I finally raised my body temperature above the 97s

At long last

I had a relatively idle day yesterday, and knowing it would be so from the start, I did what I often do on such a Saturday, Sunday morning — or both — laying in bed around 8ish, room well awash in sun despite curtains — just enjoying trying to sleep more, though not pushing the issue…rather being content when it actually does happen to suddenly realize it’s 10am, and far from feeling guilty, I rejoice.

Something just feels right with my life.

But in this case something wasn’t right and I contemplated, then decided. I have low body temperature. If I ever bother to measure it seems perfectly happy in the upper 97s, most of the time. But I need and want to burn brighter, even if for shorter. Because I just fucking know. There are no long term considerations. 98.6, sucker, or you’re just not like everybody else and you know what that means. How can you then trust an authoritarian-contrarian guru? How can a guru operate without some sembalnce of a path or formula for everyone to follow? And I’m especially keen to learn more about aspects of this sort of deal. I’ve got lots of readers and its like herding cats, sometimes. Every joker out there seems to think they know what’s best for them. They even have the audacity to think they’re special and don’t need a body temperature pegged at 98.6 degrees fahrenheit, read from a device stuck in their mouth or under their arm. I mean, there are health authorities on YouTube who wear their baseball caps backwards!!! How much more credible can you get?

So I spent yesterday working on raising my body temperature. And I got it all the way up to 100.3, at the highest point I actually measured (it’s a secret how I did it, but I’ll soon have a "Free Ebook"). For some odd reason, I felt quite bad, which I of course attributed to getting better. I was sure that increased body temperature means increased metabolism, et cetera, et cetera. And funny thing, the less of nothing I ate, the more my temp went up — for a while — and because I was on a "more is better" mission, I just kept on not eating as the temp increased, and then I ended up not eating since about noon — I didn’t feel like it anyway — and it’s 24 hours later at this point. I’m a bit perplexed, because I thought I could only even have a sufficient body temperature if I "eat the food." On the other hand, I’m just a newbie at all this cutting edge stuff. Word on the street is, I can even do better if I start downing spoonfulls of refined sugar per day. That could be a problem though. I still have to work out my inner, natural resistance to eating lots of sweets since I don’t naturally crave them, or rather, crave them over another piece of meat if its available. But if that’s what it gonna take to get that body temperature up and have a high metabolism so I can eat high to metabolize high, even when sitting on my ass or am deep in sleep for my normal 8 hours, well, that’s what it’s gonna take.

Spent the night in alternating modes of freezing and sweating. No doubt, my body was adjusting to increasing its Schwarzstonebein metabolism. Or, maybe I’m just "detoxing." Or, maybe I’m just "not doing it right"…

…Unfortunately, it all didn’t last. Woke up this morning after a pretty good three hours without alternating cold sweats and I was back to a very disappointing 97.8 degrees.

I’m such a failure.

[Some of you, especially new readers & visitors aren’t going to really get the foregoing. If you hang around comments I’m sure things will become obvious soon enough. There’s lots of tongue-in-cheek, inside joking for the benefit of longtime readers. Sorry for the diversion and back to regularly scheduled programming soon enough.]

1. Kyle Bennett on April 11, 2011 at 17:49

You cold-hearted bastard. Maybe you should buy some extra degrees at the local healthfoodz mart, I’m sure they have some wrapped in pretty plastifoil packages festooned with words like “Energy!”.

2. Laurie D. on April 11, 2011 at 17:34

Hahaha, poor poor Schwar”stone”bein! As an anatomy teacher, I have to teach every year that 98.6 is just an average, not the ideal human temperature. The normal range for human temperature is 97.6 – 99.6 or thereabouts. The 98.6 figure was arrived at in 1896 by Wunderlich who averaged temperatures from the armpits of 25,000 people. It is a meaningless number really (and certainly not a fun job for Wunderlich, I’m sure). I’m not sure why certain bloggers are obsessed with 98.6 or milk for that matter.

• Elliot on April 11, 2011 at 23:25

37° C = 98.6° F

People think the .6 indicates accuracy, but it’s just the conversion from a whole number in Centigrade to Fahrenheit.

• jenny on April 12, 2011 at 07:15

wait….there’s more than one way to measure things? i thought farenheit and inches were the only way. next you’ll be telling me some people use a metric system….how RIDICULOUS!

• Carol on May 1, 2017 at 18:35

I learned in biology in high school back in the 60’s that 98.6 is normal temp. Doctors have run out of ideas and will accept anything that’s not a fever. I’ve had a below normal temp for many years and I’ve been sick since birth. Long story short is that it finally dawned on me that my low temp was causing all my crazy symptoms. And it used to drop even lower and leave me flue like and fatigued. At one point years ago, I felt really well one day and was getting things done. I wondered what my temp was and it was 98.6. WOW! That’ proved to me about normal body temp. didn’t dawn on me till last week that instead of trying to treat symptoms (like I say, long story) I need to find a way to raise my temp to 98.6 and keep it there (and I’m trying prayer as well which I believe in). Your site was one of the ones I ran across. Thanks for sharing. Carol

3. Scott Miller on April 11, 2011 at 17:50

First, the 98.6 level is purely mythical. As mythical as saturate fat being unhealthy, or that cholesterol should be under 200. Do you research on this.

I’ve been taking bio-identical thyroid hormone for several years. Along with other bio-identical hormones since I was 41. I rate this type of treatment as a no-brainer. People like de Vany, for example, would likely feel and perform even better, but most paleo people out there appear to have blind spots and don’t take advantage of ALL available longevity betterment options. Weird.

Me, I’m doing EVERYTHING I can to live a long, maximally exciting/active life. No stone left unturned. And based on the extensive health tests I do yearly, it’s all working synergistically to produce results that normal doctors would find incredible.

• Richard Nikoley on April 11, 2011 at 17:54

Yes, well for me, whether it’s that over 40 thing or my bad diet of 47 years previous I do have clinical hypoT, though never ay of the symptoms described. But I do take a pig of desiccated pig thyroid gland most days for good measure.

• dr. gabriella kadar on April 11, 2011 at 19:53

Inflammatory cytokines? I’m totally missing the joke here. I figure 97 is fine. As we get older, temperatures that are up to 100.3 are low grade fever and can make us feel achey and under the weather. Our fever response get blunted as we age. Whatever the joke, I’m late to the party, as usual.

• Richard Nikoley on April 11, 2011 at 20:20

Yes, Gabriella, none of this is to be taken seriously, other than I did have a fever of 100.3 (I missed Foreigner’s mark of a hundred & three…). Two parties, two nights in a row, one for Bea’s family and my mom’s 70th. I think I picked up something Friday night that gave me a slight sore throat throughout Saturday and then blasted me all day yesterday, with the accompanying achey muscles, particularly the rump.

But it’s remarkable how good nutrition and perhaps adequate vitamin D levels really takes care of an infection in short order. I’ve been operating at 100% since this morning.

• Richard Nikoley on April 11, 2011 at 20:21

Oh, and Gabriella, just search the blog for ‘body temperature’ and/or ‘matt stone’ and you’ll soon enough get the joke.

• Darien Shields on December 18, 2011 at 17:15

” But, in any any case, hypothyroidism is real, especially for people 40+. Due to ongoing degradation of cellular mechanisms, thanks especially to cellular waste accumulation and advance glycation end-products, we experience a decline of hormone production across the board. If you go to the right type of doctor, you will be properly accessed for this, and likely found in need of thyroid hormone supplementation.”

Mild subclinical hypothyroidism has been seen at ages post 50 as indicator of long lifespan.

In fact the following is suggestive…

“The second example is the relationship between thyroid levels and aging. Animal studies demonstrate a correlation between extended life span and a decrease in thyroid function (46). Many animal models of exceptional longevity demonstrate significantly decreased or absent thyroid function (47, 48, 49), suggesting a causative relationship between thyroid function and life span. Furthermore, experimentally induced hypothyroidism in young rats results in extended life span, whereas inducing hyperthyroidism results in significantly shorter life span (50, 51). The precise mechanisms responsible for the effects of hypothyroidism on life span have not been clarified, although multiple actions of thyroid hormone (including lowering of the metabolic rate, lowering core body temperature and oxygen consumption, and reducing reactive oxygen species generation and oxidative damage) appear to play an important role in longevity ”

With regards to body temperature

“Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging scientists found that men who had lower core body temperatures, probably for genetic reasons, lived significantly longer than men with higher body temperatures. So it appears body temperature may predict longevity in humans, too.”-

• Richard Nikoley on December 18, 2011 at 19:32

That I might have to look into, since I’m clinically Hypo with none of the symptoms.

You out to post this comment on Sone’s blog.

4. Austin on April 11, 2011 at 17:52

I nearly spit out my morning coffee when I saw this update on twitter.

5. Josh on April 11, 2011 at 18:50

Talk about a complete turnaround…it’s almost a 180…

• MountainDew on April 26, 2011 at 17:25

Well played, Sir. Well played!

6. Contemplationist on April 11, 2011 at 19:50

HAHAH

Yeah Matt Stone and “180 degree health” isn’t it? Nice one!

7. Don Matesz on April 11, 2011 at 20:09

Ah, so you finally got “STONED”! And “high” too! or is that too high?

8. Freelee's Implants on April 11, 2011 at 21:11

Speaking of Fat Matt, I certainly hope we can look forward to another adventure in exploring his Stoned thinking sometime soon…

9. TandooriChicken on April 11, 2011 at 21:28

Hilarious. You almost had me at the first paragraph, but I got the joke when I got down to “But I need and want to burn brighter, even if for shorter.” Well, part of me is hoping that you are really joking. Otherwise, I’m ready to punch you in the face through the Internet.

If I ever decide to get a PhD in anything remotely biology related, I’ll try to get a research project on Schwarzstonebeinian metabolism to pass muster with my thesis committee.

10. Tomasz R. on April 12, 2011 at 01:22

Is this true that people with Rh- blood tend to have naturally lower body temperatures?

11. Tomasz R. on April 12, 2011 at 01:27

That level of temperatures is not recommended by Doug Graham:

12. Mario on April 12, 2011 at 04:22

“In this study, Dr. Casadevall and his Einstein coauthor, Aviv Bergman, Ph.D., professor and founding chair of systems & computational biology, devised a mathematical model that analyzed the benefits gained by body temperatures that protect against fungi versus the costs (in terms of extra food consumption) required to maintain body temperatures between 30° and 40° C. The optimal temperature for maximizing benefits while minimizing costs was found to be 36.7° C”

Irony appart, your normal temperature appears to be right on the spot!

• Tomasz R. on April 12, 2011 at 08:08

Increasing body temperature is a proven way to speed up fat loss. Bodybuilders know this, and use various thermogenic supplements:

The comparisons to the current drugs used for dieting are astounding […] DNP can deliver a relatively controlled 50% elevation in resting metabolic rate.
      […]
      Overheating – There is no upper limit to DNP’s body temperature increase, meaning that one may literally “cook from the inside” if they take too much.”

• Richard Nikoley on April 12, 2011 at 22:00

And so is cold immersion. The point is, those are acute, short term measures and not long term chronic, as is being preached.

13. Christ on April 12, 2011 at 06:53

haha
    I used to follow that guys blog until I realized it was just a contrarian circle jerk lubricated with logical fallacies.

14. Jenn on April 12, 2011 at 19:00

Hope you feel better! I was “detoxing” out my sinuses this weekend. I had leaky snot syndrome.

15. TMS on April 12, 2011 at 23:33

That ScienceDaily article that was linked to was very interesting. I just did a quick search of the web and found a couple of interesting things. When German physician Carl Wunderlich established the normal human body temperature of 98.6F back in 1861 he was using a miscalibrated thermometer. That’s right, the thermometer that Wunderlich was using was reading high by .5 degrees F. Also the 98.6 (really 98.1 we now know) that he came up with was an average of temps taken at different times of day. So 98.1 is the normal average temp throughout the day, which means that the normal morning temp is less than 98.1. The body temp rises throughout the day. So a normal morning temp is more like 97.5. Anyway, why we are using 150 yr old reaearch to base our benchmark of normal human body temperature is beyond me. The better evidence seems to suggest 98.1 is normal. And of course there is variation from person to person that in no way indicates any pathology or sub-optimal function but mere difference.

16. Pat on April 20, 2011 at 11:58

Richard, I share your struggle. I also have a low body temperature, and I decided to do something about it- something obvious. If I want heat, I need to go to the source and that is fire.

The doctors tell me I lost over 30 lbs and all within about 10 minutes (and the screaming was very therapeutic). Most of it was skin and hair, but it’s still weight lost. And until the skin grafts have finished healing they have this cool device that lets you type on a computer with your tongue.

17. Hugh on April 26, 2011 at 12:43

You may have fixed your body temperature problems, but from your sentence structure and word choice I can tell you still have edema. (Trust me, I’ve read enough blog posts from the edema-inflicted to know how they write)

18. Nick on April 26, 2011 at 15:09

I would have bought your free ebook but unfortunately the link for it wasn’t in BIG RED LETTERS so it can’t be as thoroughly a well thought out and researched “ebook” as other “ebooks” out there that are advertised in BIG RED LETTERS. bummer. maybe next time you’ll market it in the right size font and color.