’s not the case for most of us. That’s why we have a nation of very sick people and it’s costing us all. Because of this simple fact, Benjamin has a duty to rise above it and become an example.

• Bubba29 on October 6, 2010 at 07:51

AMEN!

• Bushrat on October 6, 2010 at 20:10

You can’t be healthy at any size. The reason people find overweight people unattractive is because its unhealthy. You can’t miraculosuly become healthy if you are overweight and not change your weight. Once you start becoming healthier than your body will reflect that through weight loss and/or added muscle, better skin, better hair etc.

• Richard Nikoley on October 7, 2010 at 04:38

one of next posts will tackle this fit at any size claptrap. You kith guess what the title will be.

It won’t be kind. Anyone spouting that bullshit is my enemy. It won’t be a kind post in any respect.

18. Jake on October 6, 2010 at 02:10

The government has created a health crisis in America by giving unscientific and faulty nutrition advice for the past forty years.

The Surgeon General’s unhealthy state is a result of that advice. Her crime (yes, crime) is that she continues to propagate that advice and allows others in the government to do the same.

What should we call a person who is causing needless suffering and early death to millions of people? What leaders in history have brought so much suffering to so many people in the past? What did we call those leaders?

What ever Richard is calling her is too tame by half.

19. Ben on October 6, 2010 at 05:58

Richard,
    I’m disappointed in you. Obviously, Regina Benjamin is retarded. You shouldn’t make fun of fat-retards. Shame. On. You.

• Andre Chimene on October 6, 2010 at 21:52

FUUUUUUUNNNY…thank you for the laugh out loud!

• Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2010 at 08:08

That a good differentiating point. Let’s say they put a mentally retarded person in charge of the department of education. I’d make fun of that too, but not the retarded person, the fact that they are in a position that shouldn’t be held in that state.

So while it looks like my main thrust is her fatness, it’s the facy she’s demonstrably unqualified for the role.

20. Bubba29 on October 6, 2010 at 07:49

doesn’t anyone realize there is an obesity epidemic in our country? it is a real problem that spawns many more health issues. this “healthy at any weight” mentality will only make us fatter. everyone should strive to be lean and strong. they will be less of a burden on the healthcare system and their family later in life.

to accept obesity as being “OK” is a recipe for america being 100% obese in another 30 years.

21. Ted F. on October 6, 2010 at 08:26

Whatever… there have been plenty of fat surgeon general’s. This is certainly not news. Moreover, implying that the government’s nutritional guidelines are ineffective because the person in charge of those guidelines is fat is just as imprecise as implying that the government’s nutritional guidelines are effective because the previous sugeon general, Donald Weaver, was not fat.

Its like saying our military is weak because our commander in chief was a fat-ass, was in a wheel chair, or was a wimpy alcoholic texan, or a skinny Harvard city boy, etc.

• Ben on October 6, 2010 at 08:45

Weak metaphor.

• Ted F. on October 6, 2010 at 10:11

Weak reply.

• Ben on October 6, 2010 at 19:44

Eh. I’m OK with that. Your initial post doesn’t deserve much effort in a reply.

• Jake on October 6, 2010 at 12:20

The guidelines are ineffective because they are not based on science. In fact they contradict well known biochemistry.

She is fat for the same reason millions of Americans are fat. If you look at the food consumption stats for the last 40 years, you will see that Americans have been following those guidelines very closely in their food consumption. She is just another American blindly following the pseudo science put forth by our government.

She is supposed to be our nation’s health leader. But it is obvious she is not acquainted with any scientific nutrition research done in the past 10 years. Whether that ignorance is due to her stupidity or laziness, we have no way of telling.

But the result is the same, millions will suffer because of her ignorance.

• Ted F. on October 6, 2010 at 14:12

My point is simple: if we assume that the surgeon general will follow the guidelines, and that it is the guidelines that are responsible for making people fat, then why are most (not all) recent surgeon generals fairly fit and old?

• j4 on October 6, 2010 at 17:39

How would you know how fit they are? Seen there lab work? Privy to their medical history? Assessed their physical fitness and cognitive ability? Are they on any meds?
      Or are you just assuming based on their age and ability to read teleprompters that they are healthy?

• Ted F. on October 7, 2010 at 06:24

I say fit only in the sense that they are not fat or overweight looking. I know you can argue that they may be old and not fat but still unhealthy, sure. You would probably argue that anyone not following paleo is unhealthy too, which just isn’t the case. There are plenty of old, fit, and healthy folks who don’t follow paleo, just look at Jack Lalanne, for example.

This is not a critique of the paleo diet, nor an endorsement of the gov. guidelines. Merely pointing out flaws in the logic here. I feel comfortable enough to think for myself. That means I accept poor reasoning from anyone, vegan or paleo, no matter if i disagree or agree with them.

• j4 on October 7, 2010 at 19:49

>>I say fit only in the sense that they are not fat or overweight looking.
      Actually the last 4 (which spans the last 20 years) are overweight. So look again.

>>I know you can argue that they may be old and not fat but still unhealthy, sure.
      This isn’t something I have to argue at all (see above). But to be clear skinny doesn’t equal healthy. So there.

>>You would probably argue that anyone not following paleo is unhealthy too, which just isn’t the case.
      You know it makes you sound like a presumptuous jackass when you assume you know what someone is going to say (or write). To be honest at this point I would be much happier if the Government just stopped trying to ‘help’ people with nutrition. If by some miracle/curse that it did happen that they endorsed the ‘paleo’ pyramid (it will never happen btw) I am sure we would see shelves of fake food usda ‘paleo approved’ faux food that would kill us as much as the stuff they are marketing now.

>> There are plenty of old, fit, and healthy folks who don’t follow paleo, just look at Jack Lalanne, for example.
      Why don’t you –

>>This is not a critique of the paleo diet, nor an endorsement of the gov. guidelines. Merely pointing out flaws in the logic here.
      I think all you have pointed out is that you are pretentious and fell to fully grasp the original post.

>>I feel comfortable enough to think for myself.
      I think your implication is I don’t. But how would you know? This to makes you sound like a jackass.

>>That means I accept poor reasoning from anyone, vegan or paleo, no matter if i disagree or agree with them..
      That’s it! Your ability to accept poor reasoning from anyone! Shit! All this time I thought I needed to critically analyze the information, verify the validity of the claims, measure the results, see how it worked for others, see if it works for me and consistently be analyzing new information as presented when really all I needed to do was accept poor reasoning from all sides! Maybe Ill be like one of the people in the Bing commercials, just spouting random factoids about diet and health ! Thank you Ted F. you have made things so much easier for me!

• Paul C on October 7, 2010 at 11:00

You are pointing out logic errors about an imagined implication, when Richard’s point is clearly stated to be about caricature.

22. Nathaniel on October 6, 2010 at 21:22

I’m kinda surprised at the backlash, here. That woman is clearly carrying more weight than it is healthy to carry and it just highlights the disconnect between the medical profession and real nutrition. As it stands today, the average doctor is one of the worst people to take nutritional advice from.

The good ones out there, like Dr. Eades, will back me up on that. Dr. Eades’ just recently wrote a post entitled “The pitiful state of medical ignorance.”

It would certainly be laughable if poor nutrition were not the root cause of terrible, widespread killers such as heart disease and cancer.

23. Helen on October 7, 2010 at 08:35

I’m surprized by all the people jumping up to defend a woman they don’t know and who they never met who is so obviously full of shit…its almost like they took Richard’s post personally or something. But the whole thing is so through-the-looking-glass that its hard to know where to start. The only thing I can say is that if this woman follows her own advice, then she is a sterling example of what NOT to do to be healthy…an example-in-reverse. Just take everything she says and stand it on its head. If she says eat grain, then stay away from grain. If she says stay away from saturated fat, then eat saturated fat. Anyone who follows what she says gets exactly what they deserve, and I have no sympathy for them.

• LCforevah on October 7, 2010 at 08:38

Wow! So Ditto!

• Richard Nikoley on October 7, 2010 at 08:54

through the looking glass. Yep. We live in an upside-down world and an obese person as the top “health” advocate is just so bizaro it is hard to know where to begin.

24. From Fat To Feeling Fantastic – It Starts With A Step | Naturally Engineered on October 8, 2010 at 13:21

[…] – being terribly skinny), but over the course of this week I’ve read quite a few heated discussions on obesity and health. Much of it has been spurred on by the Attorney General’s […]

25. Michele on October 9, 2010 at 14:31

Watching the video I was surprised at first that she wasn’t as big as I was expecting. Then I realized that I was comparing her to what I looked like before beginning paleo. Exactly what you’re talking about, Richard. We are so used to this new “normal” size of people that we don’t think about what people should really look like. From what I can find, she’s a size 18 and I was up to squeezing into a 20. No wonder I told myself that “she didn’t look THAT big.” Not sure how tall she is, but I’m 5’6″ and wore a real size 18 (not lying to myself and squeezing into it when I shouldn’t) around 220 lbs – at 70+ lbs overweight. I’m not taking any health advice from anyone fatter than I am unless they can prove to me that they are on their way down from an even unhealthier weight. No more fat doctors, public health officials, dieticians, etc. She doesn’t qualify since I wear a 14/16 now. Almost down to not being obese anymore, just overweight.

26. haig on October 11, 2010 at 22:49

Gary Taubes said is succinctly in one of his lectures, “Whatever makes you fat makes you sick”. Figure out what causes obesity and you also reduce or eliminate the host of diseases which it is a huge risk factor for. The notion that you can be healthy at any weight is just a politically correct platitude. I am not a ‘fatist’, I’ve struggled with my weight all my life and know how fucking hard it is (or was before paleo), but I also won’t convince myself or others that being obese is a healthy physiological state to be in.

27. […] Alright, so my video is introductory. Here is the post and silly fucking comments I reference. […]

28. Pam Maltzman on October 21, 2010 at 22:53

WRT Michelle Obama: I dislike everything she stands for as much as you do, Richard. She doesn’t look that fat to me. But she does have a rather large butt, which may be at least partially due to genetic predisposition. People descended from certain African tribes are known for particular-shaped and -sized buttocks (have heard people refer to them as “bubble butts”).

Her arms are certainly toned and not fat.

All the same, what I eat is none of her fricking business (or anyone else’s business, particularly some asshole of a bureaucrat).