Sunday Rock Prog Rock

This one took a bit of searching. I had something in mind, took a while to zero in on.

So, let me ask you; you know Kansas, right. Who doesn’t…Cary On Wayward Son? And while I’ve always loved that song, it’s not really Kansas.

Here’s Kansas — The Pinnacle — in 9+ wonderful minutes, in the best spirit of Prof Rock.

Taking a good listen to many of those elements it’s a total mystery to me how they never really made it.

I didn’t spend time looking into this, but far older (way older) and still amazing: live Performance of The Wall.

Alright. Bea has girls over tonight for wine, finger food and cards, and the forthcoming banality forces me to seek refuge at the pub. Outta here.

Later: What the hell; check out Icarus.

1. Matt on December 13, 2010 at 07:49

Funny, I was turned onto Yes as a teen but never made the jump to Kansas. I guess I went a little heavier and started going toward Dream Theater and others like them. I’ve been looking for something I haven’t heard yet that will entertain me, and I think I’ll check out some Kansas. Thanks!

2. Stratispho on December 12, 2010 at 20:18

Kansas never gets much recognition when it comes to great classic rock bands. I’ve often wondered why. The only thing I can think of is they weren’t ‘hard’ enough compared to a lot of the bands that were more well known.

3. Daniel on December 12, 2010 at 21:00

Wow. That first video is amazing. That is definitely a side of Kansas I’d never seen before.. reminds me of Yes a little bit. Even if someone didn’t necessarily like that song, they would be fucking clueless not to acknowledge the sheer musical prowess displayed in that video. I love the guy shredding both the keys and guitar- what a badass.

• Richard Nikoley on December 13, 2010 at 07:54

Reminds me of Genesis a bit too. And maybe some ELP.

4. Trish on December 12, 2010 at 22:17

Kansas had two albums that sold four-plus million copies, I’d hardly call that “not making it.” What killed them was a couple of members becoming fundies.

And yes, there are a lot of similarities between Kansas and Yes. When I was barely a teenager in the late seventies my older brother had a friend who loved both bands, and they’d get smoked up on the porch and go between Kansas and Yes albums. To me except for the singers the bands sounded remarkably alike (Jon Anderson remains one of the most distinctive vocalists in rock much like Geddy Lee).

• Richard Nikoley on December 12, 2010 at 23:19

Come on, Trish. Please don’t fuck with me because I’m never in the mood for it.

You know exactly what I mean about Kansas not making it. Who doesn’t?

Even Einstein (hint hint) knows it.

• Trish on December 13, 2010 at 05:48

Dude, it was REALLY late on the East Coast and there may or may not have been alcohol and the autistic spectrum involved (well, one definitely). Fucking with not intentional.

• Richard Nikoley on December 13, 2010 at 07:17

Ha! You too, huh? No sweat, Trish. 🙂

5. Chris G on December 13, 2010 at 00:10

Kansas was my favorite band of that era. I saw them live twice – and unlike most prog rock bands, they could deliver live where many of the other bands lost a lot from studio. Walsh was an electric performer – high energy, could really get the crowd going. And Livgren was the “mad genius” who wrote most of the material. Unfortunately, his religious conversion created a rift that they never overcame – which is why they didn’t “make it” like some other groups. You had to have the main geniuses – Walsh & Livgren – working together & they couldn’t. Their heyday was great, but attempts at coming back & prolonging the legacy were doomed, unlike some of the other bands.

By the way, Livgren continued to make great music – first in has Christian band “A.D.” – he assembled some great talent & recorded 2 very worthwhile albums – and then he got together with some old band-mates from earlier versions of Kansas & called it “Proto-Kaw” – they recorded albums in his barn/home studio & they are available on his website: http://www.numavox.com/home.htm

He also created some additional albums, collaborating with various musicians he got to know during his career, including the Kansas guys, also available there. I bot some through i-tunes &you can hear the genius. Too bad he could keep it together with Walsh.

6. William on December 14, 2010 at 00:01

Finding “Free the Animal” two years ago literally changed my life for the better. But to this day I am astonished by how many people who adhere to the paleo diet, are also libertarians/market-anarchists, and have a passion for prog rock. Never have I had this much in common with people from the hamlets in which I have resided.

For those who love prog rock , as I do, this may be of interest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6uWZpIiMY

• gallier2 on December 15, 2010 at 09:13