Idle Sunday Afternoon Meanderings

I think that the older one gets, the weirder it can be when weird things suddenly pop into your mind for no apparent reason, and that you haven’t thought about for years, even decades.

Well, I can’t even remember the last time I thought about this film from 1965/6 that my parents saw at a drive in. I was only 5 years old at the time, but still recall certain scenes clearly. I suspect they figured I’d just be asleep in the back of the station wagon and would never remember a thing. I was justing along this morning and suddenly, it popped into my mind. Google is a fabulous thing, since I had no idea the title of the film. My first search was "70s movie human blood paintings," which turned up nothing; and changing the 7 to a 6 turned up everything.

Color Me Blood Red (a film by Hershell Gordan Lewis)

Now, you’ve got to get a load of this movie trailer, which, for whatever unimaginable and silly reason, has embedding disabled (for a 1965 low budget very bad horror flick?). And yet, you can watch the whole awful film on YouTube. And you can embed it, too. Oh, well.

Can’t imagine why anyone would want to take the time to watch it, beyond the "archeological" aspect of the thing, but the trailer linked above is a real hoot.

Anyone have any examples of weird shit popping into their heads decades later, totally out of context?

1. RDH on March 20, 2011 at 22:13

We’re remodeling my parents’ house. (The IRS graciously to allow us to keep it in our family since my mother died in 2010.) The place is a treasure trove of memories as I grew up there.

The old RCA stereo/8-track/radio/phonograph is still in the living room. It reminded me of some lyrics I’d heard on it years ago, on the old Dr. Demento show. The song was called “Coffee Freak” and I can recall the chorus clearly. ((I’ll spare you a recitation.)

Googled it. It was played once, in 1980, and I’ve not heard it before or since.

Why that particular splinter has been jammed into my brain for over 30 years remains an utter mystery to me.

2. Jan on March 20, 2011 at 15:45

Oh, good gawd yes. I won’t tell you how it came about, but my husband had me singing “Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs. What kind of kid eats Armour hot dogs? Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks…” The really sad thing in it all is that I remembered ALL of the words.

Jesus, I’m old.

• Richard Nikoley on March 20, 2011 at 15:59

Jan:

Sorry to do this to you, but, “My baloney has a first name….”

🙂

3. Walt on March 20, 2011 at 15:53

It gets worse (google makes it worse).
    From remembering Johnny Mercer, to Skylark (from Midnight in the garden of good and evil) to:
    OMG! the lyrics to Midnight Sun. Then trying to remember the second verse all day.

4. Mario on March 20, 2011 at 15:54

And people think the youth is fucked up.

• Richard Nikoley on March 20, 2011 at 15:58

Mario:

Laf!

Good one, and I do believe you have a point. But if you’re not there, yet, just wait!

5. Alex Good on March 20, 2011 at 19:44

I was thinking about how much I hate my brother when I remembered pulling him away from the edge of a roof during a war reenactment (something involving Canada vs. america, so it was old feeling). We were eating lunch on the roof of a three story building and the numbskull ran for the edge. I was younger than 5 which made him 3 or younger.
    And of course my mother yelled at me for not letting him have fun. The bitch.

6. Greg Weatherford on March 20, 2011 at 20:26

What popped into my head was triggered by your mentioning the drive in while your parents thought you were asleep. I remember going to a drive in with my parents. We watched some Disney show then my brother and I were supposed to go to sleep in the backseat of our 67 Dodge Dart while my parents watched the feature movie, whatever the heck it was I don’t remember. However, there was another movie on another screen behind us that I watched without sound. It was “the Andromeda Strain” (1969…thanks to google) and gave this 6 year old nightmares for weeks!

7. mehitabel on March 20, 2011 at 21:09

Fasting causes memories to come bubbling up.
    I fast intermittently, when the body seems to be calling for it, usually just a day or two. Five days once last year.
    This last February was bitch of a winter in Illinois and I had zero appetite for 4 or 5 days. Stuck in my drive for two weeks–wheels frozen in ice.
    23 days–water only.
    Like a witches’ brew, the memories bubbled. Therapy? — maybe.
    I even remembered sharing a ham salad sandwich with my mom at a drugstore counter before I was even in gradeschool.
    It was a good fast, with an unexpected and unwelcome side effect — It reawakened a long dormant sweet tooth. Gotta beat that sucka down again.

8. Bushrat on March 21, 2011 at 02:56

One of the scariest movies I saw when I was a litte kid, as the midday movie no less, was Them (1954). I was scared of ants from then on. In my defence, in Australia we have ants that are almost as big as those from that movie.

9. Rip on March 21, 2011 at 11:12

And I’m only 28.

10. slowe on March 21, 2011 at 18:58

Random crap pops into my head all the time, but that’s not why I’m here.

I had to comment because your story reminded me of when I was about five, my parents went to see Omega Man at the drive in. Of course, I was ordered not to look. Holy Crap! I’ve had that movie stuck in my head for years. Guess I shouldn’t have looked.