Not Sunday; Not Rock; Emmylou Harris: a Wrecking Ball Selection

So how many people are going to embed Bing, Johnny, Nat…maybe even Burl or Mitch Miller doing the great Christmas classics?

Not me.

Simple and quick: An amazingly beautiful woman performing an amazingly beautiful song live. Emmylou, from Wrecking Ball: Goodbeye.

Pastured pork leg is in the crock pot and braised cabbage in the oven. See you on the other side, maybe with some pics.

1. Cporter on December 24, 2010 at 20:23

So many favorite Emmylou songs…

This?

Maybe for today that is.

I’ve always wished that Emmylou and Merle would record a duet of “Today I started loving you again.”

• Richard Nikoley on December 24, 2010 at 21:02

How about Willie and Emmylou; Teatro, Willie’s best, most interesting an unique album.

• JRM on December 24, 2010 at 22:14

Teatro and Wrecking Ball were both produced around the same time by Daniel Lanois, thus the similarities. Teatro’s great, but Spirit and Red Headed Stranger get my vote for most interesting and unique. There’s so much variety in Willies albums; something for almost everyone.

• JRM on December 24, 2010 at 22:31

Ah, maybe Teatro does top the other two…

2. Jeff on December 24, 2010 at 20:58

And where she got her start. They are still the best duo in alt.country music and have been since the 70’s.

3. Bay Area Sparky on December 24, 2010 at 22:32

The song “Goodbye” which Emmy performs was written by Steve Earle.

Willie Nelson’s album Teatro and Emmy’s album “Wrecking Ball” were both produced by Daniel Lanois.

Here’s my favorite from Wrecking Ball with Emmy accompanied by sideman extraordinaire, Buddy Miller. Live perfection. Patty Griffin and Shawn Colvin are also onstage.

4. JRM on December 24, 2010 at 19:06

Emmylou is one of my favorites. Three or four years ago when I was in Nashville for work right before Christmas I noticed a poster on the wall in my favorite West End microbrewery (Bosco’s) advertising a Christmas concert in a downtown church that very night. Emmylou’s name was the one that caught my eye. My buddy and I rushed down there and slipped into the back and caught the last half of a beautiful intimate Christmas concert by Emmylou and a bunch of other amazing performers in a great setting.
    Merry Christmas,
    John

5. Paula on December 25, 2010 at 04:44

Outstanding site!!! I came across it yesterday, have thoroughly enjoyed perusing it; in fact I can’t keep away. I am so impressed I am going to add it as a link on my website right next to Robb. I admire your journalistic balls, you are so not PFC. Merry Christmas, I’ve a got a pastured chuck roast in the oven with organic tubers and homemade beef stock.

• Richard Nikoley on December 25, 2010 at 09:57

Thanks Paula. I really appreciate that and am glad you like it.

Regarding not PFC, I think Robb & I have that in common.