Sunday Rock – Friday’s Furthur Concert & Jingo

A week or so ago my brother rang me up.

“Hey, I’ve got four VIP box tickets for a concert next Friday at Shoreline. You and Bea wanna go with Dawn & I?” I really didn’t pay any attention to who it was — with all the balls I’ve been juggling, lately — and I still hadn’t by the time we drove into the VIP parking lot just adjacent to the exclusive bar and food area. I know, amazing I hadn’t bothered to take into account who we were seeing; but now and then, I’m happy to go along for a good ride and not ask any questions. I actually do like surprises. From the sound of it, it was to be some R&B deal which would suit me just fine anyway. He had rattled off a couple of guys’ names, which hadn’t rung a bell.

…But that’s only because I’ve never been a Dead Head, never understood them — even though a cousin, who’s among a very small collection of “my favorite people in the world,” is one. But I’ve never really connected with him, at that level — even though I have a few Grateful Dead albums in my collection including one or two as a gift from him.

Here’s two 25 second clips, the first one as it was still light, the next from darkness.

Further: Clips from 6/3/11 Shoreline Concert from Richard Nikoley on Vimeo.

You might notice the wafts of smoke towards the right of the frame in the daylight clip. Guess? The sweet aroma of marijuana burning is nothing new at concerts, of course, but this seriously puts every concert I’ve ever been to – to shame. This was intense and it permeated the entire venue at all times. But better than that, nobody was being surreptitious at all. Completely out in the open, though not as if to flaunt. These were cool people as I came to observe over hours. Peaceful. People.

In the next box over there was a young farmer of 130 acres in Mendocino — growing raspberries, some other berries, and, I would suppose, marijuana. He had processed some of his crop into a sort of hashish, which he was mixing with tobacco to roll, as the Europeans do.

…It was just as I’d remembered. And then Bentley sent me off with a nice nugget for a rainy day with some friends…

Oh, yea, this is also a food blog.

Breakfast
Breakfast

It’s a new local restaurant I’ve found that’s happy to do my eggs in butter and mix me up a wonderfully varied fruit bowl to substitute for the potatoes and toast. I never get the hash browns, anymore. That shit just reeks rancid, to me.

Oh, yea, this is a Sunday Rock post so let’s get to a couple of clips. The fist one, a classic from 1970: Carlos Santana, Live; Jingo.

Next up, same thing but recent; twice as long, but with Eric Clapton and Cosmic Carlos jamming to Jingo. Here’s the deal: I don’t do a lot of Sunday Rock posts, as I used to, because I only post videos I can enjoy for 2-3 viewings, fist. So hope you enjoy, too.

Wow, I really like both of those two selections.

1. BMcD on June 5, 2011 at 20:21

Carlos and EC. Talk about primal. A simple groove repeating and building. Two masters trading heartfelt phrasing. This is to Top-40 corporate pop as a naturally raised cut of meat is to franken-foods. Thanks for posting.

2. Paleo Josh on June 5, 2011 at 22:28

I can see Grok enjoying a joint or two. Is marijuana primal/paleo?

• mehitabel on June 5, 2011 at 23:02

Are the stars primal?

3. Dan Linehan on June 6, 2011 at 02:42

On this topic, here’s something I wish someone had told me years ago: if you want to zone out and watch a trippy movie, indica is the way to go. However, if you actually want to actually have some energy and not feel that lazy, “couchlock” sensation, sativa blends are where it’s at. Totally different experiences as far as I’m concerned.

4. Trish on June 6, 2011 at 03:41

My boyfriend in college turned into a major Deadhead and loves bands like Furthur. I went to a couple of Dead shows with him back in the nineties. I don’t mind the music but it seems repetitious after a while and I knew there were people there strictly to get high or buy drugs–mostly jocks and frat boys. I’d love to go see Carlos Santana sometime though. It’d be a killer show high, I’d bet.

5. Daniel on June 6, 2011 at 06:38

“And then Bentley sent me off with a nice nugget for a rainy day with some friends…”

Damn Richard, that’s some pretty advanced MJ vernacular- are you sure you ain’t more of a stoner then you’re letting on? Haha, just messin. If you want to see large plumes of sweet smoke you should go to a concert here in Denver!

6. rob on June 6, 2011 at 07:41

My stoner/concert claim to fame is having attended a Bob Marley concert (Cambridge, I think it was summer of 78) though at the time I had no idea who he was and just went cause everybody else did.

Still irks me that I didn’t buy a t-shirt.

7. George Phillips on June 6, 2011 at 08:47

Watched Hendrix play 30th Aug 1970, UK Isle of Wight thrash. (along with 600,000 others! The organisers weren’t expecting over 1/2 a million kids; they let us all in for free.) 3 days no food or shit!

Last public performance for Jimi. (RIP 18th Sept ’70)

• Richard Nikoley on June 6, 2011 at 08:51

I often get ideas for a rock & roll post from what I hear on the classic rock station in the AM. Jimmy was second choice today, but I found what I was looking for with Carlos, this time. It often takes listening to at least parts of a dozen or more videos to get something really worth sharing. Jimmy will be featured one of these days.

I’ve seen some pretty good footage on various TV shows of that Isle of Wight deal over the years. Didn’t Jethro Tull also perform?

• George Phillips on June 6, 2011 at 13:13

Jethro Tull was there and The Who, who disappointingly (for an 18 year old) did not smash their instuments at the end of their set! Highlights for me were English blues band, ‘The Groundhogs’ and the brilliant irish guitarist Rory Gallager and his trio ‘Taste’.

When the security walls came down on the first day we all moved off the overlooking hillside and into the ‘arena’ where the few ticket payers had been. We (600.000) crammed into an impossibly small space. I remember sitting, standing, lying 2 days next to a Canadian lad with the stinkiest rawhide boots (and feet). He did have a load of hash though.

8. Be on June 6, 2011 at 10:18

I’m a paleo-libertarian-Dead head from way back. I followed a few tours in the late 70s and early 80s- back before the time of the touch heads and the Dead’s popularity. I’m not sure I want to see them without Jerry – hence I haven’t. But I listen to them all the time. Peace, love, and capitalism – groove on! If you think Dead Heads aren’t capitalistic you haven’t seen all the creative ways we used to come up with to sell “stuff” in the parking lot before the show to make sure we could afford to get to the next one.

Jimmy? How about Jimmy Cliff!

9. Kim C. on June 6, 2011 at 10:23

Would-be Deadhead, here. I was born at the wrong time. By the time I knew who Jerry was, he was on the way out. “Garcia” is my son’s middle name. My husband caught over 300 shows. Peaceful People, indeed.

We also love Clapton and Santana. Anyone who really knows their way around an axe.

It was great hearing your take on the concert. Sounds like you had a good time.

PS – As far and the previous comment about stoners and jocks hitting up the shows, I think it’s true of ALL concerts that some go for the music and some go for the party. Personally, I go for the music (but I also enjoy the party).

10. lynn on June 6, 2011 at 10:57

Saw the Dead a couple of times, in ’87 and also in the early 90s, about a year before Jerry died. I was incredibly stoned for that first show, completely sober for the second. And the music was great both times. Those guys could play their asses off.

I also caught Santana around 1989 in NYC — another great show.

I feel EXTREMELY privileged to have grown up in the 70s, the era of the ubiquitous guitar solo. When pretty much every song on the radio had to have one, from pop fluff to rock to country R&B to funk to reggae, you name it. Every song had a guitar solo. Is that kinda like ‘a chicken in every pot?’

And speaking of mary jane. . . absolutely paleo. It is a flower after all. But all things in moderation, y’know?

11. Alex on June 7, 2011 at 05:20

I was a Deadhead back in the early 80’s, and IIRC, I went to 8 Dead shows and 3 Jerry Garcia Band shows. I drifted away from their music many years ago. Instrumentally, Furthur sounds just like the Dead, but, for me, the lyrics are painful to listen to. A Jerry song with anyone other than Jerry singing it just doesn’t cut it.

• Be on June 7, 2011 at 16:26

Agreed. Unless it is a song Jerry covered! Though there were lots of them Jerry did better!

12. Chigins on June 7, 2011 at 20:19

Thanks for the Groove… Made my night 🙂

13. Jeff on June 8, 2011 at 08:16

Saw the Dead four times. 1. 10-73 (get Dick’s Picks #19 this is the show) Then in 82, 85, and 95. I still only listen to the Grateful Dead station on XM radio. They can’t be beat.

Jeff