Fat Head: The Full Documentary, Now Free on Hulu

I’ve blogged about Tom Naughton’s film Fat Head a few times in the past and of course, you can still get the DVD at Amazon. And at Tom’s site for the film, you can watch a number of short clips.

Or, what the hell, you can just watch the whole thing for free at Hulu.com.

I bring this up now, well, because in the natural order of things, readers come and go and I can’t think of a better way to introduce a new reader to so much important information as is detailed in that film. It’s really two films in one, the first half more-or-less covering what I’d generally call The vegan Menace and the second half covering the Saturated Fat Con, Cholesterol Con, and the Sugar, Grains and Vegetables Oils Con. Lots of cons. Lots of con men. Karen De Coster just did a review of it: The Movie “Fathead” – Anti-Establishment, Anti-Lifestyle Fascism, and Very Libertarian. I’d add as well that Tom spices it up with a lot of humor and irony. Karen writes:

Tom Naughton, the writer and director of the movie, combats the lies and distortions of Morgan Spurlock and his film Super Size Me, a film that that blamed corporate America – specifically, fast food giants – for giving consumers exactly what they want to eat. I think the entire production is brilliant, especially Naughton’s mining of resources (see what he reads here) that enables him to create a very slick visual that does a superb job of exposing the political and special interest-influenced lies that have created an obese and pharmaceutical-dependent American population while corporate state partners reap gorgeous profits thanks to government policy that favors their interests. While Spurlock’s Super Size Me blames Ronald McDonald, Naughton blames the corporatist state that is enabled by Big Government and its Lifestyle Central Planners (he calls them “the evangelists”). At one point in the beginning film credits, Naughton shows a fast food box with the following printed on the side: Ingredients: Media Gullibility, Radical Vegetarianism, Class Snobbery, Bologna.

Many other good insights, so go read the whole review, and then watch the film if you haven’t. Or watch it again if you’re feeling in need of revival.

And then go spread the word. This is a great way to introduce friends, family and co-workers to a little bit of food sanity. Use the Facebook and Twitter buttons at the top of the post.

1. lalo on March 9, 2011 at 10:38

that that fukers

• Brooks on March 9, 2011 at 12:02

I confess I may have downloaded the torrent the first time I saw it, but I liked it so much I went and bought four copies of the DVD off Amazon. If you are gonna watch it illegally due to stupid copyright restrictions that make it unavailable in your country, at least consider buying a copy or two of the DVD (even if it won’t play in your region).

Every time I have shown this movie to family and friends when I was in the room, they enjoyed it and were amazed. Every time I have given the DVD to someone and asked if they liked it, they said no, they thought it was stupid. I think people are very reluctant to believe the complete opposite of what they’ve been told their whole lives regarding healthy diets, especially when it comes from a comedian. Don’t get me wrong, this movie pretty much changed my life, but a lot of people hate it.

• Dave Fish on March 9, 2011 at 15:05

The only problem with downloading the torrent is that Tom doesn’t get any royalties. You can order an international version from his website, or at least make a donation on his website. I’m not sure he’s in the black yet with this documentary.

• John on March 10, 2011 at 09:02

Agree wholeheartedly. Naughton sure didn’t pick that topic for the money anyway. I hope he’s in the black; the film is an incredible and important contribution.

And who else could have make the information funny (and thus accessible)? No one that I can imagine.

• tracker on March 10, 2011 at 11:58

Another option, give traffic to his blog. He’s got ads on it so I’m sure he gets money from that. See an ad that interests you and you want to support him, then click the ad.

• Sigi on March 11, 2011 at 23:00

Yes to this. Support Tom.

2. Jim Arkus on March 9, 2011 at 08:11

Love it. I added this to my Netflix queue back when you first posted about it. It quietly appeared on there last week and I watched it. Fantastic movie. I went and bought a copy anyway to pass it around to friends and family – I think it will win a lot more converts than “Good Calories, Bad Calories” (which is too long) or even the Primal Blueprint (which has the caveman stigma). Then I emailed Tom to thank him for the movie and tell him how much I liked it, and he emailed me back and thanked me for buying a movie I’d already seen!

• Jim Arkus on March 9, 2011 at 08:12

Nice – I don’t think I’ve ever been the first commenter on a blog post before.

3. Jan on March 9, 2011 at 08:15

We have the DVD and keep buying copies for our friends and family, and I recently plugged it’s presence on HuLu.com myself.

My 16-year-old told me the other day that he couldn’t sleep, and watched it on Netflix (it is apparently available in the instant queue for those of you who subscribe). That makes 5 or 6 viewings for him.

• Richard Nikoley on March 9, 2011 at 08:40

I’ve seen it about four times, the first being on my computer during a flight to Puerto Vallarta when it first came out two years ago. The other viewings had been with family or friends and I have not yet had a single person not express total amazement and enlightenment.

There isn’t a boring moment in the whole thing and I think that whith each subsequent viewing I pick up an additional integration or two.

4. Sean on March 9, 2011 at 10:26

You can only watch it on Hulu.com if you have a US IP address. There’s a whole world out here beyond your California and United States, and I think it’s time you recognized its existence. You arrogant Americans are all the same!

Actually, I’ve been trying to get my folks to watch Fat Head to no avail. I also ordered them a copy of the Primal Blueprint which goes unread. I certainly hope this leads to a lot more exposure for Tom. It really is a great introduction. Perhaps with enough groundswell, Tom could quit his day job and make a sequel.

• Richard Nikoley on March 9, 2011 at 11:46

You should be able to do it via a US proxy server or a VPN. Google around.

• Sean on March 9, 2011 at 12:12

Thanks Richard, but I was just attempting to joke about allegedly ego-centric Americans.

5. lalo on March 9, 2011 at 10:36

” can only be streamed from within the us ”

🙁

6. TandooriChicken on March 9, 2011 at 12:20

I have to admit, my favorite part was …. *Do I know these shades look ridiculous? Yes. Do I care? Absolutely not.*

7. Travis on March 9, 2011 at 16:46

That’s good news, thanks for posting it.

8. Tom Naughton on March 9, 2011 at 17:23

Thank you, Richard. Amazon has been out of stock for awhile (distributor has promised to fix that), but the DVD is available directly through the blog. We produced a DVD that works outside the U.S. as well. Netflix subscribers in the U.S. can stream it as well.

9. Fat Head the movie now on Hulu – Go watch it | Life is dynamite! on March 10, 2011 at 10:00

[…] by Emily My favorite paleo blog, Free The Animal, had a link to the Fathead movie and a review in a recent post. I watched it and it is great. The premise behind the documentary is to be an answer to Supersize […]

10. Trish on March 10, 2011 at 15:25

To hot Russian girl–“Can you say ‘moose and squirrel’?”

TOM NAUGHTON FTW

11. Vincent on March 11, 2011 at 09:40

Hi Richard,

Thanks. I’ve just finished watching FATHEAD and it’s awesome! Too bad my mom and sis don’t speak english well enough to understand it. I’ve not always agreed on your point of views (especially toward my country man Mr Ewan “I make money of american people selling them something I’ve never invented but still sells it by pretending I improved it” LeCorre. But your blog is ALWAYS interesting to read and ALWAYS provide for good conversations with my carb loving friends here in France.

12. geekfish on March 12, 2011 at 17:54

Richard, Thanks for putting the link to FatHead on Hulu right in the post. I have heard mention of this movie several times and have not watched it. Your link pushed me over the edge and a great thank you for that.

13. EdwinB on March 12, 2011 at 18:25

Richard thanks for this one. Got my wife to watch this one with me. 30 minutes into it she was cussing and damn near crying. She’s always had issues with weight and has been a yo-yo dieter. This movie really reached her and she’s doing her on reading on low carb eating patterns now.

14. Fat Head: The Full Documentary, Now Free on Hulu | Free The Animal on March 20, 2011 at 10:57

Fat Head: The Full Documentary, Now Free on Hulu | Free The Animal…

[…]I’ve just finished watching FATHEAD and it’s awesome! Too bad my mom and sis don’t speak english well enough to understand it. I’ve not always agreed on your point of views (especially toward my country man Mr Ewan “I make money of american pe…