Inbox Items, Bits & Pieces

A few of the unanswered, unresolved, unfiled items from the FTA inbox, oldest to newest.

~ Derek emails:

Loyal reader of you blog, especially since months ago, when I was in a rough spot about my testosterone and started to research how could I increase it naturally. That research took me to diet, and its profound impact in hormones, and from there I discovered Paleodiet. According the countless scientific studies I read (yes, I’m obsessive) the diet that optimizes testosterone is basically a paleo Diet free of too much carbs. I had the epiphany that “every man should know about this” (because I had no idea about hormones, or really healthy diet, and low testosterone seems too much common nowadays) and put my research in a free ebook about increasing testosterone, where I explain the keys to diet and lifestyle that allowed me to recover my motivation and drive (including sex drive and performance), with no drugs, no strange supplements and nothing that was not tested by science (I quote about 35 scientific studies in the report and I gathered lots more, as I said, I’m a bit obsessive).

The Testosterone Report. The report is free.

~ A number of people emailed about this comprehensive review of the paleo diet by Jon Barron of Baseline of Health. It’s pretty fair and balanced and get s lot right.

The idea that the so-called paleo Diet is inherently healthier is simply not supported by the evidence, either ancient or modern. What is supported is that eating modern highly processed, high-glycemic foods is unhealthy. Diabetes was virtually unknown in China until people began eating the modern Western diet. But before people started eating modern diets in China, they weren’t eating anything remotely close to the paleo Diet. They were eating a largely vegetarian diet grounded in rice and noodles. For centuries, they ate grains without problems. It was the introduction of refined sugars and oils and processed fast foods “what done em in,” to quote Eliza Doolittle. As a side note, although meat consumption has gone up dramatically in China, with disease rates climbing right alongside them, it’s probably not the meat that’s causing the problem. It’s most likely all of the refined, processed, fast food that’s killing them.

~ “Help Us Find A Cure!”

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

Ideas? Anyone? Such a mystery. Certainly “Mega Jugs” have nothing to do with the doubling worldwide of diabetes to over 350 million people. See here too.

~ Vegetarian gone Primal / paleo Dean Dwyer emails.

Was chatting with David Csonka (he was the one who did the survey) and he mentioned you were a pretty cool guy so I thought I would introduce myself. I have seen a few of your posts about the vegetarians and vegans out there…I get a good chuckle out of those in fact because I was one of “those” people as well about 7 months ago.

I just had my success story posted on Mark’s Daily Apple last week.

I have also started my own site (www.beingprimal.com) and quickly built up a following. I focus on the Being part of the primal movement. I am very interested in seeing if you want to do an interview via skype.

I am intrigued by the shift you have taken and I like the notion that you are experimenting with this lifestyle and not simply following “the rules”. I call it “taking ownership” and it would be a great lesson I would like to pass onto my flock.

I’ll get with Dean about us getting together on Skype.

1. Blair Norwood on July 20, 2011 at 15:34

“The idea that the so-called Paleo Diet is inherently healthier is simply not supported by the evidence, either ancient or modern.”

The sentence is meaningless since its isn’t clear what they are comparing the paleo diet to. If they are comparing to to the SAD then the sentence is wrong, just plain wrong. There is lots of evidence to show the paleo diet is healther than the SAD.

I get this type of thing from fellow scientists all the time like “there is no clear cut paleo diet” or “I need more evidence”. I just think, put down that box of vegetable oil and grain filled crap you eating and try eating real foods, you will lose weight and feel better, and theres lots of evidence supporting that. They can’t see the forest though the the trees.

Just eat real food – its better for you and theres evidence to prove it.

Sorry for the rant.

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2011 at 09:30

I agree Blair. I thought the para as a whole was pretty good and wanted to keep it in context.

• Blair Norwood on July 21, 2011 at 13:21

Fair enought, I too like the rest of the paragraph.

2. Jim Arkus on July 20, 2011 at 16:49

From the testosterone link:

That something is cholesterol.
    “Woah, woah, wait a moment, what?”
    Are you implying that the “public enemy number one” is what we need to make testosterone?
    I’m not implying anything, I’m totally saying it.

Look, I’m not saying there’s a big conspiracy to turn us all into emasculated pussies.. but damn, if I had to design one on paper, I don’t think I could do better than this. I’m off to eat some eggs.

3. Branch Warren on July 21, 2011 at 09:07

Branch Warren (yes I’m speaking in third person) eats an average of 500 carbs per day. Jay Cutler I believe was over 1000 carbs pre-contest. Add to that a couple of pounds of meat every day. If you don’t know who these guys are then GTFO. And before you say they are elite athletes, weight lifting isn’t really going to deplete glycogen stores beyond what a minimal amount of carbs could replace.

Further, it is well known that a low carb diet will negatively effect the thyroid and thus hormone levels.

Up the carbs, eat plenty of cholesterol, and lift heavy things. The end.

4. Branch Warren on July 20, 2011 at 21:18

Higher carb intakes reduce testosterone? Some of the stupidest shit I’ve ever read.

• Derek on July 21, 2011 at 02:05

Hi Branch:

It’s been quite well studied the inverse relationship between testosterone and insulin, if the body needs insulin to clear sugar from blood, testosterone production has to fade into the background because the priority is insulin, check the studies referenced in the report, I can assure you I don’t have any anti-carbs agenda. The problem are not insulin spikes, wich are a normal healthy process, the problem is constant high insulin in “modern” diets full of sugar and carbs.

Besides that it has been proved too that there is a relationship between fat and testosterone. A high (animal) fat diet increases testosterone, meanwhile too much body fat stored lowers T.

The problem here is that if you increase fat and keep a high carb intake insulin will be all over the place, and not only T production will be directly affected, but the body stays in “fat-storage mode” due to insulin, so we will store that fat and testosterone gets double crossed here.

Best regards.

Derek

• Richard Nikoley on July 20, 2011 at 21:20

Higher carbs to what level?

Don’t be stupid, now. You don’t want to do that.

5. Razwell on July 22, 2011 at 04:51

I somehow doubt Branch Warren is really commenting on here. More likely, just a fan boy of James Krieger. Krieger has a lot of erroneous assumptions and is by no means an obesity expert at all.

The information at my blog discredits both he and Anthony Colpo. Krieger about obesity, Colpo about the HDL hypothesis. Krieger is p[art of the commercial diet industry which exists precariously on false promises, and false erroneous assumptions. Insulin IS a fat regulation hormone ( by no means the only one) But genuine science has demonstrated this. It IS strongly involved.

Science does not currently understand the regulation of fat cells, nor the chemical behavior of fat cell receptors. We have MUCH to learn.

The caloric hypothesis is dead. There is too much it cannot explain. It is far too simplistic. We know enough now to declare that. But the unknowns about obesity are far greater than the knowns. The growing research on gut microbiota and obesity is showing support for true morbid obesity being a disease state. Manuel Uribe is in a disease state.

Lastly professional bodybuilders will resort to smoking to be lean. They are anything but healthy people. They are bloated with drugs that would knock out an elephant. And many natural bodybuilders are not healthy people either. Fanaticism is not good.

People who are by far the healthiest and live the longest are not bodybuilders, marathoners or powerlifters/Strongmen? Olympiclifters. They are people like Okinawan fisherman or farmers in Costa Rica, or goat herders in Sardinia who are robust well into their 90’s and even 100’s.

Sardinia by the way, eats fat rich. But I bet they have fantastic HDL function, similar to the village in Italy that I posted about at my site.