Early Sunday Rock – Dire Straits; In The Gallery

Here’s the view from the porch in Arnold, CA, at 4,500 ft elevation. We arrived after the 3hr drive from San Jose about noon today. Our neighbors who live here full time said it hasn’t snowed this much this early in over 10 years. I think we bought the place in around 2003 and I’m used to rain over the Christmas holidays moreso than snow — and it’s not even Thanksgiving, yet. Snow begins in earnest late December and lasts through March. …An April surprise, now and then.

Apparently, this all happened since midnight.

Snow
Snow

It’s snowing furiously, on & off, and word is, a possible 2-3 feet tonight. I just hope the tree branches don’t get so heavy as to take down power lines. I’d like to stay until our planned departure monday afternoon.

I’m drafting a rather extensive post on the implicit contradiction between paleo and Christianity writ literal (which could apply to any literally viewed religion). But it’s taking a while, I’ve got iTunes streaming wirelessly to the Bose, and scotch whiskey is in hand.

Here’s what just came up in the random mix.

More later, and soon.

1. Bill on November 20, 2010 at 17:04

Ahh scotch. Scotch, scotch, scotch. If the cavemen could have had it…who knows to what heights we could have reached.
    Dig your site. Check it every day, so thanks.

2. JimZ on November 20, 2010 at 18:26

Knopfler is one of the greats. I think he’s mellowed a bit with age; his performances from the 80’s seem to have more of an edge but I still enjoy him today.

Enjoy your weekend at the cabin, and enjoy your scotch, you fucking anti-religion anti-government gun-owning meat-eating anti-establishment ex-Navy non-voting cussing son-of-a-bitch Libertarian bastard. (I mean that as a sincere compliment)

• Richard Nikoley on November 20, 2010 at 19:03

“you fucking anti-religion anti-government gun-owning meat-eating anti-establishment ex-Navy non-voting cussing son-of-a-bitch Libertarian bastard. ”

Ha, that’s likely the most comprehensively correct compliment I’ve ever received.

You might like the post I’me putting finishing touches on, right now (scotch in hand).

• Duncan on November 21, 2010 at 04:52

As ex-Navy, why not put a word or two in for Phil Tourney and his shipmates from the USS Liberty?

After all, the culprits who were behind this infamy are now at the forefront in depriving us of hard-earned freedoms, no?

3. skib on November 20, 2010 at 19:02

In the beginning there was only rock \o/

4. Df on November 20, 2010 at 20:40

As an unrepentant elitist urban voting liberal, I get totally pissed off by your libertarian bullshit. But thanks much for the true word on nutrition and health, and most of all all sins are forgiven when you have the great good sense to post a clip of Dire Straits.

5. JimS on November 21, 2010 at 17:58

Skateaway

• Richard Nikoley on November 21, 2010 at 18:30

I love it, Jim, and I have that album too, in my collection.

6. JCA on November 21, 2010 at 03:10

Ahh Dire Straits. I remember when they first started. Used to play some Friday nights at The Barrel Organ in Digbeth, Birmingham (England). Ace nights after work, and boy did we blow the froth off a few.

7. R Dunn on November 21, 2010 at 05:16

I generally eschew the use of the expression “woo’ hoo” but In the case of Dire Straights and Mark Knopfler I would make an exception.
    They have always been my favorite band and in my own mind I am the worlds greatest Dire Straights fan ever. I continue to listen to Marks work obsessively
    right up to his latest solo effort “Get Lucky.”

“In The Gallery” is nice piece from the their first album and this take can be heard on the dvd “Dire Straights: Live in Germany” which just basically a compilation of their appearance on the show Rockpalast

“Sultans Of Swing” and “Money for Nothing,” are great songs in their own right, but I suggest people look beyond them and check out the rest of their body of work.

I have listened to variations of “Telegraph Road” over a 1000 times, My favorite version is from the concert at Basel in 1992 when he was at the peak of his playing and touring power. The guitar solo in the second part is killer.

Mark is playing a Pensa-Suhr guitar. Rudy Pensa is an Argentinean guitar builder who opened a shop in NYC in 1978. John Suhr worked for Rudy before going to Fender and then out on his own. John Suhr probably did most of the build – thus, Pensa-Suhr

Some “Telegraph Road” lyrics

A long time ago came a man on a track
    Walking thirty miles with a pack on his back
    And he put down his load where he thought it was the best
    Made a home in the wilderness
    He built a cabin and a winter store
    And he ploughed up the ground by the cold lake shore
    And the other travelers came riding down the track
    And they never went further, no, they never went back
    Then came the churches then came the schools
    Then came the lawyers then came the rules
    Then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
    And the dirty old track was the telegraph road

Then came the mines – then came the ore
    Then there was the hard times then there was a war
    Telegraph sang a song about the world outside
    Telegraph road got so deep and so wide
    Like a rolling river. . .

I also love the Wembley version of” Tunnel of Love”

Always check out the lyrics of a Knopler song

I never considered suicide as an option but if I did “I’d write my suicide not on a hundred dollar bill.”

Some people quote Elvis, I quote Mark Knopfler.
    I doubt if I could ever get him play at my birthday.

OK, that’s enough.

Have fun in the snow.

• gallier2 on November 21, 2010 at 08:55

If you’re such a great fan, why not learn to spell the name of the band right? It’s Dire Straits.
      Sorry couldn’t resist. 😉

• R Dunn on November 21, 2010 at 15:34

My bad. That’s what I get for posting and running.

8. Laurie D. on November 21, 2010 at 11:13

Love Dire Straits and am old enough to have been around when they first started. Now, my 22 year old daughter listens to them and she has kept me up-to-date on her music as well. We go to Springsteen and Arcade Fire concerts together 🙂 Good music is good music. I can recognize a Knopfler guitar riff in any song. He has a very distinctive sound.