Latest in Paleo Episode 17: The Diet of No-Diet

Yesterday morning I had the pleasure of recording a podcast episode of “Latest in Paleo,” a joint project of Angelo Coppola and the 5by5 network of podcasts.

And we had a blast doing it. After hours of post-production work by Angelo to work his magic of making it come off just like a 2-host morning drivetime show, it’s ready for a listen. I hope you enjoy it. We first discussed a bit about my personal background, the blog, and from there moving into talking about the Real Health Debate with 30 Bananas a Day, raw vegan promoter Harley Johnstone: why I did it, what the game plan was and so on.

Then we went back and forth on some of the current news of the day in food, from a paleo perspective.

• PepsiCo – New Yorker
  • Beaver Anal Glands in Ice Cream – Jamie Oliver on David Letterman
  • Fake Eggs
  • Exploding Watermelons – Fox News
  • Calcium Supplements Potentially Leading to Heart Disease
  • 25,000 Big Macs – USA Today

And to wrap things up and take it to almost an hour, 40 minutes in total, we delved into some of my recent posts and what I’m up to with it all — and even how a couple of posts from the past prefigured what I’m actively doing today.

It’s long, but I hope the banter between Angelo and I, along with his creative, professional production abilities make it an enjoyable experience for you. Comments are wide open so give ’em a rip if you like, either on the specifics topics covered or other health, fitness and food news as well.

1. Angelo on May 23, 2011 at 22:41

Anthony here. 🙂 Richard — great job. If the episode makes just one person think twice about putting crap into their mouths and start eating real food…it’s a win.

Here are the fake eggs that gave Richard the heebie jeebies:

• Sean on May 24, 2011 at 02:31

I really enjoyed what I heard, Angelo/Anthony/Mr X. As Richard said, very professional sound and production.

Unfortunately, I despise iTunes, and the web page preview button only played part of the interview before it stopped, not sure if that’s how it’s supposed to work. Also, I tried to pause it, and it started from the beginning again. I don’t suppose it is possible to simply download your interviews as mp3s like Jimmy Moore’s stuff?

Being forced to download some rather crappy invasive software is kind of a deal-breaker for me and perhaps others. When I had an iPod, I used Rockbox for that very reason.

2. jenny on May 23, 2011 at 10:11

i look forward to this listen. anthony’s podcast is always entertaining.

3. Contemplationist on May 23, 2011 at 11:51

Richard

I hate to criticize, but I found your usage of “you know” and “basically” as excessive.
    Again, I don’t mean to be rude or anything. It’s something I’ve excised from my own speech as well. It’s fine on a personal convo but in recorded interviews it might come across as excessive.

Don’t flame me! lol

4. Thomas on May 23, 2011 at 12:03

I love those podcast, keep it up 😉

5. Jim on May 23, 2011 at 17:00

Liked it! It could have been a drive time radio spot, good work Angelo!

• Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2011 at 17:10

Thank you, Jim, for putting the credit where it’s due. I was just the mic whore who shot off his mouth for an hour an a half — and happily, because I’m cheap, too. Angelo really put together a quality deal.

He’s so good, he can even make a cheap whore sound OK. 🙂

(This is all tongue in cheek, of course, for purposes of highlighting Angelo’s production value, which I consider enormous.)

6. Bob on May 23, 2011 at 17:20

I think you meant “Angelo” not “Anthony” in that last paragraph.

• Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2011 at 17:37

Indeed, but you’ll have to listen to the podcast where ai make the same error and we laugh about it, “Anthony” vows to leave it in because he had remarked how he’s bad with names

I’m just so self centered.

7. scott on May 24, 2011 at 09:25

There’s also a page with the podcast player embedded:

8. Contemplationist on May 23, 2011 at 22:07

Richard

I just noticed that you have a parallel spot with Nassim Taleb on the Ancestral Health Symposium. Talk about tough luck! Am I reading the schedule right? You are going to be speaking in Room B while Taleb’s in A? Damn

• Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2011 at 22:40

I’m not a whiner, complainer, or any such thing. But I might toss in an extra f-bomb for entertainmentm’s sake. The worst part of that is I won’t get to see him, and I was a fan at least a year before I heard of paleo.

Or even more ironic is that my presentation will in many ways figure him, while he’s speaking next door.

9. Lute Nikoley on May 23, 2011 at 22:09

Excellant interview, on both sides. Very informative.

10. George Phillips on May 23, 2011 at 23:38

RN: The f-bomb Swan!

11. Mic on May 24, 2011 at 01:09

Loved the podcast. Brightened up an otherwise very boring day on the freeway 🙂
    Anyone who can recommend any other great podcasts? I need something for the other 4 days a week 🙂

12. Sean on May 24, 2011 at 03:06

I wasn’t able to finish it for technical reasons but I think I heard the majority of it and it was informative and entertaining.

The issue of GM food came up, along with adulterated food. Now I know I’m in a huge minority (probably of one) but I simply don’t see the big deal with it, and I perceive it as a typically knee-jerk anti-corporashunny and anti-science reaction. All domesticated animals and pets are genetically modified by humans along with just about every cultivar.

Dwarf wheat, which people like Dr Davis feel are a huge part of the problem with modern diets, was not genetically modified in a laboratory, it was genetically modified through selective breeding. So what? It sucks so don’t eat it.

There’s nothing inherently better about mixing genes in a lab as opposed to the back seat of a Plymouth, the second way is more fun, of course.

As far as China and the dangerous crap they produce, I believe the causes are quite simple, lack of a fourth estate and the rule of law.

• Aaron Blaisdell on June 3, 2011 at 06:40

Sean, I agree with you to a large extent, except that, to my knowledge, most of the genetic modifications are to increase growth and pest resistance. It’s the latter phenotypic changes that are the real problem, because pest resistance in grains is increased by increasing the natural production of lectins and other anti-nutrients. That’s why the “pests” won’t touch the stuff and why it’s even more harmful to humans than are the ancestral grains. But I agree with you that genetic modification is simply a scientific tool that speeds up and more strategically selects a change in a particular phenotype through more rapid and selective changes in genes than in the older methods of artificial selection.

13. Bob on May 24, 2011 at 04:58

Quote:
    “Being forced to download some rather crappy invasive software is kind of a deal-breaker for me and perhaps others.”

Yes… When it asked me to download iTunes… I said… “Hey! What’s this crap?” and missed the interview. Too bad.

–Bob

14. Kim C. on May 24, 2011 at 10:22

Awesome podcast!

I listen to Latest in Paleo every Monday morning, while I prep my family’s “real food” meals for the day. As I listened, I made bacon for my son’s and husband’s breakfast (and my lunch – on a salad), cut sweet potato to bake in CO for dinner, boiled some eggs and prepped a meatloaf for dinner. Mmmm, real food!

I’m liking Angelo’s format for guests. The conversation adds another level to what is a superb show. You are definitely right about the production level – amazing!

• Angelo on May 24, 2011 at 11:04

Kim —

Thanks for the kind words and for listening. And congrats for taking such good care of your family. We can all use better Mondays…hopefully I’m doing my part with Latest in Paleo. 🙂

15. jenny on May 24, 2011 at 11:58

dick and tony ( 🙂 )-good job. it was as great as i thought a collaboration between the two of you would be.

16. Kristy on May 26, 2011 at 21:02

Loved it! Great interview, great show.

17. Tracy Longacre on May 30, 2011 at 05:07

Richard,

Thanks for that. This was actually my first listen to The Latest in Paleo and it was excellent. Then I ODed — listened to 4 or 5 previous episodes yesterday. Phew!

• Angelo on June 1, 2011 at 13:04

Um, Tracy. That’s a lot of my voice in your ear. I hope you tolerated it OK. 🙂 Thanks for checking out the show!